Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Season Discussion Thread #15

Feb. 18, 2022 at 12:10 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: Devil
I think Flames are going to reunite with Giordano
As for the goalie, my guess is MAF

Eh forget it!
Holland doesn't have the balls to do it.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 12:15 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Habs game recap from the dominator coming tomorrow morning
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 12:48 a.m.
Thank you Pavelski
I can see why Slovakia made it to the Top 4.

They're playing really well.
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 12:54 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Lul an Avs fan was going on and on for why they won the Kadri trade

To me nobody has won this trade yet

As of now its a win-win

Kadri has been good for the Avs during the reg season but has not helped the Avs get out of round 2. Meanwhile Kerfoot has not helped leafs out of round 1 but has been a good depth piece.

Sure Kadri is doing better but what if he leaves in FA or does not help the Avs out of round 2 again while Kerfoot helps the leafs out of round 1 and potentially helps them win a cup. Who then is the winner. Kadri can have 100 points but to me its post season success for the team that is a deciding factor in who wins/loses a trade (unless its 2 lottery teams) or a cap dump like trade.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how silly sometimes lul.
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 1:10 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: aadoyle

As of now its a win-win

Kadri has been good for the Avs during the reg season but has not helped the Avs get out of round 2. Meanwhile Kerfoot has not helped leafs out of round 1 but has been a good depth piece.

Sure Kadri is doing better but what if he leaves in FA or does not help the Avs out of round 2 again while Kerfoot helps the leafs out of round 1 and potentially helps them win a cup. Who then is the winner. Kadri can have 100 points but to me its post season success for the team that is a deciding factor in who wins/loses a trade (unless its 2 lottery teams) or a cap dump like trade.

So according to your reasons if the habs trade Cedric paquette for connor mcdavid, and edmonton won the cup, edmonton won the trade.
DirtyDangle liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 1:16 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 18, 2022 at 1:57 a.m.
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
So according to your reasons if the habs trade Cedric paquette for connor mcdavid, and edmonton won the cup, edmonton won the trade.

Thats a very lopsided trade with no similarity to this example. As Pacquette is a 4th liner and Mcdavid is a franchise NHL Player or arguable the Best NHL player rn. But if we go by then lets play ball and add to your proposal.

As I dont think Oilers fans would care how lopsided a trade was if it got them a bunch of Stanley cups. As sure losing Mcdavid for Pacquette would hurt at the start but if it guaranteed them multiple cups Holland would be stupid not to do it.

In expanding your proposal

Lets say this happens and Mcdavid goes to Montreal gets 100 points a season but the Habs dont make the playoffs for the remainder of his contract term or get anywhere close to the finals (round 1-3 exits). Meanwhile Pacquette helps the Oilers win multiple cup . Who then won the trade?

Sure on paper and at the start Montreal but Edmonton having 3 cups as a result of Pacquette balances it out for the fans. As how many teams can say they traded a franchise superstar for a 4th liner but as a result won 3 cups

It would be like what the Raptors did when they got Kawhaii for DeRozan. They traded their franchise player for him but as a result became NBA champions. Meanwhile Spurs got a Center and 2 years of De-Rozen. So in the end it was a win-win trade despite how lopsided it looked against Toronto as Toronto got an NBA championship while Spurs got a useful Center in the end.

In the case of Kerfoot and Kadri if Toronto won the Stanley cup but Kadri had 100 points I dont think Toronto nor its fans would care what they got back for him after all not every team has won a Stanley Cup. Meanwhile Avs fans would be going what did Kadri really do for us. And it would be 100x worse if he leaves via FA.

To end things off heres a question

If you had the choice to either keep your star player but have little to no guarantee of a cup (despite this player getting multiple 100 point season) or would you rather be guaranteed 3 cups in 5 years by trading this player

Which offer do you take

As for Toronto if they had that option Marner would be out the door no matter the return.

Also these kinds of trades seem to happen in the NBA all the time with intriguing results but as I mentioned having the guarantee helps
zk97 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 1:18 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

Rare Tom Holland L (for supporting the Rangers)
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 1:28 a.m.
Hakuna Matata

Surprised Tom Holland aint cheering for a red jersey team as he is Spiderman lul
zk97, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 2 others liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 1:44 a.m.
Edited Feb. 18, 2022 at 1:49 a.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
Oilers are a wagon.

They're a defenceman and a goaltender away from a Cinderella run.

Bookmark this post they're going to the third round minimum under Woodcroft.

Missed this, but I think this is wishful thinking. Not having a goalie is a huge hole. Only twice in the last decade or so has a team won the cup with a sub-.920 goalie (2014 Kings and 2019 Blues, Binnington was .927 in the regular season but only .914 in the playoffs apparently). Quick’s .911 was the lowest, which is still 7 points higher than Smith’s current save percentage. Both of those teams had Selke-calibre centres (Kopi/RoR), elite 2-way defensemen (Doughty/Pietrangelo), and played very well defensively overall (helped by key cogs like Muzzin and Parayko, plus a team buy-in to play a 200-foot game). Edmonton has none of that. They only have 2 defensemen that would crack the top 6 of any top 10 team, and no shutdown guys. They obviously don’t have a goalie. And these aren’t problems you can fix at a trade deadline. You can spend a 1st to get MAF, but then how are you gonna upgrade your D? Are you gonna give up a 2023 1st? One of Holloway or Bourgault? And with what cap space? If you wanna dump a guy like Kassian or Koskinen that’ll cost more assets. The D they need isn’t a Kulak type of 3rd pair fill in, they need a legitimate top 4 guy that can be relied upon to carry a heavy defensive workload for 22+ minutes a night. Honestly probably 2 of those guys. Plus they’re still getting caved in when McD/Drai are off the ice. I don’t think 4 wins is a huge deal when there’s a huge sample size of this not working. We’ve seen them get hot before, they did start like 16-5 under Tippett. Boudreau won his first 7 games in Vancouver and now they’re all the way up in… 12th in the conference. I just think there are fundamentally too many things wrong with the Oilers to expect them to actually go on a run. As much as it would be nice for “playoff style hockey” to be speed and skill, it just isn’t. Cinderella runs recently (Stars, Habs, etc.) have been big, solid defensive teams (Lindell Oleksiak Klingberg Heiskanen and Chiarot Weber Edmundson Petry were the top 4s, almost all of whom are big and more defensively oriented, with the exception of Heiskanen who is just elite at both ends, and Klingberg who is still big and was a good 2-way guy back then) that can grind out a 1-0 win, not teams that need to win 6-5 to have a chance. McDavid and Draisaitl totally have the skill to steal a series, maybe even two, but I think the acquisition cost for assets that will make them a legitimate contender are too high, there are too many holes in the lineup and their playstyle is historically only good in the regular season. I’d argue the Leafs are in a similar mold of having a high flying offense headlined by a couple elite scorers, and I also think they are better defensively and have had better goaltending. Look how well they’ve done in the playoffs.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 6:13 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Meanwhile Habs have the same old boring jerseys

I mean, you can’t exactly have an original Habs jersey when we have 3 colors and one pretty much fixed logo
zk97, capsfan2121, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:17 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
I think Flames are going to reunite with Giordano
As for the goalie, my guess is MAF

Same with the Golden Knights & Marc-André Fleury, I'm pretty sure the Flames can't get Giordano with retention. It'd only work if Lucic goes to Seattle but I doubt they trade him before the playoffs.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:30 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: SevenLeg
Same with the Golden Knights & Marc-André Fleury, I'm pretty sure the Flames can't get Giordano with retention. It'd only work if Lucic goes to Seattle but I doubt they trade him before the playoffs.

Vegas GM shut down the MAF rumors
“There is absolutely no credence to that rumor at all,” McCrimmon said. “I wouldn’t normally speak (officially) on such things, but there will be so much racket about this, it’s important to let people know that’s not going to happen.”

Didn't you hear? Lucic stubbed his toe and now is on LTIR until the playoffs start
capsfan2121, zk97 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:32 a.m.
Follow devknowspuck
Where was the rumor where the capitals where interested in hoffman
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:39 a.m.
cautious optimism
Bobcat’s Post Game Notes, Game 48

Jackets win, 7-4 over the Chicago Blackhawks.

-Not too much happened in the 1st period until Boone and Yegor scored two goals in 13 seconds. Sucks that we ended up giving that lead away but we ended on top thanks to Max.

-Beginning of the second: Patty takes a harmless shot that somehow gets past Arvid Soderblom and into the net by an inch. Jake was the only one that knew that was a good goal, it looked like. Nobody else celebrated immediately. I just thought that was funny.

-I was going to start this post last night after the 5-3 goal, thinking that it was safe, but Patrick Kane scored 10 seconds after I began typing. Guess it wasn’t safe.

-Patrik Laine gets his first hat trick as a Blue Jacket! I really expected it to come a lot sooner. Amazing to see he’s on top of his game, and I hope this is sustainable for the rest of the season.
capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan and zk97 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:40 a.m.
Follow devknowspuck
Quoting: Bobcat205

-Not too much happened in the 1st period until Boone and Yegor scored two goals in 13 seconds. Sucks that we ended up giving that lead away but we ended on top thanks to Max.

-Beginning of the second: Patty takes a harmless shot that somehow gets past Arvid Soderblom and into the net by an inch. Jake was the only one that knew that was a good goal, it looked like. Nobody else celebrated immediately. I just thought that was funny.

-I was going to start this post last night after the 5-3 goal, thinking that it was safe, but Patrick Kane scored 10 seconds after I began typing. Guess it wasn’t safe.

-Patrik Laine gets his first hat trick as a Blue Jacket! I really expected it to come a lot sooner. Amazing to see he’s on top of his game, and I hope this is sustainable for the rest of the season.

Laine is on a hot streak right now. And at the right time before the deadline
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:42 a.m.
SHL NJD GM

Me too, he’s point per game right now and arguably one of your best players, he seems to have revived his game a bit, now I just need him to keep it up
Bobcat205, capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Saskoiler for now
Edited Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:53 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

As of now its a win-win

Colorado is WINNING the trade, but they aren’t guaranteed to win it when all is said and done. But, without a doubt they are still winning right now though. Kerfoot is having a great season but nothing compared to Kadri probably 100 point season.
capsfan2121 and SevenLeg liked this.

Nice to see them repping 96 for Emerson Etem 😎
capsfan2121 and Devil liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:48 a.m.
Follow devknowspuck
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Me too, he’s point per game right now and arguably one of your best players, he seems to have revived his game a bit, now I just need him to keep it up
people say he is defensive liabity and is only good on the pp. that isn’t true right.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:49 a.m.
rb0ganzpurx11.jpg

THREAD FIFTEEN! GIVE IT UP FOR THREAD FIFTEEN!!

you've been waiting for that havent you lol
capsfan2121, Bobcat205, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:50 a.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
you've been waiting for that havent you lol

For a month and a half.
capsfan2121 and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:51 a.m.

Rangers prolly paid him lmaooo

so many celebs wear NYR jerseys it's insane
Hop on the Slaftrain

I love this team, they're probably in my top 3. So many players I like.
For a month and a half.

Applaud the patience
capsfan2121 liked this.
Feb. 18, 2022 at 8:55 a.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
people say he is defensive liabity and is only good on the pp. that isn’t true right.

Nah that's pretty much exactly true. He's basically younger, more talented Hoffman
capsfan2121 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll