SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(WSH/TOR) - Edmundson for 2024 3rd (NYI), 2025 5th (CHI)

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 7 at 11:42 a.m.
Win for Boston
Manson liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
That's not a good thing

We used analytics for 5 years under Dubas, where did it take us?
Mar. 7 at 11:43 a.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
I wonder whether Flames fans would rather have kept Treliving or are happy with Conroy
Manson, Leafsfan98 and vmark liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:44 a.m.
No regretzkys
Funny how when its the Leafs, its always a bad trade according to the comments...

Agree with or not, Treliving has a vision of how he wants the defence to look/play.

Seems puzzling, but then it becomes clear in the playoffs. Dude plays a playoff style. Simple as that.
Manson, Saskleaf, Brad_Treliving and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:45 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Ritzy
Because it's worked so well? Maybe there's a world where the old school and the analytics can come together.

If the numbers lined up, I would agree with you, but the Analytics for Edmundson are terrible, almost as bad as Ilya's. Look at any SC Winner and their analytics will be elite.
Manson liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:45 a.m.
McMann Season
I mean a big defensive dman is nice, just wondering how he’ll slot into the lineup?

I think it was a bit much to give up though
Manson liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:46 a.m.
Toronto sure likes to waste roster spots on slow, injury-prone, mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers from Manitoba
Manson liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:47 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
We used analytics for 5 years under Dubas, where did it take us?

5 Playoff appearances
Manson liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:47 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
If the numbers lined up, I would agree with you, but the Analytics for Edmundson are terrible, almost as bad as Ilya's. Look at any SC Winner and their analytics will be elite.

"Look at any SC winner and their analytics will be elite" is such a broad statement. Which aspects are you looking at specifically? Or is everything about previous SC winners perfect.

There's more to the game the JFresh's player cards.
Mar. 7 at 11:50 a.m.
WentWughes
"Look at any SC winner and their analytics will be elite" is such a broad statement. Which aspects are you looking at specifically? Or is everything about previous SC winners perfect.

There's more to the game the JFresh's player cards.

You show me a team that was bad analytically that won the Stanley Cup and I will concur. Jfresh's cards are outdated, there are better models to use btw. Corse %. Fenwick %, really any half decent stat.
Mar. 7 at 11:51 a.m.
Underwhelming for Leafs fans

Treliving chose bottom pairing Ds for their cup run. They do play a heavy-playoff-style game, but still
Mar. 7 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
I mean a big defensive dman is nice, just wondering how he’ll slot into the lineup?

I think it was a bit much to give up though

Think about it this way though:

Engvall + 6th round pick for Edmundson. The third we got for Engvall is going to WSH

Would you still make this trade?
Mar. 7 at 11:53 a.m.
I got to say, I'm not digging the Leafs moves thus far. They didn't really overpay or anything for Eddy or Bush for that matter but man they better have something more pertinent in the works. Eddy/Bush cannot be your solution defensively.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Mar. 7 at 11:53 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: pinslack
Underwhelming for Leafs fans

Treliving chose bottom pairing Ds for their cup run. They do play a heavy-playoff-style game, but still

They're gonna get eaten alive.
Mar. 7 at 11:54 a.m.
McMann Season
Quoting: Brad_Treliving
Think about it this way though:

Engvall + 6th round pick for Edmundson. The third we got for Engvall is going to WSH

Would you still make this trade?

Yeah I mean I’m fine with the deal, I just don’t think this is gonna improve us drastically in the post season
Mar. 7 at 11:55 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Big Ed can play the right side. It would be a good move IF he could stay healthy. That's a big IF.
Mar. 7 at 11:56 a.m.
HOCKEY
Quoting: SevenLeg
JFresh all you want but I loved Edmundson in our Cup Finals run a few years back. Obviously not the same player anymore but I think he’ll manage to be useful for TOR.

Those player cards have actually ruined hockey twitter. Everyone who uses them acts like such a know-it-all
Mar. 7 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: CameronSquires
Yeah I mean I’m fine with the deal, I just don’t think this is gonna improve us drastically in the post season

It may not be ground breaking but are you more comfortable to play Edmundson in the playoffs or Timmins?
Mar. 7 at 11:57 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Leafs cross checks/60min is going up, but likely penalties as well. Cause that's just the way it goes.

Not in the playoffs though.............

BRAAAAAAAAD, MAKE AN ACTUAL MOVE
Mar. 7 at 11:58 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: LondonNight911
Those player cards have actually ruined hockey twitter. Everyone who uses them acts like such a know-it-all

They aren't perfect, and since he started doing them over a 3 year timeframe, they are pretty much un-usable, but they're a basic tool to look at to determine how the player looks if you don't watch him play live, I am not one of those people. I watch A LOT of hockey (and that is an understatement). Edmundson is someone who stands out every night, and not in a positive way.
Mar. 7 at 11:59 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
You show me a team that was bad analytically that won the Stanley Cup and I will concur. Jfresh's cards are outdated, there are better models to use btw. Corse %. Fenwick %, really any half decent stat.

Ah, you make a point and I'm supposed to provide the proof. Good one.
LeafsForLife and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 7 at 12:00 p.m.
Because it's worked so well? Maybe there's a world where the old school and the analytics can come together.

The truth is every club uses analytics. They just use completely different stats that are proprietary to the clubs or whoever they contract out to do their stats. They also don't simply look at the analytics to evaluate players.
It's hysterical how the internet-analytics crowd thinks all this works because some guy made a card with no context.

More on topic, Edmundson is a warrior. Great add for a playoff club. Obviously he isn't going to eat 23 minutes a night anymore, but if you're the coach late in a tie-game in the playoffs do you want to send Edmundson out for that faceoff in your zone or Lilly? Easy choice, imo.
More raw talent means precisely zero in the postseason. You're going to get worn down in these series and use a lot of defensemen. Ideally you'd like to wear the other team down, too. That's why these type of defensemen always get "too much" at the deadline.
LondonNight911, drambui, Ritzy and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 7 at 12:01 p.m.
Fair deal but I don't see how Edmundson and Lyubushkin are the answer to the Leafs' problems
WentWughes
Ah, you make a point and I'm supposed to provide the proof. Good one.

Because you doubted that proof without any real proof. Make an argument with facts and I will take what you say seriously.
5 Playoff appearances

How many series did the analytic crowd win?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit