Forums/Armchair-GM

Off-Season Thoughts

Created by: bruinsdude77
Team: 2022-23 Boston Bruins
Initial Creation Date: Apr. 24, 2022
Published: Apr. 24, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
- If DeBrusk’s trade request holds you have to move him and you have to replace him. I think Garland is a comparable player and would be a great fit and word at the deadline was that the Bs were interested. The Canucks are not a great match as a trade partner but the Oilers have long coveted DeBrusk and a three-team deal seems possible.

- Even with the cap going up, the Bruins have no choice but to trim the fat. Foligno has simply not lived up to expectations and needs to move. I get he’s a respected veteran and great locker room influence and chose Boston over other offers, but it hasn’t worked and this is a business. His trade protection drops off this summer- move him or buy him out. Reilly is a good defenseman but the Bruins have their top three LD now and they can find a natural RD equivalent to Reilly for less money on the open market

- Colin Miller needs a year of health and consistency to renew his market value. Why not come back to Boston and play with Forbort, who will do the D work for him? Miller would be a nice short-term add while the Bs evaluate Zboril, Ahcan, and others to take over. Clifton is a nice depth piece but shouldn’t be starting. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think you can re-sign Josh Brown and sneak him through waivers.

- Studnicka and Steen lose their waivers protection next year and will have to be on the roster. McLaughlin could go to the AHL, but so far he has shown no reason why the team should send him down. Those three can battle for fourth line time and maybe get looks at 2C if Haula slows down.

- Ullmark and Swayman split the net again while the team evaluates the future in net. DeSmith takes over as the veteran 3 - an upgrade, but also an injury risk that could allow Keyser and Bussi their fair share of starts

- The P-Bruins will have plenty of depth. The big question is whether Lysell (and to a lesser degree Mantykivi) will be part of that group. Both would be very exciting to watch. Other promising young players will include Merkulov, Beecher, Lauko, and Callahan while the ample veteran presence includes Blidh, Froden, Hughes, Wagner, Brown, and Niku.

- With the second and two thirds, I’d love to get C Danny Zhilkin, LD Simon Forsmark, and LW Jani Nyman. Zhilkin is a big, two-way play-maker who is my favorite center that could conceivably still be around for the Bruins first pick. I would take Forsmark with that pick too; the two-way puck-mover is both skilled and physical but based on what I’ve seen it wouldn’t be a shock to see him slip to the top of the third. Nyman is a player that caught my eye when I was watching an Ilves game to check out Mantykivi. Wouldn’t be a shock if the same thing happened to the Bs - the big sniping winger is hard to miss, even playing a small role in the Liiga.

- With this roster, there aren’t a ton of holes but that cap space will grow and allow for a meaningful deadline move. I purposefully didn’t sign a top-six center because I don’t like this UFA class. But next year I would definitely be in on poaching Horvat or Miller out of Vancouver to sign long-term. Adding Garland could help convince one of those two to sign as well. The 2023 first, Lysell, and Lohrei would remain untouchables.

- While this roster isn’t that much different than this year, don’t rule out the impact of a full year of Lindholm and the carryover chemistry of the second and third lines and second pairing. Even with the same personnel (and a slight upgrade imo with Garland and Miller instead of DeBrusk and Reilly) the Bs can be much better. The depth allows for the possibility of luxury addition or two at the deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$925,000
2$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$787,500
2$787,500
2$875,000
2$875,000
1$3,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$5,000,000
1$850,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
1$1,000,000
1$1,750,000
1$750,000
1$750,000
Trades
BOS
  1. Yamamoto, Kailer [RFA Rights]
  2. 2023 3rd round pick (EDM)
VAN
  1. Yamamoto, Kailer
  2. 2022 4th round pick (BOS)
BOS
  1. 2022 5th round pick (MIN)
BOS
  1. 2022 3rd round pick (ARI)
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the BOS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,500,000$81,262,917$0$150,000$1,237,083
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
C
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$4,950,000$4,950,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$2,375,000$2,375,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$6,666,667$6,666,667
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW
UFA - 1
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LW, C
UFA - 1
$883,750$883,750
C
RFA - 1
$875,000$875,000
RW, C
RFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD
NTC, NMC
UFA - 8
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RD
UFA - 8
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$150,000$150K)
G
RFA - 1
$3,687,500$3,687,500
LD
UFA - 2
$4,100,000$4,100,000
RD
UFA - 5
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,750,000$1,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:36 p.m.
Banned
Let’s start with the very first sentence - why do you have to trade debrusk?
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:40 p.m.
Quoting: CMcAvoy73

When was the last time that a player publicly requested a trade and wasn’t dealt within at least a calendar year. The B’s won’t play this game with DeBrusk forever. If Cassidy stays, he goes.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
we miss leo k

Has his trade request been rescinded? I was under the impression that the main reason Boston signed him to the extension was to give cost certainty to any prospective trade partners.

As far as this ACGM, it's thoughtful and well put together but loses points for having a Mike Reilly-for-a-3rd trade that isn't with the Islanders. The only nit I could pick is that I think Casey DeSmith has played well enough that he gets a full time NHL contract in the $1.5-2M range next season to go be a backup. He's put up good, consistent numbers in Pittsburgh and probably wouldn't have to settle for a deal that sticks him in the AHL.
drivet liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:43 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: bruinsdude77
When was the last time that a player publicly requested a trade and wasn’t dealt within at least a calendar year. The B’s won’t play this game with DeBrusk forever. If Cassidy stays, he goes.

The bruins have known about this desire for over a calendar year already. It wasn’t always public, but this isn’t a new thing. Sweeney ignored his request, and i see no reason why he wouldn’t continue to do so if that’s the kind of return that’s offered.

I’m also not convinced the request stays.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:45 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: dannibalcorpse
Has his trade request been rescinded? I was under the impression that the main reason Boston signed him to the extension was to give cost certainty to any prospective trade partners.

As far as this ACGM, it's thoughtful and well put together but loses points for having a Mike Reilly-for-a-3rd trade that isn't with the Islanders. The only nit I could pick is that I think Casey DeSmith has played well enough that he gets a full time NHL contract in the $1.5-2M range next season to go be a backup. He's put up good, consistent numbers in Pittsburgh and probably wouldn't have to settle for a deal that sticks him in the AHL.

He was signed as a way to create cost certainty, part of that might be a trade, part of that might be just cost certainty. I’m sure the bruins would trade him if they got an offer they liked. Obviously this isn’t it. I don’t think they’ll get what they deem fair value, and i think he plays at least another season in boston.

The other nitpick you could have is that zboril staying in boston is extremely unlikely.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:46 p.m.
Not a bad trade I just don’t see why Edmonton would do it. They could sign yam for less than debrusk. Since oilers are really tight on cap this offseason that’s the big difference maker.
CD282 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:47 p.m.
Every one of those trades is declined. Reilly will go for a 3rd but it won’t be Arizona.

Don’t see any point in trading for Garland when Lysell is not far away and has more upside. And they still need to find full time roles for Studnicka and Steen.

Don’t see Zboril returning. He wanted out for 2 years and his injury gifted him free agency.

Don’t see them signing a goalie. Sway/Ully in Boston and Keyser/Bussi in Prov. They are set. Can’t see them sending Bussi to ECHL.

You are not moving Foligno’s full 3.8m without paying to do it. It’s wishful thinking.
palhal liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
PDG over PDO
No thanks rather keep Garland
audiodave and Knuckl3s liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
we miss leo k
He was signed as a way to create cost certainty, part of that might be a trade, part of that might be just cost certainty. I’m sure the bruins would trade him if they got an offer they liked. Obviously this isn’t it. I don’t think they’ll get what they deem fair value, and i think he plays at least another season in boston.

The other nitpick you could have is that zboril staying in boston is extremely unlikely.

Missed Zboril, I can agree with that. Is there news on that injury front? Torn ACLs are rough, but if you assume the 6-12 month window, there's a shot he could come back for the beginning of next season. Anders Lee tore his ACL last March and was ready opening night for the Islanders this year - although I think you can look at his slow start and wonder if he rushed it a little.

The more I look at Zboril's numbers the more I think someone's gonna sign him for 2x$850K or something along those lines and walk away with a steal.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:52 p.m.
Banned
Missed Zboril, I can agree with that. Is there news on that injury front? Torn ACLs are rough, but if you assume the 6-12 month window, there's a shot he could come back for the beginning of next season. Anders Lee tore his ACL last March and was ready opening night for the Islanders this year - although I think you can look at his slow start and wonder if he rushed it a little.

The more I look at Zboril's numbers the more I think someone's gonna sign him for 2x$850K or something along those lines and walk away with a steal.

Ya he played fantastic before tearing his ACL, honestly i think he gets way more than you’re projecting. I just don’t see why he would ever stay in boston.
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:54 p.m.
They don't need to trade DeBrusk. Tarasenko requested a trade he's still with STL. Pool Party requested a trade from EDM a few years ago and he's now playing with.... Edmonton
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:55 p.m.

Zboril is skating again
dannibalcorpse liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.

Quoting: Gofnut999

Don’t see Zboril returning. He wanted out for 2 years and his injury gifted him free agency.

I don’t know where this narrative came from that Zboril wants out but I would bet the house that he’s back. Not only was there just recently a report about the two sides talking, but who is more likely to give him a fair shake coming off a torn ACL and with limited NHL experience than the team that knows him best? The Group 6 designation was not planned and not wanted by either side.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 9:56 p.m.
You’re out to lunch if you think debrusk gets a better return than garland does…
audiodave, theleano1, Knuckl3s and 1 other person liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
Banned
Minnesota says no
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
I don’t know where this narrative came from that Zboril wants out but I would bet the house that he’s back. Not only was there just recently a report about the two sides talking, but who is more likely to give him a fair shake coming off a torn ACL and with limited NHL experience than the team that knows him best? The Group 6 designation was not planned and not wanted by either side.

He asked for a trade when he was at Providence.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:03 p.m.
Quoting: Gofnut999
Every one of those trades is declined. Reilly will go for a 3rd but it won’t be Arizona.

Don’t see any point in trading for Garland when Lysell is not far away and has more upside. And they still need to find full time roles for Studnicka and Steen.

Don’t see them signing a goalie. Sway/Ully in Boston and Keyser/Bussi in Prov. They are set. Can’t see them sending Bussi to ECHL.

You are not moving Foligno’s full 3.8m without paying to do it. It’s wishful thinking.

Try not to be so cynical bro. It doesn’t really matter where Reilly goes, what matters to the AGM is that his market value is a 3rd. A contending team is not just gonna trade DeBrusk and not replace him because Lysell is on the way at some point - that’s why you don’t re-sign Smith next year. They’re also not going to rely on Keyser and Bussi when Ullmark has an injury history. Young goalies go the ECHL. It happens. Neither guy is a world beater by any means and odds are you weren’t exactly glued to the TV watching Bussi at WMU. He’s a project prospect and not commanding AHL starts in year one. Finally I made it clear you move Foligno one way or another. The hope is someone throws a late pick out and takes his full cap hit, but if you need to buy him out or add a late pick or your own, so be it.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:04 p.m.
Banned

The narrative comes from logic.
Group 6 benefits zboril. Think of it from his side. What he should want is to play more minutes, in a bigger role to earn the big contract. He likely also wants to play on the left side where he’s better.
The bruins had three guys all recently signed to pretty big deals when the season started. Then they gave up vaakanainen, a 1st, and two 2nds to get a player at the same position, and gave him an 8 year extension.

Where’s the opportunity? Where are those minutes coming?

Or he can just sign with one of the many teams that needs to add at that position, and get his opportunity. Seems silly that he would return to the bruins.

Where was this report? I didn’t see it.
Gofnut999 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:05 p.m.
Banned
Try not to be so cynical bro. It doesn’t really matter where Reilly goes, what matters to the AGM is that his market value is a 3rd. A contending team is not just gonna trade DeBrusk and not replace him because Lysell is on the way at some point - that’s why you don’t re-sign Smith next year. They’re also not going to rely on Keyser and Bussi when Ullmark has an injury history. Young goalies go the ECHL. It happens. Neither guy is a world beater by any means and odds are you weren’t exactly glued to the TV watching Bussi at WMU. He’s a project prospect and not commanding AHL starts in year one. Finally I made it clear you move Foligno one way or another. The hope is someone throws a late pick out and takes his full cap hit, but if you need to buy him out or add a late pick or your own, so be it.

He’s not being cynical, he’s being intelligent and realistic.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:09 p.m.
The narrative comes from logic.
Group 6 benefits zboril. Think of it from his side. What he should want is to play more minutes, in a bigger role to earn the big contract. He likely also wants to play on the left side where he’s better.
The bruins had three guys all recently signed to pretty big deals when the season started. Then they gave up vaakanainen, a 1st, and two 2nds to get a player at the same position, and gave him an 8 year extension.

Where’s the opportunity? Where are those minutes coming?

Or he can just sign with one of the many teams that needs to add at that position, and get his opportunity. Seems silly that he would return to the bruins.

Where was this report? I didn’t see it.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/04/atlantic-notes-sabres-zboril-point-matthews.html

Read em and weep. No one is tied in to the inner workings of the Bruins, especially long-time Providence Bruins, than Divver.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:11 p.m.
He’s not being cynical, he’s being intelligent and realistic.

You say while not refuting any of the points. I don’t know what your problem is man but all you ever do on AGMs is troll people if their opinions don’t align with yours. Your holier than thou approach is laughable.
Knuckl3s liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:18 p.m.
Banned
https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/04/atlantic-notes-sabres-zboril-point-matthews.html

Read em and weep. No one is tied in to the inner workings of the Bruins, especially long-time Providence Bruins, than Divver.

I would tend to avoid any site that has the word “rumor,” in it. It also just doesn’t make sense. The post said a one year deal would “make sense for both sides.” I just can’t see an angle where it makes sense for zboril.
You say while not refuting any of the points. I don’t know what your problem is man but all you ever do on AGMs is troll people if their opinions don’t align with yours. Your holier than thou approach is laughable.

Stop it. Don’t be defensive because people disagree with you. The notion that anyone that disagrees with your ACGM is a troll is foolish. If thats your line of thinking, why make it public? Are you just here hoping that people will pat you on the back and tell you what a great job you did? It’s not going to happen when you’re signing Casey desmith to an AHL deal, signing bergeron to a multi year extension (no shot), trading debrusk for a downgrade and a pick (if that was going to happen, it would have happened long ago), getting vancouver to willingly downgrade for a fourth, and moving foligno for an asset.

Disagreement does not equate to trolling. No need to be defensive or argumentative.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:22 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Aasen6
You’re out to lunch if you think debrusk gets a better return than garland does…

Not so sure. Debrusk is younger, cheaper, bigger, and has played better than garland in 2022. I think debrusk for garland is an interesting swap
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:28 p.m.
I would tend to avoid any site that has the word “rumor,” in it. It also just doesn’t make sense. The post said a one year deal would “make sense for both sides.” I just can’t see an angle where it makes sense for zboril.

Stop it. Don’t be defensive because people disagree with you. The notion that anyone that disagrees with your ACGM is a troll is foolish. If thats your line of thinking, why make it public? Are you just here hoping that people will pat you on the back and tell you what a great job you did? It’s not going to happen when you’re signing Casey desmith to an AHL deal, signing bergeron to a multi year extension (no shot), trading debrusk for a downgrade and a pick (if that was going to happen, it would have happened long ago), getting vancouver to willingly downgrade for a fourth, and moving foligno for an asset.

Disagreement does not equate to trolling. No need to be defensive or argumentative.

Your problem is that you’re not constructive at all and you just dismiss things if they aren’t exactly what they think they should be. Take ProHockeyRumors: a reputable aggregator owned by MLB Trade Rumors which might be the most reputable baseball site in existence. You don’t know the site you your response is “ I would tend to avoid any site that has the word ‘rumor’ in it”. Pretentious much? Your typical response to a AGM is more or less “lol no you’re dumb” without any context. You have hard opinions, right or wrong, and just expect that everyone shares them and if they don’t their worthy of your belittling but not any actual thought and consideration. My guess is that it makes you feel good about yourself to just publicly state that you know more than others but by not providing any constructive comments of your own there’s no opportunity for anyone to refute it - like I just did with the Zboril news. Just calm down. This site is supposed to be fun. You’re welcome to share your opinions but no one is here for you to act like the be all, end all of AGMs
Knuckl3s and weili40 liked this.
Apr. 24, 2022 at 10:28 p.m.
Judd Bracket ripoff
In regards to the first 2 trades, why not just make it one trade of debrusk for garland one for one?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll