SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

2023 Draft Rankings with explanations

2023 Draft Rankings with explanations

Draft Class: 2022
Created By: Z0ra
Published: Dec. 20, 2022 at 3:46 p.m.
Description
The 20-32nd range was the hardest to rank, so some players may be out of place. A lot of changed within the past two months.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
Connor Bedard
This kid has undeniable talent. This is my fourth draft board posted this year and he’s still No. 1 in my eyes. Though the gap between him and 2nd overall has gotten closer as there are other prospects that are having as good of a season as Bedard is having. At the time of this write-up Bedard is currently leading the OHL in points and one of the most trending players in the world. He's mostly known for his elite scoring touch, Bedard has a slick shot. I would also say that Bedard plays with deceptive skating and dynamic puck handling skill. He also makes the hardest passes in the game look incredibly simple and easy. Just a solid 3-zone player that can a cornerstone player for whatever franchise drafts him.
2Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
Adam Fantilli
The best power forward prospect of this generation, topping Juraj Slafkovsky. I wouldn’t compare Fantilli to Slafkovsky by any means, but he’s a rare find of a power forward centerman. If you compare Fantilli’s season to Michkov’s, Fantilli by far is having a better season. Plus he’s a low-risk pick at this spot unlike Michkov. 2nd overall is controversial, but Fantilli is the one that is more than likely going to be drafted at the spot. Fantilli is about as good as Bedard is in terms of talent. Though in my eyes Fantilli is worse offensively but better in terms of defense and physical play. If he keeps up his superb play, Fantilli may have a good shot of being drafted first overall. Like Bedard, whoever drafts Fantilli is getting talent that is undeniable. Fantilli can be a cornerstone player for any franchise and will just continue to improve this season. Whether he will play in the NHL next season is a giant question mark as he’s currently in the NCAA. But I highly doubt he will play a second season as once again, Fantilli is NHL ready.
3Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
Leo Carlsson
Carlsson is currently playing at an elite level, just like Fantilli. So elite that’s now ahead of Michkov now! Carlsson is basically a worse version of Fantilli, the biggest difference between the two is that Carlsson is inconsistent defensively. But he does have the physical play and commanding offense that Fantilli has. Carlsson is also slightly bigger in size. The main reason Carlsson is as high up as he is right now is just based off point production. At just a young age, the fact that he’s near a PPG is ridiculous to think about and very rare. I would say Carlsson is in the conversation to be drafted 2nd overall, but right now has a lower chance of getting it. I see Carlsson as a franchise-altering forward and I believe this player is NHL ready now.
4Logo of the Seattle Kraken-
Matvei Michkov
Ok hear me out. Michkov is clearly the 2nd best player in the draft. But there is way too much risk to put him there. The fact that his KHL contract expires in 2026 combined with injury luck scares me. But no matter who drafts him, they are getting a player with crazy talent. I won’t go deep into this explanation because Michkov is pretty much the same player as Bedard, except in terms of skating, Michkov doesn’t have the deceptive edgework that Bedard has. Michkov’s skating is still very fluid and silky, but he does shy away from taking the middle lane to go into the dirty area.
5Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
Dalibor Dvorsky
This is the most complete player in the draft, apart from the likes of my top 4. I would define Dvorsky as an offensive 2-way center. Any GM would love Dvorsky because of his ability to excel in all situations of the game. His size and defensive play could earn Dvorsky a top 6 spot on day one of next season, he’s not far from being NHL ready. His only flaw is his skating, as he’s more of a straight-line player. If the agility and/or edgework improves by the end of the year, he will definitely be a mainstay in the NHL and be in contention for the top 4. Dvorsky also has a decent shot, with his best one being his quick release. He’s an excellent option for the power play as Dvorsky is able to keep the puck inside the o-zone during a dump-in. He’s always found in the right area and always makes the smart play. Overall, I see Dvorsky becoming a high-end first liner in a couple of years.
6Logo of the Columbus Blue JacketsLogo of the Chicago Blackhawks
Eduard Sale
Last year Sale was dominant, and this year he’s keeping up with it. Now being a mainstay in the top Czechia league, Sale is putting a half PPG pace. In my last draft board, Sale barely made my top 10. Now that he’s keeping up his dominant play, he is a contender for my top 5. There are really no big holes in Sale’s game, aside from his weak frame at 168 lbs. He can manipulate the game in many different ways and plays with a high amount of skill. Along with the desire to make an impact during the game, Sale’s biggest strength is the playmaking ability. He also has elite hockey IQ and hockey sense. While the playmaking is at an elite level, the shot is just getting at the same level. Last season, Sale’s shooting was accurate but not powerful at all. Over the offseason he refined the shooting as now the shot is more powerful than ever. Overall, Sale’s upside is extremely high and it is just getting better from here, making him a heavy favorite to be selected in the top 5. At best, Sale will be a high-end 1st liner in the NHL. He won’t make the NHL in year one, but year 2 will be the one where Sale makes an impact.
7Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Ottawa Senators
Will Smith
This is a player that has been skyrocketing up my draft board, even when I was creating my last draft board. I had at 25th on my last draft board, which was way too low, considering how he’s playing right now. Smith is a very intriguing prospect to begin with, apart from the likes of Bedard, he has the best puck handling out of anyone in the draft. Just a solid 3-zone player that makes the trickiest dekes in hockey look simple. Smith’s overall offensive prowess doesn’t have many questions to be answered, his favorite play is getting inside the dirty area and scoring from there. His shot is accurate but not powerful by any means, as most of his goals are scored from close range. Smith is a menace in the middle lane of the ice as he uses his 200-ft game very effectively. This is a player that I haven’t scouted as much, but based off the season he’s having, its impossible to not have him in the top 15, even top 10. He’s easily in contention for the top 5 and can be an effective top liner in the near future.
8Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
Zach Benson
I would at this point Benson is one of the bigger boom-or-bust players in this draft. Because of his small frame, I could see teams passing over him and Benson falling out of the top 10. But apart from that, there’s really no flaws that make him a top 10 pick in this draft. He’s mostly known for his playmaking, and despite his size, Benson has an excellent 200-ft game. There are instances of him getting ahead of the play, thinking one step ahead of the defenders. His shot is wicked and defensive instincts are also very good. Overall, this is a very good contender for the top 5 but I do think he will fall slightly because of the weak frame. At best, Benson is a future top liner in the NHL.
9Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-
Brayden Yager
This is a player that has been on the up-and-down in terms of production. Yager self-describes himself as a sniper with an excellent 200-ft game. He can also be put in any situation, whether it’s the power play or penalty kill. I do disagree with this statement as I see Yager as a smart 2-way forward. While I do agree Yager is a shoot-first forward and the fact that his shot is booming, he plays extremely well defensively. Yager can manipulate the game in many ways, making for insane hockey IQ. In the o-zone, Yager plays with an extremely high motor as there are instances of him blowing by defenders and scoring goals. Though Yager may be fast, he definitely isn’t the most agile skater out there. Also there’s the fact that Yager does play center in the WHL, but in the NHL Yager would be too skinny to play center. The development process may take a few years because of this, which is why I think he could fall. I would say the proper way to make sure Yager isn’t a bust is play him on the wing during his rookie year then if he excels, make the transition to center. I see first-line potential in Yager, he’s a very skilled player.
10Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
Andrew Cristall
This player is the most dominant player on my draft board, even more than Sale. Cristall has skyrocketed up my draft board by a mile in the past two months. Cristall is known for his elite forechecking ability, as it’s the best in the draft. Despite being an undersized winger, Cristall is also very good at attacking defenders along the boards. Puck carrying ability is very elusive and Cristall also demonstrates solid hockey IQ. Cristall also has the rare find of an undersized winger who isn’t afraid to be physical. In order to create a scoring chance, Cristall only needs minimal space in order to do so. Overall, Cristall has all the tools to develop into an offensive threat. If he continues to be as dominant as he already is, Cristall could very well be a contender for the top 5 or maybe even get into that range. Excellent winger, at best he's a top line winger.
11Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the San Jose Sharks
Matt Wood
Wood is a very intriguing prospect. A lot of scouts define him as a sniper, but if you look at his game much closer, he is clearly a power forward. Mostly because of his great ability of being able to blow by defenders and scoring goals, which snipers don’t normally do. His start to his rookie season in the NCAA is above average, though it could be better. I think another year in the NCAA should benefit Wood’s development well. But Wood isn’t afraid to muck it up in the cornerboards, the skating is very fluid and fast, making him effective during the breakout and o-zone entries. The only downfall I see with Wood is the defensive aspects of his game. He can be overaggressive with the puck carrier at times, leaving multiple passing options. Overall, Wood is an offensive threat to others and could very well be an effective first liner in the NHL within a couple of years.
12Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets-
Mikhail Gulyayev
This is the best defenseman in the draft. Gulyayev is the best offensive defenseman prospect I’ve seen in a while by miles. I would compare his play style to a lefty Cale Makar. Despite being undersized for a defender, Gulyayev plays with solid competitiveness and high tempo. He also is very fast as he often finds the open area in a hurry. The hockey IQ is also very good, but in terms of the defensive side of the game, improvements could be made. Despite the Russian factor, do not sleep on Gulyayev. He will be an excellent NHL defender, top pair at best.
13Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the New York Islanders
Lukas Dragicevic
Without a doubt, Dragicevic is the best puck-moving defender in the draft. He’s clearly the second-best defender in the draft and has skyrocketed up the draft board, now he’s not far off from Gulyayev’s ceiling. Though he mostly plays a two-way game, his puck movement is incredible, mostly during offensive situations. Dragicevic has NHL-ready size (6’2’’, 181 lbs), elite skating ability, and excellent poise. He’s not afraid of going inside the dirty areas and the ability to pass the puck is also outstanding. But aside from all those great strengths and/or traits, Dragicevic’s upside is a question mark. Because of this, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fall to the bottom 10 of the first round. But no doubt in my mind is this kid a guaranteed first rounder, this season he’s proven to be a very capable defender. If his high-end ability and upside get better, at best Dragicevic will be an excellent top pairing defender.
14Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
Axel Sandin Pelikka
Yet we have another offensive defender. But unlike Dragicevic and Gulyayev, Sandin-Pelikka is the one defender that has skyrocketed up my rankings over the past two months. The success in the junior Swedish league was overwhelming and worthy enough to put him in the first round. Now in the top Swedish league, Sandin-Pelikka is putting up nasty numbers as a rookie, making him an undisputed top 15 pick in the draft and on par with the two defenders above him. His ceiling is now tied with Gulyayev and Dragicevic’s. Despite the small frame, Sandin-Pelikka is a very mobile skater and a flawless puck mover. The hockey IQ on this kid is off-the-charts. Most of his decisions are smart and correct. The only flaw I see with Sandin-Pelikka is the frame at 5’11’’ but that should improve as he continues to play against men. If he keeps up this dominant play, Sandin-Pelikka could very well be in my top 10 in my next draft ranking. At best, I see him becoming a high-end top 2 defender in the NHL.
15Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
Colby Barlow
This was another player on my last draft board that was ranked way too low. There is no doubt in my mind that Barlow is a top 15 player in this draft class. He’s been playing at such an elite level. Barlow is a player who is known to be a legit offensive threat. Known for his elite goal-scoring ability, Barlow has excellent size (6’1’’, 190 lbs). He has a blistering shot, fast-paced skating, and dynamic stick handling. He always makes the smart move during zone entries and plays with such high motor. Barlow has the skill and ability to be a solid defensive forward, but he only taps into that during the penalty kill. Defensively, Barlow is very inconsistent. In terms of having a physical presence, Barlow has an excellent 200-ft game and puts it to effective use during the forecheck. Overall, I see Barlow becoming a low-end top liner in the NHL and effective unit during any on-ice situation.
16Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Vegas Golden Knights
Riley Heidt
This is the player who has the best playmaking ability in the entire draft. Heidt’s entire play style just screams playmaker. And this is apart from the likes of Bedard and Michkov. Like those two, Heidt makes the hardest passes in the game look very easy. He isn’t shy of passing the puck in difficult areas. Most of his brilliance is shown inside the o-zone and neutral area. In the o-zone, Heidt excels at keeping the puck inside the zone to prevent offside calls. With great lateral movement on his feet, Heidt sometimes is able to draw the defenders to the puck, leaving him with multiple passing options, allowing him to extend the play. He’s even better inside the neutral zone, mostly during o-zone entries. He’s able to adapt to the pace of the game and make the smart pass into the zone. In all three zones, Heidt loves to stay and attack the middle lane of the ice and is a menace there. He can make forehead and backhand passes in that area and give space to the two wingers to move the puck. In the d-zone, Heidt’s defensive smarts are excellent as well. While being pressured by the opposition, Heidt is able to gain space and complete a breakout. Aside from the playmaking and dynamic offensive instincts, Heidt needs to improve his physical game. While his shot is accurate, it definitely isn’t the most powerful in the draft. But his hockey IQ and the playmaking being so dynamic definitely gives Heidt a chance to be drafted inside the top 15. Right now he’s barely out of it, but I still see a lot of potential. At best Heidt is a low-end top liner in the NHL.
17Logo of the Nashville Predators-
Koehn Ziemmer
This is the definition of an offensive threat. Ziemmer, the teammate and linemate to Riley Heidt, was ranked at 22nd on my last draft board, and that was yet again too low for my liking. His play this season has been outstanding. He has offensive instincts that are very dynamic. He’s mostly known for his elite shot, but it all starts with his transition game from off to with the puck, he mostly uses this to generate scoring opportunities. In the o-zone, he would receive the puck near the end boards then cut inside the slot and take a high-danger shot. Whenever his team is getting back pressured, Ziemmer is always there to support. He would be in a position where a counter-attack would get started. He’s a menace near the end boards of the ice and during o-zone entries. The defensive aspects of Ziemmer’s game have more to be desired. Also he shies away from being physical, most of the time Ziemmer tries to find the open area and draw defenders near him. Overall, Ziemmer has insane offensive talent and is currently dominating the WHL this season. He has potential to become a high-end top line winger in the NHL, just like his fellow linemate.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-
Samuel Honzek
By a mile this is the second-best Slovak player in the draft, the only one above Honzek being Dalibor Dvorsky. Currently playing in the CHL as of now, Honzek is very gifted offensively. Heavily known for his offensive talents, Honzek has a blistering shot that can be scored from anywhere inside the o-zone. His playmaking isn’t bad either, making for a valuable power play option. I don’t have him scouted as much as many other players on my draft board, but his valuable, elite offense are good enough to make him a top 20 player in the draft. However, the effort away from the puck can be improved upon, as at times he’s in questionable positions while the opposition has the puck. But despite that, I see Honzek as a low-end top liner in the near future.
19Logo of the Minnesota WildLogo of the Los Angeles Kings
Nate Danielson
Danielson is a high value pick at this spot because I would say he’s the best defensive forward in the draft. By a mile that is. The 3-zone effort is ridiculously insane, Danielson often goes for the smart play rather than the flashy one. In the o-zone Danielson lives up to his size, which is already NHL-caliber (6’1’’,181 lbs). He has an excellent 200-ft game, which is displayed mostly during o-zone entries and while crashing the net. Though he is rather slow while crashing the net but the 200-ft game makes up for it. Danielson has a lethal shot in the o-zone and is always one step ahead of the play. In the d-zone, the skating is fluid and Danielson has displayed tremendous poke checking ability. Very effective on the breakout and is able to get the puck out of the d-zone, making him a solid penalty killer. Overall, this is a high upside ranking at 19th, Danielson has potential to become an elite top 6 center in the NHL. It won’t be long until he makes it, just needs to improve his acceleration in the o-zone and be more consistent in terms of point production.
20Logo of the Washington Capitals-
Gabe Perreault
At the beginning of the year, this was a project pick. Now that’s not the case. All Perreault needed to do was add more muscle and he has done just that. Reason Perreault was a project pick was because of the lack of size but since then the size has massively improved, making him a more productive forward. At the same time, Perreault has the best NHL bloodlines in the draft as well. He is the son of longtime NHLer Yanic Perreault and younger brother of Jacob Perreault (a Anaheim Ducks prospect). Gabe’s shot matches his brother’s very well as its very deceptive and booming. Perreault plays with such high poise and is a smooth skater. His forechecking ability is also very solid along with his hockey IQ. Overall, Gabe is a high-energy winger with as much potential as his older brother. Now that the size has improved, the next step in improvement is the physical aspects. Once that and his defensive game becomes more consistent on a nightly basis, I see Perreault breaking through as a high-end top 6 player in the NHL.
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-
Calum Ritchie
This is one of the more intriguing prospects in this draft. Ritchie is very well-disciplined and takes little to no penalties per game, making for a future Selke trophy winner. Also, the best prospect to come out of the Oshawa Generals in a very long time. I would say like Fantilli, Ritchie has the rare find of size and skill. I wouldn’t compare Ritchie to Fantilli by any means, given the fact that Ritchie isn’t physical and also slightly smaller. However, Ritchie plays with such a high compete level every game and a lethal offensive threat to others. He has deceptive skating, honestly its NHL-ready at this point. While having puck possession, Ritchie is very shifty with his skates given the fact that he’s able to get around the dirty areas and avoid stick checks from the opposition. He can excel in all situations of the game, whether it’s the power play or penalty kill. Just a solid 3-zoner who can adapt to any coaching system. Ritchie has a NHL-worthy shot, and he isn’t afraid to get crafty with it. But most of the time, Ritchie goes for the smart office. Only minor improvement is that Ritchie needs to be more consistent during defensive situations. While his penalty killing ability is solid, during 5-on-5 is where it needs work. Overall, a lot to like about Ritchie, as he’s very coachable and well-poised. Overall, this is a player whose point production is very inconsistent, making him fall down my draft board. At best, I see Ritchie as a deceptive two-way forward who has potential to become a first liner in the big leagues.
22Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the Boston Bruins
Cam Allen
This is one of the more underwhelming prospects in the draft. I’m don’t want to lower him much lower than this, because teams should have learned their lesson after Aatu Raty and Brad Lambert. Allen’s point production has been underwhelming to start the season and its showing no signs of improving. Because of this, I have lower on my list than others. While playing with highly-anticipated prospects like Sasha Pastujov and Danny Zhilkin, Allen is molded as an two-way defender. He’s very intriguing because last year, Allen was playing like a offensive defender. Over the offseason he worked on the defensive aspects of the game and has played like a two-way defender since. I would say Allen is slightly small for a defender at 5’11’’, but he makes up for it being nearly 200 lbs, as he’s 190 lbs. He’s very mobile in all 3-zones especially in the d-zone. In the o-zone, Allen’s play is even better, making him a reliable power-play option. While also showcasing his elite 4-way mobility, Allen is super dangerous and/or hard to play against in the end boards. Allen also has a booming wrist shot and can pull it off from anywhere in the o-zone, even while being pressured hard. Overall, this is a rare find in this draft, as Allen is one of very few RD. A solid 3-zone player, and has potential to be a top 4 defender on any team if the point production improves to least a PPG.
23Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
Ethan Gauthier
Gauthier is a lethal goal-scorer who has a will to impact the game every day in many ways. He has a boomer of a shot which was in display often during the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. Gauthier has showed that he has elite playmaking skills with his nifty hands. He makes all the harder passes look incredibly easy. Skating is also very fluid, as Gauthier is able to cut through the middle lane of the ice and score goals while being severely pressured by the opposition. Not the biggest of players in the draft, but still NHL-caliber size for a forward at 5’11’’ and 176 lbs at the moment. Another important thing to note is that Gauthier has the best NHL bloodlines in the draft. He’s the cousin of Rangers forward Julien Gauthier. Also the son of former NHLer Denis Gauthier. Both family members were first-round picks. Gauthier is just a solid 3-zone offensive force, he will just continue to improve his draft stock if the dominance continues. I have him lower than most because Gauthier wasn’t even in my last draft board but like said before, he should move up from here. Overall, this is a guy that can become a high-end top 6 winger.
24Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
Quentin Musty
Once viewed as a top 5 prospect in the draft, Musty now finds himself inside the bottom 10 of my draft board. Its because of certain players rising up to prominence and playing at a dominant level. When you compare them with Musty, the other players performances are slightly better. But Musty is still an elite, prolific power forward that can impact the game during offensive situations. A legit offensive threat to others, Musty plays the game at such a fast-pace, very often you see him way ahead of the play. He’s efficient during the breakout but even better during o-zone entries. Already has NHL-caliber size at 6’2’’ and 205 lbs. Skating wise, Musty is a very fast skater and always is in the correct position during offensive situations. But while Musty is a lethal threat offensively, that certainly isn’t the case defensively. During defensive situations, you will see a completely different player. Musty needs to speed up his decisions way better and effectively, while he defends the play in the d-zone, Musty takes so long to get into the right position. Last season, Musty wasn’t explosive at all, and while its still lacking, its taking a steady improvement. Also, Musty needs to work on keeping his emotions in check, as he takes too many dumb infractions with the stick and body. Overall, this is a player that can be a high-end top 6 winger in the near future. His size and offensive prowess is NHL-worthy, but the defense needs to be developed upon in order to take that next step.
25Logo of the Chicago BlackhawksLogo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
Ryan Leonard
This is an underrated player. Lowly regarded by scouts, Leonard is an elite sniper. He put his name on the NHL radar during last year’s U18 championship. This is a player who has one of the hardest shots in the draft and can score goals at will. Whether the shot is from the point or up close to the net, either way Leonard can score. The 4-way mobility is outstanding as well, as Leonard uses it effectively in the o-zone. He isn’t afraid of pinching inside the o-zone and getting around defenders in order to get multiple shot options. He’s also always active on his feet, he’s never seen flat-footed often. However, the defensive aspects of the games still has a lot of question marks as it hasn’t been highly scouted. In the physical side of the game, Leonard isn’t the grittiest prospect out there. Overall, just like Smith, Leonard isn’t highly scouted. It’s mostly the offensive aspects of the game that have been scouted. He’s just an elite sniper and could be a lethal top 6 winger in the NHL once he finishes his season at Boston College. That’s only if he continues to play the way he is currently right now.
26Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Calgary Flames
Oliver Moore
Moore is a very dynamic offensive threat to others. Reason he is so low at 26th on my board is because he’s a project pick. He’s committed to the U of Minnesota for at least 2 years. Won’t see his NHL debut until at least 2025-26, just like Michkov. Also defensively there’s a lot of question marks. He self-compares his game after Dylan Larkin and describes himself as someone who is speedy. That is definitely evident in the o-zone at least as he’s always involved in the play and makes the smart move often. Moore is a menace in the high slot and is a solid finisher. He’s mostly known for his speed and passing, Moore is just a complete playmaker. Though he can shoot the puck hard from the faceoff dot and through a screen as well. As of now, Moore could be a high-end top 6 center in the NHL, but it could be different depending on how well he develops. Like said before, he’s a project and it will take quite some time to make the NHL.
27Logo of the San Jose SharksLogo of the Carolina Hurricanes
Gavin McCarthy
By far, by a mile, this is the most UNDERRATED player in the entire draft. McCarthy has been on a tear as of late, it was disgusting that Central Scouting gave him a C rating. Because this season in particular he’s played like an A rated player. McCarthy plays a complete two-way game, I would compare his play style to Adam Fox. McCarthy is able to make smart decisions in a hurry and out of all defenseman in the draft, McCarthy is the best passer. He can make any type of pass on the ice, including end-to-end passes. Also the ability to draw defenders towards him (which opens more passing options for him) is ridiculously good, that’s where his elite puck handling come into play. Having said all that, McCarthy’s defensive game is inconsistent. There are times where he makes the correct defensive play, but there are times where errors are present during those situations. Also his skating without the puck could be improved upon as he’s rough around the edges. With the puck its above average at best, McCarthy uses solid edgework to make offensive plays. Overall, there’s a lot of potential with this kid, but I see McCarthy being a high-end top 4 defender in the NHL sooner rather than later.
28Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the Florida Panthers
Kasper Halttunen
Here we have another very intriguing prospect. I would say Halttunen as the best physicality in the draft by a great mile. His ability to make hits is unbelievable, impacting all situations of the game. However, his production in the Liiga has been underwhelming to start the season as he only has 1 assist in 15 games. Add on to the fact that he’s the worst disciplined player in the draft. Often he’s seen getting frustrated whenever he makes simple mistakes and takes unnecessary penalties. However, there’s still a lot to love about Halttunen. His size is one of the best in the draft (6’3’’, 207 lbs), just a prototypical power forward. Halttunen put his name on the NHL radar during the U18 championship while playing for Team Finland. His production was about as good as it could get for a rookie, scoring 5 points (2G, 3A) in 6 games. Being a power forward, Halttunen plays with speed and finesse. Whenever the opposition is setting up a breakout, Halttunen makes sure that it doesn’t get executed by being aggressive against the puck carrier. While his own team is on the breakout however, his passes are inconsistent. Sometimes he’s seen making dumb passes, resulting in a turnover. But sometimes he makes the smart play during the breakout. His zone entries are effective and, in the o-zone, Halttunen tends to think one step ahead of the opposition. His shot is also deadly, he can rip it from anywhere. Overall, this is a threatening offensive presence, Halttunen could be a low-end first liner in the near future if he production improves, but as of now I see him as a high-end top 6 NHL player.
29Logo of the Arizona CoyotesLogo of the Edmonton Oilers
Charlie Stramel
I have Stramel much lower because I would say he’s more of a boom-or-bust prospect at this point as he’s too slow for an NHL center. Add onto the fact that his production against NCAA players is low to start the season. For a guy that’s projected to go in the first round, Stramel could produce better numbers. Also, while he does have the second-biggest frame in the draft (6’3’’, 216 lbs), Stramel often struggles to keep his balance on his feet. But while he has those flaws in him, there’s still tons to love about Stramel’s game. His willingness to make an impact is huge, and the versatility Stramel has is amazing. He can play at any position, whether its wing or center. Just a prolific power forward who has dangerous during neutral zone play and offensive situations. Despite struggling to stay balanced, Stramel is still able to muck it up in the corners and win a lot of o-zone board battles. He’s a menace in the middle lane of the o-zone and his net front presence is threatening. Hockey IQ is also very good in all three zones, very often he makes the smart play. Sometimes during defensive scenarios, Stramel very rarely tends to go overaggressive against the puck carrier, giving the opposition an easy o-zone entry. If he uses this season to improve the skating, Stramel will become more of a boomer prospect and his draft ranking should move up slightly. At best, like Halttunen, Stramel will become a low-end 1st liner at the NHL level if the production improves. However, as of now I see Stramel becoming a high-end top 6 forward at the NHL level.
30Logo of the Winnipeg JetsLogo of the New York Rangers
Otto Stenberg
This guy is the most competitive Swedish-born player in the draft. Captained Sweden during the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, in the tournament he was second in points overall with 9 (5G, 4A). Although the stats show more goal-scoring, Stenberg is mostly known for his dynamic playmaking ability. While the shot is elite and booming, Stenberg’s passing is much better. While not as dynamic as my top 3, Stenberg goes for the smart pass, often he lacks the ability to do a highlight-reel play. In all 3 zones, Stenberg showcases solid aggressiveness, mostly during board battles. Also, during time inside the o-zone, he is very agile and is always involved in the play, making him a very effective power play option. However, the main reason he’s outside my top 20 is mostly because of the skating. While Stenberg is agile with and without the puck, he isn’t explosive and is often slow, making him non-effective during the forecheck. Also to note without the puck, his 3-zone positioning is inconsistent as sometimes he stays flat-footed in questionable areas of the ice. At time it leaves the opposition with several passing options. But overall, this is a high value player here, and Stenberg has solid upside. At most he can become a high-end top 6 center and/or winger in the NHL.
31Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-
Theo Lindstein
Just a solid 3-zone player, Lindstein plays a defensive two-way game at all times. He’s also got the best mobility out of any defender in the draft as Lindstein is always active on his feet, no matter where he is. Lindstein also doesn’t shy away from mucking it up in the corners of the d-zone and is a solid puck carrier, especially on the breakout. During the breakout, Lindstein often passes to the correct forward. His o-zone play could use some minor tweaks, the biggest one being the ability to pinch in close quarters towards the net. However, Lindstein often goes for the smart play rather than the flashy one. Overall, I see a lot of potential with Lindstein, at best he will become a high-end top 4 defender in the NHL.
32Logo of the Edmonton OilersLogo of the Colorado Avalanche
Hunter Brzustewicz
Just a solid two-way defender who is effective in all three zones, Brzustewicz always makes the smart plays defensively. In the o-zone, he’s dangerous around the blue line and can carry the puck very smooth around the zone. Reason why I have Brzustewicz so low in the draft is because he’s been sent down to lower competition in the OHL with Kitchener. The main reason being is because of injury troubles Brzustewicz faced throughout last season. There is a good chance he falls as I see this as another Kemell situation. Also, he doesn’t really shoot the puck as often as I would like him to. But none of the less, this is a high-upside player and the amount of upside Brzustewicz has is proving that this is a very deep draft. I still see a lot of potential in this kid, could be a high-end top 4 defender in the NHL.
Dec. 20, 2022 at 5:05 p.m.
power forward
BruinsFan35 and TZ11 liked this.
Dec. 20, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
power forward
Dec. 20, 2022 at 5:06 p.m.
power forward
Dec. 20, 2022 at 7:57 p.m.
Habs4Ever
Stramel, Ritchie, and Dragicevic and Yager too low IMO
No way Yager goes after Sale
Z0ra liked this.
Dec. 20, 2022 at 8:07 p.m.
You should be working for a scouting agency.
drambui, Z0ra and Sharkie69 liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:16 a.m.
yotes own canada
thanks for the mention. this is incredibly well done, props to you for having the time. i think dvorsky might fall down to around 9-10, and will smith i think should go top 5, but looks very very well done
Z0ra liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:26 a.m.
go Sharks go
always love these rankings, thanks man!
Z0ra and TheWildSabres liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:23 p.m.
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy

how can people make still such comment that no way this guys goes after this guys. every year its '' no way lambert falls off top 10, raty at 15 is too low'' etc etc...
Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: TheRealisticGuy

Stramel is an example of a player that I forgot about so yea I could see him being higher.

Because of Yager's elite two-way style I totally see a scenario where a team reaches on him. Same for Dragicevic, because of the lack of defenseman in this draft he could be taken in the top 10. I actually do think he will be taken ahead of Gulyayev, because of the Russian factor.
TheRealisticGuy liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: sens65
You should be working for a scouting agency.

Thank you for the support!
sens65 liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: dickie_boon
thanks for the mention. this is incredibly well done, props to you for having the time. i think dvorsky might fall down to around 9-10, and will smith i think should go top 5, but looks very very well done

Appreciate the support. I could see Dvorsky falling to that range if a team accounts for his skating. Compared to most players in the top 10, Dvorsky's skating isn't all that great. Smith I see a scenario where he does go top 5 in the draft if a team looks at recency bias. However, if Smith continues to be dominant, I could see him passing Dvorsky in the rankings.
dickie_boon liked this.
Dec. 21, 2022 at 12:37 p.m.
power forward
Quoting: SJSGM
always love these rankings, thanks man!

Thank you!
Dec. 21, 2022 at 1:37 p.m.
Habs4Ever
Quoting: drambui
how can people make still such comment that no way this guys goes after this guys. every year its '' no way lambert falls off top 10, raty at 15 is too low'' etc etc...

You are right, I shouldn’t say that

Quoting: christianyog
Stramel is an example of a player that I forgot about so yea I could see him being higher.

Because of Yager's elite two-way style I totally see a scenario where a team reaches on him. Same for Dragicevic, because of the lack of defenseman in this draft he could be taken in the top 10. I actually do think he will be taken ahead of Gulyayev, because of the Russian factor.

Yeah because of the lack of defenseman, teams are always reaching, ex : Mo Seider, Sanderson/Drysdale, Edvinsson
drambui and Z0ra liked this.
Dec. 22, 2022 at 2:07 p.m.
Bedard doesn't play in the OHL, he plays in the WHL and the gap is still massive. Other prospects are not having as good of a year as him because hes putting up generational numbers.
Dec. 30, 2022 at 1:58 p.m.
Quoting: Mitch9412
Bedard doesn't play in the OHL, he plays in the WHL and the gap is still massive. Other prospects are not having as good of a year as him because hes putting up generational numbers.

Not just generational numbers, but record shattering numbers
Dec. 30, 2022 at 11:29 p.m.
Great rankings!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll