Forums/NHL Trades

(NSH/COL) - Johansen for Galchenyuk

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:46 p.m.
JT Miller for Hart
Edited Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:52 p.m.
wth is Trotz doing?? I'm openly saying I hate this move. Johansen might not have brought much on the ice, but off of it, he was a fantastic leader and veteran who helped Glass and Novak really settle in. Guys like him boost locker room morale, which translates to more success. Trading him 50% retained to a division rival for basically nothing is an awful choice.
Avs fans are probably laughing at us and I wouldn't blame them one bit.
Trotz's tenure is off to an EGREGIOUS start.
SadSensFan14, mokumboi, sensonfire and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:48 p.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Thats it? Colorado fleeces Nashville in this trade. I would've expected a 3rd or something for Johansson 50% retained...
AK50, mokumboi and Saskleaf liked this.
JT Miller for Hart
Quoting: HockeyScotty
I really want Johansen as our 2C but would not have dared hope for this deal. What a win; and we likely get to keep Toews beyond this year too..

RyJo centering a line of Newhook and Rantanen will be pretty effective as a 2nd line.

3rd line center can now be addressed in free agency fairly cheaply.

ngl, that'll probably be the one of the best 2nd lines in the NHL.
Eissportclub liked this.
Future Ducks legend
Quoting: sensonfire
I disagree.

1. Nashville would have had 2.666 million in dead cap from buying out RoJo versus 4 million from retaining his salary.

2. Nashville gave the decision-making power over buying out RoJo to Colorado.

3. I highly doubt Colorado will decide to buy out RoJo.

2.66 million for 4 years vs 4 million for only two. If Nah is looking to do a quick retool, this was the better option.

Being a small market team, real money likely was a factor too.
IcetoMeetYou33 and Goorts liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:51 p.m.
Quoting: DongLord23
It's better than a buyout.

That was likely the next move if they had no takers.

Seems pretty silly when teams will be fighting to pay compher 1.5 mil more after one year above 40 points for term. I am totally recognizing the age difference but just doesn't seem smart

I guess I need to see what they do with the space
Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:53 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: aadoyle

Either way seems finding a 2c isn't that easy as people thought lul

Who in the world thought such a wacky thing? flushed cheeks

(after a few seconds remembering what site I'm on, it sinks in)

Oh... right. Asked and answered.

tears of joy
Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:54 p.m.
mokumboi
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
If the options were this or a buyout, this is better for Nashville.

Nope. It is not.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:55 p.m.
sensonfire
2.66 million for 4 years vs 4 million for only two. If Nah is looking to do a quick retool, this was the better option.

Being a small market team, real money likely was a factor too.

1. And Nashville just gave a player from their core group to a division rival for free.

2. A fair deal for RoJo with 50% retention would be a 2nd round pick, not Galchenyuk's signing rights.
Goorts liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 1:56 p.m.
Go leafs go
Wow, I did not think Nashville was that eager to dump Johansen. Hard not to view it as an avs win.
sensonfire liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
14m in dead cap
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Fun Fact:

Every time Galchenyuk has been acquired, the team trading for him has lost the trade.

The Wild acquiring Galchenyuk, Addison, and the pick used to select Lambos for Zucker isn't a loss for them, but to be fair Galchenyuk was mostly just sent along to make the salary work.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: BCAPP
Seems pretty silly when teams will be fighting to pay compher 1.5 mil more after one year above 40 points for term. I am totally recognizing the age difference but just doesn't seem smart

I guess I need to see what they do with the space

Compher is coming off a career year and Johansen just had one of the worst year of his career. He got outplayed by Thomas Novak & Cody Glass.

Johansen could bounce back, but I feel like a lot of people in this thread don't know how bad he was this year.

Preds obviously want cap space now.
Buster_Bennett liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
Bedard23
This trade really doesn’t make the avs the better team but since they got the preds to retain 50% for free I like this more for them
Jun. 24, 2023 at 2:22 p.m.
Future Ducks legend
1. And Nashville just gave a player from their core group to a division rival for free.

2. A fair deal for RoJo with 50% retention would be a 2nd round pick, not Galchenyuk's signing rights.

Well, apparently not, because this trade happened. Trotz apparently had enough reason to move RyJo that he took this option OVER a buyout.

I think you need to reframe how you are looking at the trade from "Colorado fleeced Nashville" to "Colorado was the only taker for RyJo, even at half salary, so Nashville avoided a buyout"
Jun. 24, 2023 at 2:30 p.m.
sensonfire
Well, apparently not, because this trade happened. Trotz apparently had enough reason to move RyJo that he took this option OVER a buyout.

I think you need to reframe how you are looking at the trade from "Colorado fleeced Nashville" to "Colorado was the only taker for RyJo, even at half salary, so Nashville avoided a buyout"

The better decision for Nashville would be exactly that.

A buyout.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 2:33 p.m.
Banned
I disagree.

1. Nashville would have had 2.666 million in dead cap from buying out RoJo versus 4 million from retaining his salary.

2. Nashville gave the decision-making power over buying out RoJo to Colorado.

3. I highly doubt Colorado will decide to buy out RoJo.

Nashville wont be a contender in the next 2 years. Years 3-4 is what they are thinking to use this new cap flexibility. Its a rebuild move, cost cutting move. There is no loss here. Its a sunk cost on Ryjo.

Fair and realistic are two different things. Yes, in theory that may be fair but it takes another team to offer that! Its clear the market has no takers right now for salary beyond this season unless at a massive discount.
AlCanal, Buster_Bennett and Goorts liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: JayTea
The Wild acquiring Galchenyuk, Addison, and the pick used to select Lambos for Zucker isn't a loss for them, but to be fair Galchenyuk was mostly just sent along to make the salary work.

That's definitely fair, but the best player from that trade so far is Zucker. Galchenyuk busted, Lambos is 20 and hasn't impressed as much as he should for a 1st round pick. Addison for Zucker seems fair.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 3:03 p.m.
sensonfire
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great
Nashville wont be a contender in the next 2 years. Years 3-4 is what they are thinking to use this new cap flexibility. Its a rebuild move, cost cutting move. There is no loss here. Its a sunk cost on Ryjo.

Fair and realistic are two different things. Yes, in theory that may be fair but it takes another team to offer that! Its clear the market has no takers right now for salary beyond this season unless at a massive discount.

1. In years 3-4, the salary cap will be north of 90 million and any cap hit incurred from buying out RoJo would be a drop in the bucket.

2. Losing RoJo should be called what it is: A loss.

3. It's a sunk cost that didn't have to happen and Colorado reaps the benefits.

4. If nobody wanted to pay a 2nd for Rojo at 50% retention, then Nashville shouldn't have traded RoJo. It's that simple.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: AK50
wth is Trotz doing?? I'm openly saying I hate this move. Johansen might not have brought much on the ice, but off of it, he was a fantastic leader and veteran who helped Glass and Novak really settle in. Guys like him boost locker room morale, which translates to more success. Trading him 50% retained to a division rival for basically nothing is an awful choice.
Avs fans are probably laughing at us and I wouldn't blame them one bit.
Trotz's tenure is off to an EGREGIOUS start.

Trotz knows better than anyone. Addition by subtraction. Yes they're down $4M. But they're also up $4M and have a top 9 spot for someone he deems more important.
Andy_Dick and Goorts liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Koskinen_The_Great

Some people can't weigh the human element of a locker room and personal. Sometimes you are better off without the negatives which are apparently more valuable than $8M over 2 years in this case.
Andy_Dick liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
GM of the Year
There is no way hell Nashville lost this trade. They were competing with the Flyers who are trying to move Kevin Hayes and come out ditching $4M cap for the next two years. A buyout would have extended the cap hit an additional two years at 1.6M. Once again the Flyers are just not able to keep pace with their competitors. Nashville WINS BIG TIME.
Andy_Dick and Buster_Bennett liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 4:17 p.m.
Fair deal.

Nashville is saving $4 million in cap space and giving up a player who is already 30 and coming off a major injury and their worst year of their career. If they bounce back, then the Avs win. But, and this is a big butt, if he merely stays the same, then it is a fair trade. Another injury and drop in production means Nashville wins by dodging a bullet.
Buster_Bennett liked this.
Jun. 24, 2023 at 4:31 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: JayTea

It will likely end up being a fair deal, but Addison hasn't been much of a gamechanger for Minnesota. Zucker has made a difference in Pittsburgh
Jun. 24, 2023 at 5:00 p.m.
Go leafs go
Fun Fact:

Every time Galchenyuk has been acquired, the team trading for him has lost the trade.

I wouldn’t say the leafs lost their Galchenyuk trade but it was the most minor trade he’s been involved in so who really cares lol
Jun. 24, 2023 at 5:01 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Am I crazy to say Johansson is Canadian? If so, Burnaby Joe strikes again!
Jun. 24, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
Huskies
Fun Fact:

yes all but the domi trade

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit