SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2022-23 NHL Season Discussion Thread #2: Electric Boogaloo

Oct. 6, 2022 at 5:04 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I mean besides the whole secret fund thing, they have done a very good job, no? Canada still remains as the best hockey development country in the world and we still create the best Canadians despite being a pretty small country.

The "whole secret fund thing" is a major issue that should not be minimized. After all, ruining the lives of many young women (as well as men, through normalized hazing/bullying and the like, plus ingrained racism, etc. but the major focus right now is obviously on trying to not let gang rape be a thing, and not covering it up when it happens) is far more important than churning out NHL players. And honestly, Canada is the best hockey country only because of it being ingrained in the culture of this country. Hockey Canada itself doesn't have much to do with that at all imo. In fact, I don't think they do much of anything well. I've had some serious issues with HC for years now, even ignoring all the gang rape cover-up stuff (which we can't do, because that is a disqualifying factor, obviously). We don't have anything like the USNTDP for example (probably the gold standard for hockey development programs right now), and I believe countries like Finland and Russia would outclass HC as well, in terms of development of players. Finland has consistently performed well on an international level despite traditionally being the #5 country (I'd argue they're pushing Russia for #3 now). I can't confirm this right now, but I'm pretty sure I heard that the reason Russian goalies are the best in the NHL is because a while back their association identified that as a weak point and started investing heavily in development for goalies, and I haven't heard of HC doing anything similar (which is especially poignant because you could make a very good argument that Canada has reached a crisis point in terms of having good goalies, and has been very thin in net for years now).

Quoting: Saskleaf
I agree, there has to be a step to replace HC some how, you can’t just disband it and not replace it. That would be devastating to hockey in Canada.

Lol

If that’s the case, then I’m glad there’s a plan, of some sort, to replace hockey Canada.

Not sure I agree about the federal government doing a better job, but I’m not discussing that.

I don't trust any politician as far as I can throw them, but doing a bad job that doesn't involve covering up countless sexual assaults is still better than doing a bad job and also covering up sexual assaults, which is what we've got right now. And I don't think HC would ever be disbanded and not replaced, somebody would step in in one way or another (either a completely new organization, or just replacing everyone that works at HC in a major role), but everybody that holds a major role at HC right now has got to go. Fresh blood is essential, and it will also be essential that these new hires be diverse and (ideally) relatively young. Old white dudes cannot continue to run hockey in this country, that much is abundantly clear. And from the greedy, self-centred point of view HC has shown they currently hold, it's also the only way they'll win back sponsors. Not that the specific people care, because they'll be gone in this hypothetical, so the current management is going to fight for as long as they can to retain their positions, or try to get away with minimal resignations. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Scott Smith and Andrea Skinner gone in the upcoming weeks, and then HC try to go back to their big sponsors after sacrificing only those two, and not address the other people in positions of power that have let this fester unchallenged for decades, and who will likely not care enough to do anything about it once it passes the public scrutiny test and gets to the "okay they've changed things up, lets give the new guys a shot now" stage.
A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 5:12 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
@yikes the Sharks have a regular season game tommorow, is the defense actually going to be Harrington-EK65, Ferraro-Vlasic, Simek-Benning because that looks like a massive oof
Oct. 6, 2022 at 5:48 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
yikes the Sharks have a regular season game tommorow, is the defense actually going to be Harrington-EK65, Ferraro-Vlasic, Simek-Benning because that looks like a massive oof

Merkley sent down, Hatakka and Kniazev weren’t really given the light of day. Megan’s hanging around. Nutivaara hurt.

My guess is they want Ferraro to try and run his own pair instead of having to cover for Burns 3+ years and then into Karlsson. Supposedly Harrington looked really good in the preseason but it was in all the non televised games. Simek/ Benning is a fine third pairing for a weaker team. Assuming Simek rebounds which he’s looked fairly decent so far. Vlasic being given 2nd pairing time is quite annoying but it is what it is. Nieto getting lineup time over Bordeleau/ Eklund/ not inviting Gushchin is far more annoying imo.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 5:51 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: yikes
Merkley sent down, Hatakka and Kniazev weren’t really given the light of day. Megan’s hanging around. Nutivaara hurt.

My guess is they want Ferraro to try and run his own pair instead of having to cover for Burns 3+ years and then into Karlsson. Supposedly Harrington looked really good in the preseason but it was in all the non televised games. Simek/ Benning is a fine third pairing for a weaker team. Assuming Simek rebounds which he’s looked fairly decent so far. Vlasic being given 2nd pairing time is quite annoying but it is what it is. Nieto getting lineup time over Bordeleau/ Eklund/ not inviting Gushchin is far more annoying imo.

You're in trouble if Scott Harrington and Vlasic are in more than a 3rd pair role, i'm sure Bobcat would love to talk to you about Scott Harrington too lol
NoVaSpartan liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 5:52 p.m.

I'm sorry but this is really making me believe that the Sharks are not going to be good this year. How do you have both Harrington and Vlasic in your top 4 man grimace
Oct. 6, 2022 at 5:56 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Here’s a quote from Sheng Peng at how the Sharks might currently see their depth chart, in terms of NHL-readiness:

Timo Meier
Tomas Hertl
Logan Couture
Alexander Barabanov (injured)
Luke Kunin
Kevin Labanc
Oskar Lindblom
Nick Bonino
Nico Sturm
Noah Gregor
Steven Lorentz
Matt Nieto
Jonah Gadjovich
Evgeny Svechnikov
——— AHL CUTs
Thomas Bordeleau
William Eklund
Jeffrey Viel

AHL time for Bords and Eklund is fine but it’s disappointing imo and may not be what’s best for both of them despite it being a generally beneficial league. They’re going to have perform well in the AHL and they’ll be called up by November I’d guess. They both performed well enough to give Bords a 3rd line role w/ pp2 time. Eklund would need to take out Labanc but Grier and Quinn have clearly committed an effort to see if he can recover his career since his shoulder injury. So I’m pretty annoyed Nieto is getting 3rd line time over Bordeleau.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 5:58 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
You're in trouble if Scott Harrington and Vlasic are in more than a 3rd pair role, i'm sure Bobcat would love to talk to you about Scott Harrington too lol

Quoting: Alfie11
I'm sorry but this is really making me believe that the Sharks are not going to be good this year. How do you have both Harrington and Vlasic in your top 4 man grimace

We never were gonna be amazing anyways.
Because Quinn and Grier want Hatakka and Merkley to have to earn their NHL time despite;

Ferraro - Karlsson
Simek - Merkley
Hatakka - Benning

Being an objectively better lineup.
They pushed too many guys to play NHL last year now this team they’ve taken away all the NHL time despite some fair showings in camp.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.

What was making believe they would be? lol
yikes, Db1899 and Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
What was making believe they would be? lol

I mean I wasn't ever really thinking they'd be great, but guys like Meier and Hertl, plus some exciting younger players (mainly Bordeleau and Eklund though, who look like they'll start in the AHL) convinced me they might be okay at least. I think Seattle and Anaheim are probably better than the Sharks in the Pacific though. Bottom 5 for me unfortunately (I like the Sharks).
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:05 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
I mean I wasn't ever really thinking they'd be great, but guys like Meier and Hertl, plus some exciting younger players (mainly Bordeleau and Eklund though, who look like they'll start in the AHL) convinced me they might be okay at least. I think Seattle and Anaheim are probably better than the Sharks in the Pacific though. Bottom 5 for me unfortunately (I like the Sharks).

I said it earlier, if Nieto is still in the NHL 10+ games in I’m blowing my brains out.

We’re stuck with Vlasic
Alfie11 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:09 p.m.
Follow devknowspuck
Why was Milano released
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Why was Milano released

cuz he sucked in camp
capsfan2121, aadoyle, Saskleaf and 1 other person liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Gonna need to pay hockey Canada a visit and stage a takeover with the shovel of justice
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:40 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
cuz he sucked in camp

Yeah he looked lost like man idk I still think hes got talent but wow was that a poor showing

Rask to me will probs get signed by another team but Milano man idk if hes in the NHL this year.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:42 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Sharks named Bonino who could honestly be gone within a year, an A over Meier.

That’s like 5 sharks L’s in the last day.
Db1899 liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:43 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Its weird agreed but Bonino was part of one of the greatest third lines in modern NHL history so I guess they saw that and went here's an A
Oct. 6, 2022 at 6:47 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: aadoyle
Its weird agreed but Bonino was part of one of the greatest third lines in modern NHL history so I guess they saw that and went here's an A

Oh he’s a great guy from the outside looking in, and he’s clearly been a vocal leader amongst the team through the process of the last 1 1/2 years. But he’s not a term member.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 7:01 p.m.

Barzal is wearing the A for the 1st time in his career tonight lol . Isles usually give the A to the worst players on the team
Oct. 6, 2022 at 7:31 p.m.
Follow devknowspuck
Hot take. Ovi will score below 30 goals this year. Low 20s imo
Saskleaf liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 8:16 p.m.
I have a feeling this years sens are going to be like the 17-18 islanders. Top 5 offensive team, awful defense and goaltending
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 8:38 p.m.
The devils let Ross Johnston score.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 9:19 p.m.
It’s criminal he won’t make the team

AndrewLadd liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 9:49 p.m.
CELEBRINI IS A SHARK
Quoting: Db1899
It’s criminal he won’t make the team

because guys like Matt Nieto and Ross Johnston are necessary pieces to play about 1 good minute a night with a total 6-10 of utter blandness. It just science.
Db1899 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 9:50 p.m.
Stars Dynasty Begins
Alright, time for round 2 of guess the Stars' final roster. The 26 healthy players remaining and 1 injured now are:
Forwards (14+ 1 injured): Robertson, Hintz, Pavelski, Marchment, Seguin, Gurianov, Benn, Faksa, Glendening, Peterson, Kiviranta, Johnston, Stankoven, Damiani, Dellandrea (injured)
Defensemen (9): Heiskanen, Lindell, Suter, Lundkvist, Harley, Hakanpaa, Hanley, Miller, Butcher
Goalies (3): Oettinger, Wedgewood, Khudobin
EsoYeezus69 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Oct. 6, 2022 at 10:00 p.m.
Quoting: Db1899
I have a feeling this years sens are going to be like the 17-18 islanders. Top 5 offensive team, awful defense and goaltending

That could definitely be what happens. It really looks like their PP is gonna be lethal. I definitely agree on the awful defense side (unless we get Chychrun or a top 4 RD, then things start to fall into place), although I do think the goaltending could be solid. Forsberg was pretty good last year, and Talbot's not bad when he's healthy.
Db1899 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll