SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread - #7

Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:17 a.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Are they would need is Keller and jacob and maybe there best goalie. And maybe some depth guys

If you added, Chychrun, Keller, Soderstrom, Hayton...the goalie. Their first this year lmao... That would be unfair.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:22 a.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
If you added, Chychrun, Keller, Soderstrom, Hayton...the goalie. Their first this year lmao... That would be unfair.

From lottery winner to Stanley Cup champion in a year, sounds like something out of a video game.
capsfan2121, zk97 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:23 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
It seems inevitable that Arizona is moving now, and it seems the most realistic destination is Houston. I would find it interesting how the league would go about a hypothetical Coyotes move to Houston for a couple reasons.

1. Toyota Center has hosted hockey before (the Houston Aeros played there, before they relocated), but I would be interested if the likely owner, Tilman Fertitta, petitions the city for a new stadium. I have seen some fans complain about Toyota center and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a negotiation was reached with the city in order to build a new stadium for the Coyotes and Rockets.

2. I'm interested to see how the team would be marketed to the City of Houston. The team will likely still be awful and right in the middle of a rebuild, so they can't just rely on getting a lot of bandwagon fans that may not stay when the team is bad (looking right at you, Vegas). However, I think they can still be successful at gaining fans, as long as they correctly market their stars. They need to make a bigger effort to promote Chychrun as the face of the franchise. I think they could also benefit by using some of the success of other teams in the area (well really just the Astros right now), in order to get more non-hockey fans into the game.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:25 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Devil1122
Off to Houston

Or Quebec plz
oilersguy, Devil and Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
It seems inevitable that Arizona is moving now, and it seems the most realistic destination is Houston. I would find it interesting how the league would go about a hypothetical Coyotes move to Houston for a couple reasons.

1. Toyota Center has hosted hockey before (the Houston Aeros played there, before they relocated), but I would be interested if the likely owner, Tilman Fertitta, petitions the city for a new stadium. I have seen some fans complain about Toyota center and I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a negotiation was reached with the city in order to build a new stadium for the Coyotes and Rockets.

2. I'm interested to see how the team would be marketed to the City of Houston. The team will likely still be awful and right in the middle of a rebuild, so they can't just rely on getting a lot of bandwagon fans that may not stay when the team is bad (looking right at you, Vegas). However, I think they can still be successful at gaining fans, as long as they correctly market their stars. They need to make a bigger effort to promote Chychrun as the face of the franchise. I think they could also benefit by using some of the success of other teams in the area (well really just the Astros right now), in order to get more non-hockey fans into the game.

I really want them to use the astrodome but it’s very unlikely. It’s just sitting there and they could make that part of Houston a professional sports complex.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:31 a.m.
cautious optimism

my theory is that Bettman will buy the team himself and the team would be owned by the league (much like the New Orleans Hornets were in the NBA for a time) just to keep them in Arizona (likely by giving a bunch of money to the city of Glendale to extend the lease to Gila River Arena). He's gone this far to keep them in the desert, why not go farther?
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:31 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Or Quebec plz

Quebec won't happen because it's a Canadian market and American markets are easier
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:56 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
I really want them to use the astrodome but it’s very unlikely. It’s just sitting there and they could make that part of Houston a professional sports complex.

That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's viable. I know there have been some failed projects to use the Astrodome in the past, but I don't think this is the use for it. I think the issues there is

1. It's not as downtown as Toyota Center is, and I think especially a team in Houston could benefit from being from being downtown.

2. The Astrodome has far too many seats for an NHL arena. It holds over 60000, which is far too much for an NHL team to fill. If they wanted to make it work they would likely want to remove a lot of seats, and I don't know what effect a large empty space above the arena would do to the ice and such.

3. The team would have to tiptoe around Sunday games during the NFL season, as the Astrodome is surrounded by parking lots intended for the Texans, meaning there is likely not enough parking for both teams to coexist during the NFL season. Toyota Center would not have these problems.

As cool as it would be to go to the Astrodome, I just don't see it happening.
capsfan2121 and Devil liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:58 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Or Quebec plz

Yeah eh! Or another ontario team would be cool. EXTREMELY unlikely but cool.
capsfan2121 and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 10:07 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
That's an interesting idea, but I don't think it's viable. I know there have been some failed projects to use the Astrodome in the past, but I don't think this is the use for it. I think the issues there is

1. It's not as downtown as Toyota Center is, and I think especially a team in Houston could benefit from being from being downtown.

2. The Astrodome has far too many seats for an NHL arena. It holds over 60000, which is far too much for an NHL team to fill. If they wanted to make it work they would likely want to remove a lot of seats, and I don't know what effect a large empty space above the arena would do to the ice and such.

3. The team would have to tiptoe around Sunday games during the NFL season, as the Astrodome is surrounded by parking lots intended for the Texans, meaning there is likely not enough parking for both teams to coexist during the NFL season. Toyota Center would not have these problems.

As cool as it would be to go to the Astrodome, I just don't see it happening.

I know I was think ping in the Astrodome with all that space that could put stores, restaurants, and some attractions within the facility and the team could practice a nrg arena. It’s sad it’s just sitting there. After watching abandoned by bright sun films these giant places get abandoned because they are just too big and expensive to maintain
Dec. 9, 2021 at 10:15 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Bobcat205
my theory is that Bettman will buy the team himself and the team would be owned by the league (much like the New Orleans Hornets were in the NBA for a time) just to keep them in Arizona (likely by giving a bunch of money to the city of Glendale to extend the lease to Gila River Arena). He's gone this far to keep them in the desert, why not go farther?

I wouldn't be entirely surprised by that, but I don't know if the NHL really wants to take control of the Coyotes again. When they owned the team for 2009-2013, they Coyotes had some success during that time, and the increased fan support from that time, in my opinion, helped to sell the team to a buyer that was willing to stay in Arizona. Since the Yotes don't have that type of support now, I see the NHL having a much harder time justifying sinking the necessary amount of money to keep Arizona stay put.

I also think they will be more willing to consider a move to Houston as it still satisfies Bettman's desire to expand to southern cities. Houston is (if I remember correctly) the 4th biggest city in the USA, meaning there are plenty of possible fans to draw from, and is also located in the south, which has seemingly been a point of interest for Bettman.

Finally, remembering back to when the NHL was looking for a buyer, I don't remember there being any interest from outside groups other than from True North, who obviously wanted the team to move to Winnipeg. Now the NHL has a potential owner in Tilman Fertitta, who is willing to pony up the capital required to make a team in Houston work. I do think we could see the NHL owning the team for a season or two perhaps, but I think Bettman might finally be willing to give up on the Phoenix experiment. The only thing I can see the NHL doing that might work would be moving back into Phoenix proper. But even then, I'm not sure that would be enough to save this team.
Bobcat205, capsfan2121, MitchMarner_16 and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 10:23 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Edited Dec. 9, 2021 at 10:32 a.m.
I know I was think ping in the Astrodome with all that space that could put stores, restaurants, and some attractions within the facility and the team could practice a nrg arena. It’s sad it’s just sitting there. After watching abandoned by bright sun films these giant places get abandoned because they are just too big and expensive to maintain

Heyyyyy, a fellow BSF enjoyer!

As for your idea, Putting some stores in there to supplement a hockey team wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'm not sure if the logistics on that would work for parking, traffic, etc. I think the Astrodome is much more likely to become something related to the Texans, as part of an experience. I've seen a couple ideas where it was used along with the Texans stadium and the former Six Flags Astroworld, but I honestly think it's going to sit there unused for years to come. Its a shame its not being used, but I guess that is just how that goes.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 10:48 a.m.

As for your idea, Putting some stores in there to supplement a hockey team wouldn't be the worst idea, but I'm not sure if the logistics on that would work for parking, traffic, etc. I think the Astrodome is much more likely to become something related to the Texans, as part of an experience. I've seen a couple ideas where it was used along with the Texans stadium and the former Six Flags Astroworld, but I honestly think it's going to sit there unused for years to come. Its a shame its not being used, but I guess that is just how that goes.

ayyyyy we got a crew of BSF fans here!
NoVaSpartan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 10:51 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
I have a question. I’m currently going to the best school for lacrosse St Anthony’s high school. I’m their number one goalie for the 2024 and 2025 age group and for the next four years. But I’m unhappy with the school and I want to go back to public school. The athletic director for the public school wants me to go back to his school but my parents say going to St Anthony’s is better for me. What do you guys think. To bring it back to hockey does ovi wear the number eight because he is the 8 th wonder of t(e world. The ageless wonder
Dec. 9, 2021 at 10:51 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
ayyyyy we got a crew of BSF fans here!

They have great stuff
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:04 a.m.
I have a question. I’m currently going to the best school for lacrosse St Anthony’s high school. I’m their number one goalie for the 2024 and 2025 age group and for the next four years. But I’m unhappy with the school and I want to go back to public school. The athletic director for the public school wants me to go back to his school but my parents say going to St Anthony’s is better for me. What do you guys think. To bring it back to hockey does ovi wear the number eight because he is the 8 th wonder of t(e world. The ageless wonder

Private schools are normally better, just in terms of what they are pushing students to get. A private school can be shut down if they don't get good grades etc. If you want to be a lacrosse goalie, I'd stay there. Pretty sure you in the top 99% of schools for athletics.

I don't think you would find a public school that would be better for you in the long term, and now than your school now. Even if you don't excel in Lacrosse, if you Excel in academics, collages take academics into consideration for private school as higher than public some times.
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:17 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Private schools are normally better, just in terms of what they are pushing students to get. A private school can be shut down if they don't get good grades etc. If you want to be a lacrosse goalie, I'd stay there. Pretty sure you in the top 99% of schools for athletics.

I don't think you would find a public school that would be better for you in the long term, and now than your school now. Even if you don't excel in Lacrosse, if you Excel in academics, collages take academics into consideration for private school as higher than public some times.

I know. Before you enter our locker room there is a news paper that says going to duke is easy as one, two, three. I’m confused about top 99% of schools for athletics. I want to play college lacrosse for d1. That is my goal. So I guess I have to get used to this school
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:31 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Quebec won't happen because it's a Canadian market and American markets are easier

Easier how? I think Canada would be way easier, Houston would just expand the NHL's popularity which is what Bettman wants
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:41 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Edited Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:47 a.m.

Ok so I’m from Long Island (freshman in college now, went to kellenberg) and I’d say if ur unhappy go to public school. Almost every school on Long Island is good for lacrosse. I don’t think there’s a reason to pay any extra for high school if your not happy. There’s so many great places to play lacrosse on Long Island that it doesn’t have to be the absolute best one. I know kids from st Anthony’s, and I’ve never really heard anyone say they love it. Personally, I loved loved loved kellenberg, and I would recommend u check it out in a biased way. It has a good lacrosse program, and a kid I graduated with was a goalie and went D1 in college. In short, my best advice is do whatever would make you happy
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:48 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Ok so I’m from Long Island (freshman in college now, went to kellenberg) and I’d say if ur unhappy go to public school. Almost every school on Long Island is good for lacrosse. I don’t think there’s a reason to pay any extra for high school if your not happy. There’s so many great places to play lacrosse on Long Island that it doesn’t have to be the absolute best one. I know kids from st Anthony’s, and I’ve never really heard anyone say they love it. Personally, I loved loved loved kellenberg, and I would recommend u check it out in a biased way. It has a good lacrosse program, and a kid I graduated with was a goalie and went D1 in college. In short, my best advice is fo whatever would make you happy

My coaches think I can go d1. My hometown bayshore thinks they could win a state championship if I come back. I’ve talked to my parents about it and they always shut me down. I guess I will finish out the year. Thanks for the advice. Kellenburg is nice I think my sister will go there but maybe not because she does varsity cheer as a 7th grader so she is locked in
AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:49 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤
capsfan2121, AndrewLadd, A_Habs_fan and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:50 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: MatthewsFan

🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤

What do we do if we got the discs
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
My coaches think I can go d1. My hometown bayshore thinks they could win a state championship if I come back. I’ve talked to my parents about it and they always shut me down. I guess I will finish out the year. Thanks for the advice. Kellenburg is nice I think my sister will go there but maybe not because she does varsity cheer as a 7th grader so she is locked in

Varsity cheer in 7th grade jeez seems like you have a family full of athletes 😂. Definitely give it the year, especially lacrosse season. It’s very possible things start getting a lot better once it starts. While what your parents think is important, the decision is ultimately up to you. I hope things get better! If you ever need anything just quote one of my posts, and if you have a twitter you can dm me on there!
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Varsity cheer in 7th grade jeez seems like you have a family full of athletes 😂. Definitely give it the year, especially lacrosse season. It’s very possible things start getting a lot better once it starts. While what your parents think is important, the decision is ultimately up to you. I hope things get better! If you ever need anything just quote one of my posts, and if you have a twitter you can dm me on there!

Ok thank you. I definitely will.
AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 11:53 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
What do we do if we got the discs

It looks like they just got the license which would allow them to add players to the game that they wouldn't otherwise be able to (US + Russian based prospects) Right now I think it's only jerseys but still a W
capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll