SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Season Discussion Thread #23: The Aftermath

Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:03 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
My Top3 Winners of the deadline week

- ANA: great trades all around, not a single L for them. They got a great set of futures to build around.
- MTL: they got insane hauls in total for pretty average players. The market truly made favors for them. Very good start for Hughes' reign.
- MIN: solid moves all around - probably the best job done out of all teams actually buying instead of selling.

My Top3 Losers of the deadline week

- OTT: Hamonic trade was the worst of the bunch. Also paid more for Sanford than they got in return. Only decent move was the Paul trade.
- NYI: They did absolutely nothing, only re-signed their vets. They didn't solve any problems, but re-created them.
- EDM: They needed to actually strengthen that team but only made a couple of depth moves of questionable value.

Overall thoughts

- It truly was a sellers market.

Tbh I don’t think this deadline was that bad for Ottawa. Giving up a 3rd for Hammer was a poor move, but we have a ton of picks and he can’t be worse than Zaitsev. Best case scenario he bounces back to being a decent defensive defenseman that logs big PK minutes and plays on the 3rd pair with Brannstrom next year. Bad, but salvageable. Everything else was pretty good. We managed to get a reclamation project + pick upgrade for an ECHL goon, a pick for Sanford (he hasn’t been great, and also if Logan Brown plays 8 of the last 22 games we don’t even give up the 4th to STL, and that could happen, he’s played 4 of the last 5 games and they just dealt Sundqvist to bring in Leddy), and the Paul trade was a pretty solid move for a guy that wanted more money than he’s worth, Joseph will likely be a solid middle six contributor for us. I think the Sens did okay for having minimal assets to give up (and I don’t hate resigning Forsberg either, I think that might mean a Murray buyout is coming though).
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:05 p.m.
retired
Quoting: Zuki9797

interesting

he didn't look great in his two games with the avs. they should let him finish the year in the ahl.
zk97, csick, SevenLeg and 5 others liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:11 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Alfie11
Tbh I don’t think this deadline was that bad for Ottawa. Giving up a 3rd for Hammer was a poor move, but we have a ton of picks and he can’t be worse than Zaitsev. Best case scenario he bounces back to being a decent defensive defenseman that logs big PK minutes and plays on the 3rd pair with Brannstrom next year. Bad, but salvageable. Everything else was pretty good. We managed to get a reclamation project + pick upgrade for an ECHL goon, a pick for Sanford (he hasn’t been great, and also if Logan Brown plays 8 of the last 22 games we don’t even give up the 4th to STL, and that could happen, he’s played 4 of the last 5 games and they just dealt Sundqvist to bring in Leddy), and the Paul trade was a pretty solid move for a guy that wanted more money than he’s worth, Joseph will likely be a solid middle six contributor for us. I think the Sens did okay for having minimal assets to give up (and I don’t hate resigning Forsberg either, I think that might mean a Murray buyout is coming though).

Quite many what ifs there.

I personally weren't a fan. Thought they'd move Brown half retained for a haul - seems like there was a huge market for cheap mid-6ers. Likes of Tierney and Ennis could've also got you low picks.

Imo they lost more than they gained, and that was a rarity for a seller, given that it certainly was a sellers market.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:11 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: DirtyDangle
he didn't look great in his two games with the avs. they should let him finish the year in the ahl.

Hopefully just a trial to get some evaluation and tape at the NHL level before the off season.
SevenLeg liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
The Vegas Glass Knights have around 42M worth of players on IR and LTIR
zk97, Saskleaf, A_Habs_fan and 4 others liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:13 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
FOaN-yDXwAYUU23?format=jpg&name=large

Kinda surprised by this. Per Scott Powers of The Athletic the Hawks didn’t trade Dylan Strome or Dominik Kubalik. They’re not expected to be re-signed either. His exact words were, ‘the sense is they still won’t be re-signed’.
ricochetii, Saskleaf, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:14 p.m.
retired
Quoting: ricochetii
Hopefully just a trial to get some evaluation and tape at the NHL level before the off season.

yea. he looked like in was in over his head. its hard to go from ahl to nhl speed but then to go to the avs who probably have the fastest transition in the league would be difficult. it may be an easier jump in montreal.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: MatthewsFan
FOaN-yDXwAYUU23?format=jpg&name=large

Kinda surprised by this. Per Scott Powers of The Athletic the Hawks didn’t trade Dylan Strome or Dominik Kubalik. They’re not expected to be re-signed either. His exact words were, ‘the sense is they still won’t be re-signed’.

Man thats great lots of non qualified guys for us to sign grin

And apparently some intriguing buyout candidates may also be up for grabs. Gonna be an interesting offseason like last year thats for sure.
Saskleaf and csick liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:21 p.m.

interesting

Wow, why?
DirtyDangle liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:22 p.m.
WentWughes
Allen is stealing this game from Boston
zk97 and DucharmetheDOMinator liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Alfie11

This should be good for OTT young room
zk97, A_Habs_fan, Db1899 and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:23 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Wow, why?

not entirely sure, maybe to see what he can do?
its probably a game or two then he gets sent back down; i expect his elc to slide once or twice tbh

since you know a decent bit about prospects, what do you see barron becoming
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
not entirely sure, maybe to see what he can do?
its probably a game or two then he gets sent back down; i expect his elc to slide once or twice tbh

since you know a decent bit about prospects, what do you see barron becoming

Don’t know much about Barron but he looks like he has 2nd pair upside, my prospect strengths are most of the 2021, 2022 draft classes and Habs+CBJ prospects lol
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Allen is stealing this game from Boston

If only the TDL was tomorrow this game would have made Allen a huge target and he probs would have got a Lehkonen like return with maybe a tad lesser prospect (So 2nd + B level)
zk97 liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:26 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: aadoyle
If only the TDL was tomorrow this game would have made Allen a huge target for certain teams if Montreal was still looking to make moves.

dare i say if EDM added allen to the kulak trade the trade could've been two seconds
aadoyle liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:27 p.m.
KFTW

Yooooooooo
EsoYeezus69, Saskleaf, DucharmetheDOMinator and 2 others liked this.
Hakuna Matata
dare i say if EDM added allen to the kulak trade the trade could've been two seconds

I was thinking Toronto. 2nd + Hirovinen

As the sad thing was Allen's last 2 games weren't great so probs people looked and went mmm nah

If the TDL was tomorrow after this game easily would have got lots of interest.
zk97 liked this.
Quoting: justaBoss
Quite many what ifs there.

I personally weren't a fan. Thought they'd move Brown half retained for a haul - seems like there was a huge market for cheap mid-6ers. Likes of Tierney and Ennis could've also got you low picks.

Imo they lost more than they gained, and that was a rarity for a seller, given that it certainly was a sellers market.

Tierney sucks, I wouldn’t expect more than a conditional 7th for him double retained so it’s not surprising that he’s gonna stay and walk in the summer. Getting anything for Sanford and J. Brown is a W, I didn’t like them in our lineup and they definitely don’t belong in a contender’s lineup given how they’ve performed this year. Overall I think Ottawa doesn’t really want to trade popular veterans. Paul forced their hand by wanting too much, but I think they see C. Brown as part of the solution, potentially beyond next year (although I personally hope not for too much longer or too much money, but still). He’s a very good player that can take tough matchups, which is important on a young, growing team, and especially one as injury riddled as the Sens (Norris and White have missed significant portions of the year, Batherson and Pinto are still out, etc. so they don’t want to be TOO thin, especially on RW). If they coulda got a 1st+good prospect for C. Brown I think they would have, but that probably wasn’t on the table, not many teams that were willing to trade their 1st had it today. Ennis is a weird one, I probably woulda dealt him but I also think he’s liked here and he hasn’t been quite as good as last go around so there might not have been any takers. Picking up a couple assets for bad players is fine, and I’m totally fine with keeping C. Brown, Holden, Forsberg, etc. to try and make a playoff push next year. And as for the what-ifs, it’s not really anything major. I acknowledged the Hammer trade is an L, it would just be nice if he’s useful, and the L. Brown scenario is fairly plausible.
v5 Minnesota GM
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Wow, why?

To see if he's good enough that Habs shouldn't draft nemec?
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:29 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: aadoyle
If only the TDL was tomorrow this game would have made Allen a huge target and he probs would have got a Lehkonen like return with maybe a tad lesser prospect (So 2nd + B level)

Jinx
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:30 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Bruh the Bruins tie it up late. Come on Habs

What is Josh Anderson doing….
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:31 p.m.
Quoting: csick

Yooooooooo

Lmao
csick, EsoYeezus69, justaBoss and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:32 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain

EsoYeezus69, DucharmetheDOMinator, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:39 p.m.
What in tarnation

Lmao
Saskleaf, DucharmetheDOMinator, Devil and 4 others liked this.
Mar. 21, 2022 at 9:40 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Booooooooo Marchand. At least Allen played great. Surely this will increase his trade value

Oh wait…

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll