Forums/Armchair-GM

Anything like this proposed yet with Chi to make room for Pinto

Created by: DopeGM
Team: 2023-24 Ottawa Senators
Initial Creation Date: Sep. 12, 2023
Published: Sep. 12, 2023
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I like this one for Chicago. Enough that I could see them taking all that cap hit without asking for a draft pick. The players coming back fill out the deal, but also might be valuable to Ottawa this year in terms of depth players when injuries strike.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$3,250,000
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the DET
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the OTT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$83,500,000$80,192,380$0$1,850,000$3,307,620
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Ottawa Senators
$8,205,714$8,205,714
LW
UFA - 5
$8,350,000$8,350,000
C
UFA - 8
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$7,950,000$7,950,000
C
UFA - 7
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
RFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
C
RFA - 1
$4,975,000$4,975,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$762,500$762,500
LW
RFA - 1
$835,000$835,000
C, RW
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$8,000,000$8,000,000
LD
UFA - 5
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$4,000,000$4,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$1,850,000$2M)
LD
UFA - 1
$1,100,000$1,100,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,600,000$4,600,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$805,000$805,000
RD
RFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Sep. 12, 2023 at 1:48 a.m.
It's pretty well documented on here that Joseph would cost a 2nd to dump and brannstrom doesn't come close to that
JK74, exo2769, Snowhawk18 and 4 others liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 6:13 a.m.
TkachukNorris79
Quoting: SociallyHawkward
It's pretty well documented on here that Joseph would cost a 2nd to dump and brannstrom doesn't come close to that

Are you high Brannstrom is easily worth a 2nd, literally every single sens D man was better (eye test and analytically) with Branny as their partner, other than our boy Zaitsev.

And if somehow he isn't worth a 2nd, he would indeed be very close to that.
Xspyrit liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 7:13 a.m.
Leafs Sufferer

Sourcing CapFriendly ACGM as a means of determining trade value is the same as using wikipedia as your main source for a university paper.
Tintin, exo2769, Snowhawk18 and 3 others liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 7:36 a.m.
exo2769
Edited Sep. 12, 2023 at 7:41 a.m.
Quoting: Ritzy
Sourcing CapFriendly ACGM as a means of determining trade value is the same as using wikipedia as your main source for a university paper.

We're on a Canadian hockey website that specializes in the business aspect of the National Hockey League (NHL). You know how know?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CapFriendly

OR, I didnt take him literally. My perception on here is that none of us believe were actually GMs for our teams. I think he saying we'd all be very pissed off if Kyle Davidson got anything less due to his track record recently...Dickinson, Zaitsev, Bailey. I personally would pass on Brannstrom because our LD prospect pipeline is full to the brim. I'd do a 2nd round pick and roll the dice with Lassi though. Zaitsev is indeed awful as Sens fans know.
Snowhawk18, Hawksguy81, Mike7856 and 2 others liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 8:03 a.m.
Snowhawk
Quoting: TkachukNorris79
Are you high Brannstrom is easily worth a 2nd, literally every single sens D man was better (eye test and analytically) with Branny as their partner, other than our boy Zaitsev.

It doesn’t take a lot of work to review a team’s roster and prospect pool before making proposals. A quick look would tell you the Hawks organization is stacked with young LHD; Vlasic, Phillips, Kaiser, Roos, De Mastro, Allan, Korchinski, chances they add another in a trade who does not CLEARLY project to be head and shoulders above this group is slim, especially as the reward for taking on someone else’s cap dump. So while you and others may value Brannstrom as a 2nd round pick, the Hawks may look at their LHD depth and see him as a AHLer in their future.

Before Sens fans jump down my throat, if you are moving Joseph to clear out cap space, then yes he is a “cap dump” regardless of whether or not you feel he is a valuable player.
exo2769, Hawksguy81, Mike7856 and 3 others liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 8:27 a.m.
The unfortunate thing is, while I agree Brannstrom is probably worth a 2nd, Chicago would also have to value him like that. And most likely at this stage in their rebuild, they’d take the pick over the player. Most likely would be 2 separate trades, Joseph + 2nd to Chicago, Brannstrom for a 2nd from whoever, although if they are able to dump Joseph I’d just keep Branny for the year and maybe look to move him at the draft if Kleven develops well this year.
Hawksguy81, exo2769, Snowhawk18 and 4 others liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 8:28 a.m.
Yes, Branny to cover the cost to dump Joseph has been proposed and rejected multiple times. Branny is not a player who fills a need for the Hawks. Hawks would much rather have the 2nd round pick.
Mike7856, Snowhawk18, DopeGM and 1 other person liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:15 a.m.
Hockey 1st Sens 2nd
Quoting: Mike7856
The unfortunate thing is, while I agree Brannstrom is probably worth a 2nd, Chicago would also have to value him like that. And most likely at this stage in their rebuild, they’d take the pick over the player. Most likely would be 2 separate trades, Joseph + 2nd to Chicago, Brannstrom for a 2nd from whoever, although if they are able to dump Joseph I’d just keep Branny for the year and maybe look to move him at the draft if Kleven develops well this year.

Nailed it.
Mike7856, exo2769 and ChiHawk liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 9:19 a.m.
Serious armchairGM:)
I don’t get the “we have LHS D prospects” comment. Brannstrom would be their top puck moving DMan by far for this season and next. A second round pick is just not that valuable to a team with all the picks and prospects they already have.

One comment was that they would gamble on Lassi over Brannstrom. That’s just silly!

Brannstrom would be the best option to play with Jones for this year and next. I would take an upgrade at forward / cap dump to get such a nice piece.

And he’s already played RD! Worst case he floats down your lineup on the right side instead of the left as the cap rises.

(Not a Sens fan. Just noticing they need to move money to sign Pinto)
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:03 a.m.

All I meant by that was this deal has been done to death on here. To the point where one sens fan keeps track of everyone that agrees with it.
Snowhawk18, exo2769 and Xspyrit liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:05 a.m.

I'm not saying the sens don't value him as a 2nd. The hawks just wouldn't. LD is literally the one position they don't need.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
Serious armchairGM:)
All I meant by that was this deal has been done to death on here. To the point where one sens fan keeps track of everyone that agrees with it.

I figured it had. Sorry for that! When I’m looking at trades that “have to happen” (like Joseph out) and with so few teams taking cap on, I figured it made sense.

If I’m Ottawa I would probably do this deal and add a second or third if needed! Anything to get Pinto in frankly.
SociallyHawkward liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:08 a.m.
Quoting: DopeGM
I don’t get the “we have LHS D prospects” comment. Brannstrom would be their top puck moving DMan by far for this season and next. A second round pick is just not that valuable to a team with all the picks and prospects they already have.

One comment was that they would gamble on Lassi over Brannstrom. That’s just silly!

Brannstrom would be the best option to play with Jones for this year and next. I would take an upgrade at forward / cap dump to get such a nice piece.

And he’s already played RD! Worst case he floats down your lineup on the right side instead of the left as the cap rises.

The hawks aren't looking for players to help them in the next 2 seasons. They're looking beyond that. Saying brannstrom will help them win now only hurts his value to a team that's actively trying to be bad enough to get another top 5 draft pick.
Snowhawk18 and thesaadfather liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 10:24 a.m.
Snowhawk

Well we can agree to disagree.

Vlasic has already played a few games with Jones during his brief stints with the Hawks and looked pretty good, not to mention Kaiser and Phillips who haven’t looked out of place in their limited action with the Hawks.

Chicago needs to find out now what they have in some of these guys; Phillips has 2+ seasons in the AHL, Vlasic played in Rockford as the # 1 last year, Roos spent the large majority of his season on the farm as a 24 year-old. With the next wave of LHD; Allan, Del Mastro, Kaiser and potentially Korchinski; making the jump to professional hockey some questions need to be answered about some of these guys. Roos for example is an RFA after this coming season, do the Hawks resign him? Can’t answer that question unless he gets opportunities which would be even harder to come by if you throw Brannstrom in the mix.

So as other have stated, rather then add another prospect to a position of depth it would make more sense for the Hawks to add picks, so they can fill those gaps themselves with selections or take a player of a greater positional need in trades.
Hawksguy81 and exo2769 liked this.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 11:06 a.m.

Honestly... How do you figure that? Cap friendly has most of the financial and statistical information you need to make these types of determinations, available with a click of a mouse. There is also constant ongoing discussion on here which often uses an extensive amount of reliable resources to determine team needs, trade values, cap dump costs, etc., and most subjects that come to a consensus here on CF end up being fairly accurate, in comparison to real life transactions.

Also, these arguments against wikipedia are snobby and outdated. No ones education or knowledge base should be solely dependent on any single source like wikipedia, of course, but as a resource it can be quite valuable, and reliable, at the very least as a starting point. This is an argument that stems from open source information being a threat to "for profit" education.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 12:30 p.m.
TkachukNorris79
Quoting: Snowhawk18
It doesn’t take a lot of work to review a team’s roster and prospect pool before making proposals. A quick look would tell you the Hawks organization is stacked with young LHD; Vlasic, Phillips, Kaiser, Roos, De Mastro, Allan, Korchinski, chances they add another in a trade who does not CLEARLY project to be head and shoulders above this group is slim, especially as the reward for taking on someone else’s cap dump. So while you and others may value Brannstrom as a 2nd round pick, the Hawks may look at their LHD depth and see him as a AHLer in their future.

Before Sens fans jump down my throat, if you are moving Joseph to clear out cap space, then yes he is a “cap dump” regardless of whether or not you feel he is a valuable player.

I never said he was a fit with Chicago, just that he is easily worth a 2nd round pick.

Also I get that CHI has a lot of LD prospects but A) he would undoubtedly be your best LD this season and B) he can also play RD and actually excels there IMO.

Branny's value around the league really took a hit cause people think he is a bust - his offensive game was definitely overhyped but he had a great year as our 4/5, made everyone better, and just turned 24 last week. Saying he would be in the AHL in Chicago meanwhile he's Ottawa's 5th best defenceman currently... is something. Korchinski is obviously miles ahead and maybe you can say Vlasic although he is the polar opposite of Branny, but none of those other guys are or will be as good as Branny and if they are, you shouldn't be forcing them minutes at 21 years old on one of the worst teams in the league, that's how you ruin a players (D especially) development and confidence.

Branny is a lock as a Top 4D on like half the teams in the NHL right now, but won't get that opportunity in Ottawa until one of Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun or Zub get's hurt. Plus Kleven showed he was ready. So if Branny is the one that has to go to fit Pinto in, so be it.

Also yes we know Joseph is regarded as a cap dump even though he is a useful player, just overpaid by $1.5M and really shouldn't cost more than a 2nd and meh prospect to offload.
Sep. 12, 2023 at 4:12 p.m.
Snowhawk
I never said he was a fit with Chicago, just that he is easily worth a 2nd round pick.

Also I get that CHI has a lot of LD prospects but A) he would undoubtedly be your best LD this season and B) he can also play RD and actually excels there IMO.

Branny's value around the league really took a hit cause people think he is a bust - his offensive game was definitely overhyped but he had a great year as our 4/5, made everyone better, and just turned 24 last week. Saying he would be in the AHL in Chicago meanwhile he's Ottawa's 5th best defenceman currently... is something. Korchinski is obviously miles ahead and maybe you can say Vlasic although he is the polar opposite of Branny, but none of those other guys are or will be as good as Branny and if they are, you shouldn't be forcing them minutes at 21 years old on one of the worst teams in the league, that's how you ruin a players (D especially) development and confidence.

Branny is a lock as a Top 4D on like half the teams in the NHL right now, but won't get that opportunity in Ottawa until one of Sanderson, Chabot, Chychrun or Zub get's hurt. Plus Kleven showed he was ready. So if Branny is the one that has to go to fit Pinto in, so be it.

Also yes we know Joseph is regarded as a cap dump even though he is a useful player, just overpaid by $1.5M and really shouldn't cost more than a 2nd and meh prospect to offload.

Look, I don’t want to be nit picky here but how is it Kleven is ready for the NHL at 21 with no AHL experience and 8 NHL games under his belt.

Both Vlasic and Roos are older have AHL experience; at least one season; and NHL games. While Phillips is 21 with over two years of AHL experience and 20 NHL games and Kaiser is 21 with 9 NHL games? Seems strange you can make that declaration about Klevens “being ready”, perhaps they should slow the train down and keep him in the minors for this season, I mean “you shouldn’t be forcing them minutes at 21 years old on one of the worst teams in the league, that’s how you ruin a player (D especially) development and confidence.”

Seems like the perfect solution is for Ottawa to keep Brannstrom in Ottawa and let Klevens marinate in Belleville.

I would agree that normally a player like Joseph may not cost a lot to move out but these are not normal times, there are literally like 5 teams that even have the necessary cap space to take on his contract without making additional moves.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 11:31 a.m.
Edited Sep. 13, 2023 at 11:39 a.m.
No chance I'd do that. I would actually drive to Ottawa to kick Dorion in the balls if he did that

Except that...

Blackwell and Tinordi makes 2.45 combined... Joseph makes only 500 000$ more than this but is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade on Blackwell. Brannstrom as well is an ultra significant upgrade on Tinordi. Brannstrom has positive value and is quite underrated here. I sure wouldn't trade him for a stupid 2nd round pick.

So no chance I'm doing that. I'd rather waive Kubalik instead.

It doesn’t take a lot of work to review a team’s roster and prospect pool before making proposals.

And where does it say that the OP is a Sens fan? That's the FIRST thing I do when reading a thread if I don't already know who the OP is.

And by the way, if given the opportunity, you take that and run and sell Brannstrom higher later, his value hasn't done rising

...Brannstrom..., the Hawks may look at their LHD depth and see him as a AHLer in their future.

Damn, the fact that your post got 6 likes is dumbfounding

Thomson might be able to carve out some kind of NHL career but he won't come close to Brannstrom. People underrate him like crazy on this site, It's just that hockey fans in general don't know much beyond what hockeydb.com reveals.

I remember 2 years ago I was flamed when I was replying to people that Brannstrom was NOT a bust. What was their argument? "can't crack a terrible roster" lol

I figured it had. Sorry for that! When I’m looking at trades that “have to happen” (like Joseph out) and with so few teams taking cap on, I figured it made sense.

If I’m Ottawa I would probably do this deal and add a second or third if needed! Anything to get Pinto in frankly.

Trade Kubalik, such a no brainer. I have like 8 arguments FOR and ZERO for trading Joseph instead (still haven't seen one from anybody, the closest was "Dorion needs to save face in the DeBrincat trade" lol)
DopeGM liked this.
Sep. 13, 2023 at 12:15 p.m.
Snowhawk
Edited Sep. 13, 2023 at 12:20 p.m.. Reason: Deleted my post
Decided not to respond to the trolls
Sep. 13, 2023 at 5:17 p.m.
Edited Sep. 14, 2023 at 2:06 p.m.
tears of joy

Getting owned is what happens when you spread misinformation or bullcrap.

"It doesn’t take a lot of work to review a team’s roster and prospect pool before making proposals." : OP is not even a Sens fan

"The Hawks may look at their LHD depth and see him as a AHLer in their future." : Brannstrom an AHLer on the worst team in the league lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll