Forums/Armchair-GM

Dancing with myself oh uh uh oh

Created by: RowdyRoddy96
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 31, 2022
Published: Aug. 31, 2022
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A little bit of rationale here so hear me out.

so a few months ago I read an article on 31 Thoughts that Muzzin was willing to waive his NTC to either Anaheim or LA because it was an area he was familiar playing in and both teams need the veteran leadership in their defensive cores though the Ducks getting Klingberg definitely complicates trade matters the trade can work either with LA or Anaheim I just used the Ducks as an example and one of the 3rd rounders the Leafs have this year in order to have the team retain the full contract which would allow Dubas to then sign Sandin to a Prove it deal at 1.5Mil * 1 year then the Leafs could then operate with about 5.5ish mil in cap for other signings/trades.

Simmonds, Clifford, and Gaudette are sent down to the AHL during training camp accumulating 2,412,500mil in cap space which would allow the Leafs about 919,384k in cap pre-Muzzin trade ( Post Muzzin trade the Leafs would have about $6,544,384mil in cap )

Next, The Leafs call up Vegas to remind them of the favor the Leafs did for them by getting them Robin Lehner and has a thank you Nolan Patrick is then given to Toronto for Future Considerations and Dubas and the Leafs medical staff are then given another reclamation project in Nolan Patrick who is still young but has been horribly plagued with injuries and maybe the Leafs can figure something out with him that Philadelphia and Vegas don't have the time and or patience but Dubas might? Patrick would start off on the LTIR giving the Leafs another 1.2Million in Cap Space to operate with throughout the season if Nolan gets back to some form of playing state then it's a boost in depth to the roster, if he doesn't then the Leafs don't lose anything they just benefit from the extra cap space and Patrick's contract is then done at the end of the season anyway. Patrick on LTIR grants the Leafs another 1.2mil in cap ( 7,744,384 in Cap Space )

Sandin Contract ( 1,500,000 - 7,744,384 = 6,244,384 )

Next, I believe the Leafs need to bolster the Right side of their defense with a better-upgraded version of what Ilya Lybushkin was and I honestly believe that guy is Carson Soucy who stands at 6'5" 211lbs. Cap is decent at 2.75Mil for 1 more season can play Left and Right side even though he is a lefty he is like Brodie where he is a consistent, defensive presence in any d core he has the higher aptitude to lay out a big hit or to clear the front of the net with his size which is a much-needed skill that Dubas has been looking for and it adds a little more bite to the backline also the D Pairs I would do if that was the case is

- Rielly / Soucy ( Like Rielly/Boosh from last year only better! )
- Sandin/Brodie ( If Sandin is as good as people or he thinks he is give him a great, consistent veteran partner in Brodie and if there are defensive breakdowns between the two throughout the season then Sandin still needs more developmental time and then would warrant a lower price tag on his new contract for the time being )
- Giordano/Liljgrenn (The same ordeal as last year when they were put together only Liljgrenn's stats become even more impressive the more that he plays with Gio. This pair becomes an absolute defensive anchor this year )

and believe it or not but Holl still remains on this team at the start of the season. Can't go wrong with a 6/7 D man at 2Mil who has some familiarity with a lot of players on this team also I expect Gio and maybe Sandin to be given off days ( That's right Liljgrenn FULL 82 SZN baby ) Holl then comes in and the pairs are then adjusted accordingly.

Trade for Soucy at the bottom seems like maybe an overpayment on the Leafs end but I do believe it makes the team better in the long run especially if Soucy is even given an extension plus I do believe Seattle is in need of offense and Kerfoot would be an excellent addition within their top six at his cap hit and he can play for his next contract and play closer to home ( Kerfoot is a Vancouver native ) ( Already got Jarnkrok as well so I most definitely believe that Kerfoot is on the block )

As for other signings to then level out the roster

Aston Reese I believe is a no-brainer for Dubas just for his defensive prowess as a bottom 6 winger ( A Line of Engvall, Kampf, and Aston Reese would be absolutely disgusting to face for any team and might be legitimately one of the best shutdown lines in the league if made possible )

Gagner I think is inevitable. Good friends with JT, part owner of the Marlboros, and for his production last year, he could even be a decent scoring option in the bottom 6 and will provide a good vet presence.

Call me a fan of nostalgia but I believe after the departure of Spezza the Leafs do need to fill in that gap in some form by adding a 4C who is better than what the stats claim him to be but honestly the idea of Tyler Bozak returning to Toronto I feel like it makes too much sense? Toronto took a flyer on Bozak as an undrafted player out of college and the Leafs currently have some college kids in their system ( Abruzzese, Steeves, Knies ) Bozak can appeal to these players in a vet role but he also despite injuries can still play and be effective. Like Spezza, Bozak bodes an insane Faceoff% ( 53.6% for his career ), he is a right-handed player like Spezza but he also has the playoff experience that the Leafs need as well having won a Stanley Cup with St Louis in 2019. Bozak I feel would take a 1 or 2-year deal to not only have another shot at a cup ring but he can also train up a possible successor to him like Abruzzese or Steeves where if Bozak calls it a career then one of those players can take his spot in the lineup immediately.

Kallgren is kept as a 3rd goalie and he continues his development into a possible NHL-caliber backup and is with the team in case of injuries and might even make the occasional start. Robertson finally makes it out of camp and is hopefully given a fair shot with proper NHL reps or with the possible emergence of Matthew Knies later on in the year, Robertson then plays enough to boost his value for a future deadline trade if it's needed and then Knies slots into the lineup later on in the year.

With expired contracts at the end of the season barring future extensions, the Leafs would have 12.5Mil in free cap in this current scenario which would help in a possible big trade scenario if the Leafs fail to make any progress again.

So close to the start of pre-season hopefully everyone is excited to see the NHL back in action soon!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$750,000
2$1,800,000
2$850,000
Trades
TOR
    Future Considerations
    ANA
    1. Muzzin, Jake
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (TOR)
    VGK
      Future Considerations
      SEA
      1. Anderson, Joey
      2. Kerfoot, Alexander
      3. 2024 5th round pick (TOR)
      DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the OTT
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      Logo of the TOR
      ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
      23$82,500,000$80,902,283$212,500$0$1,597,717
      Left WingCentreRight Wing
      Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
      $950,000$950,000
      LW
      UFA - 1
      $11,640,250$11,640,250
      C
      UFA - 2
      $10,903,000$10,903,000
      RW
      UFA - 3
      $2,100,000$2,100,000
      RW, C, LW
      M-NTC
      UFA - 4
      $11,000,000$11,000,000
      C, LW
      NMC
      UFA - 3
      $6,962,366$6,962,366
      RW
      UFA - 2
      $2,250,000$2,250,000
      RW, LW
      UFA - 1
      $850,000$850,000
      RW, C
      UFA - 1
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      C
      UFA - 1
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      LW, RW
      UFA - 1
      $750,000$750,000
      C, RW
      UFA
      $1,000,000$1,000,000
      RW
      UFA - 1
      Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
      $7,500,000$7,500,000
      LD
      NMC
      UFA - 8
      $5,000,000$5,000,000
      LD/RD
      NTC
      UFA - 2
      $4,687,500$4,687,500
      G
      M-NTC
      UFA - 2
      $1,500,000$1,500,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      Logo of the Seattle Kraken
      $2,750,000$2,750,000
      LD/RD
      UFA - 1
      $1,800,000$1,800,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      $800,000$800,000
      LD
      UFA - 2
      $1,400,000$1,400,000
      RD
      RFA - 2
      $2,000,000$2,000,000
      RD
      M-NTC
      UFA - 1
      ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
      $750,000$750,000
      G
      UFA - 1
      Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
      $1,200,000$1,200,000
      C, RW
      UFA - 1
      $796,667$796,667
      LW, RW
      RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
      • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Any chance of Muzzin to Ana evaporated with Kulikov trade earlier today. Sorry bud, Dubas sat on his hands too long.

It's not like Verbeek didn't wait for Dubas to ask him to the dance either, but it looks like Dubas is dancing with himself too.
      Salzy, MontysPython, BeefBouillon and 4 others liked this.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:10 p.m.
      I like the addition of Soucy and ZAR (Although I would want lower cap hit on ZAR).

I do not like the Additions of Bozak and Gagner. MAYBE one of them as our 13th forward but I don't love that.

I would be okay with getting Nolan Patrick for nothing, to see if we can get him going, but I don't see why Vegas does that.

I doubt Muzzin gets traded this year. I think it is highly probable he gets traded next off season once his full ntc ends.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:29 p.m.
      I like the idea of having Ashton Reese but don't think we need him since we have Kubel/Clifford/Simmonds. The only way we get Gagner is if Dubas wants to lose Anderson which I don't think he does consider how well he played in the AHL. I think Soucy would be a great addition.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:40 p.m.
      Lets Get Kraken
      Even if Anaheim were willing to take on Muzzin, which the likelihood now is close to zero with the move for Kulikov, it would be necessary for the Leafs to send something like 2 2nds or a first to dump Muzzin. Since the fact of the matter is cap space is extremely valuable, and if Muzzin is only willing to waive for either Anaheim or LA, they can dictate what price they want, and Toronto will have to either accept the price, or ride Muzzin out.
      majormoose007, OldNYIfan, vikhodush and 2 others liked this.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:41 p.m.
      LongtimeLeafsufferer
      Can't understand why Seattle would make that deal. Soucy is worth more than Kerfoot in a TDL. Anderson has absolutely no trade value
      I kinda think it's a silly scenario where LA or Anaheim would value "veteran leadership" in Muzzin. Just another phrase meaning overpaid older player. What really holds Muzzin's trade options back is he has two years left at 5.6m. Reason Klingberg signed with the Ducks was 7m was his best offer. Ducks see the value in JK as TDLtrade with his expiring contract
      No, having cap Patrick on LTIR doesn't give the Leafs an additional 1.2m in cap space. If that was true the cap strapped Knights would keep him..
      Leafs are much better having Robertson and Steeves at LW...combined better that AR,, and get an NHL centre,
      OldNYIfan, vikhodush, KrakenTheCode and 1 other person liked this.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:47 p.m.
      Once a Kings Fan Too
      Overtaken By Events -- Kulikov provides the veteran leadership that Muzzin might theoretically supply.
      vikhodush liked this.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
      Except kings don’t have space or a need for him and ducks don’t have a need. Muzzin with two years left complicates matters and I doubt the leafs want to shop him with a first.

Also, Sandin doesn’t want to sign that so what has changed?
      OldNYIfan liked this.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 10:27 p.m.
      Future Ducks legend
      Quoting: vikhodush
      Except kings don’t have space or a need for him and ducks don’t have a need. Muzzin with two years left complicates matters and I doubt the leafs want to shop him with a first.

Also, Sandin doesn’t want to sign that so what has changed?

I'm told his bigger sticking point is TOI and role that he wants a bigger piece of.
      vikhodush and GenXHockey liked this.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 11:41 p.m.
      I will say that yes, the Kraken were in need of more offense, but the additions of Burakovsky and Bjorkstrand filled the vacant top six positions on the team. They don't have room to add someone like Kerfoot, who probably wouldn't fit in the top six anyway. Meanwhile, Seattle seems to really like Soucy (they turned down trade offers for him last year) and might be interested in signing him to an extension themselves.

Even if the Kraken had interest in Kerfoot, there just isn't enough value there to justify trading Soucy.
      Aug. 31, 2022 at 11:48 p.m.
      Formerly Jamiepo
      Quoting: GiggywithGibby
      Any chance of Muzzin to Ana evaporated with Kulikov trade earlier today. Sorry bud, Dubas sat on his hands too long.

It's not like Verbeek didn't wait for Dubas to ask him to the dance either, but it looks like Dubas is dancing with himself too.

This is 100% correct. This is easily dubas' worst offseason and it isn't close.
      GiggywithGibby liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
      Question:
      Options:
      Add Option
      Submit Poll