SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Forum For News, Rumors, Reactions and Fun Throughout the 2021 Season! (PART 5)

May 10, 2021 at 1:00 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Ouch, Sabres fans i would reccomend cheering for any other team it will be better

Comrie?Dalpe?

I'd give it to Shaw, Backes or Lindblom
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 1:15 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: yikes

Interesting list. Happy to see Jordo there.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 1:22 p.m.
Canes fan
I know it's because rest for the playoffs, but this is the Canes lineup tonight:

Foegele-Aho-Teravainen
Niederreiter- Trocheck-Necas
Martinook-Lorentz-Fast
McCormick-Shore-Geekie

Gardiner-Keane
Skjei-Hakanpaa
Ryan-Bean

Mrazek
Reimer

Injuries or Scratches: Svechnikov, Staal, McGinn, Paquette, Hamilton, Slavin, Pesce, McKeown, Nedeljkovic

My head is spinning.
BuFfaLOFaN and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 1:28 p.m.
torontos finest

Lindblom should win. Overcoming cancer is usually a lock.
Zinger, BuFfaLOFaN, LeafsFanForSomeReason and 9 others liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 1:29 p.m.
Quoting: mondo

I was just gonna say lol. Like did we really need nominees? Everyone and their mother knows it's going to Lindblom.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 1:42 p.m.
Per Friedman, Ryan Lindgren has signed a 3x3 extension
yikes, Zinger, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 1:57 p.m.
Canes fan

Good deal. I think Lindgren deserves it. We'll see if there is anymore signings soon now that some teams are done playing.
A_Habs_fan and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 2:09 p.m.

No Dubnyk? With his problems with his wife last year and everything? I thought he could knock off Lindblom never mind not get nominated
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 2:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo

its gonna come down to either Lindblom or Campbell

Campbell literally was not expected to be the starter over Freddie, yet despite getting injured TWICE, he came back got 2 shutouts, broke 2 Leafs records and 1 NHL record, is the nicest guy alive rn in the NHL and has just been such a treat to watch. All in place of Freddie who is now most likely gonna be the backup come playoff time. Good passing on the torch year for both guys

But lets be real Campbell will go oh if anyone deserves it's Lindblom then the NHL will go hmmmm
May 10, 2021 at 2:27 p.m.
Go leafs go
Edited May 10, 2021 at 2:36 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

Campbell literally was not expected to be the starter over Freddie, yet despite getting injured TWICE, he came back got 2 shutouts, broke 2 Leafs records and 1 NHL record, is the nicest guy alive and has just been such a treat to watch. All in place of Freddie who is now most likely gonna be the backup come playoff time.

But lets be real Campbell will go oh if anyone deserves it's Lindblom then the NHL will go hmmmm

As a leafs fan...
Needs to be Lindbolm no question.
Campbell might be a finalist, but probably not even that.
May 10, 2021 at 2:33 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan

Campbell literally was not expected to be the starter over Freddie, yet despite getting injured TWICE, he came back got 2 shutouts, broke 2 Leafs records and 1 NHL record, is the nicest guy alive rn in the NHL and has just been such a treat to watch. All in place of Freddie who is now most likely gonna be the backup come playoff time. Good passing on the torch year for both guys

You’ve got to be kidding me. Wow, a backup goalie played well and became the starter. That’s so crazy.

Even if you only look at goalies Mike Smith would be a better option. He did the same thing as Campbell, but at age 38.
Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan, yikes and 1 other person liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 2:37 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
As a leafs fan...
Needs to be Lindbolm no question.

But knowing the nhl, they will probably give it to Campbell after he says Lindbolm deserves it.

its hard, as yeah beating Cancer is huge but I have a feeling the NHL like they did last year will give it to someone else. As last year they thought beating Alcohol addiction was better than beating Cancer.
May 10, 2021 at 2:42 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited May 10, 2021 at 2:54 p.m.
Quoting: Kotkaniemi15
You’ve got to be kidding me. Wow, a backup goalie played well and became the starter. That’s so crazy.

Even if you only look at goalies Mike Smith would be a better option. He did the same thing as Campbell, but at age 38.

remember though

mike smith was a starter throughout his NHL Career up to that point

Jack Campbell has never been an NHL starter in his career and this was his first time taking on that role

if you had bothered to go through and understand what Jack Campbell went through in getting to the NHL you would know why him taking over as the starter role was special. Drafted in 2013, struggled, gets traded for nothing, goes to AHL, rediscovers his confidence, gets called up does well on a bad kings team, gets traded to Toronto does well as the backup, Freddie struggles than gets injured, takes over starting job, wins 11 in a row, breaks 3 records. All that on top of playing through multiple leg injuries.

In general, Smith already took over the starting job for numerous teams including Tampa, Arizona, Calgary, and Edmonton last year saw him as the starter to. Yeah hes 38 but he has NHL experience to back him and he was expected to come back and do well. As in all his previous years age was not a factor in how well he did.

Just because he took it over this year again does not compare his situation to campbells at all as Smith already had been a starter while Campbell had to adapt and change as he was in the spotlight and not in Freddies shadow
May 10, 2021 at 2:53 p.m.
Go leafs go
its hard, as yeah beating Cancer is huge but I have a feeling the NHL like they did last year will give it to someone else. As last year they thought beating Alcohol addiction was better than beating Cancer.

The thing is, there are plenty of stories of backup goalies who suddenly become starters.
There are very few about beating cancer.
It's possible someone like Marleau, or Campbell will get it, but it absolutely should go to Lindbolm.
Also, last year, Lindbolm hadn't really come back, had he? He hadn't really returned to the nhl, when this year he has.
Campbell is a great story, don't get me wrong, and I'm very happy for him, but still needs to go to Lindbolm.
Zinger liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 2:56 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Saskleaf
The thing is, there are plenty of stories of backup goalies who suddenly become starters.
There are very few about beating cancer.
It's possible someone like Marleau, or Campbell will get it, but it absolutely should go to Lindbolm.
Also, last year, Lindbolm hadn't really come back, had he? He hadn't really returned to the nhl, when this year he has.
Campbell is a great story, don't get me wrong, and I'm very happy for him, but still needs to go to Lindbolm.

true but knowing the NHL they dont really seem to care much for it cause lets be real Lindbolm should have won it last year but they gave it to Ryan as the NHL representatives thought beating Alcohol addiction was better than beating cancer.

Also i dont think he came back on the ice for 2019-2020 season (he was though was traveling with the team at the end of the season and playoffs). Still though the news came out before the end of the season he did beat cancer before the end of the season and everyone expected him to win the award but Ryan got it for getting a hattrick after returning from the addiction program.

Would not be honestly surprised if they give it to Marleau for beating the Howe record as thats how the NHL seems to like to operate these days
May 10, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Not quoting everyone above.

Marleau, Campbell or Smith, Lindblom

With Lindblom probably winning.

Campbell/ Smith deserve a nom

Marleau I could see winning but even I as a Sharks fan don’t think he should win. He’s an “okay” 4th liner with some good games but generally decent -> replacement level/ fitting of a 700k salary.

However, Bobby Ryan is not at all like Campbell/ Smith beating a guy who beat cancer.

Alcoholism is actually a problem compared to being a backup.

It kills, ruins lives, and so on.

Plus with that hat trick game it was awesome (being there was unreal). Not the goals but the atmosphere and emotions , Ryan’s crying, they show a kid with a sign with a nice message who’s crying and Ryan acknowledging the sign and everyone else just pure emotions in the arena.

Lindblom will win it.
Marleau could win it.
Smith/ Campbell shouldn’t win it.

But that doesn’t take away anything. Both those goalies deserve all the credit in the world.
May 10, 2021 at 2:58 p.m.
Canes fan
true but knowing the NHL they will choose someone else

cause lets be real Lindbolm should have won it last year but they gave it to Ryan as they thought beating Alcohol addiction was better than beating cancer.

Like @Saskleaf just said, Lindblom hadn't really come back yet, so they gave it to the second best option.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
true but knowing the NHL they dont really seem to care much for it cause lets be real Lindbolm should have won it last year but they gave it to Ryan as the NHL representatives thought beating Alcohol addiction was better than beating cancer.

Also i dont think he came back but the news came out before the end of the season he was cancer free and everyone expected him to win the award but Ryan got it for getting a hattrick after returning from Rehab

Yes but Ryan wasnt just out for fun or at some nice retirement home. Like I think you’re also downplaying alcoholism. It wasn’t like some dude who just gave up drinking he actually went through **** and overcame a huge internal life problem with him and his family.

Like it wasnt “just a guy who beat an addiction” lol. Like it was a very deserving nomination and eventual win.
Saskleaf liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 2:59 p.m.
The crazy value of what people think Eichel is worth and the range of it is crazy lol
Zinger and MitchMarner_16 liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 3:01 p.m.
Canes fan
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
The crazy value of what people think Eichel is worth and the range of it is crazy lol

It's really hard to pinpoint the value for a star player like Eichel, so I just ignore it all and wait until a trade actually happens with him.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 3:13 p.m.
Rutta 4ever

I don't think Stamkos is getting enough recognition here.

Surgery leading up to the playoffs last year.
Setback that leads to him missing all but 2:43 of the playoffs during a SCF game.
Scores a goal in that 2:43 and tears another muscle in the process.
His wife lost their unborn child during the bubble last year.
Another surgery in the off-season.

I don't think he's a lock, but he's had quite the year to overcome.
Zinger and yikes liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 3:22 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: CoopsTroops
I don't think Stamkos is getting enough recognition here.

Surgery leading up to the playoffs last year.
Setback that leads to him missing all but 2:43 of the playoffs during a SCF game.
Scores a goal in that 2:43 and tears another muscle in the process.
His wife lost their unborn child during the bubble last year.
Another surgery in the off-season.

I don't think he's a lock, but he's had quite the year to overcome.

True, definitely a better nom than Marleau (if they do select Marleau), as I just think with that broken record he could get picked by the NHL to “show it off” more.
CoopsTroops and A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 3:48 p.m.
Brace for the Storm

Lindblom easily
A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 3:50 p.m.
Brace for the Storm

Great deal. One of the most underrated defenders in the league
Zinger and A_Habs_fan liked this.
May 10, 2021 at 4:04 p.m.
What in tarnation

If I had to guess, the finalists will be
- Lindblom, beating cancer is huge
- Marleau, beating Howe's games played record is huge
- Dumba, they will commend his work regarding the minorities and such

I suppose the goalies in Fleury, Driedger, Campbell, as well as Stammer could be a good option. But I think they're just a tad behind these guys when it comes to recognition of what they've achieved.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll