Forums/Armchair-GM

Eichel Trade

Created by: Vike1623
Team: 2020-21 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 15, 2021
Published: Mar. 15, 2021
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I would love to hear what you guys think. Let me know what changes you guys would make

The Wild get a Number 1 Center and makes room for either Menell and or Addison to play regular minutes in the NHL next year

The Sabres get some good players for a rebuild:

Greenway is 24 year old Power Forward who is on pace to score 41 points this season and has a very reasonable contract $2.1 Million dollar cap hit through the 2021-2022 Season

Dumba is 26 year old right shot defensemen who is an excellent puck mover and has a booming shot from the point.

Rask is thrown in to make the cap hit for both teams more even since the Wild have limited cap space this season

Rossi is a top prospect plus they get a 1st and a 2nd Round pick this year which will help replenish the prospect pool since they traded away their 3rd and 5th rounds picks.
Trades
BUF
  1. Dumba, Matt
  2. Greenway, Jordan
  3. Rask, Victor
  4. Rossi, Marco
  5. 2021 1st round pick (PIT)
  6. 2021 2nd round pick (MIN)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$81,689,424$0$925,000-$189,424
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$925,000$925K)
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,487,500$1,487,500
C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 5
$1,900,000$1,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,100,000$4,100,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$7,575,000$7,575,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$3,666,667$3,666,667
G
UFA - 3
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
G
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$3,450,000$3,450,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
Taxi Squad
$700,000$700,000 ($0$0$0$0)
C
UFA - 1
LD/RD
UFA - 1
G
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Mar. 15, 2021 at 5:39 a.m.
GO LEAFS GO
That's a pretty easy no from Buff
Jdfitz77 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 5:58 a.m.
Banned
This is an absolute heck no from Minnesota. Eichel needs to come back and prove himself

Never before in professional sports is a team trading superstar gets this kind of pieces

Wild say absolutely not . You aren't getting greenway, dumba, marco rossi, & two 1st round piece for eichel, sorry nope. Minnesota walks away

Eichel isn't worth that. Untom Eichel can prove he can lead a fraction like buffalo, no plus he's essentially shut down for year due to injury
markmws liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 6:04 a.m.
rask has negative value and dumba is too old for a team doing a full rebuild (not to mention the sabres have 4 NHL RD already) so buffalo won't have interest in either of those guys lol. greenway, rossi, and a 1st is probably a decent start but i feel like buffalo would want boldy as well. if they get boldy and rossi maybe they let you include rask for the cap. if boldy isn't in there then it would be like khovanov, beckman, or addison and you're on your own for the cap
Jdfitz77 liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 6:07 a.m.
Mark
Quoting: BrodinCheerD
This is an absolute heck no from Minnesota. Eichel needs to come back and prove himself

Never before in professional sports is a team trading superstar gets this kind of pieces

Wild say absolutely not . You aren't getting greenway, dumba, marco rossi, & two 1st round piece for eichel, sorry nope. Minnesota walks away

Eichel isn't worth that. Untom Eichel can prove he can lead a fraction like buffalo, no plus he's essentially shut down for year due to injury

I read an interesting article on The Hockey News website about a possible Eichel trade: essentially, the market is going to dictate what the Sabres would receive. While many Sabres fans would love to receive a Byfield, a Zegres, a Lafreniere, the likelyhood of the Ducks, Kings and Rangers being willing to deal any of those three is extremely slim. The Sabres are, unfortunately, in an extremely difficult position. I do not have a horse in this race, but I honestly think that, if Eichel does request a trade (honestly, he hasn't yet and there is no telling if he is even interested in being traded), he may not fetch as much as everyone seems to think he will.

I am by no means saying that he is not worth it. But everyone also has not taken into account a salary cap system that has been severely affected by Covid: with a flat cap, this deal will likely also have to involve the Sabres taking on money. A deal for a bunch of high level prospects or other $10 million dollar players is extremely unlikely: there is just no way teams that have $10 million dollar players either a.) want to trade them, or b.) are being pressured by those very players to leave the team.

To suggest that this is a bad deal for the Sabres, or that they could get more, is essentially being ignorant to the many other variables at play when determininga trade. The Wild, who are actually a really good team this year, are essentially hedging their bets that adding Eichel while subtracting Dumba, Greenway, Rossi, and Rask will make them better (plus Pittsburgh's 1st, which I think would be mid-round or even lottery). I do not think they get that for him. That's just my opinion.

It's not a fun position for the Sabres or their fans to be in, and I empathize with that. It hasn't been fun there in a while and I know that's awful. Better days are ahead: just by the laws of probability, they have to be.
OutCold13 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 6:22 a.m.
Quoting: markmws
I read an interesting article on The Hockey News website about a possible Eichel trade: essentially, the market is going to dictate what the Sabres would receive. While many Sabres fans would love to receive a Byfield, a Zegres, a Lafreniere, the likelyhood of the Ducks, Kings and Rangers being willing to deal any of those three is extremely slim. The Sabres are, unfortunately, in an extremely difficult position. I do not have a horse in this race, but I honestly think that, if Eichel does request a trade (honestly, he hasn't yet and there is no telling if he is even interested in being traded), he may not fetch as much as everyone seems to think he will.

I am by no means saying that he is not worth it. But everyone also has not taken into account a salary cap system that has been severely affected by Covid: with a flat cap, this deal will likely also have to involve the Sabres taking on money. A deal for a bunch of high level prospects or other $10 million dollar players is extremely unlikely: there is just no way teams that have $10 million dollar players either a.) want to trade them, or b.) are being pressured by those very players to leave the team.

To suggest that this is a bad deal for the Sabres, or that they could get more, is essentially being ignorant to the many other variables at play when determininga trade. The Wild, who are actually a really good team this year, are essentially hedging their bets that adding Eichel while subtracting Dumba, Greenway, Rossi, and Rask will make them better (plus Pittsburgh's 1st, which I think would be mid-round or even lottery). I do not think they get that for him. That's just my opinion.

It's not a fun position for the Sabres or their fans to be in, and I empathize with that. It hasn't been fun there in a while and I know that's awful. Better days are ahead: just by the laws of probability, they have to be.

The Cap won’t be an issue at all bc the Sabres can take $$$ back

If they’re trading Eichel, then it’s likely to be a full rebuild
That means plenty of space will be opened up by also trading:
Hall, Reinhart, Risto, Staal, etc etc

As long as we’re taking $$$ back,
there will be plenty of teams interested & bidding

Also,
Eichel is under contract for 5 more years
So we wouldn’t have to move him if we don’t want, regardless if he requests it
sabres89 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 7:34 a.m.
Pop Pop
So minny has the pieces to get eichel if they want to. Its a good offer and notvsure they get an offer with a prospect as good as Rossi at the top of it from anyone else.
OutCold13 liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 7:39 a.m.
I think that’s way too much for eichel. Outside of being drafted right behind the best player on the planet im not sure what he’s done to justify a return like this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 8:05 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Jdfitz77

Also,

Unless he pulls a Dubois and just stops giving any f*cks for his current team. Pretty unlikely though.

Personally speaking, I think BUF should consider that offer. Not like they're getting much better offers in the current market. Wild could add a little bit, but imo it's quite fair start.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 8:44 a.m.
NYI
Doesn’t Eichel have a lower cervical spine injury? He needs to come back and prove he can still play before he gets traded.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 8:47 a.m.
Buffalo decline.

- don't need Dumba if we trade Eichel for futures
- They didn't draft Rossi and the guy has complications from COVID, too risky
- Greenway is a decent player, but doesn't move the needle
- 2021 1st likely to be closer to late than top 10
- Rask cap dump
Mar. 15, 2021 at 9:04 a.m.
Patient gm
That’s a hard no from minn. unfortunately eichel trade value is not nearly as high as everyone would like to believe, particularly buffalo fans who want McDavid and a 1st for him.

If eichel is healthy a good offer would be along the lines of rossi, beckman, a 1st and cap balancing.

If the eichel does includes dumba it would probably be more like rossi dumba cap balancing and a 2nd.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 9:27 a.m.

Also,

Thank you, saved me the trouble. Also, i have seen numerous media people suggesting the return eichel would get in trade. At this point, especially if you throw out the new york media, its pretty safe to say that nobody knows what the return would be, because the returns are all over the place. Some of these 'experts' forget important things- just like you mentioned, we can take back salary, preferably short term, especially if it allows more teams to enter the bidding.
Jdfitz77 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 10:54 a.m.
Hockey Fan13
It's pretty clear Eichel won't be moved until he is healthy, also I don't think he is moved until the offseason, more cap space to move around so more bidders, and fewer cap dumps Sabres will have to take back. If he is traded at the deadline then you can expect the Sabres to have raped and pillaged some poor GM.
Lightman13 liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 10:57 a.m.
Quoting: sabres89
Thank you, saved me the trouble. Also, i have seen numerous media people suggesting the return eichel would get in trade. At this point, especially if you throw out the new york media, its pretty safe to say that nobody knows what the return would be, because the returns are all over the place. Some of these 'experts' forget important things- just like you mentioned, we can take back salary, preferably short term, especially if it allows more teams to enter the bidding.

I'd be surprised if the Sabres take back salary, because you're on the hook for that against the cap for the rest of the contract. That will be a long 5 years.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 11:40 a.m.
Quoting: Wildwinswhen
I'd be surprised if the Sabres take back salary, because you're on the hook for that against the cap for the rest of the contract. That will be a long 5 years.

No, no, not retain, take back salary like a short term cap dump. You are correct, i cant see the sabres retaining salary on eichel, but taking a player to make room for eichels would help both parties- you get more room, we get more bidders.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 1:50 p.m.
Quoting: sabres89

Yep
It not like we’re gonna trade Eichel for Monahan & Gaudreau either
If we can’t compete with Eichel, we won’t be able to compete with Vets we could get for him
So it’s gonna be a rebuild (again), and we’d have all kinds of Cap Space
An Eichel trade will be for high end young players/prospects,
and 1st round picks

Eichel is really good, and young, and signed for 5 more years
Guys of his caliber & age don’t become available often
And at least half the league will be interested
Mar. 15, 2021 at 1:54 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Unless he pulls a Dubois and just stops giving any f*cks for his current team. Pretty unlikely though.

Personally speaking, I think BUF should consider that offer. Not like they're getting much better offers in the current market. Wild could add a little bit, but imo it's quite fair start.

It’s not a bad offer
Just think it’ll get beat by another team who really wants Eichel
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
Yep
It not like we’re gonna trade Eichel for Monahan & Gaudreau either
If we can’t compete with Eichel, we won’t be able to compete with Vets we could get for him
So it’s gonna be a rebuild (again), and we’d have all kinds of Cap Space
An Eichel trade will be for high end young players/prospects,
and 1st round picks

Eichel is really good, and young, and signed for 5 more years
Guys of his caliber & age don’t become available often
And at least half the league will be interested

So then you should want prospects and cap dumps. But that's not what I'm seeing Buffalo fans support here. Instead it's all top end talent requests. It seems like several people aren't in a rebuild mode in Buffalo.
sabres89 liked this.
Mar. 15, 2021 at 5:44 p.m.
So then you should want prospects and cap dumps. But that's not what I'm seeing Buffalo fans support here. Instead it's all top end talent requests. It seems like several people aren't in a rebuild mode in Buffalo.

I think there are tiers. High end prospects/elc age players>first round picks>players over 25... its obviously gonna depend on the value our front office assigns to the prospects/picks/players, but it seems reasonable with our timeline to want high end prospects more than straight firsts (everybody wants firsts, but the fact is a top 5 first might play immediately, and the late firsts could be several years away, if at all). Players over 25- its like jdfitz said, if we couldnt win with eichel, why would this other guy make any kind of difference. We could be limited by whats being offered, if somebody is really only offering their 5th,6th, and 7th best prospects, maybe you do take a good look at an offer with older players, and see what works best. I do wish minnesota fans well, not having a franchise center really seems to put a glass ceiling on your potential, and you are kind of on the sabres path before we tanked. Hitting on a guy in the teens to be your franchise center is damn near impossible.
Jdfitz77 and Wildwinswhen liked this.
Mar. 16, 2021 at 12:32 a.m.

That’s just not true at all
90% of trades Sabres fans are posting here is stuff like:
Lafreniere +++
Byfield +++
Turcotte & Vilardi +
Etc, etc, etc

The ones u see that have us getting back guys like Gaudreau, etc are actually fans of OTHER teams
Start clicking on their names & you’ll see that
Mar. 16, 2021 at 8:43 a.m.
That’s just not true at all
90% of trades Sabres fans are posting here is stuff like:
Lafreniere +++
Byfield +++
Turcotte & Vilardi +
Etc, etc, etc

The ones u see that have us getting back guys like Gaudreau, etc are actually fans of OTHER teams
Start clicking on their names & you’ll see that

Each of those guys (and I'd add KK97 from the Wild) are superstar players in their 19-20s or rookie seasons. You're not getting a young version of Eichel in addition to draft picks and other prospects. Anyone who wants Eichel wants him to play with those guys not trade them to get him. That defeats the purpose for the other team.

Also, if you're honestly in a rebuild, then you want the cap dumps and second tier prospects of the other team so you can tank while you're waiting for them to be ready.

I don't know. It will be very, very interesting to see what Eichel draws if he's traded.
Mar. 16, 2021 at 10:19 p.m.
Each of those guys (and I'd add KK97 from the Wild) are superstar players in their 19-20s or rookie seasons. You're not getting a young version of Eichel in addition to draft picks and other prospects. Anyone who wants Eichel wants him to play with those guys not trade them to get him. That defeats the purpose for the other team.

Also, if you're honestly in a rebuild, then you want the cap dumps and second tier prospects of the other team so you can tank while you're waiting for them to be ready.

I don't know. It will be very, very interesting to see what Eichel draws if he's traded.

None of us knows- & i don’t wanna move him,
But i think Eichel will get a hell of a return should we move him
Wildwinswhen liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll