SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

John Chayka

Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:00 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: TheLeafsSeason
The number was too high for him to sign a max contract with a contending team? How come it is not too high for Eichel to sign an 8 year contract with a re-building team?

Eichel signed with a lower cap and did not have anywhere near Matthews 5v5 goal scoring stats. It is what it is. You negotiate as best you can but in the end the power is in the players hand. If he hits rfa he is swimming in offer sheets.

You should go back and check the offer sheets in the agm’s here. They were ridiculous.
ThePostLiker and Random2152 liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:01 p.m.
Quoting: Bf3351
I'm actually very happy to be a Kings fan. I rather be in the Kings situation than then Leafs who are in for a LOT of disappointment in the near future.

They are 23 and combine for over 22M in cap lol...

To be honest, though, the Kings also have 21M on two players who aren't getting younger. Just one 11M player away from the Leafs situation. Just sayin'
GenXHockey, ThePostLiker, Random2152 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:01 p.m.
Complete? You know what it means to have a complete team? Your defense is atrocious. The only way you win is by outscoring the amount of goals scored on you. That doesn't fly in the playoffs as you've already seen. I mean if you're happy with a great regular season/1st round team then so be it lmao

I mean... yeah
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:02 p.m.
Banned
Complete? You know what it means to have a complete team? Your defense is atrocious. The only way you win is by outscoring the amount of goals scored on you. That doesn't fly in the playoffs as you've already seen. I mean if you're happy with a great regular season/1st round team then so be it lmao

He is those type of fans who will still call the Leafs cup contenders while sitting 31st in the league
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
I don't think the Yotes are more than a middle of the pack team, and I don't think he's done a good job of setting them up to be more than that.

I think player development, and asset management under Chayka have not been good enough. They don't do a great job of developing young players, and when they trade them, they go on to be much better players elsewhere.

That's fair, I'm not familiar about that part of the organization to say if that's true or not. So I cannot comment or speculate on that.
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

8 more goals scored against the leafs than the predators ( quoting @palhal here) I mean really the leafs are middle of the pack on defense and have some young guys developing. Sure I would love an upgrade on D but what team wouldn’t?

I think team defence is going to be the focus. It’d funny whenever anyone on here talks about defence they centre 2 players on the ice at a time.
ThePostLiker, oneX and palhal liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:04 p.m.
Banned
Here's an idea, trade Matthew's and add spare parts for Tkachuk, Monahan, and Andersson. Trade Marner for Dumba and Kaprizov also maybe swap Kerfoot with Staal retained.

Hyman Tavares Kaprizov
Tkachuk Monahan Nylander
Mikheyev/Johnsson Staal Kapanen
Clifford Guathier Spezza

Rielly Andersson
Muzzin Dumba
Sandin Holl

Anderson
Campbell

Bam, you got yourself a real contender and possibly one that can repeat.

I always see you bashing Marner & emphasizing what a trash player he is, yet you think he can fetch a high value return like Kaprizov & Dumba? Doesn’t make sense to me.

If the Leafs trade Marner, it will be for much less than that cuz with a flat cap, there won’t be many teams interested in taking on his salary.

My ideal trade would be to send him to Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist, Sam Lafferty (two hard working gritty forwards with skill), Jack Johnson (top pairing RD, just a bit older) & Chad Ruhwedel (depth D). I suggest posting a thread of the trade I suggested.
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:05 p.m.
He would at least not be afraid enough to trade one of the big four when it comes down to building a strong defensive system. His Coyotes are third for goals against. We already have the offence built by Dubas. All we need is the defence built by him.

Chayka also made some weird acquisitions, though (Stepan, Kessel, ...). He's been hit-and-miss. I agree on the point that defence is an ongoing issue, though.
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:06 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
Eichel signed with a lower cap and did not have anywhere near Matthews 5v5 goal scoring stats. It is what it is. You negotiate as best you can but in the end the power is in the players hand. If he hits rfa he is swimming in offer sheets.

You should go back and check the offer sheets in the agm’s here. They were ridiculous.

The only thing Matthew's can do better than Eichel is goal scoring so chill dude. If I had to pick on of the two to build my franchise around. It would be Eichel. He's more team oriented and a more complete player. Not going to break my bank.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: leaflet
To be honest, though, the Kings also have 21M on two players who aren't getting younger. Just one 11M player away from the Leafs situation. Just sayin'

That player is actually doing just fine, Doughty isn't as bad as people say, just watch him. Kopitar would have had over 70 points year if it didnt end. We also aren't cap crunched because of them and wont be for a long time. Research my team and their cap.
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:10 p.m.
Sounds like Dubas and the Leafs overall.

The Leafs are a very good drafting and developing team? Like there's a lot to be critical about the Leafs, but they're very good at finding NHL players in the late rounds, as well as in undrafted free agents.
ThePostLiker, Random2152 and oneX liked this.
Banned
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I mean... yeah

You're pretty dumb too, aren't ya?wink
ThePostLiker liked this.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
Basically replacing a guy who bases 90% of his hockey opinions on analytics with another who's rumored to do that? Lol

Chayka doesnt really base anything off analytics
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:11 p.m.
You're pretty dumb too, aren't ya?wink

Because?
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:12 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Was he fired?
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Jamiepo
8 more goals scored against the leafs than the predators ( quoting @palhal here) I mean really the leafs are middle of the pack on defense and have some young guys developing. Sure I would love an upgrade on D but what team wouldn’t?

I think team defence is going to be the focus. It’d funny whenever anyone on here talks about defence they centre 2 players on the ice at a time.

How you gonna fix defense?
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:13 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: AndrewLadd
Was he fired?

Yes
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:13 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Yes

I haven’t seen that anywhere, source?
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:14 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite
I always see you bashing Marner & emphasizing what a trash player he is, yet you think he can fetch a high value return like Kaprizov & Dumba? Doesn’t make sense to me.

If the Leafs trade Marner, it will be for much less than that cuz with a flat cap, there won’t be many teams interested in taking on his salary.

My ideal trade would be to send him to Pittsburgh for Patric Hornqvist, Sam Lafferty (two hard working gritty forwards with skill), Jack Johnson (top pairing RD, just a bit older) & Chad Ruhwedel (depth D). I suggest posting a thread of the trade I suggested.

I never said he was a bad player lol. He's obviously a great player, but he's overpaid and the Leafs can win without him.
ThePostLiker liked this.
Banned

He's breaking your lemons
ThePostLiker liked this.
Banned

Myself saying "Yes"
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:15 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: Jack_
Chayka doesnt really base anything off analytics

He was widely known when hired to be one of the only analytical driven GMS in the league...
ThePostLiker liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:17 p.m.
Brace for the Storm
Quoting: MitchMarnerElite

That's awful value, also how if JJ a top pairing guy, he's a 6th d-man at best...
ThePostLiker and ZiggyPalffy liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:21 p.m.
Kings v5 GM
Quoting: KakkoForMauriceRichardAward
He was widely known when hired to be one of the only analytical driven GMS in the league...

Yeah absolutely, I think he was even the creator of some sort of stats company but most of his moves have been anti analytics. Trading away young guys who dont make much for guys who are declining and generally overpaid. Bad ufa signings and not targeting "analytics darling" of sorts. Most of his moves have been very risky with not a whole lot of upside
Random2152 and oneX liked this.
Jul. 24, 2020 at 9:25 p.m.
Banned
I like my posts liked @ThePostLiker

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll