SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #6: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup

May 4 at 11:46 p.m.
WentWughes
Thank god Toronto got all that grit at the TD, they averaged under 2 goals per game this series. Y I K E S
Saskleaf liked this.
May 4 at 11:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Thank god Toronto got all that grit at the TD, they averaged under 2 goals per game this series. Y I K E S

Its been an issue since game 5 of the TBL series last year and it makes no sense for them

As they go from cant be stopped to how you score again?

And man Boucher better look over his shoulder as his PP sucks

If they just make 1 change I want him FIRED
KSIxSKULLS and Saskleaf liked this.
May 4 at 11:50 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle
Its been an issue since game 5 of the TBL series last year and it makes no sense for them

As they go from cant be stopped to how you score again?

And man Boucher better look over his shoulder as his PP sucks

If they just make 1 change I want him FIRED

Something has to change for sure, MLSE has refused to make any significant changes, so I'd definitely be worried.
May 4 at 11:50 p.m.
torontos finest
very cool series.

the entire coaching staff should be overhauled this summer. special teams down the stretch and in the playoffs were atrocious. you cannot tell me that 1/21 on the powerplay during a seven game series is acceptable for a team with matthews and nylander as shooters. there's a lot of "what ifs" from this year but those all go away if toronto can eek out like 2 or 3 goals on a man advantage and prevent 2 or 3 when they're down.

woll is the starter next year but they will need a veteran backup. bit worried he might be injury prone. not sure if samsonov is back.

bring back domi as well. maybe lyubushkin too if he accepts between 1-2 million.

marner was not good, again. it should be a topic of discussion to trade him. matthews and nylander were both less than 100% this entire series and he couldn't step up.
pinslack, Rolfadinho, Leafsfan98 and 1 other person liked this.
May 4 at 11:52 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Something has to change for sure, MLSE has refused to make any significant changes, so I'd definitely be worried.

it's awesome how this organization is bankrolled by both telecommunication monopolies in this country yet they still try to nickel and dime everything on the executive level.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
May 4 at 11:54 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
very cool series.

the entire coaching staff should be overhauled this summer. special teams down the stretch and in the playoffs were atrocious. you cannot tell me that 1/21 on the powerplay during a seven game series is acceptable for a team with matthews and nylander as shooters. there's a lot of "what ifs" from this year but those all go away if toronto can eek out like 2 or 3 goals on a man advantage and prevent 2 or 3 when they're down.

woll is the starter next year but they will need a veteran backup. bit worried he might be injury prone. not sure if samsonov is back.

bring back domi as well. maybe lyubushkin too if he accepts between 1-2 million.

marner was not good, again. it should be a topic of discussion to trade him. matthews and nylander were both less than 100% this entire series and he couldn't step up.

I think they go a bit cheaper for goaltending like a Stolarz or Brossoit

But then again with the injury problems I could see them go invest in someone to who can be the GUY for them and play 40-50 games

One of the big 4 has to go 0 questions asked. Enough this team needs balance

Of all the coaches I am willing to keep Chynowyeth. Till this year his numbers with TOR were good. The main issue I saw was who TOR was using PK wise for most of the time and ironically losing Kerfoot had a bigger impact there than we realized. But everyone else especially Boucher can **** off
May 4 at 11:55 p.m.
WentWughes
The Maple Leafs have scored more than two goals in just five of their 18 playoff games the past two years and just one of the past 14 playoff games. Woof.

BUT THEY NEED MORE GRIT!
Saskleaf, edeangel84, Rolfadinho and 2 others liked this.
May 4 at 11:56 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Kypreos paraphrase - "Yeah TML Core-4 has to change for 2024-25..."
HabsFan61 liked this.
May 4 at 11:57 p.m.
Saskoiler for now
I’m going to lose it if Mitch Marner is a member of this team by next season. Year after year we have to put up with him turning invisible in the playoffs every year. It’s such a joke. Nobody is taking John Tavares but if you can find anyone to take on that useless hunk of junk trade him. And frankly I want us to start looking at Matthews trades. 69 goals in the regular season and only 1 in 5 playoff games. I don’t care what he was dealing with, it’s been the same crap year after year.
May 5 at 12:19 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: Saskleaf
I’m going to lose it if Mitch Marner is a member of this team by next season. Year after year we have to put up with him turning invisible in the playoffs every year. It’s such a joke. Nobody is taking John Tavares but if you can find anyone to take on that useless hunk of junk trade him. And frankly I want us to start looking at Matthews trades. 69 goals in the regular season and only 1 in 5 playoff games. I don’t care what he was dealing with, it’s been the same crap year after year.

It's not that this team would be better without Marner, it's that this team would be better if we didn't adopt that braindead "core 4" philosophy. When has a hockey team ever won off of the back of 4 players? If that's how it worked, Thornton and Marleau and Pavelski would have Cups.

Marner is the only member of the core 4 that can even be entertained in trade discussions. Nylander is locked up and a clutch player. Matthews is the franchise. Tavares is a dinosaur making 11mil. Marner is a good player who is a pending UFA with a full NMC. The fact that is our only tradeable asset out of the 4 shows how dire our situation is.

I know thay some fans fear that the Leafs will be too scared of getting fleeced and will just wind up committing to Marner long term. That wouldnt be the worst thing, but it makes next year rough. Marner is my favourite Leaf, but if he gets re-signed then next season is going to be tough to navigate. Not impossible to navigate, but so many domino's have to fall into place. If they don't move him, then it's a wash next year. Gotta wait until JT expires to even have a shred of hope for competing. Need to draft a 2C in the first round this year.

I dont think the Leafs need to trade Marner, but its definitely an avenue worth exploring if the value presents itself. Making a move for the sake of making a move when the oldest member of the core 4 is only one season away from expiring would set us so far back. I really doubt we see anything happen on that front.
Saskleaf and yikes liked this.
May 5 at 12:42 a.m.
HabsFanSinceThe60s
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
It's not that this team would be better without Marner, it's that this team would be better if we didn't adopt that braindead "core 4" philosophy. When has a hockey team ever won off of the back of 4 players? If that's how it worked, Thornton and Marleau and Pavelski would have Cups.

Marner is the only member of the core 4 that can even be entertained in trade discussions. Nylander is locked up and a clutch player. Matthews is the franchise. Tavares is a dinosaur making 11mil. Marner is a good player who is a pending UFA with a full NMC. The fact that is our only tradeable asset out of the 4 shows how dire our situation is.

I know thay some fans fear that the Leafs will be too scared of getting fleeced and will just wind up committing to Marner long term. That wouldnt be the worst thing, but it makes next year rough. Marner is my favourite Leaf, but if he gets re-signed then next season is going to be tough to navigate. Not impossible to navigate, but so many domino's have to fall into place. If they don't move him, then it's a wash next year. Gotta wait until JT expires to even have a shred of hope for competing. Need to draft a 2C in the first round this year.

I dont think the Leafs need to trade Marner, but its definitely an avenue worth exploring if the value presents itself. Making a move for the sake of making a move when the oldest member of the core 4 is only one season away from expiring would set us so far back. I really doubt we see anything happen on that front.

All championship teams have a core. The problem is 3 of your 4 have proven time after time they are not postseason performers. We can only speculate the reasons but no team is going to achieve anything if the stars aren’t stars come the playoffs.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 1:05 a.m.
Saskoiler for now
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Most of this is spot on, except for the part about not needing to trade Marner. They absolutely do need to trade him ASAP. He’s always been crap when it matters most and is not going to ever be a core piece on a cup winning team
Brian2016 and yikes liked this.
May 5 at 1:37 a.m.
Marner needs to be dealt. They will never be a contender with him making 13% of the cap, or potentially more on his next contract. He should have played his last game in TOR.
May 5 at 1:41 a.m.
Most of this is spot on, except for the part about not needing to trade Marner. They absolutely do need to trade him ASAP. He’s always been crap when it matters most and is not going to ever be a core piece on a cup winning team

It's somewhat reassuring to see a consensus building around trading MM
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 1:41 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Brian2016
Marner needs to be dealt. They will never be a contender with him making 13% of the cap, or potentially more on his next contract. He should have played his last game in TOR.

In general get he's the whipping boy this year but we cant give the others except Willy a pass

Matthews was not good

JT was not good

Rielly was not good

Im not excusing him but at the same time all the others get equal blame

Matthews scored 69 goals this year and while he missed 2 and wasnt 100% game 1, 3 and 4 non factor

Maybe with a new HC boyz will finally wake up this time of year
Saskleaf liked this.
May 5 at 1:47 a.m.
In general get he's the whipping boy this year but we cant give the others except Willy a pass

Matthews was not good

JT was not good

Rielly was not good

Matthews scored 69 goals this year and while he missed 2 and wasnt 100% game 1, 3 and 4 non factor

Matthews and Willie are long term pieces. JT is gone after next season and they couldn't trade him even. if they wanted to.
May 5 at 2:06 a.m.
Master of Bloodsport
It's somewhat reassuring to see a consensus building around trading MM

Doesn't he have a full NMC?
May 5 at 2:54 a.m.
Quoting: Otto_Kirov
Doesn't he have a full NMC?

yes, good point. but if they make it clear that he won't be re-signed then maybe he'll waive
May 5 at 4:02 a.m.
Master of Bloodsport
yes, good point. but if they make it clear that he won't be re-signed then maybe he'll waive

I mean sure, but he can just as easily say "cool, I'll just walk to free agency" in that situation. And he'd headline the free agency class of 25-26 for RWs along with Rantanen. With the projected cap rising there'd be no shortage of teams bidding for him and he can pick and choose his destination.

And even if he's open to a trade he has complete control over where he goes. I'm sure teams would be in on him, but seeing as the leafs have zero leverage in this you risk getting a bad deal.

I think what I'm getting at is Toronto made it's bed with these NMCs they put in these deals. The time to trade him was last offseason before his No-Trade kicked in and Leafs brass balked. Could Marner move this summer? Sure. Will he? I wouldn't bet on it personally.
May 5 at 6:07 a.m.
Even if they didn't get that strange bounce, Pastrnak was 1st to the puck and he would have gone around the net & fed a wide open Geekie. That was probably the play they drew up.

What more can you say about that series. It went almost exactly as predicted, except the animosity and open ice died down as it went along. Boston barely beat a them despite their injuries, and the physical defensemen Treliving added helped them out quite a bit.
yikes liked this.
May 5 at 9:18 a.m.
Jimmy Stu
Bring them all back, they tried hard
Rangsey liked this.
May 5 at 10:11 a.m.
Quoting: MGK
Even if they didn't get that strange bounce, Pastrnak was 1st to the puck and he would have gone around the net & fed a wide open Geekie. That was probably the play they drew up.

What more can you say about that series. It went almost exactly as predicted, except the animosity and open ice died down as it went along. Boston barely beat a them despite their injuries, and the physical defensemen Treliving added helped them out quite a bit.

And it was executed to perfection.
May 5 at 10:30 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs

I think most people are giving Matthews a pass because it's obvious he was dealing with something from G3-

And when Bissonnette's going on Mcafee (think of the audience watching the games) and saying he was told it's most likely either a concussion (what we are giving Willy a pass for)+food poisoning or an MCL sprain (a very serious injury, arguably take more out of you to play through than a concussion) + food poisoning... He deserves a pass

Especially bc you don't see team doctors taking Willy out of games over health concerns

Matthews was not good

JT was not good

Rielly was not good

Matthews was sub 80% G3, G4 and G7... He also gets a pas just like Willy...

MM needed to step it up and he didn't or couldn't or something...
Saskleaf and Brian2016 liked this.
May 5 at 10:33 a.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: Leafsfan98
I think most people are giving Matthews a pass because it's obvious he was dealing with something from G3-

And when Bissonnette's going on Mcafee (think of the audience watching the games) and saying he was told it's most likely either a concussion (what we are giving Willy a pass for)+food poisoning or an MCL sprain (a very serious injury, arguably take more out of you to play through than a concussion) + food poisoning... He deserves a pass

Especially bc you don't see team doctors taking Willy out of games over health concerns

Matthews was sub 80% G3, G4 and G7... He also gets a pas just like Willy...

MM needed to step it up and he didn't or couldn't or something...

why doesn't Tavares even get a mention anywhere? he's the captain but it seems like media never mentions him and jump to the other 3 guys instantly.

the captain is supposed to be taking the pressure off of his teammates, yet he never does it seems.

anyways if Leafs trade Marner, they have to be getting something that's really gonna help them otherwise it will set them back.
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 5 at 10:35 a.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: BigBallsBriere
why doesn't Tavares even get a mention anywhere?

Because nobody expects him to produce tbh...

We all know he's overpaid... But he's also the captain and has an NMC, leaving the island to play for his childhood team... He's not waiving and nor does anyone expect him to
Brian2016 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll