SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread #18

Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:23 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: justaBoss
One of my favorite Finnish players in the league was Olli Jokinen, and he played 1231 regular season games...

...but only 6 playoff games.

He was ALWAYS in the wrong place lmao.

Good stories are Zach Bogosian and Ron Hainsey winning the Cup in their first playoffs lol
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:25 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: MatthewsFan
Correct, I would see TBL winning the conference and play WSH, the Leafs either staying in 3rd and play FLD or 1st wild card spot and play CAR.

I’ve seen enough from Freddy in the playoffs to not be concerned. Facing Bobrovsky or Andersen is the lesser of two evils over Vas

Andersen's not a bad playoff goalie, Bob however is, Florida needs to find a good goalie, team is stacked but needs a goalie
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:28 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Correct, I would see TBL winning the conference and play WSH, the Leafs either staying in 3rd and play FLD or 1st wild card spot and play CAR.

I’ve seen enough from Freddy in the playoffs to not be concerned. Facing Bobrovsky or Andersen is the lesser of two evils over Vas

Dang it
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:29 a.m.
What in tarnation
Fun fact to start the thread.

Last non-European 5 goal scorer in one game was Mario Lemieux in 1996. After that only European players have been able to net 5 goals in a game. And they were:

- Sergei Fedorov in 1996
- Marian Gaborik in 2007
- Johan Franzen in 2011
- Patrik Laine in 2018
- Mika Zibanejad in 2020
- Timo Meier in 2022

To add here, last US born player to do it was Mark Pavelich in 1983. So it's almost been 40 years.

I wonder if Matthews could change that.
SevenLeg, capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:31 a.m.
SHL NJD GM
Quoting: justaBoss
Fun fact to start the thread.

Last non-European 5 goal scorer in one game was Mario Lemieux in 1996. After that only European players have been able to net 5 goals in a game. And they were:

- Sergei Fedorov in 1996
- Marian Gaborik in 2007
- Johan Franzen in 2011
- Patrik Laine in 2018
- Mika Zibanejad in 2020
- Timo Meier in 2022

To add here, last US born player to do it was Mark Pavelich in 1983. So it's almost been 40 years.

I wonder if Matthews could change that.

Marner got 4 vs Detroit, i remember Pacioretty got a 4 goal game once for MTL, i think anyone of McDavid, Drai, Matthews, Gaudreau, Huby, etc could do it

Edit: It's very much luck based with a bit of big name boost
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:33 a.m.

is that freddy or the leafs having a garbage d structure when the playoffs start and its a heavier game? look at their defense over the last 2 months. toronto is reeling hard atm.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:34 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Andersen's not a bad playoff goalie, Bob however is, Florida needs to find a good goalie, team is stacked but needs a goalie

Agreed just the lesser of the evils IMO

XPgVm-ESCpUasY6vtagLM0s2sih69hiuCU4cic39lY0.png?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=bb906720e017cd4b14566ca1e01d3854f8937468
capsfan2121 and Saskleaf liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:35 a.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Marner got 4 vs Detroit, i remember Pacioretty got a 4 goal game once for MTL, i think anyone of McDavid, Drai, Matthews, Gaudreau, Huby, etc could do it

Edit: It's very much luck based with a bit of big name boost

4 is still a lot more common than 5.

Last time we've had 6 goals was in 1976 with Darryl Sittler. It's also the only NHL game where a player have scored 10 points in one game.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:38 a.m.
@EsoYeezus69 is celebrating with your teammates banned in your league?
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:43 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: hanson493
is that freddy or the leafs having a garbage d structure when the playoffs start and its a heavier game? look at their defense over the last 2 months. toronto is reeling hard atm.

FNJdvv0UcAEREBm?format=jpg&name=900x900

How about getting a save
capsfan2121 and AndrewLadd liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:46 a.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan

How about getting a save

It's a shame Dubas already said he won't make big moves this TD, as I think Toronto could benefit greatly from acquiring Varlamov. The cap might be a little interesting, but I think they could get it done.
AndrewLadd, MatthewsFan, capsfan2121 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:48 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: NoVaSpartan
It's a shame Dubas already said he won't make big moves this TD, as I think Toronto could benefit greatly from acquiring Varlamov. The cap might be a little interesting, but I think they could get it done.

Don't hate the idea because I do agree it is super risky going into the playoffs with Campbell and Mrzaek right now. I just can't help but think Jack is going to turn it around cause it seems to be all between the ears right now that's holding him back
Mar. 7, 2022 at 11:57 a.m.
cautious optimism
i have a question

do any of you read a specific person's messages on this forum in a specific voice

for example i read mondo's lowercase sh*tposting text (like this post here)

Quoting: mondo
when i'm very mad at the hockey boy for not doing the hockey i also just write whatever words are rattling through my brain

in the voice of one of those bad TTS voices from r/AskReddit videos on youtube (like microsoft sam)
EsoYeezus69, capsfan2121, NoVaSpartan and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 12:52 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Bobcat205
i have a question

do any of you read a specific person's messages on this forum in a specific voice

for example i read mondo's lowercase sh*tposting text (like this post here)

in the voice of one of those bad TTS voices from r/AskReddit videos on youtube (like microsoft sam)

I don't, but you've given me the idea to take certain heated arguments on AGMs and use TTS over their quotes to make the argument more comical (like The Goldman Sachs video if anyone is familiar with that)
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:17 p.m.
SHL NJD GM

Makes a lot more sense if true
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:21 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:27 p.m.

How about getting a save

And fans like you are the reason Campbell will be gone in 2022

Sad day once again in our nation

First Reimer, then Freddie, now Campbell

"mAke A SaVe"

Fans bashed and burned him last year and now look at him. He be making alot of that now in Carolina and soon Jack on his new team if were not careful.

Leafs defense has not been good these past few weeks. In Campbell's past 5 games every goal that got past him was in tight, deflected, or tipped in, and the few others were 1 on 1's with 0 defensive support.

With proper support will = better plays from both of them

The Minnesota and Pittsburgh games were perfect examples of this. Campbell will get hot again. Just needs some proper support in front and he will make more and more saves. Like honestly proper net front coverage in Saturdays game = 4-2 win as that tip in and rebound never happen
capsfan2121 and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:24 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

the guy I forgot that played hockey
Saskleaf and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:30 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
And fans like you are the reason Campbell will be gone in 2022

Sad day once again in our nation

First Reimer, then Freddie, now Campbell

"mAke A SaVe"

Fans bashed and burned him last year and now look at him. He be making alot of that now in Carolina and soon Jack on his new team if were not careful.

Leafs defense has not been good these past few weeks. In Campbell's past 5 games every goal that got past him was in tight, deflected, or tipped in, and the few others were 1 on 1's with 0 defensive support.

With proper support will = better plays from both of them

The Minnesota and Pittsburgh games were perfect examples of this. Campbell will get hot again. Just needs some proper support in front and he will make more and more saves. Like honestly proper net front coverage in Saturdays game = 4-2 win as that tip in and rebound never happen

😂 rough day. I’m not sure that saying ‘make a save’ is that harsh. Teams expecting to win with a sub .900 save percentage are not going to win anything. I hope he does get his grove back. But saying the Leafs goalie struggles is on simply in the defence is not true.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
😂 rough day. I’m not sure that saying ‘make a save’ is that harsh. Teams expecting to win with a sub .900 save percentage are not going to win anything. I hope he does get his grove back. But saying the Leafs goalie struggles is on simply in the defence is not true.

I mean did you watch the Vancouver game. Where was the defense. Goal 1 in tight, Goal 2 off a rebound no tying off the sticks, goal 3 Deflection, Goal 4 tip in, Goal 5 in tight all of those can be avoided with proper tying of sticks and proper net front coverage. But nope Brodie-Holl left Boeser out alone to get an easy rebound off a Campbell save. Goal 4. Brodie properly ties up Pearson's stick, puck never gets under Campbell. Heck Goals 1 and 5 proper net front coverage and the puck never reaches the Campbell.

Keefe has been calling out the defense these past few games. You dont do that unless there is a problem.

In general our team continues allowing in tight, tip in, deflection type shots our goalies stand 0 chance. Like all a team has to do is throw a puck at the net and they know someone will tip or deflect it in. St. Louis and Vancouver both realized that.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:38 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
I mean did you watch the Vancouver game. Where was the defense. Goal 1 in tight, Goal 2 off a rebound no tying off the sticks, goal 3 Deflection, Goal 4 tip in, Goal 5 in tight all of those can be avoided with proper tying of sticks and proper net front coverage. But nope Brodie-Holl left Boeser out alone to get an easy rebound off a Campbell save. Goal 4. Brodie properly ties up Pearson's stick, puck never gets under Campbell.

Keefe even called out the defense these past few games. You dont do that unless there is a problem.

He has been sporting a sub .900 save percentage since December 1st 🤷‍♂️. This is not just about one Vancouver game. How about we meet in here middle cause both can be true; bad goaltending and bad defense.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: capsfan2121

Wings fans must be dancing in the streets with this move, and I wouldn’t blame them if they did. You know you have a problem when you get played off a roster by Olli Juolevi and Marc Staal.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:43 p.m.
He has been sporting a sub .900 save percentage since December 1st 🤷‍♂️. This is not just about one Vancouver game. How about we meet in here middle cause both can be true; bad goaltending and bad defense.

Even if the defense is the main issue.

A goaltender's job is to stop the puck, regardless of what the team is doing in front of him. A great goaltender makes up for those lapses or mistakes. Average goalies don't. If its all on the defense then there wouldn't be goalie in the net in the first place.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:48 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Sklikly
Even if the defense is the main issue.

A goaltender's job is to stop the puck, regardless of what the team is doing in front of him. A great goaltender makes up for those lapses or mistakes. Average goalies don't. If its all on the defense then there wouldn't be goalie in the net in the first place.

Agreed and outside of a couple of games this notion they are giving up a ton on High Danger shots against isn't true.

TOR

I am not saying they are some stout defense unit and should look to add at the deadline but to say it's not on both goalies is just false.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:49 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: capsfan2121

💀💀
EsoYeezus69, Devil, A_Habs_fan and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Mar. 7, 2022 at 2:56 p.m.

Dec 7 was where the drop started

Our 5-4 win but in that game we basically disappeared in the 3rd period letting Columbus score 3 easy goals ruining his good numbers. Stop the game in the second 0.930sv
TBL game turnover and sloppy plays by our defense (Holl) killed us despite outplaying Tampa
Edmonton Campbell allows 1 goal
Ottawa shutout
Edmonton pt.2 allows 2 goals
Colorado we fell asleep and blew a 3-1 lead in the third as Campbell stood on his head but our defense didnt help for ****
VGK Took to many dumb penalties giving Vegas a 5-3 easy goal.
St. Louis Carnival
NYR Once again blew a 3-1 lead as defense fell off a cliff in the 3rd.
Anaheim blew a 3-1 lead as we allowed an own goal through a weird pass, tip in and 3-1 breakaway
NJD he blew the first game (Mrazek bailed him out) but made up for it the second game only allowing 1 goal
Calgary our team was so ass what were we gonna do. Basically got bashed and bullied with the team giving up in the second
Seattle did well
Pittsburgh played his best game allowing only 1 goal
St. Louis 0 help and got murdered by tic-tac-toe plays with 0 defensive coverage
CBJ this game yes Campbell had his issues I will give you that one.
Detroit (gonna blame the stomach bug going around as probs everyone had it). Also lots of tip in/deflection goals
Vancouver started well but defensive coverage non existent and easy goals from tip ins, deflections from Vancouver.

Most of these games we lost were winnable but Keefe mentioned they play 40 mins then leave the goalie the final 20 in a lot of those games. As how many 3-1 leads got blown because the rest of the team decided lets not show up. Like that Colorado game had 4 Save of the Year candidates for Campbell but he never got support in the third allowing for Colorado to get rebounds, tap ins, or keep the pressure up
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll