SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Carolina Hurricanes signed Caleb Jones (1 Year / $775,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:17 p.m.
Caleb Jones has signed a new contract with the Carolina Hurricanes.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Don Waddell
Length: 1 year
Value: $775,000
Expiry Status: UFA
Cap % Tooltip: 0.93
Signing Team: Logo of the Carolina HurricanesCarolina Hurricanes
Signing Date: Aug. 10, 2023
Source: CapFriendly

Caleb Jones signed a 1 year, $775,000 contract with the Carolina Hurricanes on Aug. 10, 2023. The contract has a cap hit of $775,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2023-24$775,000$775,000$0$0$775,000$775,000$775,000
TOTAL$775,000$775,000$0$0$775,000$775,000$775,000
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:20 p.m.
go Sharks go
no risk deal for a guy with really solid underlying stats
Canes183, Missouri, RawDeal and 2 others liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:23 p.m.
Bedard23
Can they fit Seth Jones under the cap?
Missouri liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Fantastic value for the Canes here. Love this deal
CookieColin31, Missouri and RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:28 p.m.
Canadian
Edmonton oilers legend
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
How many dmen does Carolina need?
KubaH liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
1-0 them
Quoting: IconicHawk
Can they fit Seth Jones under the cap?

it’s possible just gotta move out a few guys
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
exo2769
It's an "incase of injury" signing. Not a bad deal.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 7:51 p.m.
CAR will most likely expose to waivers either him or Coghlan

Maybe the deal implies he'll be kept as the 7-8th D on the roster.

Anyhow, not the best team to choose to get ice time
Aug. 10, 2023 at 8:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: pinslack
CAR will most likely expose to waivers either him or Coghlan

Maybe the deal implies he'll be kept as the 7-8th D on the roster.

Anyhow, not the best team to choose to get ice time

Got a feeling its Coghlan

As Jones can play both sides and is a nice fill in guy

Really surprised ANA didnt get him as he filled in the 2nd pair spot well in Chicago
fullblowncaniac90 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 8:16 p.m.
Jones will be on waivers.

Emergency call up depth player, just like Jones with the Leafs, a risk to lose the player on waivers, I'm guessing both teams believe there will be no waiver claim for players who were free for 6 weeks and no GM wanted them.

Any Ufa signing from now on will be waiver wire players, minus a couple star players playing the waiting game.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 8:22 p.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Still believe Caleb has value to become a solid top 4 Dman. See what the future has in store
Aug. 10, 2023 at 8:55 p.m.
and proud of it
GOL DANG IT!!! Alr Toronto, we'll take Timmins now
HockeyScotty liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 9:29 p.m.
Sadness
Wow can’t believe he took league min, figured he’d be offered more, was also really hoping the leafs could sign him
Aug. 10, 2023 at 10:21 p.m.
Hockey/Caps fan
I'm not sure if the Blackhawks even have a plan. No wonder their captain (and superstar Kane) were being outwardly vocal. Still letting decent players go, for nothing. Good signing for the Canes.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 11:25 p.m.
Why Green
League minimum, so why not. Fine depth D-man.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 11:57 p.m.
Canes hockey.
Solid young bottom pairing D at league min, why not. It's looking more like that Skjei/Pesce are gone and it makes me pretty sad but we'll have to wait and see. Jones is an analytical darling and the more competition at training camp and preseason is always good. Solid 7D if he doesn't make the lineup, and welcome to the canes better Jones.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 12:44 a.m.
Fire J.D. too
Really thought he deserved better offers then league minimum but maybe he's banking on better stats on a team like the canes(if he even plays?) And then next year cash in.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 1:36 a.m.
Kansler
Quoting: Svechy37
Solid young bottom pairing D at league min, why not. It's looking more like that Skjei/Pesce are gone and it makes me pretty sad but we'll have to wait and see. Jones is an analytical darling and the more competition at training camp and preseason is always good. Solid 7D if he doesn't make the lineup, and welcome to the canes better Jones.

Why not cash in on either Pesce or Skjej? They wont be able to sign both as UFA either way next season, and got plenty off defensive depth this season.
Ideally they could get an affordable 20 goal forward back, as their scoring could do with a boost.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 1:06 p.m.
More Finns More Wins
Quoting: Anus_McLeod
How many dmen does Carolina need?

43cdyf.jpg?a468240
Anus_McLeod liked this.
Aug. 11, 2023 at 2:44 p.m.
A surprising signing. Low risk for the team – the worst that can happen is they lose him or one of their other depth defensemen on waivers – but I expected him to want to go to a team where he’s more likely to play. If he didn’t get any such offers, that’s surprising too.

Even if he slots in ahead of Chatfield, which is not guaranteed after the season Chatfield just had, that puts him at #7 out of 9 NHL defensemen in the organization. I wonder if Waddell said, “don’t worry, we’re going to trade Skjei and Pesce.” It now seems inevitable that they’ll trade at least one of them for a goal-scoring forward. I’d go for one on an expiring contract so they can get equal value.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 12, 2023 at 12:52 a.m.
Canes hockey.
Quoting: HelmutCool
Why not cash in on either Pesce or Skjej? They wont be able to sign both as UFA either way next season, and got plenty off defensive depth this season.
Ideally they could get an affordable 20 goal forward back, as their scoring could do with a boost.

The thing about trading them is that in an ideal situation you would trade the LD (so Skjei) because of Orlov being a LD, but our biggest problem is goal scoring like you said. Well Skjei just put up 18 goals and yeah he probably doesn't repeat but I'd rather just keep the D core stacked. We have a goal scorer in Svech, Jarvis (if he bounces back), and Tuevo if he bounces back. We'll see by the time the season starts back up though.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 11:14 a.m.
Quoting: Svechy37
The thing about trading them is that in an ideal situation you would trade the LD (so Skjei) because of Orlov being a LD, but our biggest problem is goal scoring like you said. Well Skjei just put up 18 goals and yeah he probably doesn't repeat but I'd rather just keep the D core stacked. We have a goal scorer in Svech, Jarvis (if he bounces back), and Tuevo if he bounces back. We'll see by the time the season starts back up though.

I’d love to see what this stacked defense could do. I’d reunite DeAngelo with Slavin 5 on 5 and play Orlov with Burns, and I’d balance the ice time between the three pairs more than you would when there’s a clear 1st, 2nd and 3rd pair. I’d also try going with two defensemen on the power play instead of four forwards, giving all four of DeAngelo, Burns, Orlov and Skjei some power play time, because those guys can generate scoring chances better than a lot of their forwards. Pesce and Slavin would be the main penalty killers again.

However, I still think they’d be better off trading Pesce or Skjei for a goal-scoring forward. It doesn’t necessarily have to be Skjei, because Pesce and Chatfield both play the right side, but it would depend on what the other team needs. As long as it upgrades their forwards more than playing Chatfield or Jones would downgrade their defense (Chatfield was fine on the third pair last season), it’s worth doing. I agree that their forward lines don’t look too bad now if everybody’s healthy, but I feel a little nervous counting on Brendan Lemieux or one of their prospects, none of whom have been tearing up the AHL, as the next man up.

Another option could be trading Chatfield for a reliable depth forward, but there are probably a few unrestricted free agents still around they could sign for that role instead of trading for one.
Aug. 23, 2023 at 10:31 p.m.
Canes hockey.
Quoting: jr400
I’d love to see what this stacked defense could do. I’d reunite DeAngelo with Slavin 5 on 5 and play Orlov with Burns, and I’d balance the ice time between the three pairs more than you would when there’s a clear 1st, 2nd and 3rd pair. I’d also try going with two defensemen on the power play instead of four forwards, giving all four of DeAngelo, Burns, Orlov and Skjei some power play time, because those guys can generate scoring chances better than a lot of their forwards. Pesce and Slavin would be the main penalty killers again.

However, I still think they’d be better off trading Pesce or Skjei for a goal-scoring forward. It doesn’t necessarily have to be Skjei, because Pesce and Chatfield both play the right side, but it would depend on what the other team needs. As long as it upgrades their forwards more than playing Chatfield or Jones would downgrade their defense (Chatfield was fine on the third pair last season), it’s worth doing. I agree that their forward lines don’t look too bad now if everybody’s healthy, but I feel a little nervous counting on Brendan Lemieux or one of their prospects, none of whom have been tearing up the AHL, as the next man up.

Another option could be trading Chatfield for a reliable depth forward, but there are probably a few unrestricted free agents still around they could sign for that role instead of trading for one.

I think you gotta keep Burns and Slavin together, I think TDA will play like ghost with orlov on the bottom pairing. I wish Chatfield will play over TDA but that won't happen. And I can see where 4 Dmen are used on the powerplay unit. Also I think Ponomarev, Rees, and Gunler are solid next-man up prospects. Would love to see Pono/Rees crack the roster opening day though, Gunler still needs to work on his goal scoring, guy could be a 30 goal scorer if he wants at the nhl level.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit