SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Montreal Canadiens signed Jesse Ylönen (1 Year / $775,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 31, 2023 at 9:32 a.m.
Jesse Ylönen has signed a new contract with the Montreal Canadiens.
Standard Contract
Comparable ContractsCOMPARE THIS CONTRACT
SIGNED BY: Kent Hughes
Length: 1 year
Value: $775,000
Expiry Status: RFA (Arb)
Cap % Tooltip: 0.93
Signing Team: Logo of the Montreal CanadiensMontreal Canadiens
Signing Date: Jul. 31, 2023
Source: CapFriendly

Jesse Ylönen signed a 1 year, $775,000 contract with the Montreal Canadiens on Jul. 31, 2023. The contract has a cap hit of $775,000.

SEASONClauseCap HitTooltipAAV TooltipP. BonusesTooltipS. BonusesTooltipBase SalaryTooltipTotal SalaryTooltipMinors SalTooltip
2023-24$775,000$775,000$0$0$775,000$775,000$200,000
TOTAL$775,000$775,000$0$0$775,000$775,000$200,000
Qualifying OfferTooltip: $813,750
MINIMUM GUARANTEED SALARY: 2023-24: $275,000
Jul. 31, 2023 at 9:42 a.m.
Flood Geologist
The last RFA to sign, and for league minimum. He has enough raw tools to be a decent NHLer but hasn't played consistently enough to solidify his spot. This will be an important year for him to show that he can put it all together.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
Let's be honest, he's got work to do to become a full-time NHLer. Best of luck to him, but unless he gets stronger or more confident with the puck, he'll likely be in Europe next year.
Missouri and Chabotrrorr liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 9:54 a.m.
Evans truther
Guy quietly was just shy of a half PPG this year while playing bottom six minutes, pretty sure the kid wanted a one way deal and the team a two year (First year two way, second year one way) so they cut down the middle. People are low on him because of all our new toys in Laval but he's a bottom six guy in the making that can contribute on the PP with his great wrister and on the PK with his Byron-esque speed. Nothing flashy but he's the kind of guy that can give your bottom six additional scoring while being great on PK.
SevenLeg, TheRealisticGuy, pinslack and 4 others liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:00 a.m.
Quoting: ColonelX
Guy quietly was just shy of a half PPG this year while playing bottom six minutes, pretty sure the kid wanted a one way deal and the team a two year (First year two way, second year one way) so they cut down the middle. People are low on him because of all our new toys in Laval but he's a bottom six guy in the making that can contribute on the PP with his great wrister and on the PK with his Byron-esque speed. Nothing flashy but he's the kind of guy that can give your bottom six additional scoring while being great on PK.

LOL, his speed is nowhere near Byron-esque unless you mean today.
drambui liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:24 a.m.
RETIRED
Quoting: MountRoyal
The last RFA to sign, and for league minimum. He has enough raw tools to be a decent NHLer but hasn't played consistently enough to solidify his spot. This will be an important year for him to show that he can put it all together.

Capfriendly assumes the minimum until the contract details are confirmed
MountRoyal liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:37 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Jul. 31, 2023 at 10:43 a.m.
I'm laughing at the lack of love for this guy just because he's not flashy.

He's reliable and produce points at the NHL level on limited icetime. What more do you want?

He 100% part of this team's future and won't be put on waivers this year.

I see him as the new Lehkonen, with a better slapshot but a bit less grit along the boards.

As for the contract, he deserved more (if you compare him to RHP's new contract) but had no negociation power.

KH kept it a low and short term contract to avoid the need to put Price on LTIR before the start of the season and thus avoid bonuses penalties. See: https://fr.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4436071

With a steady pace, expect him to double his pay in 2024.
TheRealisticGuy, A_Habs_fan, Went_Wughes and 3 others liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: BaseballCoach
LOL, his speed is nowhere near Byron-esque unless you mean today.

He's one of the best skater on the roster. He's particularly agile but he's got speed too
Jul. 31, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
WentWughes
Took a 1 year discount for term and aav long term next year. Wish we had a spot for him because he's clearly an NHL player.
jpsnow13 and Went_Wughes liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 12:05 p.m.
You know nothing JS
Edited Aug. 2, 2023 at 3:59 p.m.
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Took a 1 year discount for term and aav long term next year. Wish we had a spot for him because he's clearly an NHL player.

If I'm WentWughes, I would send Hoffman down to Laval to make him a spot. You cant rebuild efficiently if you loose your young players on waivers because some old rag blocks his spot on the roster.
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:36 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jpsnow13
If I'm WentWughes, I would send Hoffman down to Laval to make him a spot. You can rebuild efficiently if you loose your young players on waivers because some old rag blocks his spot on the roster.

I agree. I would try and shop Hoffman at 50% but I would also send Armia to Laval. Same reasoning. And, if we are lucky Armia gets claimed. No way I expose Ylonen to waivers, and there are some good PTO options to fight Andersson for the last spot.
MTLaveragefan liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 4:53 p.m.
I post sometimes
Quoting: Went_Wughes
I agree. I would try and shop Hoffman at 50% but I would also send Armia to Laval. Same reasoning. And, if we are lucky Armia gets claimed. No way I expose Ylonen to waivers, and there are some good PTO options to fight Andersson for the last spot.

Nah Anderson will likely play on the top 6!

I'm expecting that they might try to separate Caufield and Suzuki because Suzuki really complements Anderson and RHP.

I can see a top 6 looking like this:

RHP - Suzuki - Anderson
Newhook -Dach- Caufield
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Kelandry
Quoting: MTLaveragefan

I'm expecting that they might try to separate Caufield and Suzuki because Suzuki really complements Anderson and RHP.

RHP - Suzuki - Anderson
Newhook -Dach- Caufield

RHP and Anderson are not a top 3 forwards, i see why you say this but Caufield and Suzuki needs to stay on top line together
Jul. 31, 2023 at 5:59 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: MTLaveragefan

RHP - Suzuki - Anderson
Newhook -Dach- Caufield

..Lias Andersson.
MTLaveragefan liked this.
Jul. 31, 2023 at 6:47 p.m.

I disagree, 100%
He's this year's version of Pitlick last summer. He's too weak on the puck to play bottom 6 role, and he doesn't have the talent to play top 6 role. At least not yet.
Maybe he improves this year, I wish him the best.
But he doesnt play PK at all, he plays PP when guys like Caufield are injured. He has a long way to go to be an established NHL player
Aug. 1, 2023 at 8:40 a.m.
I post sometimes
..Lias Andersson.

Lol proceed then ahahha
Aug. 8, 2023 at 8:18 p.m.
Quoting: jpsnow13
If I'm WentWughes, I would send Hoffman down to Laval to make him a spot. You cant rebuild efficiently if you loose your young players on waivers because some old rag blocks his spot on the roster.

Hoffman’s gone so that moves him up one slot on the depth chart. I don’t think there’s any chance of Armia being claimed if he’s waived with his 2x$3.4M cap hit and even higher salary, so if waiving him avoids having to waive Ylonen, that’s definitely what I’d do.

However, CapFriendy’s Montreal depth chart shows Ylonen already in the minors. Doesn’t that mean they don’t have to waive him? Or does a guy have to clear waivers to stay in the minors if he’s already there when he loses his waivers exemption? I thought if he was already in the minors they could just keep him there without waiving him, until they have a permanent spot in the NHL for him. Of course then they’ll need to be confident that he’ll stick, because they won’t be able to send him back down again, but they’ve had a pretty good look at him in the NHL already, so that should help them judge when the time is right for him to come back up full time.
Aug. 8, 2023 at 10:53 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: jr400
Hoffman’s gone so that moves him up one slot on the depth chart. I don’t think there’s any chance of Armia being claimed if he’s waived with his 2x$3.4M cap hit and even higher salary, so if waiving him avoids having to waive Ylonen, that’s definitely what I’d do.

However, CapFriendy’s Montreal depth chart shows Ylonen already in the minors. Doesn’t that mean they don’t have to waive him? Or does a guy have to clear waivers to stay in the minors if he’s already there when he loses his waivers exemption? I thought if he was already in the minors they could just keep him there without waiving him, until they have a permanent spot in the NHL for him. Of course then they’ll need to be confident that he’ll stick, because they won’t be able to send him back down again, but they’ve had a pretty good look at him in the NHL already, so that should help them judge when the time is right for him to come back up full time.

Come training camp, every one way contract and waiver exempt guys have to go through waivers if cut to Laval, as Habs trim to 23 man roster.

There is very very little chance Armia gets claimed. But after the season begins, and if they call him up. He has to pass through re-entry waivers. At that time a team with injuries and cap space could claim him. Not guaranteed but a better possibility compared to training camp when most teams rosters are pretty set.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 12:12 a.m.
You know nothing JS
Quoting: jr400

Ylonen would need to go through waivers next season.

You can read the waivers FAQ to learn more about it. Or just look for the green circle witha down arrow beside the players exempted.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 5:30 a.m.
WentWughes
Come training camp, every one way contract and waiver exempt guys have to go through waivers if cut to Laval, as Habs trim to 23 man roster.

There is very very little chance Armia gets claimed. But after the season begins, and if they call him up. He has to pass through re-entry waivers. At that time a team with injuries and cap space could claim him. Not guaranteed but a better possibility compared to training camp when most teams rosters are pretty set.

There's no such thing as "re-entry" waivers anymore. It was removed in one of the recent CBA's.
Went_Wughes liked this.
Aug. 9, 2023 at 9:50 a.m.
Banned
There's no such thing as "re-entry" waivers anymore. It was removed in one of the recent CBA's.

booo.. let's get them back just for Armia. lol
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Oct. 16, 2023 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: Ste_Catherine_Street
I disagree, 100%
He's this year's version of Pitlick last summer. He's too weak on the puck to play bottom 6 role, and he doesn't have the talent to play top 6 role. At least not yet.
Maybe he improves this year, I wish him the best.
But he doesnt play PK at all, he plays PP when guys like Caufield are injured. He has a long way to go to be an established NHL player

Your opinions are so bad/off all the time lmao

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit