SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 WJC Thread

Dec. 27, 2021 at 3:58 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Not to mention both Fitzgerald and Laakason could easily be the 3RD.

Yup. Does Joki no longer look like a top 4D?
Dec. 27, 2021 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Yup. Does Joki no longer look like a top 4D?

No, he does to me. I think him and Dahlin are both struggling to be consistent on a non-competive team. They both step up big time in games where the forward core and goalies are actually putting in the work. Definitely my top pair of the future as of right now.
csick liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:04 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Samuelsson or Ryan Johnson lol

Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Sammuellson or Johnson at the 3LD and Jokiharju is the guy I'd have over Bryson. He's the better Dman IMO.

I wish the Sabres bring back their black/ red Sabres unis then draft solid.

Would be a great team to watch in some sick jerseys. JJP Quinn Krebs all coming soon. Cozens playing well. It’s gonna be a interesting team to follow when your back end is rock solid.
csick and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:08 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: yikes
I wish the Sabres bring back their black/ red Sabres unis then draft solid.

Would be a great team to watch in some sick jerseys. JJP Quinn Krebs all coming soon. Cozens playing well. It’s gonna be a interesting team to follow when your back end is rock solid.

Buffalo may not be able to trade for Carlo or Cernak but Jiricek is a better player than those 2 and has offence to him. That’s who Dahlin needs to play with
BuFfaLOFaN and AndrewLadd liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:10 p.m.
What in tarnation
What an effort from Koivunen, holy crap
MatthewsFan liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:11 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
FHpBmq0UUAAWCsy.jpg

Bobby Mac conducted a quick pre-WJC flash poll of eight scouts to rank the top 10 2022 NHL draft prospects playing in the WJC. Here is that top 10.

Edit:

Obviously guys like Miroshnichenko, Geekie, Savoie, Nazar and Howard, amongst other potential Top 10 picks, well, they’re not playing in the WJC.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:15 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Buffalo may not be able to trade for Carlo or Cernak but Jiricek is a better player than those 2 and has offence to him. That’s who Dahlin needs to play with

I know teams are finally catching on to the value of guys like Middleton/ Rutta (more bang for your buck) or Cernak/ Carlo (they’re more valuable). I don’t think they got forgotten but maybe “lost?”.

We all know Methot/ Karlsson was a pair made in heaven and not many teams have been able to find that - *😤HMPH 😤 * consistently.

Now with Middleton - Karlsson you’re seeing a dominant a top pair in the league. Allowing Karlsson to thrive. And similar to Hedman/ Rutta. They just worked. Rutta ain’t worth 5 mil. Neither is Middleton. But man they’re gonna sign for 1-2mil but provide irreplaceable value. Then you have guys like Cernak Carlo who are just more dynamic/ talented versions but still show you that you don’t need to be a elite player to have a near elite impact. It’s hard to really quantify how that makes sense.

Middleton rn is probably gonna get a new contract of 1-2 aav but for 2-5 years. So if he’s being paid 10m total, he’s really allowing Karlsson to thrive and giving the team a huge bang for your buck and providing an intangible value.
csick, MatthewsFan and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:16 p.m.
KFTW
I know teams are finally catching on to the value of guys like Middleton/ Rutta (more bang for your buck) or Cernak/ Carlo (they’re more valuable). I don’t think they got forgotten but maybe “lost?”.

We all know Methot/ Karlsson was a pair made in heaven and not many teams have been able to find that - *😤HMPH 😤 * consistently.

Now with Middleton - Karlsson you’re seeing a dominant a top pair in the league. Allowing Karlsson to thrive. And similar to Hedman/ Rutta. They just worked. Rutta ain’t worth 5 mil. Neither is Middleton. But man they’re gonna sign for 1-2mil but provide irreplaceable value. Then you have guys like Cernak Carlo who are just more dynamic/ talented versions but still show you that you don’t need to be a elite player to have a near elite impact. It’s hard to really quantify how that makes sense.

Middleton rn is probably gonna get a new contract of 1-2 aav but for 2-5 years. So if he’s being paid 10m total, he’s really allowing Karlsson to thrive and giving the team a huge bang for your buck and providing an intangible value.

Exactly.
Quinn Hughes-Carlo or Dahlin-Carlo would be a match made in heaven. And so would Chychrun/Girard with Seider
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:17 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: justaBoss

Lambert 5 assists in just under 2 games now
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:19 p.m.
What in tarnation

Elite
EsoYeezus69 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:19 p.m.
What in tarnation

And a goal now lol
csick, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:20 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: justaBoss

He scored while sitting downtears of joy
csick, EsoYeezus69 and justaBoss liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:21 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
7-1 Finlandflushed cheeks

Rip Austria
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:23 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Poor Austrian goalie, their team is getting cleaned out.

I don’t think this is good for Finland tho. They’re gaining confidence but they haven’t had their goalie really tested (he played well in the German game) and they haven’t faced a competitive team. Germany played damn well but they ain’t a “competitive” medal team.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:26 p.m.
What in tarnation
Poor Austrian goalie, their team is getting cleaned out.

I don’t think this is good for Finland tho. They’re gaining confidence but they haven’t had their goalie really tested (he played well in the German game) and they haven’t faced a competitive team. Germany played damn well but they ain’t a “competitive” medal team.

They're using 3G in this match though. Don't think Jatkola's going to play any more games in this tournament
yikes and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:28 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I’d add in Alexandre Carrier, criminally under rated.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:56 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Devil1122
7-1 Finlandflushed cheeks

Rip Austria

Did Neimela of Hirvonen get any points? (I was working on making a rink so I don't know).
csick liked this.
MOVE THE COYOTES
I discussed this similarly on the prospect thread or something.

I think Wright will be good, but he just.. there’s not that wow factor. Like Wright will be good but he doesn’t often display a dynamic talent. Wright is gifted and steady, and a leader through play and work ethic. But he doesn’t look like he’s gonna be on the level on Crosby or whatever. He just doesn’t give me point per game vibes. Whereas guys like Bedard Michkov have that - wow this guy could be over a point per game.

Like if I was projecting Wright:

60-70 points / 82 games (that’s obviously very good) - 1st line steady Center

But someone like Bedard looks like that high octane 80 point guy +. Less steady but more boom for you buck.

I think Wright is really similar to Crosby. Though I don't think he'll be quite as good. I think Michkov will be extremely good, and he looked great in the Russia VS Sweden game. Bedard is going to be good, but I think people are kinda getting a little too excited about him right now. And he's pretty small.
Hakuna Matata
WJC has been fun

The one player who I have been watching is Joel Määttä

Yes hes not gonna be a first or second round pick kind of player but I believe he fits what we need in the future.

Hes been having fun this tournament so far and is showing hes not just a current Riley Nash kind of player.
csick and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:57 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Saskleaf
Did Neimela of Hirvonen get any points? (I was working on making a rink so I don't know).

Niemela just 1G. Hirvonen nothing
Saskleaf and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf

Niemela got a goal

Saskleaf and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
KFTW
Quoting: aadoyle
WJC has been fun

The one player who I have been watching is Joel Määttä

Yes hes not gonna be a first or second round pick kind of player but I believe he fits what we need in the future.

Hes been having fun this tournament so far and is showing hes not just a current Riley Nash kind of player.

What position
Dec. 27, 2021 at 4:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
What position

2-Way Center who focuses more on Defense

But there is offensive upside as we are seeing this WJC
csick and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 5:04 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Finland has almost as many goals (7) as Austria has shots (9)
BuFfaLOFaN, Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Dec. 27, 2021 at 5:06 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Dec. 27, 2021 at 5:14 p.m.
Quoting: JetsCanesSens
I think Wright is really similar to Crosby. Though I don't think he'll be quite as good. I think Michkov will be extremely good, and he looked great in the Russia VS Sweden game. Bedard is going to be good, but I think people are kinda getting a little too excited about him right now. And he's pretty small.

Size don’t matter. Not saying you’re like “these people”. But so many Scouts and people degrade prospects based on size. But man Caufield, Debrincat, Marchand, Gaudreau. These are players who are have learned to play with their size. Even Eklund; watch Eklunds first NHL game vs Jets. Just an easy example (recent draft, kinda small but high value prospect);

Eklund has clearly learned to play around not being large and not being physical and being a target to the other team.

Bedards skill and ceiling are undeniable. If he can expose teams in his play, his size won’t matter. The worry should be if he can’t learn to play his game with his size in the NHL. Guys like Marchand Gaudreau Debrincat have. Caufield is going to learnfull time and has shown that he can. Eklund showed that he can and has been reassigned with a direct assignment to add lean muscle (not get bigger but get stronger and some weight).

Players with these IQ’s levels often learn to adapt and that’s why we see “wow HOW DID CAUFIELD FALL SO FAR???!!!”

It’s because these guys have an insane IQ level we shouldn’t think they can’t adapt. If you’re a small player with a low IQ than maybe that’s a worry. But often these small players are incredibly high IQ players which is why they so often make teams regret passing on them. These guys don’t think the game the same as us. They don’t see the game same as us. They are solving puzzles basically at 20mph on the ice. Because that’s how they survive and how they thrive.

It happens every year, small player high talent high iq falls because small -> small player high talent high iq thrives and becomes a steal because he’s learned -> next draft rinse and repeat.

These kids IQ make up for size and that’s why if you’re a scout and you drop points on a prospects grade based on size; I immediately drop you points as a reliable source. Because it happens far too often.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll