SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

Dec. 23, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: ricochetii
I don't have any expectations, but you can't ignore that they are only a handful of points out and the East is a tight race with other teams struggling significantly.
Detroit and Florida went 1-4 in their last 5 and Montreal is one regulation win out of a direct tie with Tampa for the division race.
For wild card, Washington and NYI are relatively weak and the other teams in the picture are struggling with consistency.
They may be least likely to get a playoff spot, but they are definitely in the running.

I don't want false hope of contending changing their approach to the season. They should still be sellers and that should take them out of the picture.
If they sell off expected assets and still remain in the hunt after the deadline, that's fine.
Realistically other teams figure it out and pull away from the pack as they don't need much to course correct, where Montreal needs a few things in order to get over the bubble hump.

Fair enough, I will say I was surprised to find out they were only 3 points out of a playoff spot. But still, they’re a huge longshot with how many other better teams are in the mix. Though honestly, even though I detest the habs, it would be pretty cool to see them make the playoffs, a Montreal Boston series would be a lot of fun to watch.
ricochetii and palhal liked this.
Dec. 23, 2023 at 7:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Something seemed to have happened never seen a bench call over med personnel that quick

CBJ vs. TOR

Hope Kuraly is good
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:08 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: aadoyle
Something seemed to have happened never seen a bench call over med personnel that quick

CBJ vs. TOR

Hope Kuraly is good

+ The medical staff reacted about as fast as a drunk driver when they see a tree
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Thats kind of dumb dumb why not just put 18 more seconds in the second rather than just 18 seconds to finish the first okay swap now and keep going

Just seems confusing for no reason lul
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:13 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: aadoyle
Thats dumb why not just put 18 more seconds in the second rather than just 18 seconds one side okay swap

Not like anything was going to happen in those final 18 seconds
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
Not like anything was going to happen in those final 18 seconds

To me just causes confusion. Would just start the second but just have an extra 18 seconds. As its okay swap sides mid way lul
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:16 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
LA Chargers in NFL are going w/ an "Easton Stick" (NHL forum-reference rule applicability) @ QB...!
The Apocalypse is Nigh LOL
Help
palhal and edeangel84 liked this.
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:22 p.m.
Amirov Forever
I can't wait until the Blue Jackets are finally a good team. They are going to be so much fun to watch, their pool of youngsters is unbelievable and their arena is always lively. Such an easy team to root for
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:27 p.m.
Amirov Forever
The Leafs have been on the receiving end of some very fortunate calls tonight. Kind of weird being on this side of things, Columbus fans are right to be angry here
Dec. 23, 2023 at 8:27 p.m.
WentWughes
Can't wait until we get to watch McJesus, BeJesus, and Sid the Kid play on a line together at the Olympicw
Dec. 23, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Kuzmenko gonna get a hatty vs. SJS and Tochett's response gonna be a healthy scratch
Dec. 23, 2023 at 11:55 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Saskleaf
Fair enough, I will say I was surprised to find out they were only 3 points out of a playoff spot. But still, they’re a huge longshot with how many other better teams are in the mix. Though honestly, even though I detest the habs, it would be pretty cool to see them make the playoffs, a Montreal Boston series would be a lot of fun to watch.

Just to add, despite so many CF Leaf fans thinking the Leafs are Newfoundland Growlers, the Leafs are 3rd in East.
Saskleaf and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:02 a.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
I can't wait until the Blue Jackets are finally a good team. They are going to be so much fun to watch, their pool of youngsters is unbelievable and their arena is always lively. Such an easy team to root for

(Minus the cannon)
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 12:04 a.m.
The league needs more Zegras and Bedard. In regular season…and especially in playoffs.

Me = Team Skill it up.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 7:16 a.m.
Edited Dec. 24, 2023 at 7:37 a.m.
Rules prediction:

If you wanted last night, you saw the cleanest Michigan ever, and perhaps one of the last:

The quite amazing photograph of Bedard scoring a Michigan provided by the Associated Press:

1. His stick is above the crossbar
2. The goalie is flinching due to a stick swinging right near his face

From a health and safety perspective, this is extremely low hanging fruit and a damning photograph.

I do not think the league will maintain a goal scoring play where the forwards stick is above the crossbar and swung in the location of the goalies head. By design this play will have a limited lifespan, enjoy it while you can.

In fact, what happened last night wasn’t a goal, it was a faceoff in the neutral zone. You cannot follow through with your stick if you haven’t shot yet, and if you aren’t in a follow through motion, contact with the puck at that height is a dead play considering advantage. What happens if a skater fails a Michigan and hits the goalie square in the face? Is that even a penalty right now? I don’t know that it is right now, thus the change prediction. Or what if a defenseman identifies the Michigan try and takes a really tight turn to play the body - gets speared directly in the throat.

I’m firmly on team skill it up, but by design and by this one photo image, I’m predicting this specific play no longer exists by next season. Or that the very least one is challenged here shortly, and if the stick goes over the crossbar, the goal is disallowed, setting the same standard and effectively canceling them. Every coach in the nhl sees this photo with a stick over the crossbar.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 7:42 a.m.
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Rules prediction:

If you wanted last night, you saw the cleanest Michigan ever, and perhaps one of the last:

The quite amazing photograph of Bedard scoring a Michigan provided by the Associated Press:

From a health and safety perspective, this is extremely low hanging fruit and a damning photograph.

I do not think the league will maintain a goal scoring play where the forwards stick is above the crossbar and swung in the location of the goalies head. By design this play will have a limited lifespan, enjoy it while you can.

In fact, what happened last night wasn’t a goal, it was a faceoff in the neutral zone. You cannot follow through with your stick if you haven’t shot yet, and if you aren’t in a follow through motion, contact with the puck at that height is a dead play considering advantage. What happens if a skater fails a Michigan and hits the goalie square in the face? Is that even a penalty right now? I don’t know that it is right now, thus the change prediction. Or what if a defenseman identifies the Michigan try and takes a really tight turn to play the body - gets speared directly in the throat.

I’m firmly on team skill it up, but by design and by this one photo image, I’m predicting this specific play no longer exists by next season. Or that the very least one is challenged here shortly, and if the stick goes over the crossbar, the goal is disallowed, setting the same standard and effectively canceling them. Every coach in the nhl sees this photo with a stick over the crossbar.

If the stick was above the crossbar, the puck doesn’t go in the net. If the puck goes in the net, it must be below the crossbar.
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, NorthernLeafsFan05 and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Can't wait until we get to watch McJesus, BeJesus, and Sid the Kid play on a line together at the Olympicw

Sid the 36 year old kid has a ring to it.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 9:38 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: NHLfan10506
The league needs more Zegras and Bedard. In regular season…and especially in playoffs.

Me = Team Skill it up.

Gimmick goals are not the only way to show skill. Zegras is so into the flashy lacrosse goals that it compromises his overall play. No one is more overrated simply because of his highlights than Zegras.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 9:47 a.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Rules prediction:

The thing that gets me, is that if you can pick up the puck and carry it with your stick, when do we start seeing it from in front of the net?
Cradle the puck up to waist height to fling it in from the side or instead of shooting from the ice to the top of the net, "shoot" from the top into the ice for a bounce, etc.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
The thing that gets me, is that if you can pick up the puck and carry it with your stick, when do we start seeing it from in front of the net?
Cradle the puck up to waist height to fling it in from the side or instead of shooting from the ice to the top of the net, "shoot" from the top into the ice for a bounce, etc.

Would be fun but you’d need a super whippy stick.

Would be kinda cool to have one forward on each team playing with a super whippy stick, one that will bend in puck battles but let them zip shots like magic.
Dec. 24, 2023 at 10:31 a.m.
Bedard23
Update on the Sean Kuraly situation: https://theathletic.com/5159486/2023/12/23/sean-kuraly-injury-blue-jackets/?amp=1
Dec. 24, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The Leafs have been on the receiving end of some very fortunate calls tonight. Kind of weird being on this side of things, Columbus fans are right to be angry here

Which one are you referring to? There were a few plays with Fantilli that come to mind, which reminded me of Bunting last year;
Dec. 24, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Which one are you referring to? There were a few plays with Fantilli that come to mind, which reminded me of Bunting last year;

Referring exclusively to the Fantilli stuff haha. That embellishment call was laughable. Calls evened out in the end, but Columbus was on the receiving end of some stinkers
Dec. 25, 2023 at 8:27 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Referring exclusively to the Fantilli stuff haha. That embellishment call was laughable. Calls evened out in the end, but Columbus was on the receiving end of some stinkers

Yeah... I can see how frustrating it was for them
Dec. 26, 2023 at 12:46 a.m.
WentWughes
Hockey literally all day with the WJC being in Sweden. Hockey will be on from 6am to 2am
NorthernLeafsFan05, Sharkie69, zk97 and 2 others liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll