SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread - #5

Nov. 14, 2021 at 1:27 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: aadoyle
Vids dead

Honestly I want to know how much more has to happen before Jim Benning is fired?

Wasnt bad enough he lets Toffoli, Tanev, and Markstrom go in one offseason and all his planned replacements were either bought out or traded but he basically traded 3 expiring **** contracts for OEL who despite retention is making 7.6mill and has not been game changing. Then you got the Poolman deal (facepalm)

Like I think its time for him to go. Green I want to see him under new management before giving him the Fire Boot to.

That's a good point, it's not Green's fault he's got an absolutely horrendous D to work with (and as I've said before, Demko's numbers would be WAY better if he was playing with a normal defense, he's not a bad goalie at all). Benning though has to go, and like you said, how many more times do the moves he makes need to be proved as epic fails before he gets the boot? Don't have any idea why he's still around. (Sorry about the vid, don't know why it's not working, I just posted the link instead)
aadoyle liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 1:29 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 14, 2021 at 1:36 a.m.
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
That's a good point, it's not Green's fault he's got an absolutely horrendous D to work with (and as I've said before, Demko's numbers would be WAY better if he was playing with a normal defense, he's not a bad goalie at all). Benning though has to go, and like you said, how many more times do the moves he makes need to be proved as epic fails before he gets the boot? Don't have any idea why he's still around. (Sorry about the vid, don't know why it's not working, I just posted the link instead)

If he's not fired this offseason or by the winter break god help that team as how long before Petey or Hughes go yeah I want out. Or even Boeser/Horvat.

As remember this comment Petey made before signing

Cause if their not careful we could see Eichel 2.0
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 1:32 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan

Fire green. He’s lost the room. He’s better off coaching our farm team but we need someone with nhl experience. Yes our d core isn’t great but our forward group should be producing like a top 10 team with all that talent.

Hoglander played 10 minutes tonight, was a +2 and had two goals and an assist

Green has gotta go if he’s going to sit out best player right now
Nov. 14, 2021 at 1:50 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Juiceman
Fire green. He’s lost the room. He’s better off coaching our farm team but we need someone with nhl experience. Yes our d core isn’t great but our forward group should be producing like a top 10 team with all that talent.

Hoglander played 10 minutes tonight, was a +2 and had two goals and an assist

Green has gotta go if he’s going to sit out best player right now

Benning has been in the front office for eight seasons now and his teams have only made the playoffs once (twice if you include the weird bubble playoffs).

Willie Desjardins 109-110-27
Travis Green 130-139-34

And you want him to hire another one???
Fire Benning first, get a new GM. Have a lame duck coach in Green this year and find a new one next year.
aadoyle, A_Habs_fan and yikes liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 1:53 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Benning has been in the front office for eight seasons now and his teams have only made the playoffs once (twice if you include the weird bubble playoffs).

Travis Green 130-139-34

Fire Benning first, get a new GM. Have a lame duck coach in Green this year and find a new one next year.

That seems like a smart idea

Better do it quick as next offseason his Nephew is available

Aquilini should also be gone along with Benning as he has not really impressed all that much either.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 2:00 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Travis Green 130-139-34

Nah. Fire Benning and get a new head coach. Wait a minute, no. Get rid of Aquaman first cause he is quite literally sinking the team. Get rid of everyone except for Ian Clark Brad Shaw and the Sedins

At this point, the Sedins should either take over coaching and gm position, or straight up come out of retirement and drag this team of the whole they dug
Nov. 14, 2021 at 2:06 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Nah. Fire Benning and get a new head coach. Wait a minute, no. Get rid of Aquaman first cause he is quite literally sinking the team. Get rid of everyone except for Ian Clark Brad Shaw and the Sedins

At this point, the Sedins should either take over coaching and gm position, or straight up come out of retirement and drag this team of the whole they dug

I would think Nucks fans want Benning out also so no point in having him fire Green and hire Boudreau, Julien or whoever else is out there. New GM’s like their own coaches so better off getting Benning out first IMO
Nov. 14, 2021 at 2:07 a.m.

Aquilini should also be gone along with Benning as he has not really impressed all that much either.

How are you gonna fire the owner lol

(if you find out please for the love of god let me know so I can fire Melnyk, and then forward it to Sabres fans because I pity them)
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 2:07 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

They need to clean house, GM and coach IMO. But start with Benning.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 2:16 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 14, 2021 at 2:33 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
How are you gonna fire the owner lol

(if you find out please for the love of god let me know so I can fire Melnyk, and then forward it to Sabres fans because I pity them)

Canucks Sports & Entertainment could request Aqulini step back from being the president and focus on his company the Aquilini Investment Group. Which would allow for them to appoint someone better suited for the job. So while not a firing more like a passing on the torch so to speak.

A good example is seen in Buffalo as ifwe look at the Buffalo Bills the Pegula's let management run the team and dont interfere anymore which is resulting in significant improvements. Dont know why they dont do the same with the sabers but I guess they know better.

Aquilini should do the same thing for Vancouver as eventually this is gonna get to buffalo levels of bad where people wont want to go to games and 1 by 1 their stars are either gonna ask to be traded or leave via FA. Now to start on the right path fire Benning
Nov. 14, 2021 at 2:25 a.m.
Canucks Sports & Entertainment could request Aqulini step back from being the president and focus on his company the Aquilini Investment Group. Which would allow for them to appoint someone better suited for the job. So while not a firing more like a passing on the torch so to speak.

A good example is seen in Buffalo as ifwe look at the Buffalo Bills the Pegula's let management run the team and dont interfere anymore which is resulting in significant improvements. Dont know why they dont do the same with the sabers but I guess they know better.

Aquilini should do the same thing for Vancouver as eventually this is gonna get to buffalo levels of bad where people wont want to go to games and 1 by 1 their stars are either gonna ask to be traded or leave via FA.

Yeah, good luck telling him that. Rule #1 is you don't piss off the boss, and he's EVERYONE'S boss. If he doesn't do it of his own volition it ain't happening.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 9:10 a.m.
Former Hockey Fan
If he's not fired this offseason or by the winter break god help that team as how long before Petey or Hughes go yeah I want out. Or even Boeser/Horvat.

As remember this comment Petey made before signing

Cause if their not careful we could see Eichel 2.0

No matter how much the owner likes Benning, it is impossible for Benning not to be fired if he misses the playoffs this year. He specifically made moves so that the Canucks can win now while sacrificing the future, and if they miss in their win-now year then this team is in deep ****.
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, A_Habs_fan, MatthewsFan and 1 other person liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:08 a.m.
Farewell
Edited Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:17 a.m.
Random (but not hypothetical) question: How long do you give a member of your fantasy league to accept or decline a trade before cancelling?
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:09 a.m.

Doesn’t work
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:20 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Doesn’t work

Yeah, I know, don't know why YT is being so frustrating with this one. I think it's the underscore/dash in the video ID that throws the embedded link off. Well, here's the link anyway (it's Demko actively getting stripped by his own defenseman to give Marchessault his 2nd goal of the game, and seal a win for the Knights): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ts-Fg_qqg
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
Random (but not hypothetical) question: How long do you give a member of your fantasy league to accept or decline a trade before cancelling?

Well, I’d say 1-2 days, i mean, if they’re not active, I’m not sure why you’d bother and if they haven’t accepted after that time, i doubt they will
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:25 a.m.
So i made an AGM with the list of every Habs player with an injury so far https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/2895123

PS: It’s a long list
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:28 a.m.
Farewell
Well, I’d say 1-2 days, i mean, if they’re not active, I’m not sure why you’d bother and if they haven’t accepted after that time, i doubt they will

He certainly seems to be active, but I'm not sure if he's A) not taking the deal but hasn't pressed "Decline", B) just hesitating on the deal, or C) hasn't seen it (which would be weird, it's been 12 hours since I proposed the trade, you would think he'd have checked his email by now). It's Taylor Hall (from me) for Tuevo Teravinen, Hall has been a letdown and doesn't look much like his 2nd-half self from last year (no Krejci seems to be playing a role in that), whereas Teravinen racks up a ton of SOG and is having a sneaky good year. (Hopefully this guy doesn't read CF.)
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
The Canucks
Hot Since 1970!

[edit - insert tire fire]
Nov. 14, 2021 at 10:34 a.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Beauty!

tire-fire21.0.jpg.17b2976695b3a630ccc95b321cb0afd1.jpg
Nov. 14, 2021 at 11:37 a.m.
Quoting: McGruff
Beauty!

tire-fire21.0.jpg.17b2976695b3a630ccc95b321cb0afd1.jpg

That's also the Habs right now due to everyone having an injury and our players missing their linemates
Nov. 14, 2021 at 11:43 a.m.
Farewell
That's also the Habs right now due to everyone having an injury and our players missing their linemates

Not to pile on, but it's not going to get any prettier with a Monetembeault-Primeau tandem
A_Habs_fan, zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 11:45 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: Zuki9797
thoughts on the larkin hit on allen? looks like it wasn’t a penalty but maybe it should’ve been. i want to hear thoughts

Petry pushed him from behind in the small of the back. Larkin would never have collided with Allen if not for that.
A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 11:45 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
My most realistic and serious Armchair GM yet:

Worst team in history to Cup champions

I don’t think the Sharks ever consider that trade haha
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Nov. 14, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
Not to pile on, but it's not going to get any prettier with a Monetembeault-Primeau tandem

Yep, we all know that. Not sure why we called up Primeau, seems like a great way to ruin another prospect by throwing him to the wolves, I'd have rather seen McNiven get called up

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll