SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Oct. 6, 2022 at 12:55 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Tyler Segin will be making 13 mil this year

wow he must be the best player in the league and also the reason for half the female viewership in the NHL 🙄

Edit: If you can’t tell, I think Biz is a douche
capsfan2121, csick, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 12:59 p.m.
Follow devknowspuck
Quoting: Alfie11
wow he must be the best player in the league and also the reason for half the female viewership in the NHL 🙄

Edit: If you can’t tell, I think Biz is a douche

Why is biz so popular
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:02 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Nice hire by EDM. He turned Hamilton around, twice OHL champ and winning GM of the Year.
oilersguy liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:13 p.m.
Why is biz so popular

He gets good quotes out of NHLers because he’s relatable as a former player. Unfortunately he’s relatable because he’s a total dudebro, like most hockey players are at heart, underneath the bland PR-trained faces they generally show to the media, which is the reality that many people (understandably) try to ignore. I personally can’t stand Spittin’ Chiclets. I listen to several hockey podcasts, and generally don’t mind some banter or non-hockey related stuff (like Puck Soup talks about wrestling sometimes, SDP has plenty of friendly banter and side tangents), but I don’t feel like subjecting myself to 45 minutes of listening to how many chicks this dude banged in Nova Scotia last week before getting to the hockey part. Not sure why anyone’s surprised he’d say something stupid, misogynistic, and abhorrent on national TV, and comments like that are in especially poor taste considering the Hockey Canada sh*t going on.

Speaking of which, Hockey Canada deserves to lose every sponsor they’re losing. Canadian Tire has cut all ties which is massive, and both Tim Hortons and Scotiabank have dropped funding for men’s hockey. I think Telus has too, but I haven’t seen that myself. Esso and Nike are the last two big ones I think. Maybe Gatorade? Not sure if they’re a sponsor. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make similar statements to Tim Hortons and Scotiabank in short order. Cutting all ties (like Canadian Tire did) is unlikely from these, but would be nice to see. Everyone high up at HC needs to go.
A_Habs_fan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:18 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: yikes
Following major national sponsors leaving Hockey Canada - Andrea Skinner responds.
"They're choosing to turn off the lights at local rinks, shame on them."

Lmao, arena’s can stay open plenty of other ways, they don’t need hockey Canada, she needs to get her head out of the sand
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
torontos finest
Why is biz so popular

hockey culture is desperate anyone with a personality
A_Habs_fan and capsfan2121 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Follow devknowspuck
Quoting: mondo
hockey culture is desperate anyone with a personality

John Tavares is our guy then.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:44 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: MatthewsFan

Nice hire by EDM. He turned Hamilton around, twice OHL champ and winning GM of the Year.

nice to know if Holland really messes up and gets fired the Oilers have a pretty good candidate for new GM in house, I am also wonder if this means the Oilers draft a Hamilton Bulldog or 2 in the next few drafts
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:53 p.m.
I make typos
Why is biz so popular

the only reason I have ever listened/watched to spitt'n cicklets was because Ryan Whitney won his and Biz's bet of who would go father in the Playoffs Flames or the Oilers.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 1:56 p.m.
cautious optimism
Quoting: oilersguy
nice to know if Holland really messes up and gets fired the Oilers have a pretty good candidate for new GM in house, I am also wonder if this means the Oilers draft a Hamilton Bulldog or 2 in the next few drafts

I guess this means that EDM's gonna pick Cole Brown in this coming draft.
oilersguy liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 2:01 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Bobcat205
I guess this means that EDM's gonna pick Cole Brown in this coming draft.

*looks up Cole Brown elite prospects*

well so far he is a ppg player, in 2 games lol
Oct. 6, 2022 at 2:11 p.m.
cautious optimism
*looks up Cole Brown elite prospects*

well so far he is a ppg player, in 2 games lol

E L I T E.
oilersguy and NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:04 p.m.

Magnus Hellberg’s pads are always fire, these are dope as hell(berg)
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:13 p.m.
I make typos
Edited Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:24 p.m.

Today has been a good day, first the Staios hire now this
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:24 p.m.
Companies cutting ties at least partially with Hockey Canada:
- Tim Hortons (no longer sponsoring the men’s team, including WJC)
- Scotiabank (no longer sponsoring the men’s team, including WJC)
- Telus (no longer sponsoring the men’s team, including WJC)
- Canadian Tire (completely severed all ties)
- Skip the Dishes (ends partnership with HC)
- Sobeys (ends partnership, seeking a way to sponsor the women’s national team directly, without HC involvement)

👏 👏 👏
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:31 p.m.
cautious optimism

Today has been a good day, first the Staios hire now this

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. Didn't exactly look too good in his games this preseason.
oilersguy liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:34 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: Bobcat205
I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner. Didn't exactly look too good in his games this preseason.

he didn't, but since he was high pick so he probably got more games then he should have
Oct. 6, 2022 at 3:35 p.m.
Companies cutting ties at least partially with Hockey Canada:
- Tim Hortons (no longer sponsoring the men’s team, including WJC)
- Scotiabank (no longer sponsoring the men’s team, including WJC)
- Telus (no longer sponsoring the men’s team, including WJC)
- Canadian Tire (completely severed all ties)
- Skip the Dishes (ends partnership with HC)
- Sobeys (ends partnership, seeking a way to sponsor the women’s national team directly, without HC involvement)

👏 👏 👏

Important note on the Canadian Tire front.
Alfie11 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason

Important note on the Canadian Tire front.

I saw the original Rick Westhead tweet, but missed the second one. This is encouraging for sure, as well as Sobeys trying to directly sponsor the women's national team (hopefully that also means more money ends up going directly to the players). Scotiabank/Tim Hortons/Telus are still sponsoring youth/women's/para hockey I believe, although unfortunately still directly through HC. At least this is a start. This is the only thing that looks like it will cause meaningful change. Money talks, and I'm glad the sponsors are taking a stand
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:15 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
I have a question regarding the hockey Canada situation.

What would happen if hockey Canada disbands? Would a new organization take its place? Or would we have a completely different system in Canada for hockey organization?
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:18 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Saskleaf

What would happen if hockey Canada disbands? Would a new organization take its place? Or would we have a completely different system in Canada for hockey organization?

That's the problem and why there is some truth to their statement. They are literally the people who hold hockey canada together and to my knowledge, there aren't other people who can simply take their place and we expect it to keep running smoothly. IMO there would have to be some sort of grace period for those stepping down to groom their next position holders.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:20 p.m.

All the lights in every arena in the country would simultaneously go out.
Alfie11, Saskleaf, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:23 p.m.

Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
That's the problem and why there is some truth to their statement. They are literally the people who hold hockey canada together and to my knowledge, there aren't other people who can simply take their place and we expect it to keep running smoothly. IMO there would have to be some sort of grace period for those stepping down to groom their next position holders.

The federal government has already said they might have to step in and create a "Canada Hockey" to replace HC. Alternatively, anybody starting from scratch could probably do a better job. Not that they would have to, I'm certain you can find enough people that know how to run a business to step in and do a reasonably good job. Plus there's likely candidates from the provincial branches (are they any better? Maybe not, but it'd be tough to be worse).
Saskleaf and yikes liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:33 p.m.
WentWughes
The federal government has already said they might have to step in and create a "Canada Hockey" to replace HC. Alternatively, anybody starting from scratch could probably do a better job. Not that they would have to, I'm certain you can find enough people that know how to run a business to step in and do a reasonably good job. Plus there's likely candidates from the provincial branches (are they any better? Maybe not, but it'd be tough to be worse).

I mean besides the whole secret fund thing, they have done a very good job, no? Canada still remains as the best hockey development country in the world and we still create the best Canadians despite being a pretty small country.
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 4:41 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS

I agree, there has to be a step to replace HC some how, you can’t just disband it and not replace it. That would be devastating to hockey in Canada.

Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
All the lights in every arena in the country would simultaneously go out.

Lol

If that’s the case, then I’m glad there’s a plan, of some sort, to replace hockey Canada.

Not sure I agree about the federal government doing a better job, but I’m not discussing that.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll