SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #1: Beg for Bedard

May 14, 2023 at 6:59 a.m.
More Finns More Wins
Hypothetical scanario: Kyle Davidson thinks he's Peter Chiarelli and wants to trade the first overall pick in in a 1-for-1 trade. Whicih players in the league are off-limits and which players would the Hawks accept straight up?

I think the only off-limits player is McDavid, and Chicago would at least strongly consider Draisaitl, Makar, Matthews, and M. Tkachuk.

I guess an alternate way of phrasing the question is: Which players currently in the NHL have MORE trade value than Connor Bedard?
zk97 liked this.
May 14, 2023 at 7:36 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
USA is gonna win the World Championship they were given the best player in the tourney Cutter Gauthier

NHL MT Rushmore rn
Wayne Gretzky
Connor McDavid
Cutter Gauthier
Sidney Crosby
May 14, 2023 at 7:47 a.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: Hurricanes_WPG
Hypothetical scanario: Kyle Davidson thinks he's Peter Chiarelli and wants to trade the first overall pick in in a 1-for-1 trade. Whicih players in the league are off-limits and which players would the Hawks accept straight up?

I think the only off-limits player is McDavid, and Chicago would at least strongly consider Draisaitl, Makar, Matthews, and M. Tkachuk.

I guess an alternate way of phrasing the question is: Which players currently in the NHL have MORE trade value than Connor Bedard?

Jack Hughes would be the only viable option for the Blackhawks if trading Connor Bedard that I could think of.
Devils would never do that though.
May 14, 2023 at 9:04 a.m.
Go leafs go

Matthews. I’d do that easily from the leaf’s perspective since Matthews only has one year left of his deal.
May 14, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.

These are assets to the owners. The NHL’s purpose is to enable the individual ownership groups to make money. Bedard is an asset worth over a hundred million even if he flops during the time you control him, over a billion if he overperforms, yet costs you a small fraction, especially upfront. In the current economic times where commercial real estate, business credit, treasuries, crypto, and inflation are all various levels of on fire, upfront cash is king of kings.

Chicagos owner would want more than that to trade him. I don’t think that exists. That isn’t McDavid because you need to send ~20 mil his way each year for salary, amenities, and insurance as well as entice him with a competitive ($) team.

This wouldn’t be a hockey trade even if it were presented to the public as such. Bedard would be traded for real estate/equity/businesses behind the scenes. The same return doesn’t exist in the NHL.
May 14, 2023 at 1:00 p.m.

I think anyone who is in the group of Makar, McKinnon, McDavid, Drai, Matthews, etc, trading for Bedard would be a high risk, high reward move, I think anyone who is currently playing top level hockey would be off limits, simply too risky to move them for Bedard
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
So Sandin put David Reinbacher in the hospital
zk97 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: capsfan2121

Gonna be awkward when the Caps pick him at 8
capsfan2121 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

'tis but a fraction of his power
capsfan2121 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Juiceman
Gonna be awkward when the Caps pick him at 8

Leonard is a cap
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
'tis but a fraction of his power

That was orlov type sh*t right there
NoVaSpartan liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 12:09 p.m.
torontos finest

bad news for acgms
May 15, 2023 at 12:49 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Edited May 15, 2023 at 2:52 p.m.
Deleted post, because I accidentally posted in the wrong thread LOL
May 15, 2023 at 1:35 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Prediction for tonight:
SEA 1-4 DAL

Seattle hasn't had a problem "KRAKEN" Jake Oettinger. I can't see them going quietly into the night for one goal. I think they pot at least 2. But ultimately, Dallas' big boys show up tonight. 4-2 Final. Hopefully we get a really tight game tonight, as this series really hasn't seen one yet. Outside of probably only game 1.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
If im MLSE big brain move

Promote Shanahan and Dubas (CEO and President)

Then hire Eric Tulsky as GM. Carolina loves him and want to keep him but would they be able to outbid Toronto's offer. As money does talk

Coach man options suck this year I guess Laviolette lul
zk97 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: mondo

bad news for acgms

Not sure what else he'd say. Could you imagine the hate he'd get if he said anything else?
A_Habs_fan and Steven_Stamkos liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Not sure what else he'd say. Could you imagine the hate he'd get if he said anything else?

He could have gone im unsure of things rn I need to take my time and see

Like other guys who arent full on committed
May 15, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

even that would get the rumour mill blowing, Matthews is in a market that for better or worse, anything other than commitment is scrutinized
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 1:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
even that would get the rumour mill blowing, Matthews is in a market that for better or worse, anything other than commitment is scrutinized

I mean it goes either way. Personally I think hes staying for the money as endorsements, sponsors, and MLSE bank accounts are a big thing it seems to him along with Canadian fame.

Question is whats he getting and for how long as u got to thread that water carefully. To me 13mill x 8 years as man he did not have a great year. If he did what he did last year 14.34mill
May 15, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle

Like Nylander?
Steven_Stamkos and A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

Like Nylander?

Future capital
May 15, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Future capital

you are getting Nick Schmaltz and you will like it
capsfan2121 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 2:15 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 15, 2023 at 2:46 p.m.

Like Nylander?

His situation will be different and more-so based on money. If he wants to much probs traded. But if a team comes a long and offers a deal u cant refuse for him (massive overpay u also do it)

Cause when it comes to top C vs Wing you keep the C.

But in the end Leafs have almost 20mill to spend this offseason they can add 2 5mill wingers and be fine cap wise with a 22man team

7lp82p.jpg
May 15, 2023 at 4:10 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
FqJ1iJeWcAAyO-B.png

Future Leafs GM
May 15, 2023 at 4:26 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Leafs are in such a weird spot. This is like 6 years straight of fiddling out in the playoffs but they've yet to make changes to the core 4.

Ideally your trading Tavares imo but that seems nearly impossible due to his Cap Hit and Full NMC. I don't think you can trade Matthews despite him being easy to pick because he didn't light it up in the playoffs it sounds like he was playing hurt all year and he still managed a decent post season.

Which Leaves Marner and Nylander. Personally I'm trading Nylander. He's gonna want too much money. Also Marner has arguably been the most consistent player on that team I just don't think youy can trade him, plus I think he's also became a real leader.
zk97 liked this.
May 15, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
Leafs are in such a weird spot. This is like 6 years straight of fiddling out in the playoffs but they've yet to make changes to the core 4.

Ideally your trading Tavares imo but that seems nearly impossible due to his Cap Hit and Full NMC. I don't think you can trade Matthews despite him being easy to pick because he didn't light it up in the playoffs it sounds like he was playing hurt all year and he still managed a decent post season.

Which Leaves Marner and Nylander. Personally I'm trading Nylander. He's gonna want too much money. Also Marner has arguably been the most consistent player on that team I just don't think youy can trade him, plus I think he's also became a real leader.

Imo, the Leafs would ideally trade JT or Matthews. Nylander, Marner have both been amazing, Nylander is the most movable of them though so he’s likely gone, even if I think that’s an error. Leafs are just likely stuck in that spot of “good regular season team that can’t figure out the playoffs” until they can do a serious overhaul imo

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll