Forums/Armchair-GM

It Starts With Jiricek

Created by: Trevor31lv
Team: 2023-24 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 8, 2023
Published: Jul. 8, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
IS THIS ENOUGH STEVE? Context in comments.
Trades
CBJ
  1. Nylander, William
Additional Details:
Resigned at 12mil AAV because no one wants to play in Columbus obviously
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,500,000$83,583,199$0$2,700,000-$83,199
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$9,750,000$9,750,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C, RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,600,000$1,600,000
LW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,525,000$1,525,000
LW, C, RW
RFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LW, C
RFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$762,500$762,500
LW, C
RFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,725,000$4,725,000
LD
UFA - 2
$6,250,000$6,250,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 8
$5,400,000$5,400,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$1,050,000$1,050,000
G
RFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 3
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RD
RFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$9,583,333$9,583,333
LD
NMC
UFA - 5
$2,333,333$2,333,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
$975,000$975,000
RW, C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:05 p.m.
Context:

https://youtu.be/H5K0Bq_8_eU?t=46m06s
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:07 p.m.
LosPatos
I can’t imagine Columbus would want to move Jiricek
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
No thanks from Columbus, no need to blow up your salary structure for another winger.
Indy liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:08 p.m.
Quoting: LosPatos
I can’t imagine Columbus would want to move Jiricek

We don't in the slightest. I'm making fun of the braindead Dangle clip
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
I really like Steve and love his passion. But he is wildly overvaluing nylander. Like astronomically. Just like most fans overvalue pending ufas.

I thought that whole segment was kinda crappy to do tbh. Doesn’t understand our situation at all and just thinks we would throw away our rebuild for ANOTHER OVERPAID winger.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Quoting: Trevor31lv
Context:

https://youtu.be/H5K0Bq_8_eU?t=46m06s

i honestly think dangle is baiting for engagement here.
i get that a lot of the leafs media have a penchant to overvaluing their players but that's just beyond the pale, no way steve actually believes that
Trevor31lv, Friendly_Cannon, PantsOffnJacket and 3 others liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: The_Cannon
I really like Steve and love his passion. But he is wildly overvaluing nylander. Like astronomically. Just like most fans overvalue pending ufas.

I thought that whole segment was kinda crappy to do tbh. Doesn’t understand our situation at all and just thinks we would throw away our rebuild for ANOTHER OVERPAID winger.

Yeah, it was such a dumb segment. I watched their pod the entire 21-22 season and thought it was a really high quality product, but hadn't for a while prior to hearing Steve said this. Really off the deep end with this one and clearly no understanding of Columbus's situation.
Friendly_Cannon liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:13 p.m.
Quoting: Tintin
i honestly think dangle is baiting for engagement here.
i get that a lot of the leafs media have a penchant to overvaluing their players but that's just beyond the pale, no way steve actually believes that

I could agree if I'd seen it anywhere, but the Clio was literally impossible to find without going nearly an hour into the podcast. No shorts, clips on Twitter, anything. Just a 1 off, dead serious mention of it here. Doesn't really make sense for it to be for engagement given that.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:15 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
I could agree if I'd seen it anywhere, but the Clio was literally impossible to find without going nearly an hour into the podcast. No shorts, clips on Twitter, anything. Just a 1 off, dead serious mention of it here. Doesn't really make sense for it to be for engagement given that.

damn. you might be right then
Trevor31lv liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:19 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think he meant if it was just him if it was like a 1 for 1

All negotiations go like that u start with the big fish then move down

Columbus has a lot of assets rn and the moves they have been making imply win now

Could see them make a big swing for Willy but they would probs want to send Peeke over their young RD prospect. Unless they really be bold lul
Trevor31lv liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:23 p.m.
Lol why would you pay that much ????
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:24 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle

I could see a deal around Sillinger + Peeke and picks

I'd tend to think the wording woulda been different based on how people usually talk, but definitely not impossible he meant it like that. Regardless, it's still super ignorant of CBJ's needs to suggest that in any capacity. I'm not reading into it too deep though, just wanted to make a joke post about it haha.
aadoyle, pocke and Tintin liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
Quoting: GeneralLandro
Lol why would you pay that much ????

Dangle said a nylander to cbj trade *stsrts* with jiricek. Implying much more. It was an asinine take.
Ritzy and Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:26 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer

I'm going to agree and disagree with you on this one.

Steve certainly did not take into account that CBJ is not going to move Jiricek, nor is a winger first on their priority list. So Nylander to CBJ doesn't make a lot of, if any, sense.

I don't think he's necessarily wrong in what Nylander can return in value. More so because if they trade him this offseason, whoever gets him will get a 40 goal scorer at under 7M for a year. But of course the big extension will come after next season.

He does have some wild takes sometimes.
Trevor31lv liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:27 p.m.
Dangle said a nylander to cbj trade *stsrts* with jiricek. Implying much more. It was an asinine take.

That dude is dumb
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:33 p.m.

Columbus has a lot of assets rn and the moves they have been making imply win now

Could see them make a big swing for Willy but they would probs want to send Peeke over their young RD prospect. Unless they really be bold lul

Sadly he profoundly said “starts” like 3 times. Clearly implying a lot more needed to be added He was clearly upset with the reporting he wants that much money and overreacted imo.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:36 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Sadly he profoundly said “starts” like 3 times. Clearly implying a lot more needed to be added He was clearly upset with the reporting he wants that much money and overreacted imo.

Personally im surprised he went with Jireck as when I look at Columbus they loaded with Center prospects and Toronto one could argue could use someone for the future

Kind of like what we saw WPG do where they moved PLD and brought in Vilardi and others u know that stuff
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:38 p.m.
Quoting: Ritzy

Steve certainly did not take into account that CBJ is not going to move Jiricek, nor is a winger first on their priority list. So Nylander to CBJ doesn't make a lot of, if any, sense.

I don't think he's necessarily wrong in what Nylander can return in value. More so because if they trade him this offseason, whoever gets him will get a 40 goal scorer at under 7M for a year. But of course the big extension will come after next season.

Yeah, I'd definitely agree with this. Nylander is a hell of a player and I think he's fair in his asks on a contract and Toronto would be fair to ask this kind of value (provided he comes with an extension and isn't a rental for the acquiring team). Take Jiricek's value and have a package from a team that makes more sense to want Nylander and I think it's definitely fair.

Only reason Columbus would have any interest is if he's going to be a full time C, but that just hasn't been the case, so them even suggesting CBJ is kinda wild.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:40 p.m.

I think nylander wouod return alot of value but nobody is moving a player like jiricek for one season of a cheap nylander. Other players I’ve seen in trades are like wright, nemec, Hudson, Johnson, Johnston (Dallas) and he just isn’t returning a blue chip guy like any of those.

A 10 million dollar nylander isn’t worth much in comparison.
Look at jt mjller. Great player worth alot before his extension. Now, it seems like they might get a first and a small add or contract swap.
And don’t get me wrong I love Steve, but some of his (and jesses) takes on cbj are at times uninformed and boarder line insulting to cbj and other smaller markets.

Now I could see a return of a first, solid prospect (former first rounder type) and a 40-50 pt roster player in his prime.
Civil_Eng_PE liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Yeah, I'd definitely agree with this. Nylander is a hell of a player and I think he's fair in his asks on a contract and Toronto would be fair to ask this kind of value (provided he comes with an extension and isn't a rental for the acquiring team). Take Jiricek's value and have a package from a team that makes more sense to want Nylander and I think it's definitely fair.

Only reason Columbus would have any interest is if he's going to be a full time C, but that just hasn't been the case, so them even suggesting CBJ is kinda wild.

Toronto tried Nylander at C briefly, but it didn't make a lot of sense. On the wing is where he is meant to be.
Trevor31lv liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:41 p.m.
Personally im surprised he went with Jireck as when I look at Columbus they loaded with Center prospects and Toronto one could argue could use someone for the future

Kind of like what we saw WPG do where they moved PLD and brought in Vilardi and others u know that stuff

He’s a Walsh client and they have him on their payroll so he comes up a decent bit on their show.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:44 p.m.
Leafs Sufferer
I think nylander wouod return alot of value but nobody is moving a player like jiricek for one season of a cheap nylander. Other players I’ve seen in trades are like wright, nemec, Hudson, Johnson, Johnston (Dallas) and he just isn’t returning a blue chip guy like any of those.

A 10 million dollar nylander isn’t worth much in comparison.
Look at jt mjller. Great player worth alot before his extension. Now, it seems like they might get a first and a small add or contract swap.
And don’t get me wrong I love Steve, but some of his (and jesses) takes on cbj are at times uninformed and boarder line insulting to cbj and other smaller markets.

Now I could see a return of a first, solid prospect (former first rounder type) and a 40-50 pt roster player in his prime.

Nylander asked for more than 10M, he is going to get less than that. I'm expecting in the 9.25-9.5M range. Seems to be some conflicting opinions on whether that would be long term or a 3-4 year deal. I don't really know at this point.

I think that if TOR does decide to move him, it won't be for a package that includes picks and prospects. In my opinion, it's going to be a higher end defenseman that is similar in value. Which is why I think we are seeing so many Hanifin/Pesce deals involving Nylander on here. The values in these trades on here are pretty crazy, but who knows at this point. I can't see TOR trying to get younger to that extent while still in win now mode.
Trevor31lv and Friendly_Cannon liked this.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:47 p.m.
Toronto tried Nylander at C briefly, but it didn't make a lot of sense. On the wing is where he is meant to be.

Yep, it's the same situation as Schmaltz, who was a semi-popular to CBJ target (except he's not as good and cost controlled) where people think he CAN be a C, but there's just no track record of him doing it effectively in the NHL. Way better wingers that wouldn't make sense to put out of the position they've been playing for years. I actually LOVE Schmaltz as a player, but Columbus needs a center and he hasn't done it in the NHL to the same level as he's played winger.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:56 p.m.
Dolzhenkov Is Coming
On top of this stupidity, I took exception to them retroactively saying the Gaudreau signing was an overpay. He took a year and $750k less than what was on the table in Calgary and is making almost $2M/year less than Panarin. Everyone was ranting about how he took less to go to Columbus than other options when he signed. That contract wasn't an overpay and they're just pulling the same superiority complex bs that people in Canadian markets so often do with the Jackets.
Jul. 8, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
Quoting: dk325
On top of this stupidity, I took exception to them retroactively saying the Gaudreau signing was an overpay. He took a year and $750k less than what was on the table in Calgary and is making almost $2M/year less than Panarin. Everyone was ranting about how he took less to go to Columbus than other options when he signed. That contract wasn't an overpay and they're just pulling the same superiority complex bs that people in Canadian markets so often do with the Jackets.

The Gaudreau erasure has actually been WILD. I was never huge on him (my opinion was probably slightly low than consensus at any given time), but the popular opinion about the quality of player he is and how it's changed the last year is insane. Just cause he played a year on a horrible team killed by injuries he's getting left off top 10 LW lists now??? Can we get real.
dk325 and Civil_Eng_PE liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll