Forums/Armchair-GM

Why is Aho not a comparable

Created by: leafsFan1996
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 29, 2019
Published: Aug. 29, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Aho is in the same tier as Rantanen, Point and Marner.

Aho is the best forward on his team which is not true for the other players listed and he is a center which adds more value than rantenan or Marner.

Sure it was an offersheet but he still had to accept the money. I don't understand why this is not a precedent for the other high end RFA's. especially with no other viable offersheet threats which lowers the leverage the rfa's currently have.

it bugs me when people (especially on here) try to galaxy brain why Marner should make 2-3 million more than his direct comparables.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$8,450,000
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$80,372,199$0$0$1,127,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$8,450,000$8,450,000
RW
UFA - 6
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: LoganOllivier
The tax issue isn't as big of an advantage as people think. It also is completely nullified by TO's ability to use bonus money instead of salary with star players. In fact, it can be argued that the bonus money TO can pay is a bigger advantage than tax free states. You get more upfront and can invest it quicker and gain more of interest and smart investing.

Not to mention endorsement opportunities in Toronto compared to other markets.
PleaseBanMeForMyOwnGood, blowing_the_zone, Trickster and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: leafsFan1996
explain the reasons

1000% there is no reason from this guy. He's just a troll that loves to chirp other fans. There is zero reasoning or logic behind his statements, he just likes seeing people get triggered.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Caniac2000
Marner plays in the canadian market where tax is higher, therefore his ask will be higher. Aho is also a C and was very hot and cold, marner was at least consistent. Aho had the leverage to go play in Finland becuase his father is GM of Karpat. Aho isn't a direct comparable to Marner because they are worlds apart in their respective scenarios

TO's ability to use bonus money up front nullifies any tax disadvantage they have, also being one of the craziest hockey markets in the league, the endorsement possibilities are a lot higher as well. They are very comparable and it can be argued who's better. The media and fan angst has been one of the biggest contributors of his skyrocketing price. I think their scenarios are somewhat similar but Aho doesn't play for a top market so his global appeal is lower than Marner. Regardless of all that, Ferris is a joke and is going to lose.
leafsFan1996, Trickster and oneX liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:39 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Barbs
Also their supporting cast. No disrespect to the forwards of Carolina but if Aho played on a line with Tavares and got PP time with Matthews and friends he'd put up the same or greater numbers

Tavares cracks 50 with Aho.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Tavares cracks 50 with Aho.

lol
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:43 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: CBJ4CUP
lol

What?
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:43 a.m.
Quoting: TheresAlwaysNextYear
Using that logic, Rantanen should only take 6 million

Mack didnt sign his contract last year, Matthews and Tavares did. Marner is as good as both of them and is smart to ask for the same amount as they got
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
1000% there is no reason from this guy. He's just a troll that loves to chirp other fans. There is zero reasoning or logic behind his statements, he just likes seeing people get triggered.

Pot, meet kettle.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:47 a.m.
Quoting: shmoeman
His comparables are Tavares and Matthews, if you pay your two stars 11 mill, the third is going to want (and deserve) somewhere around 11 mill as well

two 40+ goal scoring centers are comparable to a 25g winger
Mack didnt sign his contract last year, Matthews and Tavares did. Marner is as good as both of them and is smart to ask for the same amount as they got

If you do it by percentage, He should be making 7 million
Banned
Quoting: CD282
Pot, meet kettle.

I disagree, I have opinions that I enjoy discussing but I have stats and information to back up my opinions. Sure they can be argued and that is why we have discussions, the other guy though just says, stuff to make people mad, is demeaning to everyone and gets off when people get annoyed with him. People can disagree without both sides being trolls but trolls are trolls because they enjoy making people upset. I don't want anyone to be upset.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:49 a.m.
And the conversation has turned into the I want to watch the Leafs burn mentality. That doesn't make sense, why would a team even entertain that. Tampa pays less than other teams because of no state tax, TO has the same advantage with the ability to pay so much bonus money but it doesn't matter because why? Because TO needs to play by other rules because it makes other fans happy to see them in trouble. What a joke.

Toronto? No no, I think you have this confused. Montreal would be in the same boat as well as well as some other teams, its just that situation is currently on the Leafs so naturally the spotlight seems brighter right now than it would be on any of the other teams that would face the same problem. Tampa and those other teams have an artificial leg up on every team, make no mistake about it. The NHL is letting it happen but its an absolute farce and everyone knows it is but since its benefiting a bunch of sun belt american teams, the ones that need it the most, they're allowing it.

Where is there a rule that if the team signing has less tax, they don't have to pay as much bonus and vice versa? Was this a rule setup in the CBA or something? Seguin plays in Dallas and gets a lot of his money in bonus. Signing bonus is just a tool to negotiate, its not given factor that a team or player have CBA'd.

My comment was directed at why does Toronto automatically get the option? Its a free a market and just because the guys in Tampa are all living it up and willing to take less, its pissing the rest of us off when our players don't. Marner might be getting greedy but he sure has the right to say he gets taxed more in Toronto so whichever comparable you use that doesn't, they'll need compensate for. The bonus money is simply a sticking point like extra vacation time for us simple folk. Its not prerequisite that because that one job you had a couple years ago gave you 5 weeks off that every company has to follow suite but you know what? It certainly will sway you if the do.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:51 a.m.
I disagree, I have opinions that I enjoy discussing but I have stats and information to back up my opinions. Sure they can be argued and that is why we have discussions, the other guy though just says, stuff to make people mad, is demeaning to everyone and gets off when people get annoyed with him. People can disagree without both sides being trolls but trolls are trolls because they enjoy making people upset. I don't want anyone to be upset.

THIS IS HIS THREAD MORON. You coming on here, posting multiple times and calling him a troll is a tad ironic, no?
Pass it to Lucic
Quoting: wojme
Leafs fans will say marner is better than Aho except when it comes time to pay him...

most rational comment on here these days.
Quoting: CD282
I don't buy that lower taxes in Carolina were a consideration when Aho signed Montreal's offer sheet.

Aho signed the offersheet because he wanted to play, Dundon had been very very vocal about matching any potential offersheets. Aho knew it would have been matched, so he signed it to make sure he was playing in September
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:54 a.m.
TO's ability to use bonus money up front nullifies any tax disadvantage they have, also being one of the craziest hockey markets in the league, the endorsement possibilities are a lot higher as well. They are very comparable and it can be argued who's better. The media and fan angst has been one of the biggest contributors of his skyrocketing price. I think their scenarios are somewhat similar but Aho doesn't play for a top market so his global appeal is lower than Marner. Regardless of all that, Ferris is a joke and is going to lose.

Not quite, because the bonuses a player gets offered, if they earn them, also gets taxed. It gets taxed to a higher percentage and raises the cap hit of the player, so that bring it back to the lower tax rate in the US. He may not like playing with all the pressure of what you called "one of the craziest hockey markets", Aho plays in Carolina, a small market, he doesn't have that pressure. Aho doesn't need the endorsments because his dad is Karpat GM, he is used as an Icon for the NHL in Karpat, it's a differtent situation entirely, it's why they are not comparable
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:56 a.m.
Quoting: leafsFan1996
two 40+ goal scoring centers are comparable to a 25g winger

Yea I'd say the Leafs scoring leader over the past two years deserves as much as anyone else on the team
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.
Banned

Does anyone actually believe that beyond Paul Marner? Marner is terrific, don't get me wrong, I think he's an elite player and a star. Personally, I think he's better than Rantanen, but more than a step behind Point. I think Aho is probably right there with Marner or better considering he's a centre. Is he as good as Tavares? No, Tavares is the centre and controls so much more of the play. Is he as good as Matthews? No and it isn't close, Matthews is a generational goal scoring centre who will win multiple rocket richards and will likely lead his team in points every year he is healthy. Marner is really good but he's Draisaitl compared to McDavid, a great player but not really close to the real star on his team.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
Marner plays in a large market where he was racking up endorsements like crazy. The difference in taxes would be about 900k per season (that’s Carolina not Montreal where he actually signed the deal) Aho playing centre with more goals and less points, I think calling it even is generous.

Do I think marner will sign for that... nope. But it doesn’t mean it isn’t fair

Buddy, Marner plays in a big market, maybe he doesn't like the pressure. Aho has stated he loves not having that kind of pressure on him to go out and put up 50-50 for 100 every damn season, he can have fun on the ice. Being a big market doesn't always help. Again as I stated, Aho has endorsments in Finland, his dad is Karpat GM so he is seen as a Finnish Icon out there for the NHL. He also signed the offersheet in Montreal to play in Carolina that's well documented, the player, agent and team have said this. It's 900k more in Carolina than elsewhere.

My point here is they just aren't comparable. Also.... Aho was better after April 10th than Marner wink
Aug. 29, 2019 at 11:58 a.m.
Does anyone actually believe that beyond Paul Marner? Marner is terrific, don't get me wrong, I think he's an elite player and a star. Personally, I think he's better than Rantanen, but more than a step behind Point. I think Aho is probably right there with Marner or better considering he's a centre. Is he as good as Tavares? No, Tavares is the centre and controls so much more of the play. Is he as good as Matthews? No and it isn't close, Matthews is a generational goal scoring centre who will win multiple rocket richards and will likely lead his team in points every year he is healthy. Marner is really good but he's Draisaitl compared to McDavid, a great player but not really close to the real star on his team.

I mean if you're the top scoring player on your team for back to back years you have a pretty good argument for being the best player on your team.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 12:04 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: F50marco
Toronto? No no, I think you have this confused. Montreal would be in the same boat as well as well as some other teams, its just that situation is currently on the Leafs so naturally the spotlight seems brighter right now than it would be on any of the other teams that would face the same problem. Tampa and those other teams have an artificial leg up on every team, make no mistake about it. The NHL is letting it happen but its an absolute farce and everyone knows it is but since its benefiting a bunch of sun belt american teams, the ones that need it the most, they're allowing it.

Where is there a rule that if the team signing has less tax, they don't have to pay as much bonus and vice versa? Was this a rule setup in the CBA or something? Seguin plays in Dallas and gets a lot of his money in bonus. Signing bonus is just a tool to negotiate, its not given factor that a team or player have CBA'd.

My comment was directed at why does Toronto automatically get the option? Its a free a market and just because the guys in Tampa are all living it up and willing to take less, its pissing the rest of us off when our players don't. Marner might be getting greedy but he sure has the right to say he gets taxed more in Toronto so whichever comparable you use that doesn't, they'll need compensate for. The bonus money is simply a sticking point like extra vacation time for us simple folk. Its not prerequisite that because that one job you had a couple years ago gave you 5 weeks off that every company has to follow suite but you know what? It certainly will sway you if the do.

Because they can afford it. Most teams can't afford to pay players tens of millions of dollars up front. They just don't have the budget. Tax free states can give guys more take home money which allows them to have a bit lower of a cap hit. Teams that are small market but have higher taxes are at a disadvantage since they can't afford to pay major bonus money. Some of the teams with lower taxes can't afford the signing bonuses so all they can do is use the tax implication.

This has all been widely discussed and there was a story on Sportsnet a while ago where some GM and Owners are getting upset because TO is giving everyone big bonus money. Kapanen and Johnsson get most of their money up front and they are just depth guys. That is a huge advantage, as big as tax free states. Tampa for example is a stable franchise but not by anyones imagination rich, they may be able to give some bonus money to their players but would only justify it for the best of their players. And still those bonus money packages pail in comparison to what TO can do.
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
As some people have already stated, the comparables with the least variables are Marner's team mates in Toronto. This eliminates variables such as different economic situations, team mates, team's style of play, coaching, management philosophy on paying players, etc. Matthews certainly have the edge because he is a center (more responsibility defensively) and puts the puck in the net more. Marner kills penalties (one can argue instead of resting on the bench getting ready to go out and play at full strength you spend energy and lose ice time having to play short handed). Marner is more durable. Matthews signed when cap was a little lower Use Matthews as a base line, subtract roughly 1 million off for the pros and cons factors, he should get roughly 10.5 for 5-6 years.
blowing_the_zone and Trickster liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 12:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Caniac2000
Buddy, Marner plays in a big market, maybe he doesn't like the pressure. Aho has stated he loves not having that kind of pressure on him to go out and put up 50-50 for 100 every damn season, he can have fun on the ice. Being a big market doesn't always help. Again as I stated, Aho has endorsments in Finland, his dad is Karpat GM so he is seen as a Finnish Icon out there for the NHL. He also signed the offersheet in Montreal to play in Carolina that's well documented, the player, agent and team have said this. It's 900k more in Carolina than elsewhere.

My point here is they just aren't comparable. Also.... Aho was better after April 10th than Marner wink

So Aho deserves more than Marner?
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 12:06 p.m.
Banned
I mean if you're the top scoring player on your team for back to back years you have a pretty good argument for being the best player on your team.

In the years that Malkin outscored Crosby, was there an argument that Crosby wasn't the best player on his team or the best player in the world?
Trickster liked this.
Aug. 29, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
Because they can afford it. Most teams can't afford to pay players tens of millions of dollars up front. They just don't have the budget. Tax free states can give guys more take home money which allows them to have a bit lower of a cap hit. Teams that are small market but have higher taxes are at a disadvantage since they can't afford to pay major bonus money. Some of the teams with lower taxes can't afford the signing bonuses so all they can do is use the tax implication.

This has all been widely discussed and there was a story on Sportsnet a while ago where some GM and Owners are getting upset because TO is giving everyone big bonus money. Kapanen and Johnsson get most of their money up front and they are just depth guys. That is a huge advantage, as big as tax free states. Tampa for example is a stable franchise but not by anyones imagination rich, they may be able to give some bonus money to their players but would only justify it for the best of their players. And still those bonus money packages pail in comparison to what TO can do.

Teams like Carolina who matched the Aho contract?....... I don't presume to know the finances of the rich and you shouldn't to. I think those teams can't offer it as much as the big teams can but when push comes to shove, they think "signing that cheque is no big deal for me". - Tom Dundon.

Now if the entire team wanted all their money right away, i think that may be a little different but we all know not every player can negotiate to have their money up front either. Its always the bigger name players really and every team only has 1 or two of them anyway.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll