SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Discussion Thread #10 - Happy New Year!

Jan. 10, 2022 at 10:55 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: capsfan2121
I got a Martin fer jersey for Christmas and it hasn’t come yet or tickets to a home which haven’t come yet either. I love it when that guy bails out Carlson. Also the powerplay is a waste of everyone’s time and so is 3 on three,

He’s been a surprise to me, and I had high hopes for him. He has surpassed all those, and I think he could actually be a staple on the top pairing for years to come. His physicality has also been a pleasant surprise.

I also feel you on the jersey end, I got a blue Dowd jersey for my Birthday in early December, but since I had to order from Canada, I won’t be able to get it for at least the next week or two.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 10:57 a.m.
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Let's say each team in the NHL was forced to trade all their current assets, (players/picks). To another team but the management stayed the same, how would you rank each NHL organizations assets. I got it started. Each person quote me, delete my comments above and add to the list

#1 Colorado
#2 Carolina
#3 Florida
#31 Seattle
#32 Arizona

I’d rather have Arizona’s system than Seattle’s tbh. For guys 23 and under: Guenther+Soderstrom+Hayton+Chychrun+Keller+19 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 3 years vs. Beniers+…Geekie?+their picks with the Jets 2023 2nd. No contest imo. And while Seattle does have more useful veteran NHLers (from a trade perspective) they’re also just not gonna trade them all, and are stuck with terrible goaltending for 5 more years (unless Grubauer bounces back), and are locked into way more long term deals (9 players with at least 2 years remaining after this one on their contracts, all with an AAV of at least 3.5mil vs. Arizona only having 3 non-ELC contracts with 2 years after this one [Keller/Chychrun who are young, and Schmaltz who is a center so will likely always be able to be traded]).

And honestly, I think the Habs might be in the least desirable situation. They have Suzuki+Caufield+Romanov+Guhle+Primeau for a young core, which is pretty decent, and I do like a couple of their other prospects (Mysak, Kapanen, Norlinder is okay), but they have so much money committed to so many guys for a long time (after this one, Weber has 4 years left at 7.9mil so they better hope he’s LTIRed, Price has 4 years at 10.5mil, Gallagher has 5 years at 6.5mil, and 8 other players have at least 2 years left with at least 3.4mil AAV, not including Suzuki, plus Byron’s contract is bad and Drouin’s on the books for another year). Plus they have to deal with the Mailloux situation lol
BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan and yikes liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 10:58 a.m.
Jinx god
Gonna play devil's advocate here but. The whole missed call sequence and then a call on Heiskanen had nothing to do with the end of the game. The Stars gave up that goal to ROR no on the PK but even strength, I think the missed call is the broken stick playing the puck, that's the only real call I would be angry about, because the retaliation calls always happen in the NHL, that's normal. About the call after the ROR goal j have no clue what it was I wasn't watching but the sequence above way not 2 much to complain about because the Refs didn't affect the call other than not calling the Kyrou call.

Look if they would’ve called the penalty on Heiskanen it would’ve been a 4 on 4 with the score being 1-0 for the Stars, and since they didn’t call it, it resulted in a 5-4 for the Blues with the game being tied.

That’s a major difference to the outcome of the game.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 11:01 a.m.
Quoting: Alfie11
I’d rather have Arizona’s system than Seattle’s tbh. For guys 23 and under: Guenther+Soderstrom+Hayton+Chychrun+Keller+19 picks in the first 3 rounds over the next 3 years vs. Beniers+…Geekie?+their picks with the Jets 2023 2nd. No contest imo. And while Seattle does have more useful veteran NHLers (from a trade perspective) they’re also just not gonna trade them all, and are stuck with terrible goaltending for 5 more years (unless Grubauer bounces back), and are locked into way more long term deals (9 players with at least 2 years remaining after this one on their contracts, all with an AAV of at least 3.5mil vs. Arizona only having 3 non-ELC contracts with 2 years after this one [Keller/Chychrun who are young, and Schmaltz who is a center so will likely always be able to be traded]).

And honestly, I think the Habs might be in the least desirable situation. They have Suzuki+Caufield+Romanov+Guhle+Primeau for a young core, which is pretty decent, and I do like a couple of their other prospects (Mysak, Kapanen, Norlinder is okay), but they have so much money committed to so many guys for a long time (after this one, Weber has 4 years left at 7.9mil so they better hope he’s LTIRed, Price has 4 years at 10.5mil, Gallagher has 5 years at 6.5mil, and 8 other players have at least 2 years left with at least 3.4mil AAV, not including Suzuki, plus Byron’s contract is bad and Drouin’s on the books for another year). Plus they have to deal with the Mailloux situation lol

I'd actually put the King's, Sabres, and Ottowa in the top 10/15.
Alfie11 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: EsoYeezus69
Look if they would’ve called the penalty on Heiskanen it would’ve been a 4 on 4 with the score being 1-0 for the Stars, and since they didn’t call it, it resulted in a 5-4 for the Blues with the game being tied.

That’s a major difference to the outcome of the game.

I deleted my comment lol, I didn't realize they called the Heiskanen penalty after Ryan scored that goal.
EsoYeezus69 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 11:12 a.m.
I'd actually put the King's, Sabres, and Ottowa in the top 10/15.

I agree. I think mediocre, young teams but with a bright future (like the Sens, Kings, Sabres, Wings, Ducks even though they’re okay this year for some reason) are in a better situation than some teams in the middle that aren’t that great right now and don’t have many prospects (like the Preds, Stars, Flyers, etc.). Also I changed my mind. The Blackhawks have the least desirable situation. They have Dach+DeBrincat and almost no other good young players, no long term goaltending (not a huge Lankinen believer), a bunch of off-ice issues, a bunch of money committed to mediocrity (Seth Jones…), no 1st this year, and they’re not even sort of good right now, they just suck. This looks primed to be a team that will resign its big name stars (Toews and Kane) to too much money when their mega deals are done, and then use the leftovers to try to buy it’s way out of trouble when they get some cap room in a couple years, which never works. Probably gonna be mediocre for the next half decade, especially if they don’t ever commit to a rebuild.
BuFfaLOFaN and MatthewsFan liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 11:22 a.m.
I agree. I think mediocre, young teams but with a bright future (like the Sens, Kings, Sabres, Wings, Ducks even though they’re okay this year for some reason) are in a better situation than some teams in the middle that aren’t that great right now and don’t have many prospects (like the Preds, Stars, Flyers, etc.). Also I changed my mind. The Blackhawks have the least desirable situation. They have Dach+DeBrincat and almost no other good young players, no long term goaltending (not a huge Lankinen believer), a bunch of off-ice issues, a bunch of money committed to mediocrity (Seth Jones…), no 1st this year, and they’re not even sort of good right now, they just suck. This looks primed to be a team that will resign its big name stars (Toews and Kane) to too much money when their mega deals are done, and then use the leftovers to try to buy it’s way out of trouble when they get some cap room in a couple years, which never works. Probably gonna be mediocre for the next half decade, especially if they don’t ever commit to a rebuild.

Yea, but when you think asset value if the Hawks decided to trade their team to a ownership willing to rebuild, imagine the value a 50% repainted Kane, Fluery, and Teows could bring.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 11:29 a.m.
Yea, but when you think asset value if the Hawks decided to trade their team to a ownership willing to rebuild, imagine the value a 50% repainted Kane, Fluery, and Teows could bring.

I mean I guess, but that's not gonna happen. Fleury might get dealt at the TDL (they might even get a 1st from someone like Edmonton), but Toews and Kane are both far more likely to retire as Blackhawks than not.
capsfan2121 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
I mean I guess, but that's not gonna happen. Fleury might get dealt at the TDL (they might even get a 1st from someone like Edmonton), but Toews and Kane are both far more likely to retire as Blackhawks than not.

True, guess I was more thinking if you where to take over a team who would you think was most/least valuable.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 11:38 a.m.
That’s probably coming from Blues fans, some of them are the worst in the league.

Here is what I found:

So basically in short: Heiskanen’s stick gets held down by Schenn which in result should’ve been a penalty, but wasn’t and out of rage Heiskanen slashes someone and gets a penalty, all of this resulted in 2 goals against which made us lose the game.

Refs in St Louis are probably the most bias refs in the entire universe (100% serious), they pretty much handed them the cup in 2019, and obviously are still doing the same bs. That’s why the Blues are probably my least favourite team, they can all go rot in hell for what I care.

Edit: also during the time where Schenn held his stick, Buch tripped him, which should’ve resulted in a 5-3 for the Stars, but instead was a 5-4 for the Blues, refs bought them the game and it’s really obvious.

Double edit: after Heiskanen’s slash on Kyrou, it resulted in the stick breaking and he still played the puck with it (which is illegal), so in the end there should’ve been 3 calls on the Blues, but none were made, and there should’ve been 1 call on the Stars and for sure it was made.

well then.
EsoYeezus69 and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 12:16 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

I’m not even all that high on Dach, especially as a 3rd overall pick.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 12:22 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

William Nylander leads the league in takeaways at 5v5 with 30.
He also only has 8 giveaways, which gives him one of the best giveaway/takeaway rations in the league. Only 5 players in the league who have more primary points than William Nylander right now: Draisaitl, McDavid, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Gaudreau

Is honestly playing the best hockey of his career. So how is he not on this image 🤦‍♂️
FIhbf0vXsAExB8i?format=jpg&name=medium
Jan. 10, 2022 at 12:33 p.m.
Quoting: MatthewsFan

He also only has 8 giveaways, which gives him one of the best giveaway/takeaway rations in the league. Only 5 players in the league who have more primary points than William Nylander right now: Draisaitl, McDavid, Ovechkin, Stamkos, Gaudreau

Is honestly playing the best hockey of his career. So how is he not on this image 🤦‍♂️

doesn’t wear a letter, not a good leader, can’t hit, must be bad xd
BuFfaLOFaN and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 12:38 p.m.

name value is key here
everyone hated nylander for a long while way back when no one really hated marner or matthews or tavares or campbell or rielly as much
capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 12:42 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Zuki9797
name value is key here
everyone hated nylander for a long while way back when no one really hated marner or matthews or tavares or campbell or rielly as much

I mean Marner has been hated ever since he signed his deal. I realize it's a popularity contest but it shouldn't be, IMO Nylander is right there with Campbell and Matthews as the team's MVP so far this year.
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 12:49 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

THIS IS NOT A DRILL! FUCALE IS STARTING AGAIN!

Im happy to see him get one more start before he likely gets sent back down (unless he’s waiver eligible, then Idfk what DC does)
capsfan2121, zk97, BuFfaLOFaN and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 12:58 p.m.
😂

capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and yikes liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:03 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Db1899
😂

0-o
BuFfaLOFaN, capsfan2121, Db1899 and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:07 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
That’s probably coming from Blues fans, some of them are the worst in the league.

Here is what I found:

So basically in short: Heiskanen’s stick gets held down by Schenn which in result should’ve been a penalty, but wasn’t and out of rage Heiskanen slashes someone and gets a penalty, all of this resulted in 2 goals against which made us lose the game.

Refs in St Louis are probably the most bias refs in the entire universe (100% serious), they pretty much handed them the cup in 2019, and obviously are still doing the same bs. That’s why the Blues are probably my least favourite team, they can all go rot in hell for what I care.

Edit: also during the time where Schenn held his stick, Buch tripped him, which should’ve resulted in a 5-3 for the Stars, but instead was a 5-4 for the Blues, refs bought them the game and it’s really obvious.

Double edit: after Heiskanen’s slash on Kyrou, it resulted in the stick breaking and he still played the puck with it (which is illegal), so in the end there should’ve been 3 calls on the Blues, but none were made, and there should’ve been 1 call on the Stars and for sure it was made.

You’re a bit nitpicking here, Ref can’t exactly see Schenn holding Heiskanen’s stick, does anyone actually know/enforce the playing the puck with a broken stick rule, I feel like this is more venting than actual criticsm of the reffing
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:08 p.m.
SHL NJD GM
😂

He’s a leafs fan, he probably wants Marner gone and thinks Nylander is a bum
capsfan2121, zk97, Db1899 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:10 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
You’re a bit nitpicking here, Ref can’t exactly see Schenn holding Heiskanen’s stick, does anyone actually know/enforce the playing the puck with a broken stick rule, I feel like this is more venting than actual criticsm of the reffing

It was ROR’s only penalty the year he won the byng lol, and yeah it’s a reasonable expectation for an NHL ref to know and enforce all the rules, even the ones a casual hockey fan might not be aware of. And if neither ref can see a blatant penalty (especially one literally two feet away), then they’re in the wrong position.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:15 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
😂

Have you seen this one 🤦‍♂️These articles fuel this Cap Friendly

A_Habs_fan, Db1899, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:17 p.m.

Yeah every teams fanbase comes up with brutal trades. Isles fans still think Bailey has positive value.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:21 p.m.
I make typos

zk97 liked this.
Jan. 10, 2022 at 1:26 p.m.
torontos finest

Toronto doesn't need Klingberg. Fantastic OFD, but they need to bolster their left wing and maybe add a low pairing shutdown D.
MitchMarner_16 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll