SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021/2022 NHL Season Discussion Thread - #7

Dec. 8, 2021 at 11:53 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Nobody talks about it, but Arizona bringing Jaskin from overseas at $3.2M with a M-NTC is hilarious.
Alfie11, capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 11:56 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: SevenLeg
Nobody talks about it, but Arizona bringing Jaskin from overseas at $3.2M with a M-NTC is hilarious.

They should be more focused on paying their bills on timetears of joy
SevenLeg, capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 11:57 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: Devil1122
They should be more focused on paying their bills on timetears of joy

Imagine if it's Jaskin's contract that made them broke.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 11:57 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Hockey? On Sportscenter???

Suprised they didn't mention Lebron
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 11:58 p.m.

Gotta reach the cap floor somehow lol. He’s been a pretty solid KHL player for a few years so that was probably market value in Russia, and they’d need to convince him to come back and were probably hoping to farm a free pick from it at the deadline. It’s gonna be hilarious when there’s rumours about him in the leadup to the deadline, and then he goes for like, maybe a 7th, probably not even, because Arizona can’t afford to retain on him lmao (they need to retain half on Kessel to make him affordable for contenders and that’s their 3rd retention slot) and nobody will want Jaskin at full price.
SevenLeg liked this.
Dec. 8, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Imagine if it's Jaskin's contract that made them broke.

It actually might be

SevenLeg and zk97 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 12:07 a.m.
It actually might be

Are Katie Strang and Rick Westhead just tag-teaming the biggest stories in the hockey world this year? They've both been on fire lmao. Emily Kaplan and Frank Seravalli have had noticeably great years as well. Obviously the rest of the regulars (Friedge, LeBrun, CJ, Dreger, most Athletic beat writers) have been pretty solid as well, but I think those 4 have done some outstanding reporting this year, particularly the first two.
Devil, SevenLeg, capfriendlyaccount and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 12:12 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: Alfie11
Are Katie Strang and Rick Westhead just tag-teaming the biggest stories in the hockey world this year? They've both been on fire lmao. Emily Kaplan and Frank Seravalli have had noticeably great years as well. Obviously the rest of the regulars (Friedge, LeBrun, CJ, Dreger, most Athletic beat writers) have been pretty solid as well, but I think those 4 have done some outstanding reporting this year, particularly the first two.

Guys like Arthur Staple, Michael Russo, Kevin Kurz are also good reporters
The most interesting guy is Kevin Weekes. He's either hit or miss
Alfie11 and MatthewsFan liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 12:13 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

Houston Paysbillsontime > Arizona Cap dumps
A_Habs_fan, zk97 and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 12:16 a.m.
I make typos
anyone else find it absolutely crazy the St. Louis won the cup 3 years, 2019 feels like it was a lifetime ago
AndrewLadd and zk97 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 12:25 a.m.
Guys like Arthur Staple, Michael Russo, Kevin Kurz are also good reporters
The most interesting guy is Kevin Weekes. He's either hit or miss

Yeah those are some of the higher end Athletic guys. Russo especially seems to put out a ton of excellent stuff, but honestly most of the guys are so good I just kinda included them in that umbrella category lol. I'm really not a fan of Kevin Weekes, he definitely has connections, but he seems like more of a mouthpiece than an insider. The good insiders vett their information (except for Dreger in the whole Marner saga lol, lost some respect for him then), but Weekes seems to just repeat stuff, which is why he's sometimes right and sometimes so blatantly wrong that you can't take him seriously (e.g. Tkachuk/Eichel thing lmao). I also like Garrioch as a Sens fan, he usually has a lot of good stuff on the Sens beat, I feel like a lot of markets don't have guys on the beat that compete with the Athletic guys (just because they have a great eye for talent and the money to recruit the best writers lol), but Garrioch is one that hangs in there and provides good content.
Devil liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 1:19 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Dec. 9, 2021 at 1:26 a.m.

Didn't I mention that in part 3 or 4 lul

I had a feeling it was way to much
Dec. 9, 2021 at 1:24 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
It actually might be

So if they can barely afford what they got now how the **** do people see Matthews joining them lul. His bonus money alone would equate to how much they are currently spending on their entire team lul and they cant even afford that

Moving on from that I think it's time for Bettman to realize Arizona ain't sustainable. Moving the team to Houston should cut costs and increase revenue. But let's be honest he would rather see the team go bankrupt and collapse than do that
Dec. 9, 2021 at 6:53 a.m.
Tintin over 1122

whoa
Dec. 9, 2021 at 6:54 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Trouba’s hit yesterday was one of those very hard but legal hits

Hits to the head aren't legal. It's the responsibility of the the player throwing the hit to ensure it can be/is done in a clean manner, i.e not delivered to the head. It's good advice to keep your head up for your personal safety; having it down doesn't mean guys are permitted to run it through.
capsfan2121, MitchMarner_16, BigDaddyOvech and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 7:19 a.m.
Quoting: McGruff
Don't know where you're leading me w/ SJ rockin some guy & Sid's situation...???

Back to Point However:

Seth Jones gave JK a suicide pass...that is the tragedy here (110%). And, I saw that on the live-in-game TV action w/ one replay.

How many times have you watched that play?

You know what, it doesn't matter.

Back to your point:
JK has two concrete options on the play:

A - try to corral the bad pass from SJ and get smoked, or
B - PULL OUT Mofo, refocus up-ice, and get ready for the hit.

Both are a milli-fraction of a second. One keeps him in the game, the other not so much...

Wish he had chose the latter, he did not.

BUT, that's not JT's problem as he committed in the same milli-frac-of-a-second and hit a guy square in the chest...

Play-On...

I don’t feel like arguing with you all day, I have more important things to do. This will be my last post in this conversation. We’re on complete opposite sides of the fence and obviously won’t reach a conclusion.

I’m leading you to show how your point of “trouba has no suspension” is invalid because the DoPS sucks.

I’ve actually watched both hits multiple times thanks. I’m not some douche who argues over smt he knows nothing about

You can’t blame jones, no player is perfect, and the play here is to do what JK did, most guys will do that. Trouba hits with an upward motion both times which you can’t do.

Yup. Totally no head right square in the chest. All JK and NMs fault here. Troubas innocent.

5x83k6.jpg5x83rj.jpg
NoVaSpartan, capsfan2121, BigDaddyOvech and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:11 a.m.
cautious optimism

Now we need the pads that say “Pads”
capsfan2121, zk97, BuFfaLOFaN and 3 others liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:14 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Edited Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:44 a.m.
I will be posting power rankings tomorrow. If you have any idea of where your favorite team is let me know
zk97 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:19 a.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Edited Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:30 a.m.
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
I don’t feel like arguing with you all day, I have more important things to do. This will be my last post in this conversation. We’re on complete opposite sides of the fence and obviously won’t reach a conclusion.

I’m leading you to show how your point of “trouba has no suspension” is invalid because the DoPS sucks.

I’ve actually watched both hits multiple times thanks. I’m not some douche who argues over smt he knows nothing about

You can’t blame jones, no player is perfect, and the play here is to do what JK did, most guys will do that. Trouba hits with an upward motion both times which you can’t do.

Yup. Totally no head right square in the chest. All JK and NMs fault here. Troubas innocent.

5x83k6.jpg5x83rj.jpg

Imo the Mack hit is much cleaner than K one.

Both there isn’t an intent to hit the head but Trouba is choosing to lay these guys out. These hits used to happen all the time (a lot dirtier).

I wouldn’t suspend Trouba but he knows his numbers being taken down (hell I think Nathan said he’s/ the team have taken Troubas number to the media down after the game).

That Mack hit is shoulder to shoulder in your still.

After slowly scanning through it - they’re both CLEAN hits within the rules. But the argument I think you’re bringing up (which Mike Johnson is discussing now on TSN);

SHOULD THE HIT BE LEGAL?

But as Mike Johnson said, they are clean hits. Just not “fun” for the other team at all.

But Trouba is not targeting the head or jumping up (he’s following through with a push not a dirty play).

Personally I watch those hits and say ; if that happened to me I’m pissed but idk if I can actually say it’s dirty.

I’m not saying you’re Flat out wrong but I do think you’re wrong say Trouba is hitting the head or hitting upwards. Because Trouba hitting upwards would be NOTICEABLE he is a big dude and that force/ movement would be seen. He’s leaning and both feet are on the ice.

Just like how Trouba isn’t innocent - these players aren’t free of blame. I get that whole argument above already happened but you can’t say looking down at the puck and the second JK looks up your still picture is taken. But in that whole sequence prior Trouba commits and JK looks up at the last second. As a NHL player you’ve probably been told 80,000 times growing up keep your head up and be aware. They put themselves in bad situations. Doesn’t mean Trouba doesn’t have more blame - but you can’t scream at a rattlesnake for biting you when you put yourself in it’s area. Yeah the snake is to blame for almost killing you - but you’re also at fault for not being more aware/ wise.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:44 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
Imo the Mack hit is much cleaner than K one.

Both there isn’t an intent to hit the head but Trouba is choosing to lay these guys out. These hits used to happen all the time (a lot dirtier).

I wouldn’t suspend Trouba but he knows his numbers being taken down (hell I think Nathan said he’s/ the team have taken Troubas number to the media down after the game).

That Mack hit is shoulder to shoulder in your still.

After slowly scanning through it - they’re both CLEAN hits within the rules. But the argument I think you’re bringing up (which Mike Johnson is discussing now on TSN);

SHOULD THE HIT BE LEGAL?

But as Mike Johnson said, they are clean hits. Just not “fun” for the other team at all.

But Trouba is not targeting the head or jumping up (he’s following through with a push not a dirty play).

Personally I watch those hits and say ; if that happened to me I’m pissed but idk if I can actually say it’s dirty.

I’m not saying you’re Flat out wrong but I do think you’re wrong say Trouba is hitting the head or hitting upwards. Because Trouba hitting upwards would be NOTICEABLE he is a big dude and that force/ movement would be seen. He’s leaning and both feet are on the ice.

Just like how Trouba isn’t innocent - these players aren’t free of blame. I get that whole argument above already happened but you can’t say looking down at the puck and the second JK looks up your still picture is taken. But in that whole sequence prior Trouba commits and JK looks up at the last second. As a NHL player you’ve probably been told 80,000 times growing up keep your head up and be aware. They put themselves in bad situations. Doesn’t mean Trouba doesn’t have more blame - but you can’t scream at a rattlesnake for biting you when you put yourself in it’s area. Yeah the snake is to blame for almost killing you - but you’re also at fault for not being more aware/ wise.

I agree. It's questionable, not dirty, but totally avoidable. I don't think head is main point of contact, but blaming it on the recipient of the hit isnt really fair, and that was my point more or less.

I agree with you saying the K hit was worse than the macK hit. It's not all head, but the head is hit. Concussions are a big, big deal and guys should be more aware of it. Some guys never return to normal after a concussion which is super unfortunate, and IMO players should be more conscious of trying to hit shoulder. and avoid contact with the head
capsfan2121, yikes and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:57 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: Bobcat205
Either:

1. A dispersal draft would occur, where each team would pick a player from that team

OR

2. All players become free agents.

Not sure which one it really is in the NHL rule book since we haven’t had a team fold/contract since the 70s, but those are two options.

Quoting: capsfan2121
I was thinking about those options. Just imagine if Arizona just folds. Its unrealistic but Keller would be saved

The last time this happened, two teams merged. Maybe Buffalo and Arizona can just merge.
BuFfaLOFaN, capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 8:59 a.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
The last time this happened, two teams merged. Maybe Buffalo and Arizona can just merge.

Buffalo would legit be a sick squad with a merger. What happens for cap though?
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:01 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN

Well when 2 teams merge, there's usually a dispersal draft so the team wouldn't be super stacked
capsfan2121 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:03 a.m.
Saskoiler for now

No idea since that merger happened in the 1970's. That would be an issue.
capsfan2121 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 9, 2021 at 9:15 a.m.
Tintin over 1122

Are they would need is Keller and jacob and maybe there best goalie. And maybe some depth guys

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll