Forums/Armchair-GM

Dont move Kerfoot or Holl

Created by: Grog
Team: 2022-23 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Feb. 8, 2023
Published: Feb. 9, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Holl has been an important minute muncher and provides defensive depth. Kerfoot is also important for the middle 6 forward group. Both players are essential penalty killers on the Leafs.
I'm not sure why everyone is so desperate to rock the locker room and trade two pieces of the leafs every day group. Leafs can make it work without moving them.
Trades
TOR
  1. Bertuzzi, Tyler ($2,375,000 retained)
DET
  1. 2023 1st round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Gavrikov, Vladislav ($1,400,000 retained)
CBJ
  1. Abruzzese, Nick
  2. Timmins, Conor
  3. 2024 2nd round pick (TOR)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$79,423,746$212,500$0$3,076,254
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$950,000$950,000
LW
UFA - 1
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 2
$10,903,000$10,903,000
RW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$0$0
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 2
$2,100,000$2,100,000
RW, C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$840,630$840,630
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$827,500$827,500
C, LW
RFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,500,000$7,500,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 2
$4,687,500$4,687,500
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$800,000$800,000
LD
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
RD
RFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,625,000$5,625,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
$796,667$796,667
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
I think you'd need to switch the 1st to CBJ and the 2nd to Detroit with a sweetener prospect. Dont think Bertuzzi has the value he did a few months ago
Viqsi, Grog and dannibalcorpse liked this.
Insists on keeping Holl-- then leaves him out of the starting lineup LOL

I agree that Kerfoot and Holl are important PCs though. Placement in the lineup is what people should be questioning, if anything.
mostly harmless
1st or no Gavrikov. Adding wingers make your package less attractive to the Jackets, not more.
Mstrefe1, dopplsan, benjgc and 1 other person liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:51 a.m.
torontos finest
tyler bertuzzi has a worse goals/60 record than joey anderson this season
dopplsan liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:53 a.m.
Quoting: Rage44

I agree that Kerfoot and Holl are important PCs though. Placement in the lineup is what people should be questioning, if anything.

I would probably move Sandin out at the moment. But I like the flexibility and depth with the bottom pairings.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
Quoting: mondo
tyler bertuzzi has a worse goals/60 record than joey anderson this season

This year he has been struggling to find a rhythm with his injuries, but last year he scored 30 in 68 games.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
Quoting: ToneCapone420
I think you'd need to switch the 1st to CBJ and the 2nd to Detroit with a sweetener prospect. Dont think Bertuzzi has the value he did a few months ago

That's fine with me. Same in, same out.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:56 a.m.
I'd like to think the only reason guys like Kerfoot and Holl would be moved is simply for cap space purposes to bring a big name in. There's so many proposals on here that move out kerfoot for someone like Domi and it boggles the mind.

I agree with the poster...both players are useful in our lineup and can't imagine them being moved just to address grit.
Grog, Rage44 and palhal liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 9:59 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: Grog
This year he has been struggling to find a rhythm with his injuries, but last year he scored 30 in 68 games.

damn i hope he finds that rhythm elsewhere because he's not worth a first
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:01 a.m.

I think they can move Holl, if they acquire someone well before the deadline who proves that he can take his role/minutes or they adjust minutes for everyone and it works. Only then could Holl get traded, and if he's on the bench, they might as well. I think the OP just made the trades to demonstrate that they could add people, but definitely hope they won't be trading Timmins.

Kerfoot on the other hand, if there's a defensive C that can kill penalties that is better or brings more to the table like physicality, then he can be traded out with the other coming in.

The biggest challenge will be making additions or getting upgrades for good value. If they are giving up a 1st for a rental, better be in a deal that fills both things that they are looking for, the FWD that could play 2LW and the defensive D with physicality.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
I would probably move Sandin out at the moment. But I like the flexibility and depth with the bottom pairings.

Need to manage for this year and beyond, so moving Sandin wouldn't be too wise. His low cap hit provides flexibility for the coming season, and by then he'll probably be ready to go for playoff hockey if he isn't this year. Resigning Gavrikov at 4.5m-5m+ would be a terrible idea imo.
palhal liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:11 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL
Need to manage for this year and beyond, so moving Sandin wouldn't be too wise. His low cap hit provides flexibility for the coming season, and by then he'll probably be ready to go for playoff hockey if he isn't this year. Resigning Gavrikov at 4.5m-5m+ would be a terrible idea imo.

I meant move Sandin out of the current lineup, not trade. Holl and Sandin are the 6 and 7 D. Dress whoever is playing better lately.
Rage44 and GMBL liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
Quoting: GMBL

Agreed. Sandin is important to NEXT years roster, and potentially beyond. But there's a chance, if the D is upgraded, he's your 7th D. -- I don't think he'll shift to the right (above what we have in house or otherwise), and he doesn't beat out Mo or Gio, or whoever the upgrade would be.
Grog and GMBL liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:33 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Agree with you on your Kerfoot and Holl assessment. Really can't be moved unless there is a viable replacement. Getting a better RHD is way too expensive Kerfoot right now is also needed at centre.
Moving Sandin to the right side makes no sense
Leafs are fine with Reilly/Sandin and Giordano (Benn) on the left side. Does adding Gavrikov and replacing Sandin add THAT much to the Leafs playoff run.
Same with right side. Who gets replaced that makes the that much better? Brodie, Holl, Liljegren (Timmins)

To answer your question: "I'm not sure why everyone is so desperate to rock the locker room and trade two pieces of the leafs every day group." Seems like so many Leaf fans hate their own. They see the mistakes that their own players make because they watch them every game. But they don't see many games that their opponents play, so those players are mistake free.
Grog and Juice liked this.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:44 a.m.
Edited Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:49 a.m.
I meant move Sandin out of the current lineup, not trade. Holl and Sandin are the 6 and 7 D. Dress whoever is playing better lately.

Agreed. Sandin is important to NEXT years roster, and potentially beyond. But there's a chance, if the D is upgraded, he's your 7th D. -- I don't think he'll shift to the right (above what we have in house or otherwise), and he doesn't beat out Mo or Gio, or whoever the upgrade would be.

Misunderstood what was meant by moving Sandin out, but totally agree that he probably should be the 6th/7th guy based on if he can outplay Holl or not.

I wonder if Soucy would be a better option (and how willing SEA would be to move him out and at 50% retention) over Gavrikov if he can actually play the right side. Would give more flexibility since I don't think Sandin should be back on the right side any time soon lol. Soucy would need to be able to replace Holl though. As for forwards, I would rather they add Captain Serious at 2.625m or the Factor from the Blues, both guys would require double retention though. I would trust one of those guys to get a clutch goal instead. Knies could maybe be added to the roster as a free physical presence if only that.

Jack McCabe (50%) + Toews (75%) is slightly too much money for a 22-man roster, but they make the 21-man roster work all the time. I wonder what the cost would be if they ask for McCabe alone (with retention, who knows how much) is a 1st+B-prospect.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 10:46 a.m.
Jaxon34
Quoting: palhal
Agree with you on your Kerfoot and Holl assessment. Really can't be moved unless there is a viable replacement. Getting a better RHD is way too expensive Kerfoot right now is also needed at centre.
Moving Sandin to the right side makes no sense
Leafs are fine with Reilly/Sandin and Giordano (Benn) on the left side. Does adding Gavrikov and replacing Sandin add THAT much to the Leafs playoff run.
Same with right side. Who gets replaced that makes the that much better? Brodie, Holl, Liljegren (Timmins)

To answer your question: "I'm not sure why everyone is so desperate to rock the locker room and trade two pieces of the leafs every day group." Seems like so many Leaf fans hate their own. They see the mistakes that their own players make because they watch them every game. But they don't see many games that their opponents play, so those players are mistake free.

Kerfoot does not play Center ever really.
He's on the wing no matter what line he plays on.
He's a 3.5 Mill very average third liner. That's why he moved in deals so much. They already have tons of PK guys, Marner, Kampf, Aston Reese, Engvall, Jarnkrok, Holmberg.
The Leaf's need a top D and a Top forward if they want to make a run, and if that means mortgaging the future then yes that's what they have to do. 2 Years Matthews and Nylander could go and it's rebuild time anyways. Plus if they don't get past the first round this year Dubas and Keefe are gone too.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:09 a.m.
Quoting: Leafs09
Kerfoot does not play Center ever really.
He's on the wing no matter what line he plays on.
He's a 3.5 Mill very average third liner. That's why he moved in deals so much. They already have tons of PK guys, Marner, Kampf, Aston Reese, Engvall, Jarnkrok, Holmberg.
The Leaf's need a top D and a Top forward if they want to make a run, and if that means mortgaging the future then yes that's what they have to do. 2 Years Matthews and Nylander could go and it's rebuild time anyways. Plus if they don't get past the first round this year Dubas and Keefe are gone too.

Right...so if you move him + picks/prospects for someone who can play higher in the lineup, great. But using him in trades for a different 3rd liner makes no sense. As does moving Holl for a different depth d-man.

If you're not definitively getting a better player back...you don't mix up the lineup for a sideways move...or even a minor improvement...there's always risk in bringing in a new player and integrating him 80% of the way into the season.

If you're going after a big fish like Meier or maybe even an Ekholm...and need to send cap out...yes...sure...it makes sense because those players would slot in above.

I feel like if we didn't have Kerfoot or Holl, most leaf fans on here would be sending a 3rd rounder and a prospect to try and add them as a deadline rentals.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 11:13 a.m.
Marner rocks

Sandin can't play RD, he got beat to the outside continuously. He is also not a 3rd pairing d-man long term or at all. So if the leafs move in a LD with term then Sandin should be part of the trade.
Feb. 9, 2023 at 12:29 p.m.
Jaxon34
Quoting: Juice
Right...so if you move him + picks/prospects for someone who can play higher in the lineup, great. But using him in trades for a different 3rd liner makes no sense. As does moving Holl for a different depth d-man.

If you're not definitively getting a better player back...you don't mix up the lineup for a sideways move...or even a minor improvement...there's always risk in bringing in a new player and integrating him 80% of the way into the season.

If you're going after a big fish like Meier or maybe even an Ekholm...and need to send cap out...yes...sure...it makes sense because those players would slot in above.

I feel like if we didn't have Kerfoot or Holl, most leaf fans on here would be sending a 3rd rounder and a prospect to try and add them as a deadline rentals.

Yes I agree with what you say, there is no point to trade to just trade. As I said they need a top 6-7 forward and a top 4 D and if you have to include him for cap reason to get that then do it. But I do not agree with keeping him because he's needed at center. Holl I Like as a 6-7 D. He's a Great PK guy and don't think they should move him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll