Forums/Armchair-GM

Dubois value discussion

Created by: Howie
Team: 2022-23 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: Mar. 19, 2023
Published: Mar. 19, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Based on all the information present in the case of Dubois it points to a breaking point via some type of change. His value is all over the place and seen in so many different ways leading to arguments on it.

The reasons why there is the vast amount of disagreement on his value is
Difference of understanding of the information
Rental vs extension in place value
What his upside is (60 point c vs ppg c)
Where he will sign
Amount of teams he would sign with

This agm has the purpose of sorting through what is possible and how different situations affect the returns.

The different situations that will be explored and trying my best to see everything from each side through the lens of the scenario. In no way am I saying all are fully realistic but more comparing and contrasting the deals so we understand the discrepancy between them.

Based on my deals which value wise precisely isn't the point but seeing how the value changes between the deals

Trade value of note is up for debate on what pieces would be wanted and those included but in each scenario I traded to make the offer purely of that situation. So even though Dubois may not get dach in the situation where he is acquired with the extension in place that it is a possibility. Players can be switched but more just my opinion on the situation at hand.

Sure I may get flamed for this but the trades themselves aren't perfect but more the idea behind how each scenario happens, the value reflected and how the contrast to the others. All of these situations are equally as the other to happen so the saying "wait until ufa, costs us nothing" sure is a way to think about it but that is a personal view on one situation that could occur. It's not fair to kick and scream on the other situations not happening when they could occur as well.

In conclusion am I saying that this is any close maybe. I hope I was able to layout the situation in a clear way so we can learn to overcome our personal biases of our favorite teams and understand how the value for Dubois can be seen in many different ways which are all equally valid. Hope this helped everyone and hope we can work to understand the changing path to this.

It should be noted that there is also the up most importance to make deals that make sense both ways ex Harris from mtl is a great dman but for the jets really doesn't have a spot which makes it more fluff to a deal. This would mean that having a discussion om what assets could be used for more accurate to fit the needs of both
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Dubois, Pierre-Luc
1$6,000,000
Dubois, Pierre-Luc
1$6,000,000
Dubois, Pierre-Luc
1$6,000,000
Dubois, Pierre-Luc
1$6,000,000
Dubois, Pierre-Luc
1$6,000,000
Trades
WPG
    UFA 2024
    Notes
    - 32 teams are all options
    - highest cap cost
    - lowest trade cost (0)
    - tax location and clauses have increased impact
    - most ufa additions are risky to not live up to expectations
    MTL
    1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
    Additional Details:
    Summary: Quite simply the easiest to explain. This is the scenario where Dubois is either traded elsewhere or kept and ends up actually testing the market. This would result in the lowest return and would be best case worse case contrast between signing team and the jets.
    WPG
    1. Kapanen, Oliver [Reserve List]
    2. 2023 3rd round pick (MTL)
    Additional Details:
    Traded for UFA rights
    Notes
    - Cheap acquisition cost
    - Still ufa (can still test ufa)
    - contract may be higher do to ufa predictions
    - need confidence that you get him signed
    - get something for a guy that could have been a situation 1
    - making best of keeping or renting him (traded elsewhere) with recouping assets
    MTL
    1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
    Additional Details:
    This situation occurs when an acquiring team or jets have Dubois on the roster past the 2024 playoffs and won't extend. At the draft he is traded for a quite limited return but atleast something. This can be related to the kevin hayes situation where the acquiring of ufa rights to give exclusive negotiation rights before ufa but can still test ufa. Value might be off bit depending on what team acquires him value is based on how confident they can sign him and ensuring he doesn't get a chance to be woo'd by other teams
    WPG
    1. 2024 1st round pick (MTL)
    2. 2024 3rd round pick (MTL)
    Additional Details:
    Offersheet
    Notes
    - match and bite the bullet or keep him (reduce ability to trade at all)
    - relations might lead to mtl players getting counter os as a retaliation in future (gms don't forget)
    - Value of all is very uncertain for either side (pick unknown location vs Dubois staying long term)
    - cheapest to aquire in 2023 but contract will be larger based on more solid production to base on.
    - not Many os come to succeed would this be the one?
    - unpredictability at its highest
    MTL
    1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
    Additional Details:
    This situation occurs in the summer of 2023. This is where a tendered offer sheet is accepted by Dubois to accelerate contract and knowing where he will be in the future in terms of matched or not. This creates dilemmas everywhere if mtl is the team that tenders the os. Jets would be in a situation where you either get the picks or guarantee that he is a ufa after the 2024 season and may not be traded. For Montreal giving up a 2024 unprotected first while still rebuilding can be risky. Dubois can also still intend to test ufa for all his options. This situation is the most rocky and most direct in terms of value if Jets cannot find a trade.
    WPG
    1. Drury, Jack
    2. Koivunen, Ville
    3. 2024 1st round pick (CAR)
    4. 2024 2nd round pick (CAR)
    Additional Details:
    Traded as a Rental
    Based on what horvat got as a rental being a 2023 first a-/b prospect and a younger roster player

Notes
    - Medium price
    - Can be any team that is willing to pay that rental price (horvat esk)
    - Dubois can still resign with the team as they will have negotiation rights (unless traded)
    - return leaves more to be desired but based on situation can be doable
    - still can go ufa and go anywhere
    CAR
    1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
    Additional Details:
    In this situation Dubois is either traded before or at tdl where they get the highest return they can without any discussions on longevity. This is basically a horvat 2.0 trade where both got a 1st in the upcoming draft, a good young prospect and a young roster player. Dubois as a rental should be based on this return granting slightly more than horvat. This situation allows for some recouping assets before the season is over and make the placement worse for a better draft position.

This is assumed that Dubois is just signed a 1 year deal with the jets and no trade protection.
    WPG
    1. Beck, Owen
    2. Mailloux, Logan
    3. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
    4. 2024 2nd round pick (COL)
    Additional Details:
    Traded to team where he would sign long term
    Notes
    - higher chance of extension
    - lower cap hit (vs ufa)
    - sole negotiation rights
    - higher trade cost bur not highest
    - still have his rights for flipping depending on how situation goes (back up options)
    MTL
    1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
    2. Vesalainen, Kristian [Reserve List]
    Additional Details:
    This situation is the idea where no contract is settled on but he would sign there for a longer period of time. Notice that the return increases as the guarantee of Dubois staying more than 1 year becomes more likely. This return has more assets as the likelihood of extension increases and thus his value. This is done at the draft or after (picks may change as a result) and has Dubois with the new team for the entire year.

In the middle between full trade with an extension and rental price which makes it an attractive middle group of value and guarantees
    WPG
    1. Dach, Kirby
    2. Mesar, Filip
    3. 2023 2nd round pick (MTL)
    Additional Details:
    Traded with an extension in place/Sign and trade
    Notes
    - High cost
    - Guaranteed
    - Avoids ufa
    - Contact done and saves over ufa price
    - no need for back up plans/trading him again
    -
    MTL
    1. Dubois, Pierre-Luc
    Additional Details:
    This is the situation that arises when Dubois is dealt to a team where he immediately signs guaranteeing him with the team. This costs the most as you ensure you get the player and bypass any ufa possibilities. This would be the most favorable to the jets as it garners the most return.

This would be where some value him at higher value than some like because the longevity.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the FLA
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the NYR
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the COL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the MTL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the WPG
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    31$82,500,000$87,112,858$0$2,050,000-$4,612,858
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
    $7,142,857$7,142,857
    LW
    UFA - 4
    $6,125,000$6,125,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $8,250,000$8,250,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    LW, RW, C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $3,250,000$3,250,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $2,166,667$2,166,667
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, RW
    RFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $825,000$825,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, C
    RFA - 2
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $925,000$925,000
    C
    RFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
    $916,667$916,667
    C
    RFA - 4
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $3,362,500$3,362,500
    C, RW
    RFA - 4
    Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
    $828,333$828,333
    RW
    RFA - 4
    $950,000$950,000
    RW, C
    RFA - 4
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $6,250,000$6,250,000
    LD
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $5,875,000$5,875,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $6,166,667$6,166,667
    G
    UFA - 2
    $5,950,000$5,950,000
    LD/RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $900,000$900,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $897,500$897,500
    RD
    RFA - 4
    $3,900,000$3,900,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $900,000$900,000
    LD
    RFA - 1
    $762,500$762,500
    LD
    UFA - 2
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Which One Do You See Happening?
    The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Mar. 19, 2023 at 6:37 p.m.
    Once a Kings Fan Too
    No fair attempting to inject rationality into a highly-emotionally-charged discussion.

I admire you greatly, both for the opinions expressed herein and the work that went into presenting them. smile
    Windjammer, drambui and tsyls liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 6:46 p.m.
    Quoting: OldNYIfan
    No fair attempting to inject rationality into a highly-emotionally-charged discussion.

I admire you greatly, both for the opinions expressed herein and the work that went into presenting them. smile

I just wanted to showcase that there are different ways to see his value that are all represented by a different way of how they see it going. I feel like the problem is the jets want the most for him and expect that they can allow teams to speak to him. Mtl thinks the opposite where they want him for the cheapest price. This creates this whole divide as when the values are so polarizing apart creates what is known as "The Dubois Sega on Capfriendly"
    OldNYIfan, tsyls and ricochetii liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.
    What do you think is the most likely?

IMHO I think the trade scenario to a contender like Carolina makes the most sense. After that, either he resigns with that team and his MTL rumors were just to help get him out of WPG or he signs with MTL in free agency. I don't think the MTL rumors are necessarily false but I do believe even if he wants to come to MTL, they're going to have to pay him big bucks. 9-9.5M+ is my guess. Especially if he has a good year with that cup contender. With that said I'd be ok with that over trading a pretty penny for him a year earlier but potentially at a better 8M-8.5M contract.
    TheRealisticGuy, Howie, Andy_Dick and 2 others liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
    Quoting: F50marco

IMHO I think the trade scenario to a contender like Carolina makes the most sense. After that, either he resigns with that team and his MTL rumors were just to help get him out of WPG or he signs with MTL in free agency. I don't think the MTL rumors are necessarily false but I do believe even if he wants to come to MTL, they're going to have to pay him big bucks. 9-9.5M+ is my guess. Especially if he has a good year with that cup contender. With that said I'd be ok with that over trading a pretty penny for him a year earlier but potentially at a better 8M-8.5M contract.

I think the cheaper option 5 where he would sign long term with a team. This creates a situation where both have something to gain (Dubois long term, jets increased return) it makes sense from me as it may be slightly more than you want to give up but you get the guy and great chance long term. The jets would want more but this return would be livable. This creates the best situation in trading where they both wish they could do better in the deal but both at the end of the day can accept the deal.
    tsyls liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:14 p.m.
    He’s probably gonna get overpaid, but I’m hard pressed to pay him more than $8 mil. Real question is whether he’s a 60 point center or ppg like you said. All I know is every deal like this makes me so happy the Rangers locked up Mika for only $8.5 mil. People said it was a bad deal, but I think it was great.
    tsyls liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
    Quoting: HOCKEYBOY448
    He’s probably gonna get overpaid, but I’m hard pressed to pay him more than $8 mil. Real question is whether he’s a 60 point center or ppg like you said. All I know is every deal like this makes me so happy the Rangers locked up Mika for only $8.5 mil. People said it was a bad deal, but I think it was great.

I'd say he's a 70-85 point center. Definitely not the best center in the world but you got competition. He may not be that 100 point player but his play style really doesn't lead to that. He's a power forward that uses his size and strength which creates offense rather than most guys using speed and elusiveness. Mika is on a great contract but with deals like this 9-9.5m on an 7-8 year deal may seem like an overpay can be seen as really good value in later years just like many before it. If he goes ufa the chances of it looking like a great contract dwindles.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    I agree with all of your scenarios except the sign & trade.

The value you are attributing is fine, but the idea that any GM trades 2 other moves he made at the start of the year is not in line with how GMs work.

Hughes traded for and signed Dach less than 1 year ago
    Hughes picked Mesar less than 1 year ago

Making that deal would be something like admitting failure. It would be another thing if Dubois was McDavid or something like that. It's explainable. But this deal would just make Hughes look like he's walking back moves he made last year and that will upset the fans and make him lose faith with the players.

As an unwritten rule, players cannot get traded within like 2 years of signing a long term deal. If you do that as a GM players won't trust that you won't do it to them.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:27 p.m.
    Quoting: Howie
    I think the cheaper option 5 where he would sign long term with a team. This creates a situation where both have something to gain (Dubois long term, jets increased return) it makes sense from me as it may be slightly more than you want to give up but you get the guy and great chance long term. The jets would want more but this return would be livable. This creates the best situation in trading where they both wish they could do better in the deal but both at the end of the day can accept the deal.

Right but that is with the assumption that the PLD to MTL rumors die down and he simply wants to go to whoever offers the best contract to him... MTL is only really interested because they think his heart is wanting to sign there, so they can get a good player for less than what he should cost. The minute MTL feels they are paying as high of a cost as anyone else would, the value is lost for them. It defeats the purpose.

These values you're presenting are under the assumption PLD to MTL rumors die down and he kind of publicly says it too. That is what this whole thing is really about at the end of the day. The highest return will not EVER be from MTL. It will be from another team. The size of that return depends on PLD's preference on where he signs long term. If he tells his agent, he'll sign wherever he get traded to, all of sudden MTL is probably out of the running all together and now the value from another team will increase to a more respectable level. If these rumors of PLD to MTL persist and potentially increase, WPG loses so much negotiating power. It means other teams have to accept that they probably won't get to keep PLD. Not being able to keep the asset drastically hurts the value WPG gets. It also emboldens MTL to simply not trade for him at all and simply wait till next offseason.

So its a very delicate situation that can change a lot very quickly for WPG. At the end of the day it comes down PLD and what he wants to have out in the ethos about his future. If the MTL rumors die down, the value WPG will get increases because teams know they have a true fighting chance to resign the player. The more PLD to MTL talk picks up, the less WPG will get from anyone because no team wants to pay out the nose and then lose the asset afterwards.

IMHO WPG's best option is if the PLD to MTL stuff dies down and is sent to a team like a contender who can offer big bucks on new contract, a good team to play on to sway him from MTL and has the assets to pay WPG. One thing for sure is that won't be MTL.

With that said, if the PLD to MTL stuff ramps up..... that Carolina deal might be the best you could possible ask for. The Horvat deal would not longer be a valid comparison. He was willing to sign anywhere. PLD wouldn't be. It changes everything.
    tsyls liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:30 p.m.
    Quoting: jonh514
    I agree with all of your scenarios except the sign & trade.

The value you are attributing is fine, but the idea that any GM trades 2 other moves he made at the start of the year is not in line with how GMs work.

Hughes traded for and signed Dach less than 1 year ago
    Hughes picked Mesar less than 1 year ago

Making that deal would be something like admitting failure. It would be another thing if Dubois was McDavid or something like that. It's explainable. But this deal would just make Hughes look like he's walking back moves he made last year and that will upset the fans and make him lose faith with the players.

As an unwritten rule, players cannot get traded within like 2 years of signing a long term deal. If you do that as a GM players won't trust that you won't do it to them.

The players aren't as important in the scenarios as it's more to illustrate the value. Mesar can be replaced with someone equal. I think you missed the part where the value wasn't perfect to match exactly but to contrast what the expectation of value is for each.
    jonh514 and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:38 p.m.
    HuGo is a Boss GM
    The players aren't as important in the scenarios as it's more to illustrate the value. Mesar can be replaced with someone equal. I think you missed the part where the value wasn't perfect to match exactly but to contrast what the expectation of value is for each.

Unfortunately the Habs don't have interesting players for your sign & trade scenario if you need a player like Dach who is not Dach coming back.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:38 p.m.
    Right but that is with the assumption that the PLD to MTL rumors die down and he simply wants to go to whoever offers the best contract to him... MTL is only really interested because they think his heart is wanting to sign there, so they can get a good player for less than what he should cost. The minute MTL feels they are paying as high of a cost as anyone else would, the value is lost for them. It defeats the purpose.

These values you're presenting are under the assumption PLD to MTL rumors die down and he kind of publicly says it too. That is what this whole thing is really about at the end of the day. The highest return will not EVER be from MTL. It will be from another team. The size of that return depends on PLD's preference on where he signs long term. If he tells his agent, he'll sign wherever he get traded to, all of sudden MTL is probably out of the running all together and now the value from another team will increase to a more respectable level. If these rumors of PLD to MTL persist and potentially increase, WPG loses so much negotiating power. It means other teams have to accept that they probably won't get to keep PLD. Not being able to keep the asset drastically hurts the value WPG gets. It also emboldens MTL to simply not trade for him at all and simply wait till next offseason.

So its a very delicate situation that can change a lot very quickly for WPG. At the end of the day it comes down PLD and what he wants to have out in the ethos about his future. If the MTL rumors die down, the value WPG will get increases because teams know they have a true fighting chance to resign the player. The more PLD to MTL talk picks up, the less WPG will get from anyone because no team wants to pay out the nose and then lose the asset afterwards.

IMHO WPG's best option is if the PLD to MTL stuff dies down and is sent to a team like a contender who can offer big bucks on new contract, a good team to play on to sway him from MTL and has the assets to pay WPG. One thing for sure is that won't be MTL.

With that said, if the PLD to MTL stuff ramps up..... that Carolina deal might be the best you could possible ask for. The Horvat deal would not longer be a valid comparison. He was willing to sign anywhere. PLD wouldn't be. It changes everything.

The point is with him willing to sign long term mtl still provides an offer. This again is an opinion of yours that says they won't if the price is high. It's fair value wise and if KH finds that it makes his team better in the long run they can still present a competitive offer.

Dubois mtl assumptions don't matter unless it literally comes out thar he'd only sign in mtl. That hasn't happened which means other teams will offer and won't affect anything. Heck if he gets linked more bur he's willing to go to Carolina and resign then boom still get the better return. Mtl is in a spot where if there too stingy and don't want to pay they lose the player it's as simple as that. The assumptions that he needs to prove he wants to come here and why spend when we get him for free all show that Dubois isn't important to them thus resulting in losing him altogether. If mtl wants him they have to beat the best offer available simple as that and if he's willing to go elsewhere mtl has to match it even if he won't sign there. The jets take the best return regardless and mtl needs to have the best one to get him.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:40 p.m.
    Quoting: jonh514
    Unfortunately the Habs don't have interesting players for your sign & trade scenario if you need a player like Dach who is not Dach coming back.

The point of the sign and trade is for the extra year of the contract that is negotiated by MTL in this case. This would be better than trading for him as max would be 7 years as he wasn't on the team for the previous year. This can be another team but sticking with mtl so value can be contrasted better as it keeps the team as a constant so the changing of teams doesn't affect the situation.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 7:57 p.m.
    TBH, I like that you took the time to view everything objectively and laid everything out according. Props must be give for this as I can only imagine the time and effort it took to do all of this. I also agree with all of the values based on each scenario and your prediction of what is the most likely scenario (I even hope it's Montreal that makes the trade and sign scenario TBH). I know I have said that I would do the OS but every time I said that I have said if a trade can't be worked out before hand, similar to how Carolina approached the KK situation. I don't even mind giving up Dach as part of a package depending on what the other piece/pieces are. For instance if Dach is part of the package then I would be comfortable with adding Mailloux and a 2nd but not any 1st round picks since the difference between Dach and PLD isn't a 1st + IMO.
    Andy_Dick and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:03 p.m.
    Quoting: Campabee
    TBH, I like that you took the time to view everything objectively and laid everything out according. Props must be give for this as I can only imagine the time and effort it took to do all of this. I also agree with all of the values based on each scenario and your prediction of what is the most likely scenario (I even hope it's Montreal that makes the trade and sign scenario TBH). I know I have said that I would do the OS but every time I said that I have said if a trade can't be worked out before hand, similar to how Carolina approached the KK situation. I don't even mind giving up Dach as part of a package depending on what the other piece/pieces are. For instance if Dach is part of the package then I would be comfortable with adding Mailloux and a 2nd but not any 1st round picks since the difference between Dach and PLD isn't a 1st + IMO.

Thanks! I don't really get mad at any mtl agm for the valuation they hold because anything can happen so why not lay it out so we can all understand each other more and come to an agreement on how convoluted this can be.
    Campabee and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:04 p.m.
    ht42

I have something to said about the interest of Dubois for playing with the Habs: it's the third time that this rumour has been show. The first time happened at the 2016 Draft (Dubois wanted to play for Montreal, and Bergevin haved a plan to make a massive trade with the Oilers or another team if Columbus drafted Puljujarvi). The second time was just before he got traded to Winnipeg (seems like his favorite spot who wanted to be traded was........ Montreal). But now, it's the third time, and that's from since the Draft holded Montreal last offseason (seems like he was at the draft in the Bell Centre because he wanted that a trade about him to the Canadiens happen during the draft evening).

So, my opinion is I 100% not belive that he his now use Montreal for upgrading his value and signing with another team, I think his interest for playing with the Canadiens and sign with them a long-term contract with a price under his real value (means between 7M-7.5M) can be 100% feasible.
    OldNYIfan liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:07 p.m.
    Quoting: ht42
    I have something to said about the interest of Dubois for playing with the Habs: it's the third time that this rumour has been show. The first time happened at the 2016 Draft (Dubois wanted to play for Montreal, and Bergevin haved a plan to make a massive trade with the Oilers or another team if Columbus drafted Puljujarvi). The second time was just before he got traded to Winnipeg (seems like his favorite spot who wanted to be traded was........ Montreal). But now, it's the third time, and that's from since the Draft holded Montreal last offseason (seems like he was at the draft in the Bell Centre because he wanted that a trade about him to the Canadiens happen during the draft evening).

So, my opinion is I 100% not belive that he his now use Montreal for upgrading his value and signing with another team, I think his interest for playing with the Canadiens and sign with them a long-term contract with a price under his real value (means between 7M-7.5M) can be 100% feasible.

Yeah he can definitely take a pay cut but would most likely need to be via trade as asking Dubois to take a pay cut as a ufa might not be the best approach when other teams are offering 9m plus. Trade will be less Cap but pay assets and ufa would be keeping those assets higher aav and no guarantee he signs.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:11 p.m.

Every scenario laid out is 100% feasible to some degree as stated in the description. I think a deal between Montreal and Winnipeg is worked out at the draft or shortly there after. I give the odds of that happening about 60-70% over any of the other scenarios.
    ht42 and OldNYIfan liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.

Yup. Leverage. Wont be the 1st time another Quebecois used the Habs for leverage ie Danny 'my kid is an butth**d' Briere
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:21 p.m.

He's drastically slowed down with 4 pts in his last 13 games in a career year. The fact that he will ask for too much money with only a year of control and only wants to go to a few places (or only one place) that will limit his value and he's not a franchise player. There are too many factors here that dont play in the Jets favour
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:27 p.m.
    The point is with him willing to sign long term mtl still provides an offer. This again is an opinion of yours that says they won't if the price is high. It's fair value wise and if KH finds that it makes his team better in the long run they can still present a competitive offer.

Dubois mtl assumptions don't matter unless it literally comes out thar he'd only sign in mtl. That hasn't happened which means other teams will offer and won't affect anything. Heck if he gets linked more bur he's willing to go to Carolina and resign then boom still get the better return. Mtl is in a spot where if there too stingy and don't want to pay they lose the player it's as simple as that. The assumptions that he needs to prove he wants to come here and why spend when we get him for free all show that Dubois isn't important to them thus resulting in losing him altogether. If mtl wants him they have to beat the best offer available simple as that and if he's willing to go elsewhere mtl has to match it even if he won't sign there. The jets take the best return regardless and mtl needs to have the best one to get him.

I'll have to disagree with virtually everything you're stating then.

- MTL is rebuilding. Zero rush for them to do this now. PLD does not make them a playoff team next year and the players and picks they're losing by gaining PLD has just as much potential as PLD.
    - They likely have a top 5 pick in this years draft with 4 of 5 top picks being centermen. Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith are all top line center potential that negate the need for PLD really.
    - Center prospect depth coming in Kidney, Beck, etc as a backups for lower portential.
    - Habs already have Suzuki and Dach as top 2 centers currently. The stat lines in MTL have been unflattering this year but ask any Habs fan, Dach was one of the teams best players this year. Suzuki
    - Throw in the fact that there MAY be a chance PLD signs in free agency for free.... assuming the above options changed.

WPG will have no choice but to go elsewhere. MTL has so many factors going for them that paying that price for PLD is pointless. I'm not saying MTL will get PLD for a song. Im saying the best value WPG gets won't be from MTL.

If zero rumors came out linking PLD to MTL and Dubois's last name was Doughty, I don't think MTL would even make an offer at all. They don't need PLD right now. 2 years ago, they would have been ALL in on Dubois but didn't have the assets to beat WPG's offer.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:32 p.m.
    I'll have to disagree with virtually everything you're stating then.

- MTL is rebuilding. Zero rush for them to do this now. PLD does not make them a playoff team next year and the players and picks they're losing by gaining PLD has just as much potential as PLD.
    - They likely have a top 5 pick in this years draft with 4 of 5 top picks being centermen. Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith are all top line center potential that negate the need for PLD really.
    - Center prospect depth coming in Kidney, Beck, etc as a backups for lower portential.
    - Habs already have Suzuki and Dach as top 2 centers currently. The stat lines in MTL have been unflattering this year but ask any Habs fan, Dach was one of the teams best players this year. Suzuki
    - Throw in the fact that there MAY be a chance PLD signs in free agency for free.... assuming the above options changed.

WPG will have no choice but to go elsewhere. MTL has so many factors going for them that paying that price for PLD is pointless. I'm not saying MTL will get PLD for a song. Im saying the best value WPG gets won't be from MTL.

If zero rumors came out linking PLD to MTL and Dubois's last name was Doughty, I don't think MTL would even make an offer at all. They don't need PLD right now. 2 years ago, they would have been ALL in on Dubois but didn't have the assets to beat WPG's offer.

Then you are willingly saying that you understand the risks of taking this longer term approach and know that the cap and guarantee of getting him at all is affected. Sure you can stick to the rebuild all the power to ya. The jets take the best return and that's that if it comes with Dubois signed that's what it is and can't go back. These situation is similar to the first one I covered but again the risk of not getting him or the larger cap cost (32 bidders potentially).
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:32 p.m.

Im not sure those other times change anything though. Dubois didn't have any leverage to CHOOSE where he wanted to go when he was drafted or when he wanted to leave CLB. He has a say now simply because he can force WPG or any team that gets him to sign him to a 1 year deal and then he becomes a free agent. That is the only time he was able to actually make a difference to push where he wants to go.

I will say this though, assuming he goes to free agency, MTL will not get PLD at a discount..... players want money over any thing else. If Habs low ball him, he will just sign elsewhere. So if the Habs get him in free agency, they'll have to pay big. I personally am ok with that though. MTL does not get the same benefit as NY or LA with luring players to come play here so we have to accept that we HAVE to pay more than some other teams.
    ricochetii liked this.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
    Im not sure those other times change anything though. Dubois didn't have any leverage to CHOOSE where he wanted to go when he was drafted or when he wanted to leave CLB. He has a say now simply because he can force WPG or any team that gets him to sign him to a 1 year deal and then he becomes a free agent. That is the only time he was able to actually make a difference to push where he wants to go.

I will say this though, assuming he goes to free agency, MTL will not get PLD at a discount..... players want money over any thing else. If Habs low ball him, he will just sign elsewhere. So if the Habs get him in free agency, they'll have to pay big. I personally am ok with that though. MTL does not get the same benefit as NY or LA with luring players to come play here so we have to accept that we HAVE to pay more than some other teams.

The only thing I hope is that acquiring PLD doesn't influence their draft picks with 2 picks, likely, in the top 16, and a high 2nd. They need to go BPA this draft. This isn't the year to reach on defenseman.
    In 2024, they'll be about 8 legit LD, RD talents in the top12 projected ranks. There are a ton of difference makers at center this draft.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
    Then you are willingly saying that you understand the risks of taking this longer term approach and know that the cap and guarantee of getting him at all is affected. Sure you can stick to the rebuild all the power to ya. The jets take the best return and that's that if it comes with Dubois signed that's what it is and can't go back. These situation is similar to the first one I covered but again the risk of not getting him or the larger cap cost (32 bidders potentially).

Once again, you are assuming PLD rumors to MTL are simply that. They may be. They may not be though. That's the problem with other teams willing to offer full value. Which in turn lowers what MTL would be willing to offer.

I think you are getting hyper focused on the idea that MTL will get PLD for peanuts in a trade. That is not what I'm saying at all. If MTL doesn't come up with an offer that is suitable, WPG will move him elsewhere for the best offer and I think all Habs fans are ok with that. Assuming PLD is willing to just sign with any team, WPG will get their high value.

Also any player can make the team better but the value has to be worth the sacrifice. Based on where MTL is sitting, where they are projecting next year and based on what they have coming in the future with prospects, paying the price for PLD makes no sense. That does not mean they wont offer anything. They'll make an offer but based on the factors I just laid out, there is very little chance any other teams offer won't beat it. Hence why another team makes more sense to pay the demands WPG will be asking for. Not MTL.
    Mar. 19, 2023 at 8:53 p.m.
    Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
    The only thing I hope is that acquiring PLD doesn't influence their draft picks with 2 picks, likely, in the top 16, and a high 2nd. They need to go BPA this draft. This isn't the year to reach on defenseman.
    In 2024, they'll be about 8 legit LD, RD talents in the top12 projected ranks. There are a ton of difference makers at center this draft.

Habs won't make any PLD trade until they know where their 1st is. Its as simple as that. Habs winning the lottery eliminates any need for PLD outright. Bedard and Fantilli will both be better than PLD. Probably even Carlsson too. Smith im less sure of. So the draft position dictates whether or not a PLD trade is even warranted anymore.

As for everything else, Yeah I agree 100%. BPA this draft and next year focus on RHD.
    Andy_Dick liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Loading animation
    Submit Poll Edit