SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Toronto Maple Leafs signed Ilya Samsonov (1 Year / $3,550,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:35 p.m.
Edited Jul. 24, 2023 at 11:16 a.m.
Quoting: Caniac2000
Okay ... Or they could move Nylander and get under the cap barely and not gut half the roster?

- Muzzin to LTIR
- Murray buyout
- 20 player roster
- Zero roster change

OmG yOu GuTtEd HaLf ThE rOsTeR !!!!!!!!!
Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
Book em, Danno
Quoting: aadoyle
Its a Tree W for the fact he didnt give in to Sammy's demands and pay him 4.9m like Dubas would have

He is letting the rest of the team know I dont go by your numbers I go by mine or let an arb decide what u get

Seems like you're making several leaps of faith here. (1) Saying Dubas would just given him anything, and (2) already acting as if Treliving is some kind of badass who can strong-arm anyone into accepting his terms.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 8:41 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: drewjenkins
- Muzzin to LTIR
- Murray buyout
- 21 player roster
- Zero roster change

Murray Buyout you would still be 3+ Million above the cap. You don't get that by having a 21 Man roster.
Juraj_Cauzuki and HelmutCool liked this.
Jul. 23, 2023 at 10:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jul. 23, 2023 at 11:36 p.m.
Quoting: Eddie_Spaghetti
Seems like you're making several leaps of faith here. (1) Saying Dubas would just given him anything, and (2) already acting as if Treliving is some kind of badass who can strong-arm anyone into accepting his terms.

Have u not seen Dubas's last 2 big goalie contracts

Mrazek 3.8m x 3 years

Jarry 5.5m x 5 years

He would have gave Sammy 4.9m as he already gave him the discount deal
Jul. 24, 2023 at 1:26 a.m.
Kansler
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Murray Buyout you would still be 3+ Million above the cap. You don't get that by having a 21 Man roster.

With Murray buyout 2.7M over the cap. Ditching Liljegren -> 1.3M over. Sending Pontus down to Marlies -> 0.5M over with an 21 man roster. Well I guess you can roll with 12+6+2 until someone with bigger caphit gets injured....
Jul. 24, 2023 at 1:49 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Would have like to have seen longer term but that costs $$$$. Thanks Dubas for Murray and overpaid signings

The LEAFS might look a lot different in 24/25. Murray and Brodie will be gone (maybe even this year), in addition Domi, Bertuzzi, Matthews, Nylander, Klingberg, Lafferty and Samsonov are all upcoming UFAs
Jul. 24, 2023 at 3:12 a.m.
Book em, Danno
Have u not seen Dubas's last 2 big goalie contracts

Mrazek 3.8m x 3 years

Jarry 5.5m x 5 years

He would have gave Sammy 4.9m as he already gave him the discount deal

We'll see how the Jarry contract looks in a few years. Jarry's problem is staying healthy. He's been an all-star caliber goalie when he's healthy, though.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 6:17 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Quoting: MatthewsFan
I’d absolutely would be ok with TOR taking a risk on his potential and looked to have gotten Sammy on a 2-3 year deal at 4-4.5 deal.

What is the alternative now, he replicates next season, something I think we all wish for, and you are now looking at 4-5 years at 5+. Something he’d easily get on the open market.

I don’t know about you but I’m certainly tired of having to guess who our #1 is every second offseason. I do like Woll but I’m not ready to call him a starter yet

They're already going to have a hard enough time shedding the 2-3M in cap after Murray is LTIR'ed or traded, why make that problem worse to have Sammy for one more year when you can sign him to what he's looking for with all the cap space in the world next season?

Sammy missed some time this past season with a knee injury as well.

There's maybe a handful of teams in this league that are solidified with their goaltending night in and night out. I'm not ready to call Woll a starter yet either, but now is a great time to get him some more starts and see where you are at. Maybe he seizes the opportunity and you can look for a couple of veteran cheap goaltenders next season rather than 4.5-5M for Sammy.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 7:57 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
Awesome 100k less than expected ruling. Common Trev W

Common? Ok.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 8:10 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Ritzy
They're already going to have a hard enough time shedding the 2-3M in cap after Murray is LTIR'ed or traded, why make that problem worse to have Sammy for one more year when you can sign him to what he's looking for with all the cap space in the world next season?

Sammy missed some time this past season with a knee injury as well.

There's maybe a handful of teams in this league that are solidified with their goaltending night in and night out. I'm not ready to call Woll a starter yet either, but now is a great time to get him some more starts and see where you are at. Maybe he seizes the opportunity and you can look for a couple of veteran cheap goaltenders next season rather than 4.5-5M for Sammy.

Why make it harder? Well that’s on Treliving for making this mess and putting TOR so far over the cap that IMO the only realistic way of getting out of this is moving Nylander (weakens the FWD depth) or Brodie (weakens the defensive depth). But that’s a whole different argument.

You are right. There is only a handful of teams that have solidified there goaltending night in night out. I wouldn’t want to commit big money on a long-term deal to any goalie unless they were named Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Saros, and Oettinger.

Which leads us to I am not even comfortable at all giving Samsonov a large long term deal next season (4/5x5+) Something he most likely will command especially considering it’s basically him and Hellebuyck as the only realistic FA options next year. The market next year is pretty much garbage.

Treliving had an great opportunity to get a potential top 10 goalie on a 2-3 year at a modest cap hit (yes I consider anything under 5 million for an NHL starter modest) to run in tandem with Woll for the next couple of seasons. That would have been perfect.

Instead we get to hope Woll is that guy and find another cheap reclamation project to pair with him.

I guess I’m just higher on Samsonov than most Leaf fans. I personally don’t see him regressing next year, on the contrary, I believe he will solidify himself as a top 10 goalie and get paid accordingly.

Or maybe I’m full of **** and Samsonov regresses next season as a full-time No. 1 and the Leafs decide to move in a different direction.
Time will tell.

And for a goalie who had a knee injury in November and missed 12 games, he certainly didn’t let it effect his play coming back.

F1uubpeaQAowUI5.jpg
Jul. 24, 2023 at 9:16 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer
Why make it harder? Well that’s on Treliving for making this mess and putting TOR so far over the cap that IMO the only realistic way of getting out of this is moving Nylander (weakens the FWD depth) or Brodie (weakens the defensive depth). But that’s a whole different argument.

You are right. There is only a handful of teams that have solidified there goaltending night in night out. I wouldn’t want to commit big money on a long-term deal to any goalie unless they were named Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Saros, and Oettinger.

Which leads us to I am not even comfortable at all giving Samsonov a large long term deal next season (4/5x5+) Something he most likely will command especially considering it’s basically him and Hellebuyck as the only realistic FA options next year. The market next year is pretty much garbage.

Treliving had an great opportunity to get a potential top 10 goalie on a 2-3 year at a modest cap hit (yes I consider anything under 5 million for an NHL starter modest) to run in tandem with Woll for the next couple of seasons. That would have been perfect.

Instead we get to hope Woll is that guy and find another cheap reclamation project to pair with him.

I guess I’m just higher on Samsonov than most Leaf fans. I personally don’t see him regressing next year, on the contrary, I believe he will solidify himself as a top 10 goalie and get paid accordingly.

Or maybe I’m full of **** and Samsonov regresses next season as a full-time No. 1 and the Leafs decide to move in a different direction.
Time will tell.

And for a goalie who had a knee injury in November and missed 12 games, he certainly didn’t let it effect his play coming back.

F1uubpeaQAowUI5.jpg

Treliving is responsible for very few contracts on this roster, hard to say this is "his" mess to clean up. He may have jumped the gun on a couple of guys (Klingberg/Domi), but we saw how quickly free agents were scooped up this year. He had areas that needed addressing, and needed to get it done before there were no options left.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 9:34 a.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: Ritzy
Treliving is responsible for very few contracts on this roster, hard to say this is "his" mess to clean up. He may have jumped the gun on a couple of guys (Klingberg/Domi), but we saw how quickly free agents were scooped up this year. He had areas that needed addressing, and needed to get it done before there were no options left.

Well that “jumped the gun” is costing the Leafs a little more than 7 million against the cap. I look forward to seeing how happy you are with how Treliving gets the team under the cap.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
Quoting: drewjenkins
- Muzzin to LTIR
- Murray buyout
- 21 player roster
- Zero roster change

Still over the cap with a 21 man roster
KSIxSKULLS and Juraj_Cauzuki liked this.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 12:25 p.m.
lottery team fan
i'm whelmed

takes him right to UFA tho
Jul. 24, 2023 at 12:37 p.m.
torontos finest
would've preferred 2 or 3 years at this aav.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
So instead of locking him up on a 2-3 year deal this year at a modest cap hit

Two words: Petr Mrázek.
Jul. 24, 2023 at 7:00 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: kaljakori
Two words: Petr Mrázek.

Two words: Alexandar Georgiev
Jul. 24, 2023 at 7:09 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: mondo
would've preferred 2 or 3 years at this aav.

Per the Arb rules couldnt get it which kind of sucks as if he was 1 year younger would have got 2 years. But lets see hes good we can give him a 2 year bigger deal

He sucks bye
Jan. 1 at 6:36 p.m.
Per the Arb rules couldnt get it which kind of sucks as if he was 1 year younger would have got 2 years. But lets see hes good we can give him a 2 year bigger deal

He sucks bye

I came by here to see what people thought of this deal when it was first signed. I remember liking it myself and that seems to be the overwhelming opinion. However, it has turned out poorly.

"He sucks bye" appears to be what happened.

By the way, I accidentally hit the report button instead of the quote button. I really hope the mods realize that was a mistake and no one gets punished.
F50marco liked this.
Jan. 1 at 8:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CSStrowbridge
I came by here to see what people thought of this deal when it was first signed. I remember liking it myself and that seems to be the overwhelming opinion. However, it has turned out poorly.

"He sucks bye" appears to be what happened.

By the way, I accidentally hit the report button instead of the quote button. I really hope the mods realize that was a mistake and no one gets punished.

In general goalies are voodo. Like what were seeing this year is just everyone having struggles the league SV I believe is 0.899 or something rn its nuts

But at the same time with him I see the potential to rebound. Hes lost in his head rn and needs a reset

Like what we did with Campbell and giving him a break. Send him to the Marlies. Let him play some games against easier competition put up better results, grow in confidence, and then come back. Or hey if not like Quick can also explore moving him in a deal for someone/s better (Gav + Korpisalo for 1st + 3rd and Quick)
CSStrowbridge liked this.
Jan. 1 at 9:13 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
For the Leafs sake and Samsonv's, I hope he rebounds this season, but I can't see it happen.
Leafs are just "hoping" right now, that Jones can hold up and Hildeby can be an NHLer immediately. Just not many options on the trade market.
Jan. 2 at 8:38 a.m.
WentWughes
With how bad he's been, it makes you think what was said in the Attribution hearing that destroyed his confidence. You don't have seasons back to back like this without some sort of issue.
Jan. 3 at 2:35 p.m.
I Love J Boqvist
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
With how bad he's been, it makes you think what was said in the Attribution hearing that destroyed his confidence. You don't have seasons back to back like this without some sort of issue.

Didn't do that to swayman tho
Saskleaf liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit