SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed David Kämpf (4 Years / $2,400,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 28, 2023 at 3:43 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Leafsfan98
That's hilarious when you realize he's a 3C playing 4C and is making as much as Allen/1 mill less than Armia despite being a lot more valuable then both

Armia is a 4th liner overpaid by Bergevin. Allen is great in his role and well worth the money we pay him. Kampf is a 4th line center and isn't very good at it.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 3:54 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Armia is a 4th liner overpaid by Bergevin. Allen is great in his role and well worth the money we pay him. Kampf is a 4th line center and isn't very good at it.

That's funny, he's one of, if no the best penalty killer in the league, turns negative pucks into positive ones and all the small things that it takes to win... while not getting a lot of credit for it. TBH, there's so many player on each NHL team that I'd rather Kampf over
Jun. 28, 2023 at 3:55 p.m.
Leafs fan. In isolation it's probably fine. But in the context of the teams cap it's just too much

I like Kampf and he plays the shut down c role pretty well. But the bottom line is he is a 4th line c and not a 3rd line c. And in general one should avoid paying 4th liners more than 1.5 to maybe 2 mil. With the Leafs cap they definitely shouldn't be above 2.

And to those saying he's a 3c: in the sense that he may be the 80th to 90th best c in the league perhaps. But he is an offensive hole, and the Leafs need more offense from a third line than he can bring. The only way a team can have a guy like him as 3c is if they can get more scoring from their fourth line.
rollie1967 liked this.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 4:21 p.m.
Moo-kama-doo-lin
Ouch. Leafs missing Dubas right about now.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.
Under 2.5M for under 5 years? I don't see what's wrong with this contract.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 4:33 p.m.
I can't wait to see the Leafs fans after Matthews and Nylander extensions.

Kampf @ 2.4M: NO

Nylander @ 10M: YES

Matthews @ 13M: YES
Britishbulldog liked this.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 4:35 p.m.
the leafs are the last team that should be overpaying and giving term to a good 4th liner without much upside left. While sound defensively, he shouldnt be paid over 2mil per for it. Glendinning, Helm are two like players who dont get paid anywhere near that.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
I don't see a reason to hate this deal. Yeah it's overpay for like 400k but that's not bad. He'd gotten more on the open market. Also these are all prime years they're buying. Excellent two-way center who can play basically any bottom-six positions when needed.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 4:41 p.m.
As someone that wanted Acciari or Kampf to hit UFA; this seems like a good shot that Acciari hits the market.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 4:54 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
As someone that wanted Acciari or Kampf to hit UFA; this seems like a good shot that Acciari hits the market.

If I had to pick one of them to sign, I think I'd choose Acciari, but of course it depends on the contract he's willing to sign. I wouldn't give him 4 years.
Jun. 28, 2023 at 5:16 p.m.
Slight overpay. Appears to be the standard for this free agency,
Jun. 29, 2023 at 6:16 a.m.
A NTC?

I like Kampf, but he does not produce offensively to be a third line center on a team desperate for depth, beyond the big 4. He would have gotten that on the open market no problem. Hes a quick defensive player, who lacks an offensive upside.

I know theres some desperation in leafland (gm gone, minor league coaches gone, scouting team gone last year), lack of picks and prospects and a ton of empty roster spots, but Kampf at 2.5mil for a guy who's best suited for 4th line is a bit too much.

Leaf fans scoff at the price of a Laughton but pay Kampf 500k less, for 10-15 less pts, no physicality and less leadership. A team that gives up 1sts and 3rd and 4ths for TDL short term rentals like old man foligno and struggling O'Reilly?

I like Kampf, but 2.5 for 4 years and a NTC for an excellent 4th line center, is alot for a club going nowhere, and really lacking 3rd liners/offensive depth.

This idea that UFA Matthews will take a less than 10% raise to 13mil for the good of the team? Insanity. (A team that lacks high picks over the next 3-4 years, is still cap strapped, lacks high end or NHL prospects = lacking internal ELC replacements.) And even Matthews takes the measly pay increase at 13mil, theres still not cap space to really address the rest of the team, and a lack of picks/prospects for TDL/in-season fixes. I just dont know where this team can save cap and make the next steps with the current structure or organizational depth.

And I dont know why Matthews, Nylander wouldn't go elsewhere, and not just for the money, but because other teams might have a stronger chance with picks/prospects/better structure AND money.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:39 a.m.
McMann Season
Quoting: Hammerwise
A NTC?

I like Kampf, but he does not produce offensively to be a third line center on a team desperate for depth, beyond the big 4. He would have gotten that on the open market no problem. Hes a quick defensive player, who lacks an offensive upside.

I know theres some desperation in leafland (gm gone, minor league coaches gone, scouting team gone last year), lack of picks and prospects and a ton of empty roster spots, but Kampf at 2.5mil for a guy who's best suited for 4th line is a bit too much.

Leaf fans scoff at the price of a Laughton but pay Kampf 500k less, for 10-15 less pts, no physicality and less leadership. A team that gives up 1sts and 3rd and 4ths for TDL short term rentals like old man foligno and struggling O'Reilly?

I like Kampf, but 2.5 for 4 years and a NTC for an excellent 4th line center, is alot for a club going nowhere, and really lacking 3rd liners/offensive depth.

This idea that UFA Matthews will take a less than 10% raise to 13mil for the good of the team? Insanity. (A team that lacks high picks over the next 3-4 years, is still cap strapped, lacks high end or NHL prospects = lacking internal ELC replacements.) And even Matthews takes the measly pay increase at 13mil, theres still not cap space to really address the rest of the team, and a lack of picks/prospects for TDL/in-season fixes. I just dont know where this team can save cap and make the next steps with the current structure or organizational depth.

And I dont know why Matthews, Nylander wouldn't go elsewhere, and not just for the money, but because other teams might have a stronger chance with picks/prospects/better structure AND money.

M-NTC and NTC are very different. 10 team no trade list, meaning 21 teams ahe could be traded to if need be
Jun. 29, 2023 at 9:40 a.m.
He was one of the better players against Tampa Bay due to his constant pressure. Considering TB outplayed TOR in the series imo, he was someone I looked at thinking what a pain in the ass even when they were multiple goals down.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 11:30 a.m.
Very underwhelming first signing from BT in Toronto. This AAV is about $750k-$1M too high on even a 1 year deal, so the fact the term didn't bring it down is kind of insane IMO.

This won't destroy Toronto's cap sheet in a single signing, but people gripe over what they consider to be overpayments to the stars, but this is as big an overpayment as any contract on their books in terms of cap dollars, and it's on a contract that you simply didn't need to sign.

Between this, and making a big reach with the 28th pick in the draft, BT had a very underwhelming first active day as manager.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: McSorley

Kampf 2.4M: NO

Nylander 10M: YES

Matthews 13M: YES

Are you suggesting that Nylander and Matthew's at $10M and $13M respectively are worse contracts than Kampf at $2.4M?

Nylander isn't getting $10M, it's likely high 8's or low 9's, but I would take Nylander at $10M over $2.4M for David Kampf any day of the week.

Also, Matthews is easily getting more than $13M, and he will likely be a bargain at just about any number he does get. If he gets 6 times Kampf's number, that's still a far far better allocation of cap space.
Jun. 29, 2023 at 1:47 p.m.
Brad Treliving FA signing strikes again
Jun. 30, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
He's a 3C on 30/32 NHL teams last year... he just happened to be on one of those two teams last year

He's a 3C on 29/32 NHL team... He'd be a 4C on the Hurricanes
Jul. 1, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: seanrushton
He's a 3C on 29/32 NHL team... He'd be a 4C on the Hurricanes

Forgot about the Canes
seanrushton liked this.
Jan. 27 at 11:53 a.m.
Quoting: McSorley

Kampf 2.4M: NO

Nylander 10M: YES

Matthews 13M: YES

You were close on the Matthews one, but were well off on Nylander.

The Leafs have less than $22 million cap space and need to sign AT LEAST 8 players, but really need 11. I can't see how they are going to do that.
McSorley liked this.
Jan. 27 at 11:56 a.m.
This signing has turned into a disaster. He's on his worst points per game pace of his career and he's been bad defensively as well. Some nights, he looks like he should be in the AHL.
mv21227 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 3:00 p.m.
WentWughes
That's hilarious when you realize he's a 3C playing 4C and is making as much as Allen/1 mill less than Armia despite being a lot more valuable then both

Just wondering what your thoughts are now? Just over half a season into this contract and not only is he a 4th liner, he's not even a good 4th liner. Like I said, Bergevin 2.0.
mv21227 liked this.
Jan. 27 at 4:49 p.m.
Just wondering what your thoughts are now? Just over half a season into this contract and not only is he a 4th liner, he's not even a good 4th liner. Like I said, Bergevin 2.0.

A lot of Leafs fans still seem surprisingly okay with this deal despite Kampf playing significantly worse this year
Jan. 27 at 5:52 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jan. 27 at 6:04 p.m.
Quoting: mv21227
A lot of Leafs fans still seem surprisingly okay with this deal despite Kampf playing significantly worse this year

I mean I wonder why lets be real

Look who hes with

Gregor, Reaves, McMann, and Holmberg

He still plays good defense but sadly the linemates downgraded when his money went up

Do what Dallas did with Faksa get some nice linemates as even with the deal u get him nice players who fit his needs will do just fine.
Jan. 27 at 10:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

Still believe it... Pairing him with guys like Engvall and Kerfoot or Mikheyev help him offensively while he can cover their mistakes defensively...

Knies and Domi didn't work with him bc they both are the guys making space for the 3rd player, Kampf's not that guy

Whereas more defensive guys, Gregor, or guys without much upside, Reaves, limit his effectiveness offensively...

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit