Forums/Armchair-GM

Big boy business

Created by: jimmyjets
Team: 2023-24 Winnipeg Jets
Initial Creation Date: May 2, 2023
Published: May 3, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
The key is to get that rhd prospect with top pair potential for the next core and we move Helle and Dilly and take back a two year cap dump to do it.

Then we move 55 to his childhood favourite team with his best friend in Copp there. We take a mid 1st and 2nd for him leaving Detroit with Kasper to grow into his 2c spot and they keep 9OA to draft Reinbacher to play behind Seider.

Stop gap RHD to the Devils until Nemec is ready.

Washington trade… Jets likely on Kizzy’s NTC list but send Schmidt back to where he got his start, Wheeler with him and Stanley to seal the deal. Max salary retention on wheels and Schmidt keeps the cap relatively neutral.

Then an obligatory pld trade.

Sign a goalie to a 3 year contract to bridge to Dom.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
2$1,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$4,000,000
Trades
WPG
  1. 2023 1st round pick (NYI)
  2. 2023 2nd round pick (STL)
WPG
  1. 2023 2nd round pick (NJD)
WSH
  1. Schmidt, Nate ($2,800,000 retained)
  2. Stanley, Logan [RFA Rights]
  3. Wheeler, Blake ($4,125,000 retained)
WPG
  1. Barron, Justin
  2. Xhekaj, Arber
  3. 2023 1st round pick (FLA)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYI
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the STL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$82,500,000$66,413,690$0$1,620,000$16,086,310
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$918,333$918,333
C, RW
RFA - 3
$7,142,857$7,142,857
LW
UFA - 3
$894,167$894,167 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,166,667$2,166,667
RW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, C
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,250,000$6,250,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
UFA - 5
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
LD
RFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD
RFA - 2
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$850,000$850,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
RD
RFA - 2
Taxi Squad
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$863,333$863,333 ($0$0$0$0) (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
RFA - 3

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
May 3, 2023 at 12:38 a.m.
Jesus Christ Is King
No from LAK , MTL and WSH easily

DET , i dunno they need a guy like him
That's high but not ridiculous , if he wasnt part of the core that tried getting its 3rd coach in 2 years fired, i'd say yes 100%

Demelo , i mean if its TDL as depth i see it
But to start the season? he wont be needed then
OldNYIfan, Burnout and NoVaSpartan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 12:59 a.m.
Detroit declines. The talent available with those two picks is much more valuable than a 30 year old player with one year left on his contract is.
OldNYIfan and Burnout liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 1:20 a.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: Billy316
No from LAK , MTL and WSH easily

DET , i dunno they need a guy like him
That's high but not ridiculous , if he wasnt part of the core that tried getting its 3rd coach in 2 years fired, i'd say yes 100%

Demelo , i mean if its TDL as depth i see it
But to start the season? he wont be needed then

I disagree on your DeMelo take. If you need them at the deadline you can use them at the start of the season too. It’s just a question of capspace.

Also, the only coach the Jets have ever fired is Claude Noel. Pomo quit and Lowry was interim and not offered the job.
May 3, 2023 at 2:58 a.m.
I don't know you might be able to get that for Scheifelebut it won't be from Detroit. Detroit isn't even a playoff team and trading a 1st and a 2nd round pick in a very deep draft for a 30yr old just isn't going to happen.
JoeROFLCOPTER and OldNYIfan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 4:06 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: aedoran
I don't know you might be able to get that for Scheifelebut it won't be from Detroit. Detroit isn't even a playoff team and trading a 1st and a 2nd round pick in a very deep draft for a 30yr old just isn't going to happen.

Got no stats to back it up, but I could see more of a nfl approach coming to hockey and draftpicks being more considered gold than in past years, less trades and lesser longterm contracts. That whole spiel to say I’m in agreement on picks getting moved without cap relief also going back.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 5:19 a.m.
Joe
Quoting: Birtle34
Got no stats to back it up, but I could see more of a nfl approach coming to hockey and draftpicks being more considered gold than in past years, less trades and lesser longterm contracts. That whole spiel to say I’m in agreement on picks getting moved without cap relief also going back.

Think a lot of it is the fact that this draft is thought of to be the best since 2015
May 3, 2023 at 6:01 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: JoeROFLCOPTER
Think a lot of it is the fact that this draft is thought of to be the best since 2015

For sure, I just think there is going to be more of a trend going forward where the 27/31 year olds are going to not get as much term on there deals unless they are truly upper echelon or trying to scoop from another team, and be more value put to draftpicks, but just a theory, it will be interesting what the contracts are offered to helly/Dubois/scheifele and what the other teams offer
JoeROFLCOPTER and OldNYIfan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 6:29 a.m.
NJD need to first figure out what to do with Graves and Severson
CD282 and OldNYIfan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 6:34 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506

NJ is probably the last team I'd target if I had a 1st pairing RHD to offer.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 6:39 a.m.
PlusMinus is stupid
Detroit doesn't want Scheifele. You can keep him.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 8:04 a.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
No, we are NOT trading Brandt Clarke (or Quinton Byfield, or both) for one season of Connor Hellebuyck. We wish that you Winnipeg fans would stop doing this.
May 3, 2023 at 8:23 a.m.
While there are tons of Jets Teardown AGM's on this site, I rarely see pending UFA Nino Niederreiter getting traded. Why is that?
May 3, 2023 at 8:59 a.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Hard no on the caps trade. We don't need any of those pieces coming back.
NoVaSpartan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 9:36 a.m.
Buffbry
Wings pass, pending ufa, wrong age, doesn't play defense, bad attitude. Not a player they would Consider
May 3, 2023 at 11:51 a.m.
n.1 Topias Vilen fan
Devils would be after DeMelo if they want Nemec to cook and they don't trust Walsh, but I don't like the price.
May 3, 2023 at 10:18 p.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: CD282
While there are tons of Jets Teardown AGM's on this site, I rarely see pending UFA Nino Niederreiter getting traded. Why is that?

I think a few reasons. 1) he hits and works has ass off on the forcheck turning pucks over. In Winnipeg we love that stuff but our other top 6 wingers aren’t very physical. 2) he goes to the net and scores from the slot. KFC, Ehlers, Perfetti, Wheeler don’t really bring that. 3) he said he likes it here and would consider signing an extension. He’s a keep as even with what we have coming there is skill but not a lot of grit. Also it’s just nice to hear a player say they want to be here. With so much talk about who is leaving and being on every single no trade list it’s really wearing on people having all these people dump on where you live all the time. Honestly it takes a lot of the shine off the NHL for a number of people.
CD282 liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 10:36 p.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: OldNYIfan
No, we are NOT trading Brandt Clarke (or Quinton Byfield, or both) for one season of Connor Hellebuyck. We wish that you Winnipeg fans would stop doing this.

Sorry bro. Didn’t mean to hit a nerve but I know how it feels with all these PLD trades we wouldn’t consider. I had seen a few for by field but hadn’t seen Brandt. With the RHD depth the kings have, their desire to get out from Cal’s dead cap and filling a hole on left d with pretty much the exact player you need (if he was younger would be perfect but price would be more) I wanted to see what the commentary would be as Clarke probably needs a year or 2 in the A I thought he could be moved as Helle will extend there for sure.

Are you not interested in Helle or just don’t want to give up a high end asset for him? If you were interested what would your offer be? The Ryan miller trade is maybe the most comparable one considering age and performance but with Ott included it muddies the water a bit. But that was a 1st, a 3rd, an nhl goalie coming back (Halak), Stewart as a middle 6 winger that was picked 18 OA but had some injury trouble and then carrier that was a recent 2nd round pick that was nhl ready but not really established yet.

Ott was in his 11th NHL season and was on the downswing scoring 24 points in his 4+ seasons after the trade. (Total points, not per year)

I’d prefer to avoid 3 or 4 pieces for the return and would prefer fewer, but better assets.
OldNYIfan liked this.
May 3, 2023 at 10:52 p.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: brady_t12
Hard no on the caps trade. We don't need any of those pieces coming back.

Some insiders thought Stanley to the Caps at the deadline was essentially a done deal, which was the basis for the trade. Wheeler at $4M and Schmidt at $3M are value contracts at that point so the idea was a couple of guys trying to max out OVI’s last bit as rentals and a longer term piece in Stan for a guy I thought you were trying to move. He likely wouldn’t waive his trade protection to come here anyhow but that’s what I was thinking. If you don’t want rentals and are interested in younger pieces only I get that.
May 3, 2023 at 10:58 p.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: NHLfan10506

My understanding is that they let both walk with Hughes coming in next year on the left and Nemec needing one more year on the right.

For a contending team I thought DeMelo would be the perfect add as he’s great with the young guys if you wanted to pair him with Hughes and he can handle top pair minutes of something happened to Hamilton.

He’s a defensive d man but the cost is the cost. We could hold and move him at the deadline for a late second so I think we’d need that level of return. You want to suggest a prospect or player instead of the pick I’d listen but thought the late 2nd would be the preferred thing to move.
May 3, 2023 at 11:08 p.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: Billy12Bob
Detroit declines. The talent available with those two picks is much more valuable than a 30 year old player with one year left on his contract is.

He’s 30 but also scored 40 goals this year and was o e of the top Cs when it comes to slot passes per 60 so of his line mates could have finished better he would have topped 90 points. I thought with how close Detroit was this year they would be ready to make the playoffs next year and a Larkin/Scheif 1 2 punch is as good as anyone else.

Was leaving Kasper to take 55’s spot as he ages. If it doesn’t make sense it doesn’t but with 5 picks in the first 2 rounds I thought there was some draft capital to play with.

I would probably expect a 1st from a playoff team, prospect + at the deadline and since the Islanders pick will be later I figured I’d see if we could move the timing up a bit.
May 3, 2023 at 11:22 p.m.
Fantasy Hockey Pro
Quoting: jimmyjets
Some insiders thought Stanley to the Caps at the deadline was essentially a done deal, which was the basis for the trade. Wheeler at $4M and Schmidt at $3M are value contracts at that point so the idea was a couple of guys trying to max out OVI’s last bit as rentals and a longer term piece in Stan for a guy I thought you were trying to move. He likely wouldn’t waive his trade protection to come here anyhow but that’s what I was thinking. If you don’t want rentals and are interested in younger pieces only I get that.

I do like Stanley but the issue with Wheeler and Schmidt is that even with retention they take up too much cap space. If we’re moving out kuznetsov, we need to replace him with a star forward. Wheeler and Schmidt just aren’t that caliber of player. I see your reasoning, it’s just not a move that would make a ton of sense right now. Essentially we’ve got too many middling players and not enough star power. Allocating more cap to middling players will kill us.
May 3, 2023 at 11:24 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: jimmyjets
Sorry bro. Didn’t mean to hit a nerve but I know how it feels with all these PLD trades we wouldn’t consider. I had seen a few for by field but hadn’t seen Brandt. With the RHD depth the kings have, their desire to get out from Cal’s dead cap and filling a hole on left d with pretty much the exact player you need (if he was younger would be perfect but price would be more) I wanted to see what the commentary would be as Clarke probably needs a year or 2 in the A I thought he could be moved as Helle will extend there for sure.

Are you not interested in Helle or just don’t want to give up a high end asset for him? If you were interested what would your offer be? The Ryan miller trade is maybe the most comparable one considering age and performance but with Ott included it muddies the water a bit. But that was a 1st, a 3rd, an nhl goalie coming back (Halak), Stewart as a middle 6 winger that was picked 18 OA but had some injury trouble and then carrier that was a recent 2nd round pick that was nhl ready but not really established yet.

Ott was in his 11th NHL season and was on the downswing scoring 24 points in his 4+ seasons after the trade. (Total points, not per year)

I’d prefer to avoid 3 or 4 pieces for the return and would prefer fewer, but better assets.

My problem with Hellebuyck is that we can't afford the cost of his acquisition, we can't afford his cap hit for the one season that he'll be in Los Angeles, and we can't afford to re-sign him. Since this trade has been suggested many times since the Kings' exit from the playoffs, I've gone through these reasons in other threads, so I was short-winded responding to this suggestion. Let me be more expansive:

Our primary needs are to fill the vacancies at #2 LhD and starting goaltender. Given the current makeup of our roster, we'll have about $8 million to accomplish those two tasks. Hellebuyck's $6-million-plus cap hit is a drag on that resolution which Petersen's cap hit offsets, but Dillon isn't the answer to our LhD problem so that package is a no-go regardless of what we have to send; meanwhile, Byfield and Clarke are projected to be such key future cornerstones of our franchise that we simply won't part with them. Let's consider only Hellebuyck from the Jets' side. (I'm not sure that the Ryan Miller trade is a good comparable because as I recall, he wasn't a rental and this deal took place before the cap era became so all-encompassing.) Hellebuyck for Petersen is cap-satisfying for Los Angeles but obviously horribly insufficient on value for the Jets. So we'd offer you our 2023 second (having traded our 2022 and 2023 firsts, we probably won't be keen on trading our 2024) and a choice of Alex Iafallo and one of the following two prospects or both Alex Turcotte and Sean Durzi. I think that's about the most we'd want to give up for one season of Connor Hellebuyck, as excellent and hardy as he is.
May 3, 2023 at 11:37 p.m.
jimmyjets
Quoting: OldNYIfan
My problem with Hellebuyck is that we can't afford the cost of his acquisition, we can't afford his cap hit for the one season that he'll be in Los Angeles, and we can't afford to re-sign him. Since this trade has been suggested many times since the Kings' exit from the playoffs, I've gone through these reasons in other threads, so I was short-winded responding to this suggestion. Let me be more expansive:

Our primary needs are to fill the vacancies at #2 LhD and starting goaltender. Given the current makeup of our roster, we'll have about $8 million to accomplish those two tasks. Hellebuyck's $6-million-plus cap hit is a drag on that resolution which Petersen's cap hit offsets, but Dillon isn't the answer to our LhD problem so that package is a no-go regardless of what we have to send; meanwhile, Byfield and Clarke are projected to be such key future cornerstones of our franchise that we simply won't part with them. Let's consider only Hellebuyck from the Jets' side. (I'm not sure that the Ryan Miller trade is a good comparable because as I recall, he wasn't a rental and this deal took place before the cap era became so all-encompassing.) Hellebuyck for Petersen is cap-satisfying for Los Angeles but obviously horribly insufficient on value for the Jets. So we'd offer you our 2023 second (having traded our 2022 and 2023 firsts, we probably won't be keen on trading our 2024) and a choice of Alex Iafallo and one of the following two prospects or both Alex Turcotte and Sean Durzi. I think that's about the most we'd want to give up for one season of Connor Hellebuyck, as excellent and hardy as he is.

The Miller trade although 8 years ago was within the cap era and he was a rental as he signed in Vancouver the following year.

With Helle being a top 5, some would say top 3 goalie in the league a 1st is going to be a must if the pick is a significant part of the return. Probably looking at the Pens or Sens or maybe even wings as better landing spots I guess. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Much appreciated.
OldNYIfan liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll