SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Prospect Discussion Thread #2

Feb. 24, 2022 at 1:41 p.m.
Quoting: yikes
And the NHL is showing being just an OFD is quite difficult.

Add in small frame/ size and your odds of hitting is even lower.

You have to be an ELITE offensive talent (passing/ play creation and chance generation/ shooting) to excel at OFD. And if you aren’t you have make up in size or other areas/ transition your game to more two way which isn’t easy.

Guys like Brannstrom are currently struggling - not because he’s bad. But because he’s so extremely talented offensively that it would be shocking if he never lands a full time role. He shows it off every now and then how good he could be.
But at the same time… ever year Brannstrom seems to be trending into that direction of flopping.

Smaller forwards have it easier (in a different way, not saying it’s actually “easy” to be a small forward).

if you look at a guy like krug for example. or a tony d. those guys need to be incredibly sheltered in their own end. once playoffs come around those types of players get beat up and abused its frustrating to watch your smaller dmen get ragdolled and then you just want 6 paraykos out there at once.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 3:38 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: hanson493
if you look at a guy like krug for example. or a tony d. those guys need to be incredibly sheltered in their own end. once playoffs come around those types of players get beat up and abused its frustrating to watch your smaller dmen get ragdolled and then you just want 6 paraykos out there at once.

Mhmm, and the some of the former best OFD;

Karlsson Burns

Each very different but elite in their own way, Burns has more size and aggressive shooting style and excelled whereas Karlsson was chance and play generation.

But you see even now still being quite “good/ elite” they clearly fall off in their own end and more and more as they age (this year tho they’ve been very good overall compared to their other down years).

And guys like Makar (the new elite OFD) still need a really good partner to help support their style. OFD require some of the most dedication and “asset commitment” and the ROI isn’t always great. But I still love watching OFD; they’re so exciting.
TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 7:00 p.m.
I make typos
Oilers 2021 4th round pick Jake Chiasson is finally back playing for the Wheat Kings, the guy has been out all season due to a injury he got at the Oilers rookie camp
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:03 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.

We cant trade this kid even if he gets healthy. I want to see him fight through this and one day debut in a Maple Leafs jersey and hear that announcer get the crowd hyped and cheering for him overcoming cancer and making the NHL. Will be another inspirational story in the sports world joining the likes of Boyle, Lindblom, Koivu, Kessel, and others who have gone through cancer treatment and went on to have successful sporting careers.

Hoping for the best and hopeful for a long career. We took a gamble and will never doubt the pick. His attitude and heart are perfect for us and hopefully one day as said above he makes it in the iconic blue and white.
EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf and TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:11 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Joshua Roy was the steal of the 2021 nhl draft. Convince me otherwise.
aadoyle and KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator

Hes up there along with guys like Voit

Still cant believe he was a 5th round pick

So many steals in 2021 thanks to some guys not playing lul
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:14 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Is it normal for a 20 year old in the qmjhl to be just under 2 ppg?
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:16 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: aadoyle
Hes up there along with guys like Voit

Still cant believe he was a 5th round pick

So many steals in 2021 thanks to some guys not playing lul

Roy was picked 3 picks before voit.

I still think Roy is having a better year than voit tho.
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Roy was picked 3 picks before voit.

I still think Roy is having a better year than voit tho.

I think it has a lot to do with their playstyles. Voit is more of a pass first playmaker who can set up scorers really well (kind of like Mitch Marner). Roy is more of a goal scorer, offensive minded guy with the ability to make a smart pass from time to time (Getzlaf like player)
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:29 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
I think it has a lot to do with their playstyles. Voit is more of a pass first playmaker who can set up scorers really well. Roy is more of a goal scorer with the ability to make a smart pass from time to time.

Roy is a great TWF also.
He was outstanding in training camp. In th ehabs scrimmage game, he had 3 points. He really impressed.
aadoyle liked this.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Roy is a great TWF also.
He was outstanding in training camp. In th ehabs scrimmage game, he had 3 points. He really impressed.

Yep, Roy is a pretty solid 2-way forward. And surprisingly despite what some say Voit has also developed a solid TWG. He plays very similar to how marner does in both the defensive zone and on the PK (when he does play from time to time)

Forgot to mention that lul
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:32 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Yeah he can play both ends well. Voit also has that ability as well similar to marner

Forgot to mention that lul

You know, we should get a notification when someone edits their post lol.
For you that's pretty much every post!
aadoyle, A_Habs_fan and MatthewsFan liked this.
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:37 p.m.
I think it has a lot to do with their playstyles. Voit is more of a pass first playmaker who can set up scorers really well (kind of like Mitch Marner). Roy is more of a goal scorer, offensive minded guy with the ability to make a smart pass from time to time (Getzlaf like player)

How is Getzlaf a comparable for a goal scorer? He barely ever shoots and has one of the lowest Goal to Assist ratios of any top line forward in recent memory
Feb. 24, 2022 at 11:39 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
How is Getzlaf a comparable for a goal scorer? He barely ever shoots and has one of the lowest Goal to Assist ratios of any top line forward in recent memory

At the beginning of Getzlaf's career 20+ goal scorer. And in a lot of his seasons never stayed 100% healthy and could have been a consistent 20 goal guy.

He was the biggest name on the list next to Larkin but because Getzlaf is retiring wanted to honour him. Also 2007 cup champ

In general if you hit 20 goals for multiple seasons you technically can be labelled as a goal scorer but to be an elite goal scorer usually its 30+ goals for multiple seasons.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 12:44 a.m.
At the beginning of Getzlaf's career 20+ goal scorer. And in a lot of his seasons never stayed 100% healthy and could have been a consistent 20 goal guy.

He was the biggest name on the list next to Larkin but because Getzlaf is retiring wanted to honour him. Also 2007 cup champ

In general if you hit 20 goals for multiple seasons you technically can be labelled as a goal scorer but to be an elite goal scorer usually its 30+ goals for multiple seasons.

Getzlafs play style is the farthest thing from a goal scorer/shooter. Him and Backstrom are like the prime examples of pass first playmakers

Like multiple 20+ goal seasons is good for the majority of players but for an elite 1C it's on the low end, I just thought it was weird to make that comparison
TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 12:46 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: UpsideDownQue
Getzlafs play style is the farthest thing from a goal scorer/shooter. Him and Backstrom are like the prime examples of pass first playmakers

Like multiple 20+ goal seasons is good for the majority of players but for an elite 1C it's on the low end, I just thought it was weird to make that comparison

I just used what was on the chart as hes labelled a goal scorer and his comparable is early Getzlaf. Every scout has a different opinion
Feb. 25, 2022 at 3:30 a.m.
I make typos

Matvei Petrov has entered the chat

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/527464/matvei-petrov
A_Habs_fan and TZ11 liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 5:34 a.m.
WentWughes
Is it normal for a 20 year old in the qmjhl to be just under 2 ppg?

Yeah in the right circumstances
Feb. 25, 2022 at 6:02 a.m.

There are plenty of players from the 2021 draft who look like steals/busts but it’s still a bit too early to tell. Roy did fall in the draft and he’s looking like he’ll make teams regret it, same for guys like Matvei Petrov, Sasha Pastujov, Stanislav Svozil, Raty, etc
TZ11 and DucharmetheDOMinator liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 7:35 a.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
There are plenty of players from the 2021 draft who look like steals/busts but it’s still a bit too early to tell. Roy did fall in the draft and he’s looking like he’ll make teams regret it, same for guys like Matvei Petrov, Sasha Pastujov, Stanislav Svozil, Raty, etc

Sleeping on Zellweger, the kid is fantastic. But he's probably not as much of a "steal" as others since he went 34th, but he'd easily be a Top 10 pick in 2022 if he were born a few days later.
yikes liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 7:43 a.m.

Up there with Voit, Knies, Pastujov, Petrov, Ufko, Svozil, Martino, Duke (and Zellweger)
Feb. 25, 2022 at 7:49 a.m.
Quoting: TZ11
Sleeping on Zellweger, the kid is fantastic. But he's probably not as much of a "steal" as others since he went 34th, but he'd easily be a Top 10 pick in 2022 if he were born a few days later.

Not really, I loved Zellweger, one of my favourite players from that class, love the kid but wouldn't really call him a "steal"
TZ11 and DucharmetheDOMinator liked this.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 10:54 a.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: A_Habs_fan

I mean Roy is leading the QMJHL points scoring race at 18 and the production is coming from him (not the result of another elite player feeding him points) How many other prospects can you say this about from that list you mentioned? Genuinely curious, not trying to be a ****
Feb. 25, 2022 at 11:00 a.m.
Quoting: yikes
Mhmm, and the some of the former best OFD;

Karlsson Burns

Each very different but elite in their own way, Burns has more size and aggressive shooting style and excelled whereas Karlsson was chance and play generation.

But you see even now still being quite “good/ elite” they clearly fall off in their own end and more and more as they age (this year tho they’ve been very good overall compared to their other down years).

And guys like Makar (the new elite OFD) still need a really good partner to help support their style. OFD require some of the most dedication and “asset commitment” and the ROI isn’t always great. But I still love watching OFD; they’re so exciting.

burns was a winger to start his career so the offensive part was already there he could lay hits had some speed and had a booming shot. but he had to get the defensive aspect of the game as he transitioned. Karlsson's defense was also part of the trap era of hockey so he was kind of sheltered in a way for a long time being the anchor on what is typically an already heavily defensive style of hockey.

using makar as an example is tough, because theres never been anyone like him in the history of the league. hes scoring at a rate the league hasnt seen for dmen. he can actually play and does play defense above average for such a skilled offensive dman.
Feb. 25, 2022 at 11:03 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
I mean Roy is leading the QMJHL points scoring race at 18 and the production is coming from him (not the result of another elite player feeding him points) How many other prospects can you say this about from that list you mentioned? Genuinely curious, not trying to be a ****

Well, none of the others play in the Q so you can't really compare any of them, Svozil's a D, Raty's in Finland and Petrov/Pastujov are in the OHL, which while still a part of the CHL, isn't the quite the same level as the Q
SevenLeg and KSIxSKULLS liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll