SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Armchair-GM

Making ends meet

Team: 2023-24 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Aug. 24, 2023
Published: Aug. 24, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
BUF fans, don't hate.. Anderson is a good player, but Habs aren't looking for wins right now and I could see him as a potential player to bring more grit and offense style to the Sabres. They need that steam train of a guy that can move the puck into the offensive territory in order for their players to make the play. Anderson is that... He rolled over so many Dmen last year going into the zone, he just needs players like Thompson, Cozens or Skinner to help him finish the plays. While some of our fanbase think Suzuki is a great 1st center, I still see his stats and he's still ain't in breaking in the top 30 centermen in the league stats wise. SO for me, Suzuki is a very good player, but he could be the 2nd Centerman on most winning teams.

CHI trade would involve a great 2nd goalie for them, only 2 year contract and a guy who knows his role in helping develop younger guys. With the team acquiring Bedard, they'll need to ensure their goalies get the support they need to grow into that role in two years.

Just my take on moves that could help other teams and the Habs at the same time.

I move Ylonen on the first line at the start of the season. I want to see him play, see him compete with Suzuki and Caufield. Get a younger line going and establish if they can mesh well together. I still don't see Slaf as that guy right now, unlees he completely changed his game from last year and proves h the 1st overall wans't wasted... Still think Nemec, Cooley and Wright would've been better choices... Yeah, I know Wright and his attitude.. We need someone with attitude and going first could've sold that spot finally.
Trades
MTL
  1. 2024 5th round pick (CGY)
Additional Details:
Hawks get a good second goalie and teammate in order to help develop their younger guys, which seems like a direction they are going with the signings they did in the offseason; No need to pay much for him, and get closer to cap space.
CHI
  1. Allen, Jake
Additional Details:
Habs offer a spot to Primeau and are able to rotate him and DeSmith in the second chair.
MTL
  1. 2024 2nd round pick (BUF)
  2. 2025 2nd round pick (BUF)
Additional Details:
BUF would most likely benefit from a sized player able to bring grit and speed to their offense. 2X2nd round pick vs a 5th and a 4th.
BUF
  1. Anderson, Josh
  2. 2024 5th round pick (SJS)
  3. 2025 4th round pick (DET)
Additional Details:
Habs gain a spot to bring up a prospect, or Primeau into the roster. Gain picks and prepare for the upcoming signing widows for Slaf and other player that could be needed in a year or two.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the COL
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,500,000$67,555,416$1,170,000$4,210,000$15,944,584
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$7,850,000$7,850,000
LW, RW
UFA - 8
$7,875,000$7,875,000
C
UFA - 7
$775,000$775,000
RW, LW
RFA - 1
$2,900,000$2,900,000
C, LW
RFA - 4
$3,362,500$3,362,500
C, RW
RFA - 3
$950,000$950,000 (Performance Bonus$3,500,000$4M)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$1,100,000$1,100,000
LW, RW
RFA - 2
$4,450,000$4,450,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 4
$812,500$812,500
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,700,000$1,700,000
C
UFA - 2
$3,400,000$3,400,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$420,000$420K)
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RD
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,875,000$4,875,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$766,667$766,667
RD
UFA - 2
$1,800,000$1,800,000
G
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD/RD
RFA - 2
$828,333$828,333
LD/RD
RFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$950,000$950,000
RD
RFA - 1
$1,985,000$1,985,000 (Performance Bonus$15,000$15K)
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$275,000$275K)
RD
RFA - 1
$890,000$890,000
G
RFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:04 p.m.
Josh Anderson is under a brutal contract and takes space on the wing away from the younger guys. They also "solved" their lack of muscle by overpaying for Greenway
gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:10 p.m.
The only way you're getting even close to that return, is if you retain half of Anderson's contract.
BUFF36 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:12 p.m.
I am really hoping that one of the Hawks young goalies gets some playing time this season. Having said that I am perfectly fine burying Mrazek, so I am okay with the hawks deal.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:13 p.m.
I get that Hawks taking Allen makes sense from your perspective, but it does not from the Hawks’. They are not interested in bringing in another goalie. The ones they have need to get in the crease to develop, bringing in someone else blocks them. Also a 5th is debatably too high an ask.
Hawksguy81 and JK74 liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
Quoting: DangleCat
I am really hoping that one of the Hawks young goalies gets some playing time this season. Having said that I am perfectly fine burying Mrazek, so I am okay with the hawks deal.

Mrazek will get injured just like he always does, no need to bury him.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:18 p.m.
Quoting: YeahRighttt
Mrazek will get injured just like he always does, no need to bury him.

Great point lol
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
No from the Hawks. They have 4 goalies under contract. There is no space for Allen. If Mrazek gets hurt they can sign some bum off the streets. If you want Hawks to take Allen you are gonna have to pay to do it.
Garak, Hawksguy81, JK74 and 1 other person liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Hawks decline. Allen is a cap dump from the Hawks perspective. They have 5 goalies in the organization already. If the NHL tandem is Mrazak/Allen, there aren't enough AHL games for Soderblom/Stauber/Commesso to properly develop as you allude to in your description. Hawks aren't spending a pick just to bury one of Mrazak or Allen in the AHL.
JK74 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 12:56 p.m.
Whenever a team is trying to move contracts and fans come on here talking about what good players they can be, the point is being missed.

Nobody disputes that Anderson has some value but he might have a Bottom 10 worst contract in the league and the fact is that MTL is going to have to pay heavily to move it.

We went through this for a decade of Cap Hell in Chicago - when you're in cap trouble and every other team knows it, they have you over a barrel and "but he's still good" doesn't help one bit.
JK74 and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
So clearly an easy decline from the Hawks but you get bonus points for trying to spin in lol.
Aug. 24, 2023 at 1:29 p.m.
I'm not sure but I think that Monahan is ready for start the season. For add, Dvo has a injury he probably gonna miss the beginning of the season
Aug. 24, 2023 at 4:50 p.m.
Sabres dont want anything related to Josh Anderson and his contract for free, let alone paying for his 'grit and speed'
Aug. 24, 2023 at 5:14 p.m.
Go Habs Go
The most realistic Allen move is sending him to the AHL while we cross our fingers that someone ends up needing him and comes calling later in the season.
Give Primeau some NHL action in the meantime before risking him to waivers. Prove it or move it.
Try to send DeSmith to Columbus. Closer to home and his newborn baby. Return isn't important, but getting anything back would be a nice bonus.

Allen's contract is simply poor value for what he provides. We no longer have the retention flexibility to make him more appealing either.
Yes. He CAN be a solid starter/tandem option, but he's currently a full-time backup.
Nobody is taking him with the current state of the market unless we add something of value and/or take back some bad cap.
gretzkyghosts and JK74 liked this.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 11:48 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Ennis
Josh Anderson is under a brutal contract and takes space on the wing away from the younger guys. They also "solved" their lack of muscle by overpaying for Greenway

Greenway is muscle, Anderson is a sizeable player able to bring grit and speed to their offense while managing the puck. Both very different players. Greenway will be asked to ensure the other teams don't mess with their players. ANderson will contribute more offensively.

It's not a brutal contract at 5M$. Cap will go up and with the wingers he'll have that play his style, he'll manage to increase his production by at least 20 to 30Pts. As far as young players, well, you could say that from any team, yet they do value NHL experience when they want to go for the series. Buffalo needs those that have the experience and don't back down when hit.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 11:49 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
I get that Hawks taking Allen makes sense from your perspective, but it does not from the Hawks’. They are not interested in bringing in another goalie. The ones they have need to get in the crease to develop, bringing in someone else blocks them. Also a 5th is debatably too high an ask.

your view.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 11:52 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Hawksguy81
Hawks decline. Allen is a cap dump from the Hawks perspective. They have 5 goalies in the organization already. If the NHL tandem is Mrazak/Allen, there aren't enough AHL games for Soderblom/Stauber/Commesso to properly develop as you allude to in your description. Hawks aren't spending a pick just to bury one of Mrazak or Allen in the AHL.

Just look at the other comments. Others have a view that Mrazak could potentially injure himself again. ALlen brings in experience for those you alluded to and his a valuable asset to a team when they need development in their younger goalies. I see Hawks in no position to rush nay of their younger guys right now, but need them to be ready in two to three years. ALlen expires, they can move on up, and they are better than this year.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 11:53 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Charest29
I'm not sure but I think that Monahan is ready for start the season. For add, Dvo has a injury he probably gonna miss the beginning of the season

Sure.. move them..
Charest29 liked this.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
we miss leo k
Quoting: WhoCares_ItsAFantasyGame
Greenway is muscle, Anderson is a sizeable player able to bring grit and speed to their offense while managing the puck. Both very different players. Greenway will be asked to ensure the other teams don't mess with their players. ANderson will contribute more offensively.

It's not a brutal contract at 5M$. Cap will go up and with the wingers he'll have that play his style, he'll manage to increase his production by at least 20 to 30Pts. As far as young players, well, you could say that from any team, yet they do value NHL experience when they want to go for the series. Buffalo needs those that have the experience and don't back down when hit.

Here's the Sabres wingers(per daily faceoff, correct me if this is wrong Buffalo fans):
Jeff Skinner - Alex Tuch
JJ Peterka - Casey Mittestadt
Jordan Greenway - Victor Olofsson
Zemgus Girgensons - Kyle Okposo

Jack Quinn (injured)
Lukas Rousek

Who does Anderson kick out of this group? I'd rather play Skinner/Tuch/Olofsson/Mittelstadt than Anderson if you're talking about similar AAVs; I'd rather play Peterka/Quinn/Rousek as guys on cheap deals/ELCs who will benefit from the ice time; and I'd rather play guys like Girgensons/Okposo/Greenway in my bottom-6 because they're paid like bottom-6 guys.

Josh Anderson is a bottom-6 guy on the Sabres, most likely, but he'd be the 6th-highest paid player on the entire team. I just don't see a reason for the Sabres to give up multiple picks for a guy with that profile. If the Habs were retaining and the ask was less? Sure, maybe there's a conversation to be had, but I don't really see a sensible spot for Anderson in Buffalo's lineup without the price coming down.
Ennis and gretzkyghosts liked this.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 11:58 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Czu8iks
Sabres dont want anything related to Josh Anderson and his contract for free, let alone paying for his 'grit and speed'

Love how this as no value since you think any player that isn't a 100pts scorer is overvalued. Have you even seen him play? Have you even noticed that he bring the puck in the zone lie a train? He goes in but as no one to help him finish the job. While many of my Habs fans think we have a great 1st centerman in Suzik, I still see him as one of the best 2nd centerman in the NHL. He's not even top 30 C in the league right now. Anderson can't work with 2nd and 3rd centermen. Buffalo has what he would need to produce 20 to 30 pts more a season. At 5.5M$ he's a well paid winger but with the cap moving up, Buffalo may find themselves with a good deal.

He hits, he plays, he passes, he moves the puck and isn't easy to play against. Buffalo could use that guy.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:24 p.m.

Love how this as no value since you think any player that isn't a 100pts scorer is overvalued. Have you even seen him play? Have you even noticed that he bring the puck in the zone lie a train? He goes in but as no one to help him finish the job. While many of my Habs fans think we have a great 1st centerman in Suzik, I still see him as one of the best 2nd centerman in the NHL. He's not even top 30 C in the league right now. Anderson can't work with 2nd and 3rd centermen. Buffalo has what he would need to produce 20 to 30 pts more a season. At 5.5M$ he's a well paid winger but with the cap moving up, Buffalo may find themselves with a good deal.

He hits, he plays, he passes, he moves the puck and isn't easy to play against. Buffalo could use that guy.

He carries the puck like a train with no conductor. Outside of a 21 goal season, he's done nothing to suggest he's even worth near as much as 5m. Plenty of low risk and cheap bargain bin players Buffalo could shoot for if they want size and speed. And what experience does Anderson bring? He has 43 games of playoff experience and a whopping 14 points. He's not a noted vet.

He's also notoriously bad defensively, which is the very LAST thing Buffalo needs more of.

They don't need to tie 5m on the wing to Anderson when they have plenty of wingers in the system they can call up for free who aren't far off from potting a whole 30pts a season. He honestly just blocks the pipeline.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.

It sounds like he is too valueable for Habs.
Aug. 25, 2023 at 12:50 p.m.
Just look at the other comments. Others have a view that Mrazak could potentially injure himself again. ALlen brings in experience for those you alluded to and his a valuable asset to a team when they need development in their younger goalies. I see Hawks in no position to rush nay of their younger guys right now, but need them to be ready in two to three years. ALlen expires, they can move on up, and they are better than this year.

Ok. I looked. I count five negative comments (including one Habs fan) and one positive comment. So your point really isn't supported by other comments. How is Allen a "valuable asset to a team looking to develop their young goalies" when he's playing in the NHL and all 3 young goalies you want to develop are stuck in the AHL? That makes no sense. I'd argue Mrazak is just as good a mentor to a young goalie as Allen. Hawks don't need two guys doing the same thing. Soderblom has been a pro for 4 years now. He's ready to move up to the NHL. Allen would just block him for another year. Maybe Kyle from Chicago gives you a call if Mrazak gets hurt and is going to be out long term. But otherwise, Hawks have zero interest in Allen.
Aug. 26, 2023 at 4:35 p.m.
your view.

Yeah, it’s my view, that’s why I wrote it. It’s also an educated view since I follow the team & listen to their general manager when he makes statements. Vs. just looking at who I want to move off my team & trying to shoehorn them onto other teams.
Also in my view, your statement about Allen helping develop other goalies is faulty. Unless he wants to retire & coach he would be taking away starts from the kids who need to play to get better.
Sep. 3, 2023 at 10:16 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Quoting: Czu8iks
It sounds like he is too valueable for Habs.

When trolls post, I just add them to the ignorants list. You're on it..
Sep. 3, 2023 at 10:22 a.m.
Yall gotta Chill
Yeah, it’s my view, that’s why I wrote it. It’s also an educated view since I follow the team & listen to their general manager when he makes statements. Vs. just looking at who I want to move off my team & trying to shoehorn them onto other teams.
Also in my view, your statement about Allen helping develop other goalies is faulty. Unless he wants to retire & coach he would be taking away starts from the kids who need to play to get better.

"educated".. That's far fetched. Anyone saying that based on what the GMs are saying out there and the moves they actually make in the end are not taking "educated" views.

Lots of comments, statements etc are put out there that have no actual value on actual trades and moves GMs do. One day they are in the media looking for a forward to help scoring, the next they traded to get a defenseman. It's what they do in order to not get people looking into actual moves that are being played out. We hear about the moves that were on tables years after and see that what was said vs done were completely different.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll