SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Arizona Coyotes signed Matt Dumba (1 Year / $3,900,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Aug. 6, 2023 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: RawDeal
I mean, they will be dangerous when Weber/Little/Voracek return ;-)

I still miss Pronger and Datsyuk...
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 5:04 p.m.
Good move for the player and not a bad move for the team. It’s an overpay for what he’s done lately, and more than double the next highest paid Arizona defenseman, but on a 1-year contract for a team that can afford the cap hit and the roster spot when pretty much all the other UFA defensemen are gone, the risk is low. He’ll get to play higher on the depth chart and have a chance to revive his career like Shayne Gostisbehere did there, which could get the Coyotes another draft pick at the deadline.

It's also possible that he comes out of this 1-year contract with a lower value, like John Klingberg did after signing with Anaheim, but perhaps that’s why Dumba signed with Gostisbehere’s old team instead of Klingberg’s.
RawDeal liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 5:05 p.m.
WentWughes
Dumba will get top time on ice. Hopefully he can rebound to the player he once was.
RawDeal and jpsnow13 liked this.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 6:03 p.m.
and proud of it
Not a bad deal overall, but Dumba isn't worth that much anymore.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 6:24 p.m.
Quoting: KubaH
What leverage did Dumba have that he got 3,9M? At this moment, my best offer being Arizona is 2M. He pretty much had nowhere else to go, maybe except Anaheim. No other teams had free roster spots or money to sign him.

I suspect he has a couple offers in the 2 m range and was waiting. Arizona blinked first
Aug. 6, 2023 at 6:33 p.m.
Quoting: Jfstompers
This is what Detroit should have done instead of that God awful Holl contract

No you can't say that about Justin Holl of Famer.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 7:36 p.m.
Future Ducks legend

I suspect Dumba was looking for a place where he'd be the #1 guy. Would he have pushed Seider off top pairing? I doubt it.

If he'd gone to Anaheim he would have been top pair, but probably not gotten much power play time.

I think between SJ and Arizona, Arizona has a better team and he can put up more counting stats to get a better contract next year.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 7:37 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: GiggywithGibby
I suspect Dumba was looking for a place where he'd be the #1 guy. Would he have pushed Seider off top pairing? I doubt it.

If he'd gone to Anaheim he would have been top pair, but probably not gotten much power play time.

I think between SJ and Arizona, Arizona has a better team and he can put up more counting stats to get a better contract next year.

I'd suspect Dumba was looking for a team where he can win now and also sign a long term contract at a reasonable AAV. Instead he waited too long and had to accept whatever contract he could get.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 8:37 p.m.
Quoting: RawDeal
Gotta think that is, by far, the best offer he received.

Maybe he just wanted to win
Aug. 6, 2023 at 9:49 p.m.
MIN signed some brutal contracts over the last 10 years, and Dumba $6M x 5 years was definitely one of them. I don't think he'll be missed, even at 2/3 the AAV.
Aug. 6, 2023 at 11:42 p.m.
wheelchair briere
Quoting: Wilson_W_Wilson_Jr
Is Arizona trying to contend?

Quoting: Pompadour_de_Armstrong
More like pretend, but it's a step in the right direction. Obvious hole in the lineup for a veteran defenseman. Arguably still a hole, but it looks a lot less shaky with Dumba, and when they fall short, the can take inventory at the deadline and see if there are deals to be made.

Spending money on quality veteran free agents without anchoring to term, and keeping all the draft capital banked away is a good compromise towards continuing the rebuild and trying to be more competitive for the players' and team's sake.

Quoting: Aebexz
More or less yes. They have no plans to try and push for playoffs yet but wants to help the existing talent to improve. These 1 year contracts will help the GM evaluate the core in a more competitive team.

Just a little joke, but it is good to see them spending some $ and making some moves.

Keller, Hayton and Cooley ALL have BIG game potential.

They definitely are in need of a Dumba on D.
Aebexz liked this.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 12:09 a.m.
MOVE THE COYOTES
Fine contract for him if it's one year.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 1:20 a.m.
Retired V2 V3 GM
Solid signing.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 8:58 a.m.
Its a no lose deal for Ari. Its a one year deal, they're not going to be competitive. Gives them a veteran presence and if he bounces back they've got a nice trade chip for the deadline.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 10:12 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
MIN signed some brutal contracts over the last 10 years, and Dumba $6M x 5 years was definitely one of them. I don't think he'll be missed, even at 2/3 the AAV.

Certainly that contract turned out to be a mistake, but I don't fault them for doing it. At the time he was young, putting up good offensive numbers, and contributing in other ways too. If you look at what teams are doing now with players like that, they're lucky they gave him only 5 years. Who knew he would start to decline shortly after signing it?
Aug. 7, 2023 at 2:04 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Probably a steal! And low-risk, too!
Aug. 7, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
Quoting: jr400
Certainly that contract turned out to be a mistake, but I don't fault them for doing it. At the time he was young, putting up good offensive numbers, and contributing in other ways too. If you look at what teams are doing now with players like that, they're lucky they gave him only 5 years. Who knew he would start to decline shortly after signing it?

It seems that the worst contract are almost always UFA Defensemen in the late 20's or early 30's. They tend to decline substantially and get injured more often as they age. For every Roman Josi and Mattias Ekholm, who improve or maintain their high level of play in their 30's, there's countless players like, Matt Dumba, Ryan Suter, Tyler Myers, P.K. Subban, T.J. Brodie, Seth Jones, etc...I could probably list 50. These types of contracts are high-risk and that's why we'll see more short-term signings, like Dumba's new deal, in the future.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 6:16 p.m.
ARZ will be looking to trade him retained at the TDL for assets, so the overpay comments are kind of irrelevant
Aug. 7, 2023 at 8:50 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Yeah, but July 1st free agent frenzy is crazy at times. Some GMs will overpay for a position of need, thinking no one will be available in a few days. Then some players likely turned down better contracts thinking there will be better offers, but then the cap drie up for some many teams . Then those players have to settle for a year deal on a team they really don't to play for.
Aug. 7, 2023 at 9:15 p.m.
Quoting: poeticentropy
ARZ will be looking to trade him retained at the TDL for assets, so the overpay comments are kind of irrelevant

Not entirely. Teams acquiring deadline rentals are usually already close to the cap, so the lower a player's cap hit, the easier it is to find somebody who can take him. But somebody should be able to squeeze Dumba in at just under $2M if Arizona retains 50%. They have two retention slots left. They can use the other one on Zucker.
Aug. 8, 2023 at 1:59 a.m.
Quoting: jr400
Not entirely. Teams acquiring deadline rentals are usually already close to the cap, so the lower a player's cap hit, the easier it is to find somebody who can take him. But somebody should be able to squeeze Dumba in at just under $2M if Arizona retains 50%. They have two retention slots left. They can use the other one on Zucker.

it's weird you disagree with me then agree with me lol

they'll be able to find a buyer for him at $1.95m and easy-cheesy to retain the rest of the season. It's a good move and wish Grier made it instead
Aug. 8, 2023 at 12:19 p.m.
Quoting: poeticentropy
it's weird you disagree with me then agree with me lol

I suppose I did. What I disagreed with was what appeared to be a general statement that it doesn't matter if you overpay a guy on a 1-year contract if you're planning to trade him at the deadline.

Wouldn't it be funny if Arizona made the playoffs and became a buyer at the deadline instead of a seller? I'll be very surprised if it happens, but there's bound to be somebody who turns out to be this year's Seattle Kraken.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit