SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Name the three primary objectives for your team's off-season... go!

Apr. 13 at 1:09 p.m.
mokumboi
Of course, you could also do other teams, but the main gist here is to learn about what other teams are trying to do. Might make some of the trade ideas a bit more sensible around here. Just a thought.

I'll go first. St. Louis Blues.

1 - Find a real head coach. Bannister just repeats all of Chief's mistakes with lineups, lines and pairings, but worse. Takes forever to come off a bad idea we've seen not work ad nauseum, but then he's shuffling lines while we're up 2-0 in the 1st at Edmonton. Maybe he'll be a good coach some day, but ain't nobody got time for that. Real coach. ASAP.

2 - Get Parayko a proper partner. It doesn't need to be an all star. Dude just needs to skate well, defend in transition soundly, clear the slot cleanly and move the puck simply/safely. Let Parayko hunt the puck and break out in transition. Pairing him with a puck mover is obviously not the way. He IS the puck mover. Stop chaining him to the slot.

3 - Offload Krug as painlessly as possible if an opportunity actually presents itself again. No more than 2.5M retention, and that much only if something of use is coming back.

Yeah, a 2C placeholder is important, and of course Im on the 1st round trade up warpath, but these are the big three. We could handle that 2C later if need be.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 13 at 2:56 p.m.
Montreal

1. Figure out the logjams. We have a lot of bottom 6 forwards, a lot of up and coming defenceman, KH will have to decide who stays, who goes and who plays in the minors

2. Add a short term top 6 forward

That's kind of it, I guess player growth could be the 3rd, not much else to do in my eyes
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 14 at 1:24 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Montreal

1. Figure out the logjams. We have a lot of bottom 6 forwards, a lot of up and coming defenceman, KH will have to decide who stays, who goes and who plays in the minors

2. Add a short term top 6 forward

That's kind of it, I guess player growth could be the 3rd, not much else to do in my eyes

Montreal is in a good position to let the rebuild play out. They have lots of young talent (almost too much at the same time hitting the NHL).

Probably the most important is figuring out a legitimate NHL 2nd line (Dach? Newhook?) and then aligning their D pairs.
Apr. 14 at 1:36 a.m.
Avs:

1) Solidify "playoff" goaltending. I am 99% certain that the Avs were the team tying to get Ullmark at the deadline. I suspect that included Georgiev going back the other way. Not sure that will happen in the off-season however. Annunen has shown flashes but we cannot rely on him as anything more than a backup (not a tandem or a 1B role); but if he ends up being more then its just gravy. Problem is that he will likely not be waiver exempt next year.

2) Landeskog or Drouin? If Landeskog is healthy then there is no way we can afford to keep Drouin. It really comes down to that, all the other forward slots fall into place after that. If Landeskog is out, Mittelstadt takes a fair RFA deal, and Drouin takes a team friendly deal then we might be able to extend Walker also...

3) Settle 3rd blueline pair. It's very likely we can't retain Sean Walker and that Jack Johnson retires and Caleb Jones doesn't re-up. Sam Malinksi is the odds on favorite on the right side but the left is anyone's spot with Sean Behrens also coming pro soon hopefully.
mokumboi and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 14 at 2:51 a.m.
Canucks

1) Figure out what you’re doing with Hronek/the whole blueline. Are you willing to sign Hronek for what he’s asking for? If not what are you able to get in a trade for him to help the team right now, whether it’s in the initial trade or flipping the assets acquired for him. The blueline as a whole is a huge priority as we only have 2 definite top 6 defenders signed next year (Hughes and Soucy). Juulsen has been solid and is signed for cheap as well, he’ll likely be a bottom pair guy or the #7 dman again. Assuming you sign Hronek you still need one top 4 guy, one bottom pair guy, and one more #6/7 type guy

2) Get another true top 6 winger, whether it’s by trade or free agency. Boeser is obviously locked into a top 6 spot on the wing next year, and Hoglander should get one of those spots with the season he’s had, but after that it’s a bit dicey. Garland is more than capable of playing in the top 6 but he’s also shown he can carry an elite 3rd line this year so I don’t hate keeping him in that role. Mikheyev hopefully bounces back after a tough first year post surgery but it’s no guarantee. Lekkerimaki probably needs another year of development before playing in the NHL

3) Figure out what UFAs you’re keeping. Lindholm, Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov, Myers, Cole, and Desmith are all UFAs, and not all of them will be back. Joshua should be the priority. Lindholm is likely gone. At least one of Blueger/Lafferty probably are as well. I could see any of the dmen staying or leaving. Wouldn’t be surprised if Desmith leaves and either Silovs or a cheaper veteran is the backup next season
Apr. 14 at 10:46 a.m.
Quoting: mv21227
Canucks

1) Figure out what you’re doing with Hronek/the whole blueline. Are you willing to sign Hronek for what he’s asking for? If not what are you able to get in a trade for him to help the team right now, whether it’s in the initial trade or flipping the assets acquired for him. The blueline as a whole is a huge priority as we only have 2 definite top 6 defenders signed next year (Hughes and Soucy). Juulsen has been solid and is signed for cheap as well, he’ll likely be a bottom pair guy or the #7 dman again. Assuming you sign Hronek you still need one top 4 guy, one bottom pair guy, and one more #6/7 type guy

2) Get another true top 6 winger, whether it’s by trade or free agency. Boeser is obviously locked into a top 6 spot on the wing next year, and Hoglander should get one of those spots with the season he’s had, but after that it’s a bit dicey. Garland is more than capable of playing in the top 6 but he’s also shown he can carry an elite 3rd line this year so I don’t hate keeping him in that role. Mikheyev hopefully bounces back after a tough first year post surgery but it’s no guarantee. Lekkerimaki probably needs another year of development before playing in the NHL

3) Figure out what UFAs you’re keeping. Lindholm, Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov, Myers, Cole, and Desmith are all UFAs, and not all of them will be back. Joshua should be the priority. Lindholm is likely gone. At least one of Blueger/Lafferty probably are as well. I could see any of the dmen staying or leaving. Wouldn’t be surprised if Desmith leaves and either Silovs or a cheaper veteran is the backup next season

Wonder if they can trade Lindholm's rights to Boston for blueline help?
Apr. 14 at 12:53 p.m.
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Montreal is in a good position to let the rebuild play out. They have lots of young talent (almost too much at the same time hitting the NHL).

Probably the most important is figuring out a legitimate NHL 2nd line (Dach? Newhook?) and then aligning their D pairs.

I mean that’s basically what I said worded in a different way
Apr. 14 at 12:57 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I mean that’s basically what I said worded in a different way

Yep; just agreeing with your post. As an outsider I can really see things coming together for you guys. If Justin Barron doesn't have a place you are free to send him back!
Apr. 15 at 11:15 a.m.
Tampa.

1) Find a way to get Stamkos signed at a $$ that works.
2) Get some cheap talented forward depth. Look for diamonds.
3) Find a way to move Sheary without using picks they don't have.
Apr. 15 at 1:58 p.m.
Edited Apr. 15 at 3:37 p.m.
Sabres...
1) New coach (Ruff)
2) 2C (Stamkos)
3) Top 4 RHD (Pesce)
Apr. 15 at 2:04 p.m.
Bedard23
Blackhawks:

1. Continue to find talent for Bedard

2. Pray for Celebrini

3. Find an answer in net
mokumboi, Rangsey and OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 17 at 4:38 p.m.
Stl:

1. Decide to step back or step forward.
2. Do that either by adding to the roster or taking from it.
3. Decide who is coaching.
Apr. 18 at 12:04 p.m.
torontos finest
Toronto's off season will be entirely dependent on how the playoffs go.

If they go well (win a round!!!):
1) Acquire a top 2/4 RHD, through either free agency or trade.

2) Acquire a middle six centre, preferably through free agency.

3) Deal with the Marner extension early. Waiting until mid-season to sign Nylander likely cost the Leafs an extra 1-1.5 million in cap space. If he doesn't want to sign in the offseason, offer him out.

If they don't go well:
1) New coach. Ideally no one on the bench right now should be back.

2) Acquire a top 2/4 RHD, through either free agency or trade.

3) Make a major move regarding the top players, which would probably be dealing Marner.
mokumboi liked this.
Apr. 18 at 12:09 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: mondo
Toronto's off season will be entirely dependent on how the playoffs go.

If they go well (win a round!!!):
1) Acquire a top 2/4 RHD, through either free agency or trade.

2) Acquire a middle six centre, preferably through free agency.

3) Deal with the Marner extension early. Waiting until mid-season to sign Nylander likely cost the Leafs an extra 1-1.5 million in cap space. If he doesn't want to sign in the offseason, offer him out.

If they don't go well:
1) New coach. Ideally no one on the bench right now should be back.

2) Acquire a top 2/4 RHD, through either free agency or trade.

3) Make a major move regarding the top players, which would probably be dealing Marner.

It could be really tough to get full value out of him already at 11M and one season from UFA. Which of course sucks.
Apr. 18 at 1:35 p.m.
Lifelong Leafs Fan
In a perfect world, the Leafs would win the Cup and their primary objective would be planning the parade lol
After that, I agree with what mondo said above
Apr. 20 at 4:57 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Canucks:
1. Find a top 6 player(won't resign Lindholm, ideally looking for Reinhart/Guentzel if they take a discount and can come in for under 9 mil, if not, maybe Teuvo Teravainen) and a middle 6 player(thinking Sprong would be perfect)
2. Figure out what to do with Hronek(max I'd pay is 7.25 AAV)
3. Get a 2nd pair RD (Fabbro/Carrier ideally)
Nashville:
1. Trade Fabbro to a team better suited to him, he hasn't been getting the right ice-times and situations and I'd rather free up cap and go after Brady Skjei or Brandon Montour
2. Figure out what to do about Tomasino and Parssinen
3. Resign Stastney to a bridge deal in the 1.5 mil range
4. Call up L'Heureux and Askarov
mokumboi liked this.
Apr. 20 at 5:50 p.m.
re-sign Marchessault, extend Theodore, move out McNabb for cap reasons
mokumboi liked this.
Apr. 20 at 6:31 p.m.
Isles

1. Re-sign Mike Reilly
2. Move JG pageau
3. Trade for a young middle 6 winger with top 6 upside
OldNYIfan liked this.
Apr. 21 at 5:00 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Anaheim:

1. Draft Celebrini or Levshunov
2. Acquire a #1 RhD
3. Work on the weakness at RW. Killorn and Strome are fine short-term, but I would have preferred to have Ryan Leonard drop out of the sky instead of Cutter Gauthier if we're talking about fantasies.
mokumboi liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll