Hakuna Matata
Korpisalo is gonna be in high demand this offseason

Wonder where he ends up

I feel LAK will find a way to extend him but lets see
Apr. 21, 2023 at 11:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Anyone else feel Bill Guerin might be GM of the year this year

Guy robbed the Sens on Gustavsson who looks to be a solid starter

Somehow robbed Buffalo in the Greenway trade (Got them to Pay a 2nd and 5th for a guy with 2 goals and 5 assists)

Helped 3 way retain and got some picks in the ROR and Orlov trades

Then spent a 3rd, 2 4th, 2 5th and some meh guys on Klingberg, Nyqvist, Johansson, Sundqvist, Reaves

So he basically paid almost nothing and made his team better.....
Apr. 21, 2023 at 11:47 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: aadoyle
Anyone else feel Bill Guerin might be GM of the year this year

Guy robbed the Sens on Gustavsson who looks to be a solid starter

Somehow robbed Buffalo in the Greenway trade (Paid a 2nd and 5th for a guy with 2 goals and 5 assists)

Helped 3 way retain and got some picks in the ROR and Orlov trades

Then spent a 3rd, 2 4th, 2 5th and some meh guys on Klingberg, Nyqvist, Johansson, Sundqvist, Reaves

So he basically paid almost nothing and made his team better.....

I'm a fan of that pick
aadoyle and CantStopWontStop liked this.
Apr. 23, 2023 at 2:11 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier

I want him to be a Flyer so bad. 2024 Draft Eligible
zk97 and Sharkie69 liked this.
Apr. 23, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Was thinking of an interesting idea where Canes can take advantage and get a nice backup for nothing

If LA wants to keep Korpisalo, Waddell should go retain 50% on Pete and send a 2nd we will take him (Basically 2.5mill young backup with rebound potential for almost nothing)

They go with the tandem of Kochetkov/Peterson for 2023-2024 which will only cost 4.5mill combined allowing them cap space to make more moves.

Could apply this to some other teams but I see it as a potential option
Apr. 25, 2023 at 2:26 p.m.
torontos finest
For next season, if you guys want to estimate what each hearing will result in: https://wheelofnames.com/en/heq-2dt
Sharkie69, IconicHawk and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 3:07 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Question, why aren't more Sens fans calling for Dorion's ass to get fired?
Bad moves under the reign of Melnyk followed up with more trades and signing backfiring after his passing surely cannot be acceptable, right?
There's got be a handful of GMs other capable of doing a better job with this young and budding Sens core than Dorion.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 3:08 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: Tintin
Bad moves under the reign of Melnyk followed up with more trades and signing backfiring after his passing surely cannot be acceptable, right?
There's got be a handful of GMs other capable of doing a better job with this young and budding Sens core than Dorion.

The true person to blame is DJ Smith
Saskleaf liked this.
Apr. 25, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: mondo
For next season, if you guys want to estimate what each hearing will result in: https://wheelofnames.com/en/heq-2dt

For the more notable suspensions this past season:

Ian Cole: 1 Game (in real life: Nothing)
Ryan Hartman: 3 games (in real life: 1 game
Micheal Bunting: 6 games (in real life: 3 games
Cale Makar: Kadri Suspended (in real life: 1 game but should’ve been longer)
Apr. 25, 2023 at 4:12 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

They all should be fired but thats gonna be up to new ownership. Firing all these guys now could make potential buyers go nah pass I dont want this team
Apr. 25, 2023 at 4:12 p.m.

I don’t believe gms like Dorian, treliving, Chia, Dubas, Vegas, whoever is in Florida make any decisions. They give advice and get told what to do at best. Their measurable role on the team is to build player development, on ice coaching, manage contracts including things like personel travel, equipment, administration.

The owner chooses the horses he races. If there’s a problem with the horses that were picked, it’s the owners fault. I feel if most fans put themselves into the shoes of the owner they’d realize this.

I’d personally build my entire team. My gm would have to hard sell me on any idea he had for me to even consider it because I’d be spending substantial time doing that myself and have my own opinions.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
cautious optimism

> Work in Retail

What would someone have to do to recieve a disciplinary action that severe?
zk97 liked this.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 2:43 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I don’t believe gms like Dorian, treliving, Chia, Dubas, Vegas, whoever is in Florida make any decisions. They give advice and get told what to do at best. Their measurable role on the team is to build player development, on ice coaching, manage contracts including things like personel travel, equipment, administration.

The owner chooses the horses he races. If there’s a problem with the horses that were picked, it’s the owners fault. I feel if most fans put themselves into the shoes of the owner they’d realize this.

I’d personally build my entire team. My gm would have to hard sell me on any idea he had for me to even consider it because I’d be spending substantial time doing that myself and have my own opinions.

"Hands on" owners are the worst. Don't think there is any exception (none come to mind anyway). Empower the staff you believe in, then stay out of their way.
Final say over significant moves is understandable, like $10Mx8 contracts, because there's a financial commitment involved. No GM worth having is going to agree to be micromanaged.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 3:09 p.m.
torontos finest

I doubt a lot of general managers are owner-controlled. Most teams have people in positions for those other tasks, so if you want to have full reign over signings, trades and drafting, why would you hire a GM in the first place?
Apr. 26, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
torontos finest

They're currently in the middle of trying to sell the team and it wouldn't be wise to change upper management, because in all likelihood the new ownership would be doing that.

Same reason why DJ Smith hasn't been shown the door either.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 5:10 p.m.
Edited Apr. 26, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
I doubt a lot of general managers are owner-controlled. Most teams have people in positions for those other tasks, so if you want to have full reign over signings, trades and drafting, why would you hire a GM in the first place?

Because you need to manage the staff and system involved in player development, staff and system for team training, staff and system for team coaching, equipment, facilities operations, travel and logistics, audio/video, analytics, the salary cap, cba requirements, and a number of other roles such as medical, minor league operations and staff in some cases. Somebody has to tie all of that together so the organization can move as one. That person does not also need to have full control over on ice talent to have a satisfying role.

Ultimately, I doubt there is a team in the league where the gm can unilaterally sign a core player to the roster. At the very least ownership never finds out about it from twitter. In some cases the gm simply notifies the owner (rare, often found where ownership groups are a wide collection such as St. Louis right now), in others the gm asks for permission (Bill Guerin as example), in others the gm is told (Aquilini as an example). I’d guess more than half the league is in the last category.

I’m not a fan of how it works because the gm ultimately becomes the fall guy, like Chiarelli. I bet most active hockey fans for the past bit who have an opinion on him would say he sucks. He didn’t make any decisions. He just got blamed for them.
Apr. 26, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
Edited Apr. 26, 2023 at 5:25 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
"Hands on" owners are the worst. Don't think there is any exception (none come to mind anyway). Empower the staff you believe in, then stay out of their way.
Final say over significant moves is understandable, like $10Mx8 contracts, because there's a financial commitment involved. No GM worth having is going to agree to be micromanaged.

The gm doesn’t have a choice. There’s 32 of these jobs and a couple hundred fully qualified candidates. It’s the owners team.

There are good ones and there are bad ones.

The good ones build super deep hockey cultures in their regions. This happens because they typically are influential in their region and are passionate. They typically will go to extremes to attract substantial talent: Mike Iilitch - he brought Russians to the NHL and made Detroit a hockey Mecca, Ed Sneider established an identity for Philly, landed many amazing skaters, the Solomons, this list is quite long and hockey is way better because of them.

The bad ones suck, it is what it is. Sometimes they get better. Sometimes they pass away and the team is sold.

You can get the start of an educated guess into who is like this by who brings their kids up to the podium on the draft floor in the first round. It isn’t a guarantee, but it’s quite the tell as to how involved that owner is. You can tell also by gm hires. Gms who expect more control go to jobs offering more control. (Doug Armstrong), Gms who will accept less are newer or used to that arrangement: Guerin, Dubas, Bill Armstrong, Patrick Alvin, etc
Apr. 29, 2023 at 6:25 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

If WPG decides to blow it up there are gonna be a lot of teams in on this man
Apr. 29, 2023 at 6:27 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: aadoyle

If WPG decides to blow it up there are gonna be a lot of teams in on this man

If the oilers get a goalie and Campbell goes to the jets. That’s a lethal team. They gotta fix blue line too imo. Not so much tho
Apr. 29, 2023 at 6:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: capsfan2121
If the oilers get a goalie and Campbell goes to the jets. That’s a lethal team. They gotta fix blue line too imo. Not so much tho

Campbell wont waive for WPG and Oilers already in a tight cap situation for next year as they got guys to extend

Its either gonna be Carolina, Toronto, or Buffalo
capsfan2121 liked this.
Apr. 29, 2023 at 10:12 p.m.
Rutta 4ever
First time joining the losers this early since 2019!

CantStopWontStop and zk97 liked this.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 1:09 a.m.
Seemed like Gavrikov was a good fit on the Kings and had a solid playoff from my perspective as an outsider.

Wonder if he resigns there.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 1:10 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Seemed like Gavrikov was a good fit on the Kings and had a solid playoff from my perspective as an outsider.

Wonder if he resigns there.

Man before games 4,5 and 6 I would have said bring Korpisalo back but he kind of lost it for them here and there. Defense didnt help but man just bring up Pete for next year and give him a second chance

Gav 100% extend
Apr. 30, 2023 at 10:55 a.m.
Going to be interesting to see what Boston (if they are unfortunate and lose tonight) and Tampa do given their draft assets. For clarity, Boston and Tampa’s next pick in the first two rounds is 3 years from now, and in 3 years they only get 1 pick each.

They’re both very vulnerable with their RFAs as well. Tanner Jeannot and Trent Frederic are both at the age where they can force a walk to ufa, and neither have gotten a payday yet. From their perspective, signing a team friendly deal with term risks any future payday, as 5-8 years from now they’re in their 30s, and both play a role that typically doesn’t see longevity. Both skaters may be the target of offer sheets as well, although signing them is another story.

We haven’t had teams in the salary cap era spend so much into the future. There is a challenge when a team goes too far in either direction: it changes the development system and forces a future cap situation: The staff and roster slots for a team who drafts 3 firsts in one year is much different from a team who drafts 0 firsts in 3 years. The future cap pidgeon holes the organization one way or the other - whether you hoard draft picks or give them all away, allowing opposing gms leverage in any exchange. Considering that this is an expansionary period for the NHL, filling out a roster becomes increasingly difficult each new team.

I think anybody looking to predict trade proposals should look at these two teams RFAs and non-core skaters, with a chunk of the return being a future asset. The long term cost of not doing this is high and appears unmanageable.
Apr. 30, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
Bedard23
9 days before the draft lottery!

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll