SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #11 - Will Lamoriello ever announce Kadri's signing?

Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Agreed. Also do u think San Jose re-signs Meier or do they try to get a good prospect and a 1st in a deep draft for him at the deadline . I think Calgary would be a good fit. Something like Zadorov/Kylington/Dube + Pelletier + 2023 1st

I would give up Kylington+Pelletier+2023 1st for Meier in a heartbeat, deep draft and cap space be damned lol
csick and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Stastny to the canes for 1 year 1.5 mill. What a steal, he’s still a solid 2C. Canes are so good at cap management. When everyone is healthy I assume this will be the top 9.

Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis
Pacioretty-Stastny-Teravainen
Kase - Kotkaniemi-Necas
csick, MatthewsFan, HockeyScotty and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:27 p.m.
KFTW
Quoting: Db1899
Stastny to the canes for 1 year 1.5 mill. What a steal, he’s still a solid 2C. Canes are so good at cap management. When everyone is healthy I assume this will be the top 9.

Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis
Kase - Kotkaniemi-Necas

I have no doubts Canes are winning the division
Db1899 and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:32 p.m.

Svechnikov-Aho-Jarvis
Kase - Kotkaniemi-Necas

Unfortunately for them, Patches is out most of the season. Also, I’d expect J. Staal’s line to be the 3rd line in practice, with whoever on his wings acting as the matchup line (Fast, Martinook, or Kase all work, maybe even Necas).
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
Unfortunately for them, Patches is out most of the season. Also, I’d expect J. Staal’s line to be the 3rd line in practice, with whoever on his wings acting as the matchup line (Fast, Martinook, or Kase all work, maybe even Necas).

I think Kotkaniemi will take over the 3rd line role within the first two months of the season, Staal was bad last season.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.
I think Kotkaniemi will take over the 3rd line role within the first two months of the season, Staal was bad last season.

Counterpoint: Kotkaniemi was bad his whole career 💀💀
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:48 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:54 p.m.
I would give up Kylington+Pelletier+2023 1st for Meier in a heartbeat, deep draft and cap space be damned lol

Agreed. Also do u think San Jose re-signs Meier or do they try to get a good prospect and a 1st in a deep draft for him at the deadline . I think Calgary would be a good fit. Something like Zadorov/Kylington/Dube + Pelletier + 2023 1st

All depends on his year.

If it’s a similar year to last season he’s easily fetching a great returns, with more than that return If it’s a better year but that’s obviously going to make him harder to move as the price would change to similar to Tkachuk (NOT EQUAL). If it’s a worse year than it may to hard to predict.

As for the player - if Tkachuk is 9.5m x 8 I don’t see how Meier can argue even with another good year he deserves more than 9. He should fall near Hertl’s AAV in all honesty. If Meier would sign an 8x8 then sure depending on how the years going it’s probably worth keeping him. In all honesty if Meier is returning (EXAMPLE) with,
50% retention (w extension in works)

For

NYI 1st (let’s say NYI projecting 15th OA)
Aatu Raty
Prospect of lesser value than Raty or a roster player
Something
(Just an example not a suggestion of trade partners)

For Meier if he’s looking for over 8 than I’m kinda down to flip him. If we’re truly banking on our strength of prospects from Wilson JR’s tenure, we can’t have Couture, Meier, Hertl, Vlasic, Karlsson taking up a majority of our cap. Move Meier for a good return and decide what’s gonna happen with Vlasic. Let’s say we project to pick Zach Benson at 5th or something as well with another middling/ bad year. We’re looking forward to:

Eklund - Hertl - Barabanov
Lindblom - Couture - Kunin
Benson - Bordeleau - Gregor (real 2nd line)
Raska - Raty - Coe
Wiesblatt Labanc

Gushchin looking to work towards taking a top6 spot

Ferraro - Karlsson
Hatakka - Merkley
Cicek - Laroque
Kniazev

Kaapo - Hill
Mann/ Gaudreau

That’s about our best hope and if we’re moving Meier at that point we have to accept developing young players if we can’t afford Meier demanding 9m let’s say. We need an improvement in D prospect (that play defence) but that’s not a bad coward core to project to build around. A lot of talent but also alot of depth and role players (Raska, bottom 6 grinder, Coe could become a middle 6 pwf, Wiesblatt plays a checking role on the middle 6). But if Meier is having an even better year - than my answer would probably lean towards keeping him. I guess I would say I have no idea yet haha.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:53 p.m.
Counterpoint: Kotkaniemi was bad his whole career 💀💀

That’s a little harsh. He’s good defensively and he can drive possession. Probably tops out as an average 2C.
zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
All depends on his year.

If it’s a similar year to last season he’s easily fetching a great returns, with more than that return If it’s a better year but that’s obviously going to make him harder to move as the price would change to similar to Tkachuk (NOT EQUAL). If it’s a worse year than it may to hard to predict.

As for the player - if Tkachuk is 9.5m x 8 I don’t see how Meier can argue even with another good year he deserves more than 9. He should fall near Hertl’s AAV in all honesty. If Meier would sign an 8x8 then sure depending on how the years going it’s probably worth keeping him. In all honesty if Meier is returning (EXAMPLE) with,
50% retention (w extension in works)

For

Aatu Raty
Something
(Just an example not a suggestion of trade partners)

For Meier if he’s looking for over 8 than I’m kinda down to flip him. If we’re truly banking on our strength of prospects from Wilson JR’s tenure, we can’t have Couture, Meier, Hertl, Vlasic, Karlsson taking up a majority of our cap. Move Meier for a good return and decide what’s gonna happen with Vlasic. Let’s say we project to pick Zach Benson at 5th or something as well with another middling/ bad year. We’re looking forward to:

Raska - Raty - Coe
Wiesblatt Labanc

Ferraro - Karlsson
Hatakka - Merkley
Cicek - Laroque
Kniazev

Kaapo - Hill
Mann/ Gaudreau

That’s about our best hope and if we’re moving Meier at that point we have to accept developing young players if we can’t afford Meier demanding 9m let’s say. We need an improvement in D prospect (that play defence) but that’s not a bad coward core to project to build around. A lot of talent but also alot of depth and role players (Raska, bottom 6 grinder, Coe could become a middle 6 pwf, Wiesblatt plays a checking role on the middle 6). But if Meier is having an even better year - than my answer would probably lean towards keeping him. I guess I would say I have no idea yet haha.

I would probably do that.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Would love to know how the Leafs are going to trade Kerfoot
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
I would probably do that.

Yeah it would be a hard discussion to have now based on the unpredictability but if Meiers at 60p/60gp and won’t extend with SJS then I’m looking for Raty and Beau (depending on Beaus year and his tenure with the NYI and relations) with a first depending on where NYI pick. But I’m not leaving without a prospect of Ratys value. He’s got work to do but he looked real good with Finland. He’s had a tons of ups and downs so that could be a worry but the kids really proven a lot of doubters wrong. He’s better than basically 80-90% of the prospects in the league with a solid upside - can’t move Meier for something lesser.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:09 p.m.
KFTW
It’s pretty interesting the difference between Kakko/Kotkaniemi and Lundell. Also throw in Raty into the mix. Kakko and Kotkaniemi had really strong draft year Liga stats (blows Slafkovksys out of the water) . But they weren’t able to figure it out at the nhl level. Lundell also had strong stats but was able to figure it out and was a stud . Raty had bad Draft year numbers but exploded in his D + 1 year.

Slafkovksy had meh draft year numbers but played great in other competitions. But he’s expected to get AHL time which is crucial and the other 2 didn’t get. I just hope he doesn’t get rushed
yikes, Tintin, HockeyScotty and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Would love to know how the Leafs are going to trade Kerfoot

Probs looking for the right player in the exchange as I got a feeling its gonna look a lot like Zacha for Haula but we bring the cheaper guy back. Teams like Anaheim, Chicago, Colorado, Winnipeg, Minnesota still have room for Kerfoot.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:14 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
It’s pretty interesting the difference between Kakko/Kotkaniemi and Lundell. Also throw in Raty into the mix. Kakko and Kotkaniemi had really strong draft year Liga stats (blows Slafkovksys out of the water) . But they weren’t able to figure it out at the nhl level. Lundell also had strong stats but was able to figure it out and was a stud . Raty had bad Draft year numbers but exploded in his D + 1 year.

Slafkovksy had meh draft year numbers but played great in other competitions. But he’s expected to get AHL time which is crucial and the other 2 didn’t get. I just hope he doesn’t get rushed

That’s why I think the AHL is so important and it’s overlooked by teams trying to rush their shiny toy. I wish Eklund was in the AHL last year. Bordeleau I’ve changed my tone on and think he’ll start in the AHL. The AHL is a great tool as we see players at levels that are AHL lifers or NHL promising. It’s way better than throwing these kids right into the NHL and the burning a year and then they’re stuck in the Limbo/ the NHL and so on.

Matthew Philips for example looks like an AHL lifer (Calgary) but he’s got one more chance this year to change that.
csick, HockeyScotty and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:16 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
Probs looking for the right player in the exchange as I got a feeling its gonna look a lot like Zacha for Haula but we bring the cheaper guy back. Teams like Chicago, Colorado, Winnipeg, Minnesota still have room for Kerfoot.

Ya, they are most likely taking salary back (1.5-2 range). They waited waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long to move him. Unless there is so bigger deal in play
Saskleaf and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:19 p.m.
Is anyone going to sign Phil kessel?
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:22 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

tampa tampa tampa tampa tampa tampa tampa
Db1899 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:25 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Switch to the old mighty ducks logo or I riot

It’s probably Zegras on NHL cover
yikes, DirtyDangle, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:28 p.m.
retired
canes are looking good. avs dropped the ball not signing stastny to that contract
HockeyScotty and zk97 liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:38 p.m.

Put Rantanen in that bunch too. His draft year Liiga numbers were similar to Kotkaniemi but Avs put him in AHL for a year and it worked out beautifully
csick and yikes liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:43 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Devil

Switch to the old mighty ducks logo or I riot

It’s probably Zegras on NHL cover

I could've sworn Zegras got announced on the cover weeks ago. I must be losing my mind.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
All depends on his year.

50% retention

For

Aatu Raty
Something

Raska - Raty - Coe
Wiesblatt Labanc

Ferraro - Karlsson
Hatakka - Merkley
Cicek - Laroque
Kniazev

Kaapo - Hill
Mann/ Gaudreau

That’s about our best hope and if we’re moving Meier at that point we have to accept developing young players if we can’t afford Meier demanding 9m let’s say. But if he’s having an even better year - than my answer would probably lean towards keeping him.

I think I’d compare Meier to Forsberg, I reckon he’ll get around 8x8.5. A little below the likes of Tkachuk and Rantanen but not far below.

Also I feel like the Sharks should jump at the opportunity to pick a centre. Bordeleau looks solid (2C maybe? 3C almost definitely), but there are so many 1Cs available, it would be better to build out a young core up the middle. Guys like Hertl and Couture can slide to less responsibility on the wings as they decline with age if there’s a young stud at centre. If you reckon the Sharks are in that 5-10 range, there’s a bunch of guys available there (Dvorsky, Carlsson, Stramel, Yager, Danielson, Ritchie, etc.)
yikes liked this.
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Ya, they are most likely taking salary back (1.5-2 range). They waited waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to long to move him. Unless there is so bigger deal in play

I got a feeling its either between Kerfoot or Muzzin.

Either way there will be takers for Kerfoot just a question of what will come back
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
KFTW
Hot take: Chychrun is the next Devon Toews once he gets moved except Arizona won’t trade him for scraps
Aug. 23, 2022 at 1:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Keep an eye on Calgary, Colorado, and VGK
DirtyDangle, capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll