SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Aug. 7, 2023 at 10:53 a.m.
Edited Aug. 7, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
The offseason is back to being boring again, so I figured I'd try and give people the opportunity to brag about the NHL players they have met. Here is my resume:

- Claude Giroux in Hearst, Ontario
- Chris Simon in Longlac, Ontario (Funnily enough, he ran a hockey school about anti-bullying)

Some honorable mentions:
- Ryan Graves' dad (Works for a local mine)
- Tyler Tucker's aunt (She taught me math)

Any cool NHL player stories on the forum?

My uncle is a ref. Other family members in player development. Growing up I’d go to games way before the public and could go anywhere, which I did.

When I was 12 I was running around the arena before the game and peed my pants super bad - just couldn’t find a bathroom and such. I ran into Jagr who I hadn’t met, he was super nice to me randomly, did not mention my piss pants. The giveaway was a calendar, and he grabbed one - maybe I had one? I can’t remember, and had everybody in the locker room sign it for me without me asking or anything. I still have it and the signature of like 20 other dudes he took it to individually for me. (Including Mario)

I do not remember if I stayed for that game with the piss pants. I also drank a ton of alcohol earlier in life and that screwed my long term memory, but I’ll never forget how nice Jagr was. That calendar is the only autograph I’ve ever saved, and is probably the single document I’ve kept the longest besides my birth certificate.

Then I dated into an ownership family. That didn’t last long as the relationship part of the ordeal sucked. Lasted a few seasons tho. Got to again just go wherever I wanted in the arena anytime; but now older so I didn’t go around the players as much. Plus the locker room is just a bunch of half to full naked dudes all preoccupied with stuff, weird place to go as a teenager. My priorities were which box had the free food selection I wanted that night. Weird ass family. I’d tell stories about this but I’m not gonna blast some powerful ppl online for no reason. That being said I’ve seen true evil. Mostly with this life perk I’d go to the vip lounges after the game, whether it be the one in the stadium or the ones at the bars. For a lot of this I wasn’t 21 yet, didn’t matter if you were “with the team” or going to a private section of the bar. Most nights it was free. I guess the team paid? I don’t know. We’d just go behind the bar ourselves, or some of the vips just had stocked fridges you’d go to. We’d (including the girl who’s part of the ownership fam) follow the players randomly and watch every single girl hit on them. There are lines. Sometimes there’s literally 25-50+. It’s silly. They’re all fun but if you’re not on the team then you aren’t gonna chill with them, and I never tried to like go bro up with them, but I was around most nights with a little group that would go to the game then get drunk after. We all “knew” each other. Occasionally I’d bring a friend and take them down to the locker room, get somebody to come out and sign a jersey, have a quick chat, etc. Alexander Steen was always very kind to me. Tyson Nash tried to engage with my girlfriend, would stare at her in the seats occasionally during the game. Like middle of the second period I’m sitting there into the game, Nash is absolutely not paying any attention to the game even tho he’s literally on the ice: he’s staring at my gf pre faceoff. We’d sit anywhere but usually right behind the bench - maybe 4 or 5 rows, or a box. I’m not mad about it, but at the time I was and Nash kinda sucked so I let him have it a bit, anyway she sucked, he can have her. I don’t think he was successful but I don’t think she would admit if he was. In hindsight these were Pronger years and I can say I never saw that dude out partying ever. Not once.

Side note, in stl cigarette smokers used to get a hand stamp. Even before the first period if you wanted a smoke you got a stamp and went out. With my insider connections I found the stamps they bought, and bought a set for myself. For about 5 years post insider relationship the nhl was free as I’m fully capable of stamping my own hand. Then I got season tickets.

Pro tip: if you aren’t a lunatic and just want to share the ice with some players - get beer league good and attend a lot of open skates and stick and pucks. If you do this at-least in the regions I’ve lived you’ll run into players eventually. Ps: go to the rinks in the nice part of town. If you’re a goalie you’ll get to face a few shots. My friends kids are kinda into hockey, we skate about once a month, they’ve gotten to say hi to quite a few people over the years.
NorthernLeafsFan05, Sharkie69, Tintin and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 2:23 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
The offseason is back to being boring again, so I figured I'd try and give people the opportunity to brag about the NHL players they have met. Here is my resume:

- Chris Simon in Longlac, Ontario (Funnily enough, he ran a hockey school about anti-bullying)

Some honorable mentions:

Posted before, but any-hoooo:
Alex Newhook's dad laid me out bigtime in UNI-hockey when I tried the Gretzky wrap-around from the "office" - I did not fully get the license plate of that truck!!...
Teddy Purcell's uncle & I played high school soccer/hockey together.
Got a cool wave & a laugh out of Wendel Clark in Maple Leaf Gardens tunnels when he was on IR.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 2:56 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts

Some honorable mentions:

One time, I went to a Hometown Hockey event right near where I live. Darryl Sittler was there signing autographs, so I brought a hockey stick for him to sign. The line was very long, so I waited a few minutes. Then, some people running the Hometown Hockey said that Sittler was leaving soon, and they made a cut-off line so a few people could get autographs before he left. I was right behind the cut-off line, so I couldn't get his autograph. It was a shame, too. I was going to send the stick to my grandma out in BC. Darryl Sittler was her favourite player.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:44 p.m.
WentWughes
Montreal tweeted thanking Pitlick and Hoffman for what they've contributed, but they haven't acknowledged DeSmith or Petry welcoming them to the team nor has there been a press conference with Hughes/Gorton. That's very odd. Another trade must be coming.
DucharmetheDOMinator, SwaymanForVezina, Rolfadinho and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:47 p.m.
WentWughes

Some honorable mentions:

- Nathan Beaulieu in Fall River Nova Scotia (Use to be my Neighbour)
- Devin Shore in Chester Nova Scotia (My Grandmother's neighbour, his summer cottage)
- Logan Shaw (Met him while getting Ice Cream in Bedford Nova Scotia)

Honorable Mentions
- Pretty much every Moosehead's player between 2014-2019. A close family friend was a Bullet Family for the Mooseheads so they had a revolving door with Moosehead players coming in and out, favorite guy I've ever met was probably Xavier Parent.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Some honorable mentions:

Id also like to add these 2, although I have no personally encountered them:

- My Grandpa grew up with Bobby Orr. The two were pretty good friends
- My boss used to employ some of the Staal brothers
Aug. 7, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: IconicHawk
My dad’s godmother is cousins with Glenn Hall

I’ve mentioned this before somewhere, but this is where I came up with my username on this site
Aug. 7, 2023 at 5:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I think the funniest thing people dont realize on the Karlsson trade is in the end MTL walked away with 2 top 4 Dman from Pitt for free lul

As they basically gave Matheson away for nothing then got Petry back without spending much if anything
Aug. 7, 2023 at 5:49 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: aadoyle
I think the funniest thing people dont realize on the Karlsson trade is in the end MTL walked away with 2 top 4 Dman from Pitt for free lul

As they basically gave Matheson away for nothing then got Petry back without spending much if anything

The official trade:

Mike Matheson, Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith and a draft pick to Montreal

FOR DRUMROLL PLEASE

Rem Pitlick
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 5:51 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The official trade:

FOR DRUMROLL PLEASE

Rem Pitlick

I think they also got a C level prospect who I remember was way overhyped with Poulin forget his name. But yea not a good look lul

And man Pitt misses playoffs after this trade its gonna get ugly fast
Aug. 7, 2023 at 6:12 p.m.
The official trade:

FOR DRUMROLL PLEASE

Rem Pitlick

It’s to MTL: Mike Matheson, Jeff Petry (slightly retained), Casey Desmith, 2025 2nd, Nathan Legare

To Pit: 1 year of Jeff Petry, 1 year of Ryan Poehling, REM Pitlick
capsfan2121 liked this.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 7:25 p.m.
Jinx god

Some honorable mentions:

I’ve met Charlie Bourgeois and Philippe Myers at conditioning camps. I’ve also met Lukas Cormier (Vegas Golden Knights prospect), he lives not to far from where I live. His uncle coached me this year, he once came to our local ODR the year before he got drafted.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 7:35 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
The official trade:

FOR DRUMROLL PLEASE

Rem Pitlick

From a Canadiens perspective its:

Matheson + Petry 25% retained + DeSmith + 2025 2nd + Legare + 4th

For

1 year of Petry + 1 year of Poehling + Mike Hoffman + Rem Pitlick.
Aug. 8, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
What in tarnation

Some honorable mentions:

Never met any player personally since I live in Europe, but I've played hockey once with Andrew Brunette's stick for few minutes tears of joy

He gave it to a friend of mine back when Wild was playing a game here in 2011 I think.
Aug. 8, 2023 at 11:43 a.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Edited Aug. 9, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.

Some honorable mentions:

- Basically the entire Maple Leafs team (Came to practice at my local hockey rink)
- Brock Boeser (Vancouver Island)
- Ron Hainsey (Dated one of his daughters for 2 years)

I’d like to add a few people that I haven’t personally encountered:

- Randy Buridage lived with my dad for a few years
- My dad went to the same high school as the Stall brothers

EDIT: Completely forgot that my Chris Pronger also went to his high school
Aug. 8, 2023 at 4:15 p.m.
Bedard23
What’s your hottest take for next season:

Mine is: While they do experience a drop off, it’s no a large enough drop for Boston and they still make the playoffs as the third seed in the Atlantic
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Aug. 8, 2023 at 4:54 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork

Mine is: While they do experience a drop off, it’s no a large enough drop for Boston and they still make the playoffs as the third seed in the Atlantic

Mine is: Literally the same as yours
Aug. 8, 2023 at 5:58 p.m.
stop daddy it hurts

Three Hot Takes:

1. After all the rebuilding, the Buffalo Sabres will still miss the playoffs this season.
2. By some sort of fluke, the St. Louis Blues will make the playoffs this season.
3. Alex Ovechkin will not surpass 35 goals this season.
Aug. 8, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier

1. Tampa Bay struggles hard, and barely gets in or Misses Playoffs
2. Tim Stutzle hits 100 Points
3. Farabee is the Flyers biggest breakout player from last year to this year. (Frost is 2nd)
Aug. 8, 2023 at 8:49 p.m.

I got 2:

1. Arizona not only makes the playoffs, they start the playoffs with home ice advantage.

2. Toronto faces Pittsburgh in the playoffs for just the ultimate meme potential.
Db1899, Tintin and Scooter81 liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 1:34 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I got 2:

1. Arizona not only makes the playoffs, they start the playoffs with home ice advantage.

2. Toronto faces Pittsburgh in the playoffs for just the ultimate meme potential.

Man I dont want Toronto to bully a senior home lul

Would be funny but still
Aug. 9, 2023 at 2:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Kind of surprised Jones ended up in Toronto

Well its good to have a #3 who can play games if need be and not have to go to 2 rookie goalies with 0 NHL experience
Aug. 9, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Coyotes really need to give up the stay in Arizona act and move on

Its getting ridiculous

Especially with the success we have seen with the last 2 expansions
Aug. 9, 2023 at 6:18 p.m.
Edited Aug. 9, 2023 at 9:20 p.m.
Wouldn’t be much of a fan if I couldn’t look at my team (stl) and think they’re playoff worthy, bubble at least.

But then you have to start picking teams who were in, but will miss the playoffs.

And on both sides it’s pretty tough for me to pick anything changing drastically.

I think Arizona and stl have bubble shots, penguins too. But Calgary should be better, Buffalo is a salary cap wet dream. A year of Chychrun for the Senators could be great.

Feels like it would be pretty nuts if Toronto, Stars, Edmonton, Avs, Canes, Devil, Rangers, Kracken, islanders, or Kings missed the playoffs as their teams are all sorta in their window - great players at great ages and deep teams.

Kinda leaves Florida with injury concerns, altho great team, Jets were so good to start last year but maybe big changes still?, Wild due to cap?, and TBL maybe because historically they’re due to re-tune.

Idk I’m ready for the season. Boring time of year.
Db1899 liked this.
Aug. 10, 2023 at 9:26 a.m.
Kansler
Did the buyout-window already close?
I wonder wtf Dallas was thinking bot getting rid off Suter.
I could see them even contending uf they managed somehow to replace him with Pesce....
Now the D-line just doesnt cut it. Even with improvement from Harley and Lundkvist.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll