SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #4 - The quiet period

Aug. 15, 2023 at 1:57 p.m.
Jinx god
Hopefully now the Petry to Dallas rumours stay dead.
BigBallsBriere and kdawg32086 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 1:58 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Expect Sam Gagner to be in Edmonton on a PTO AND expect him to be in Edmonton beyond this year in some other capacity. His role on ice might be limited this year, but he'll be a part of this Oilers franchise moving forward.
#LetsGoOilers   

Kind of makes sense as they need a 4c and honestly he seems perfect should have gave him a league min deal over a PTO
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: ARMCHAIRGMOFTHEYEAR
wasn't targeted at you... Although many habs fans thought he was gonna get this massive return and he just wasn't, even at the deadline.

You can deny it all you want, but we see year after year where a defender of his caliber gets a 1st+ at the TD, especially at 50% retained.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:00 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Detroit trading for Petry makes no sense as they already had

Seider, Walman, Chiarot, Holl, Gostisbere, and Maatta

So whose the healthy scratch lul and man whoever it is wont be a cheap one lul (wont be Seider)
Saskleaf and capsfan2121 liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:01 p.m.
Bedard23
Quoting: aadoyle

So whose the healthy scratch lul and man whoever it is wont be a cheap one lul (wont be Seider)

Either they don’t think Edvinsson is ready or they plan on trading ghost at the deadline and getting Edvinsson in there after
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:02 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM

Walman - Seider
Maata - Petry
Chiarot / Gostisbehere- Holl / Gostisbehere
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:04 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
Either they don’t think Edvinsson is ready or they plan on trading ghost at the deadline and getting Edvinsson in there after

In general adding him made no sense as their Dcore was already set

Walman-Seider
Maatta-Ghost
Chiarot-Holl
Lindstrom

So was Holl given 3.4m to be a healthy scratch or did they trade for Petry to be their #7 idk something's up

Like depth is fine but not when it costs more than a mill lul
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:05 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Walman - Seider
Maata - Petry

So then why sign Holl or Ghost lul

That seems like a big waste of cap to make either a healthy scratch
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Walman - Seider
Maata - Petry

So they signed Holl and Ghost to a 3.4m and 4.125m deal to be healthy scratches yea that does not seem like good cap management

Yzerman might be loosing his touch lul
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:07 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
So then why sign Holl or Ghost lul

That seems like a big waste of cap to make either a healthy scratch

Well when it was FA they weren't expecting to get Petry.
When the opportunity arouse to get a middle pair guy at 2.35m for only a 4th and a guy that was gonna be scratched anyway, you take that deal in a heartbeat.
No matter how much depth you have
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:18 p.m.
do not Devil my ass

Between these names it should 100% be Chiarot.
Cannot for the life of me understand why he is still a regular in the NHL.
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 2:25 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Who said that? Petry for that price will easily get a 1st + at the TD, it's just the wrong time to trade him. You can go and look at us discussion in the trade forumn

doubt it...

He's old, wasn't very good last season, and is more than likely going regress at the age of 35, especially on a worse team like Montreal. He's barely worth 2.3ish he's at now.

Most he would've got is like a 3rd or a late 2nd depending on desperation, but Montreal had no leverage to ask for anything substantial because he was just dumped with a lot and GM's use that as leverage.
A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:35 p.m.
So they signed Holl and Ghost to a 3.4m and 4.125m deal to be healthy scratches yea that does not seem like good cap management

They do have a lot of cap space short term, so Ghost 1 year I dont see the problem.

But locking Holl and Chiarot (last summer) this long is troubling
BigBallsBriere liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 3:39 p.m.
and I really dont like Copp & Compher signings

I tend to think DET will be forever mid : mid prospect, mid team

They'll be a bubble team for long time lol

If that's the Yzerplan, pass
Aug. 15, 2023 at 4:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: pinslack
and I really dont like Copp & Compher signings

I tend to think DET will be forever mid : mid prospect, mid team

They'll be a bubble team for long time lol

If that's the Yzerplan, pass

The funny thing about Yzerman he builds intriguing teams but as we saw with Tampa never wins with them

Its always the next GM

Case in point Yzerman built TBL but Brisbois got them the cup with 2 bold moves

Foote + 1st for 1.5 years of Coleman and 1st for 1.5 years of Goodrow to help create one of the best third lines seen in the NHL

Maybe Det needs to follow the same formula but that can come later first need to make the playoffs
Aug. 15, 2023 at 5:07 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 15, 2023 at 7:25 p.m.
Was on twitter and saw a rule I never heard of before after the unfortunate situation with Amirov

Believe it was called the Cherepanov Rule but through checking that rule does not apply to Amirov. That said it should be updated a bit to include a 1st round prospect who has signed and is still on their ELC who passes away due to an unfortunate circumstance but that can come later get through the mourning and funeral than a debate can come.

Do not care for compensation I care for Amirov who was taken to soon but for the betterment of the NHL rule should be updated.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 5:07 p.m.
You can deny it all you want, but we see year after year where a defender of his caliber gets a 1st+ at the TD, especially at 50% retained.

Petry simply wasn't worth much anymore, he has a NMC and M-NTC which gives him the ability to nix most of the league and at his age, regression is very likely
Aug. 15, 2023 at 5:09 p.m.
Was seeing a rule I never heard of spring up after the unfortunate situation with Amirov

Believe it was called the Cherepanov Rule but based on what I have heard in Amirov's case dont think it applies due to the base ruleset. To me these rules should be updated a bit to include a prospect who has signed and is still on their ELC but that can come later.

Who knows NHL might make an exception due to the circumstances and rarity of this whole situation but still it sucks to see a kid at that young age go to soon from a god awful disease

I don't see why the NHL would change that rule, it's worked as intended so far and while Amirov's death does hurt the Leafs, they did sign him and got 2 years of him under contract
Aug. 15, 2023 at 5:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Aug. 15, 2023 at 6:46 p.m.
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
I don't see why the NHL would change that rule, it's worked as intended so far and while Amirov's death does hurt the Leafs, they did sign him and got 2 years of him under contract

I mean they really didnt get much of him due to the unfortunate cast of events.

Either way rule should be updated as signing (and not finishing) vs. not signing should not differentiate much when it comes to compensation

Dont care for Toronto getting compensation but in the end the rule should be updated for the betterment of the NHL
Aug. 15, 2023 at 5:36 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
The thing with the Red Wings is that they have such a stupidly deep prospect pool that I cannot see them not being a contender in due time.
Honestly, I think Detroit have at least 20 bonafide NHLers within their system right now, if not 25.
Obviously not everyone will make the Detroit lineup but that also means that there are plenty of opportunities to siphon surplus and excess prospects off from that pool and add them into trades for impact players.

At worst Yzerman's most recent gaffs in FA and elsewhere (Chiarot, Copp, Holl, Husso, Compher, Vrana saga, Cossa pick etc etc) will have delayed this Detroit team becoming a perennial playoff team, and possible cup contender, by a few years.
But there's no doubt in my mind that with the strength and the ridiculous depth of their prospect pool Detroit will become a top 10 team in the NHL, It's only a question of when.
Cannot see that happening this year, I think they're about 2 years out, at worst.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Aug. 15, 2023 at 6:48 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Tintin
The thing with the Red Wings is that they have such a stupidly deep prospect pool that I cannot see them not being a contender in due time.
Honestly, I think Detroit have at least 20 bonafide NHLers within their system right now, if not 25.
Obviously not everyone will make the Detroit lineup but that also means that there are plenty of opportunities to siphon surplus and excess prospects off from that pool and add them into trades for impact players.

At worst Yzerman's most recent gaffs in FA and elsewhere (Chiarot, Copp, Holl, Husso, Compher, Vrana saga, Cossa pick etc etc) will have delayed this Detroit team becoming a perennial playoff team, and possible cup contender, by a few years.
But there's no doubt in my mind that with the strength and the ridiculous depth of their prospect pool Detroit will become a top 10 team in the NHL, It's only a question of when.
Cannot see that happening this year, I think they're about 2 years out, at worst.

Why do I get the feeling he gets yeeted out and then we see results lul

Kind of like TBL
Aug. 15, 2023 at 6:49 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Moving on to a less serious topic pretty surprised Makar got NHL 24 when McDavid had like 153 points

Would have done a Trio

Makar on the left, with a goalie in the middle and McDavid on the right

Whole thing just seems odd as to me if your were gonna give it to Makar why not give him NHL 23 when he won the Con Smythe
Aug. 15, 2023 at 8:24 p.m.
Bedard23
Moving on to a less serious topic pretty surprised Makar got NHL 24 when McDavid had like 153 points

Would have done a Trio

Makar on the left, with a goalie in the middle and McDavid on the right

Whole thing just seems odd as to me if your were gonna give it to Makar why not give him NHL 23 when he won the Con Smythe

Because the cheapskates at EA prefer California to Colorado
Aug. 15, 2023 at 8:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: IconicHawk
Because the cheapskates at EA prefer California to Colorado

Honestly that whole cover still confuses me lul

Makes no sense

Would have done

Makar 2023
McDavid 2024
And for 2025 a Legacy one (Bergeron with Krejci)
Aug. 15, 2023 at 10:25 p.m.
Bedard23
Damn the last two days have been rough on the leafs

Bobby Baun, the guy who scored the cup clinching goal for the leafs in 64 just passed too
Grapevine liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll