SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Los Angeles Kings signed Anze Kopitar (2 Years / $7,000,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Ritzy
Maybe next time you won't be so condescending right off the hop.

Why would I not react with the information at hand?
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
not sure what the kings gains. i have a hard time believing that next season goes so well that kopitar would have asked for more than 7 Mil. and i have a hard time believing that in case he is still good enough, 7 mil would be not enough of a hometown discount for him to sign.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:42 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
It literally wasn't. Had the ! This is just an estimate will be updated later on it
And again, you fail to address the rest of the concern

Extending the best player in franchise history as soon as possible hardly seems that concerning.
Wqrrior, McSorley, TaiwanNumberOne and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Probably a bit early to give him that much money. It's quite plausible he falls off hard this year and they're committing low end #1c money for two MORE years. Flipside is its probably a bit of a lifetime achievement contract. /shrug.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:45 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: tkecanuck341
Extending the best player in franchise history as soon as possible hardly seems that concerning.

There was no reason to do it now. Only risk. He wasn't going to leave if you waited until the deadline or offseason.
He is at that age where players just fall off the earth. Whether by injury or just plain old decline he could easily see his results plummet.
As I already said. Poor risk-reward analysis to sign this deal now
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:46 p.m.
Quoting: drambui
not sure what the kings gains. i have a hard time believing that next season goes so well that kopitar would have asked for more than 7 Mil. and i have a hard time believing that in case he is still good enough, 7 mil would be not enough of a hometown discount for him to sign.

I don't think this was about getting the best contract from the teams perspective. I think it's a respect to the captain kind of thing. Not an ideal thing to do in the cap era, but I have trouble getting too upset about them showing him such respect.
Quoting: JackForHart
its a bit of an overpay but its there captain so i assume its fine

Overpay? How so? Love to hear it
Crazy_Eddie liked this.

he always is lol
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:48 p.m.
There was no reason to do it now. Only risk. He wasn't going to leave if you waited until the deadline or offseason.
He is at that age where players just fall off the earth. Whether by injury or just plain old decline he could easily see his results plummet.
As I already said. Poor risk-reward analysis to sign this deal now

It's a bad deal from a cap era/hockey building perspective. Way too early in the year. Plenty of big #1 C's decline around his age (think of a guy like Getzlaf). That being said I have to see this as more of an organizational respect/honouring thing than a true cap/hockey move.

Like Getzlaf not being traded his last year then being resigned for like 5 mil when he was a shell of his former self. I have trouble getting too fussed.

Is it a good move? No.
Do I get it? Yeah
Wqrrior and PrisonBull liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: Wqrrior
he always is lol

Perhaps if your takes occasionally had merit we'd be on better terms.

Imagine thinking that (without evidence) this 35+ deal was one of the unicorns that could be bought out

Which again - ISNT EVEN THE POINT.

The point was about risk for no reward
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:50 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: BCAPP
It's a bad deal from a cap era/hockey building perspective. Way too early in the year. Plenty of big #1 C's decline around his age (think of a guy like Getzlaf). That being said I have to see this as more of an organizational respect/honouring thing than a true cap/hockey move.

Like Getzlaf not being traded his last year then being resigned for like 5 mil when he was a shell of his former self. I have trouble getting too fussed.

Is it a good move? No.
Do I get it? Yeah

This is a fine take. I disagree with it but its one that is somewhat reasonable.

But the convo was focusing on this bit
"Is it a good move? No. "
BCAPP liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too

Condescension is the default voice of the know-it-all who sometimes doesn't know what he thinks he knows.

I can't say that after 75 years I know a whole lot for sure, but here's one thing you can bet everything you own on: the guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room . . . is seldom the smartest guy in the room.
Wqrrior, Newgod77, GabeVilardiFanAccount and 6 others liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: OldNYIfan
Condescension is the default voice of the know-it-all who sometimes doesn't know what he thinks he knows.

I can't say that after 75 years I know a whole lot for sure, but here's one thing you can bet everything you own on: the guy who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room . . . is seldom the smartest guy in the room.

Condescension is the voice of someone who has lots of experiance with that poster. None of it positive- but please continue to assume what I think. I'm curious to know more about myself. I'm sure an oldtimer like you would have plenty to share
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:55 p.m.
Quoting: OldNYIfan

https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/dunning-kruger-effect

While so many people here care so much about the advanced stats graph, here's the only graph that really matters and applies to everyone on this website lol
GabeVilardiFanAccount, drambui, OldNYIfan and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
This is a fine take. I disagree with it but its one that is somewhat reasonable.

But the convo was focusing on this bit
"Is it a good move? No. "

It's the only thing that makes sense to me. It's obviously not a good move unless Blake has decided the only possible aging curve Kopitar can have is bergeron's bizarre one. Otherwise big C's (and we'll everyone) usually decline by 35. Signing a guy a year early for low end #1 line at their position for two years would just be dumb otherwise.
Random2152 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
https://thedecisionlab.com/biases/dunning-kruger-effect

While so many people here care so much about the advanced stats graph, here's the only graph that really matters and applies to everyone on this website lol

Very funny you posted this since the DK effect has since been discredited.

Just a little ironic
Jul. 6, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Condescension is the voice of someone who has lots of experiance with that poster. None of it positive- but please continue to assume what I think. I'm curious to know more about myself. I'm sure an oldtimer like you would have plenty to share

We have experience? I don't recall your name from before today.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:00 p.m.
RETIRED
Am I the only one thinking this deal makes the one Malkin signed that much better for PIT?
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:02 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
We have experience? I don't recall your name from before today.

Unfortunately we do
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
I don't think this was about getting the best contract from the teams perspective. I think it's a respect to the captain kind of thing. Not an ideal thing to do in the cap era, but I have trouble getting too upset about them showing him such respect.

from my point of view they respected him enough with the 80 million contract they game him, but i understand where you are coming from.
BCAPP liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:05 p.m.

Spider_Man_meme.jpg
TaiwanNumberOne liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:06 p.m.

Didn't Wayne Gretzky play for LA?
PrisonBull liked this.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:07 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Spider_Man_meme.jpg

Buddy don't make me get the receipts. I am far to lazy and CF doesn't have a search system.

Hell you literally just referenced a discredited theory as a dunk lmao
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:10 p.m.
Buddy don't make me get the receipts. I am far to lazy and CF doesn't have a search system.

Hell you literally just referenced a discredited theory as a dunk lmao

I don't have enough beef specifically with you to be trying to make any dunks. Really these posts (the meme and the theory link) are a dig at everyone. Everyone here is always at odds with each other, thinks they know what others don't, and thinks they're the smartest in the room. The discredited theory couldn't be more accurate on this website because none of us are hockey experts yet we all act as if we do. Even this meme, were all pointing fingers at each other for doing the same things we do ourselves. All of what this thread is summarizes to a tee what this website is.
Jul. 6, 2023 at 6:13 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I don't have enough beef specifically with you to be trying to make any dunks. Really these posts (the meme and the theory link) are a dig at everyone. Everyone here is always at odds with each other, thinks they know what others don't, and thinks they're the smartest in the room. The discredited theory couldn't be more accurate on this website because none of us are hockey experts yet we all act as if we do. Even this meme, were all pointing fingers at each other for doing the same things we do ourselves. All of what this thread is summarizes to a tee what this website is.

Listen. I will give you that CF forums are a ****show
Wqrrior liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit