SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(STL/MIN/TOR) - O'Reilly, Acciari for Pillar for Abramov, Gaudette, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Feb. 18, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
Quoting: Leafs_and_Sens_Fan
Leafs paid more for O’Reilly than the Rangers did for Tarasenko.

They did, but I think O’Reilly was worth more than Tarasenko because he’s seen as more of a multi-dimensional player, he’s consistently elevated his game more in the playoffs (which is really what you want most from a rental), and until this season he’s been a lot less injury prone. A player’s trade value is determined by what other teams are willing to give for him. O’Reilly doesn’t have a no-trade clause so there were probably more teams bidding on him.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 6:23 p.m.
Quoting: Hollands_missing_brain
I actually agree with everything you are saying, but as a rival wings fan, I only wish the opposite of everything you said

Bahaha

You make me think of my convos with my dad. I'm in my early 30s and for most of my hockey memory the red wings were either in the west or the Leafs or red wings were not competitive. So I have never felt a big rivalry. He on the other hand certainly does and calls your team the dead things. lol
Feb. 18, 2023 at 7:05 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: Messier99
The league minimum is $775,000 for next season. So I guess you want him to play in the minors the whole year. smile

Fine than $775,000 to 2.5 mill
Feb. 18, 2023 at 7:07 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
Love that you switched to talking about Kaprizov once the evidence of JT was put in front of you. Just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Have a good one!

People on this site are out to lunch if they think any GM is ever going to say something on record regarding a player they didn't end up getting. This is why I ignore most of what gets said on here because people forget so easily that whether a GM lands a player or not, professionalism is a must.
Ritzy and Trickster liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
So, Lou gets Hovat, Dubas gets RoR.

Dubas loses again.

This smells worse than trading a 1st and two 4ths to get Foligno.

Only way for Dubas to win this trade is the Leafs make it to the Final 4 or RoR resigns a Spezza size deals.

I swear if this was an ACGM 99% would believe it was a troll and hate this deal for the Leafs.

But the Dubas followers are loving it.

Worse part, RoR stinks right now. While Hovat is having a career best year.

Yet Dubas sells the farm for a 3rd liner.

This.

How the hell did a washed OReilly at 32 get a better package than prime Horvat at 27
DogDayCaps2 and CSStrowbridge liked this.
Feb. 18, 2023 at 9:00 p.m.
down bad
Quoting: BCAPP
The comparison is ridiculous as O'Reilly is an older player with name recognition and past performances. K cool we agree. But Chiarot isn't.

O'Reilly has a Selke, top 5 Selke voter last 4 years. A conn Smythe. K I get the past accomplishments.

What are Chiarot's past accomplishments? He has none. Chiarot isn't a great defender and he never was. Further he was as good last year as he ever was. Which is a fine #4-5 physical defender. But not a particularly good one. He wasn't past his prime and living off past accomplishments... He just was overrated.

It's a dumb comparison

Chariot was a year removed from helping the Habs go to a cup final? He was known as a physical shutdown Dman. Both were playing terrible when they got traded and got a high amount for past performances. Again I know you aren’t bright but guys like chariot don’t win Norris awards lol. Ror was known for his 200 ft game and he’s been very average this year. Again not a hard concept to understand but you seem to struggle understand. It’s getting embarrassing
Feb. 18, 2023 at 9:57 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The more I think about this trade, the bigger the win I see for the Leafs (St. Louis did well and I am not debating that)
Feb. 19, 2023 at 3:27 a.m.
St.Louis is doing a great re-tool. 3 firsts now for this draft.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 10:25 a.m.
Quoting: DDoverChucky
St.Louis is doing a great re-tool. 3 firsts now for this draft.

They are doing better than the teams focused on actually rebuilding, Removing UFAs and not young pieces for little. cough, chicago, cough
Feb. 19, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
This.

How the hell did a washed OReilly at 32 get a better package than prime Horvat at 27

H didn't. A lottery protected first from a team in worse shape plus a very good prospect is worth more than what was paid here.
A) that ignores that Vancouver also got beauvillier
B) that ignores that acciari also was included for Toronto who has value as well
C) that ignores that there was more retention here
Feb. 19, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
14m in dead cap
Saw this first thing in the morning and the first part I read is the Wild acquiring a 50% retained O'Reilly and thought "wtf did Guerin do" before the entire trade sunk in. Moment of panic there.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
Edited Feb. 19, 2023 at 12:53 p.m.
After a couple days of reflection, I'd like to change my "no" vote to Leafs "win".

I had to break the trade down, rather than seeing it as trading 4 picks, 2 prospects for ROR.

ROR = 1st, 2nd.
%50 retain = 3rd.
%25 retain = 4th.
Accairi = prospect (Abramov).
Pillar = Ahler (Gaudette).

Now if ROR does the same as Gio and resigns for 2 more years ($2 - $5 max) , even if the Leafs lose in the 1st Rd again, Dubas can keep his job.
Saskleaf liked this.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 12:16 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
H didn't. A lottery protected first from a team in worse shape plus a very good prospect is worth more than what was paid here.
A) that ignores that Vancouver also got beauvillier
B) that ignores that acciari also was included for Toronto who has value as well
C) that ignores that there was more retention here

That ignores Beauvilier was a cap dump on the market for over a year at no cost,
That ignores Acciari isnt close to a relevant asset
That ignores that horvat is much much better than Oreilly at this time
Feb. 19, 2023 at 2:35 p.m.
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
That ignores Beauvilier was a cap dump on the market for over a year at no cost,
That ignores Acciari isnt close to a relevant asset
That ignores that horvat is much much better than Oreilly at this time

Ehh I wouldn't value Horvat much better. Horvat has been playing much better offensively for four months but is still way weaker defensively and O'Reilly is a proven repeat playoff performer.

Beuavillier is not a negative asset
Acciari is likely worth the third.

And the likely difference in pick location between toronto and the islanders is significant too. That has significant value even with the protection.
Feb. 19, 2023 at 3:40 p.m.
Taught Him Everythin
So Leafs have a great C depth but who do they address know for D...
Feb. 20, 2023 at 10:29 a.m.
So in theory, Ryan O'Rielly was a member of the wild for a moment
Feb. 20, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
Pete
Why is Minnesota helping Toronto? I would ask 3rd round draft for O'Reilly cap hit retention. Take it or go to hell.
Feb. 20, 2023 at 2:14 p.m.
Quoting: Pete
Why is Minnesota helping Toronto? I would ask 3rd round draft for O'Reilly cap hit retention. Take it or go to hell.

Even worse, the 4th Rd pick the Leafs gave them for retaining had the Wild send the Leafs a former unsigned 4th Rd'er back (Pillar), so basicly the Wild got future consideration by spending just under 2 million of their cap space.
Feb. 20, 2023 at 2:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Pete

Then Toronto would go to another team and say hey want to retain giving the Wild nothing

As the saying goes dont look a gift horse in the mouth
Feb. 21, 2023 at 9:17 a.m.
The Blues "win" this deal for sure. Armstrong might be one of the best GMs in the NHL at understanding where his team is at, and maximizing assets on UFAs when he knows his team isn't really in contention. He also seems to understand that assets you didn't acquire are just as harmful as assets you spend. He has other decisions that tend to be more questionable, but once he has decided his roster isn't a real cup threat, he doesn't beat around the bush with his UFAs, and now he has 3 firsts in a draft that could be franchise altering. I am no scout, but if this upcoming draft is actually as deep as say the 2003 NHL entry draft, 3 picks in the first found can end up creating a big chunk of a new young core to move forward with.

The Leafs didn't do terribly here either, they did get some valuable pieces, and they did trade away picks rather than near-NHL ready prospects as they understand the window is open, but it isn't one and done. Knies, Minten, Niemela could be useful players for them in very short order simply by being on ELCs and likely bridge deals at under their on ice value after that, and this team will need that to keep it's window wide opened. The big knock here is that this deal depends on a player that clearly isn't in his prime anymore, and there is a pretty wide range of what that might mean. It's fair to assume that some part of his decline is age related, and some is the impact of playing on a team that isn't that great, the tricky part is that this trade being good or bad will depend on how much each of those impacted O'Reilly's play, because if they just get more of what he looked to be so far this year in St. Louis, this will have been too expensive. So the deal has risks.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 8:45 a.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
They aren't winning the division. It will likely be 20-24 depending.

not sure i know what you mean, 16 teams make playoffs so that makes 16 out, once the first round is done even if they lose in the first round they have the highest regular season record which gives them the worst pick from the remaining teams, so unless there is a huge upset the leafs would fall 24 best case scenario, unless BOS, CAR or NJD get bumped in the first round which i doubt, no other teams would have a better record.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 11:24 a.m.
We are all equal
Wild take 50 percent retention and only get a 4th rounder out of it? Am I missing something? The Wild got hosed on this deal entirely.... geez
Feb. 22, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: weirfanno1
Wild take 50 percent retention and only get a 4th rounder out of it? Am I missing something? The Wild got hosed on this deal entirely.... geez

They retained 25%. Once the math works out, they ended up paying $74000 actual dollars for a 4th round pick.
Feb. 22, 2023 at 9:19 p.m.
Quoting: majormoose007
The Leafs now have insane centre depth with Matthews, Tavares, O'Reilly and Kampf

Not really sure what Minnesota is doing essentially trading a 2021 4th for a 2025 4th

MN wasn't going to sign Pillar this summer, so they're kicking the 4th down the road for 74k
Feb. 27, 2023 at 4:30 p.m.
No regretzkys
Surprising how many people are giving St. Louis a win here.
Its a great deal for both teams and a huge W for the Leafs
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit