SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-24 NHL Season Discussion Thread #1: Here we Go!

Nov. 10, 2023 at 2:08 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: yikes
You can’t fire Woodcroft. Holland has to go man.
Woodcroft will immediately get a job. Holland wont. That’s how you know what’s the right move.

Holland goes in Summer his contact is up anyway
Nov. 10, 2023 at 2:21 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: aadoyle
Holland goes in Summer his contact is up anyway

This notion that EDM should just fold 12 games in is baffling to me.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 2:58 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 10, 2023 at 3:04 a.m.

Finding a replacement won't be easy and will take time

By the time they find a replacement it potentially could be to late or result in the same outcome

Got a feeling it's fire Wood and see what happens. Holland may make a trade or two as well to try and help. As in the end replacing a coach is easier than president/gm

Vancouver was able to do it as Rutherford was available. Unless they want to go back to Chirelli not many options
Nov. 10, 2023 at 8:27 a.m.

Fold, no. Make changes, yes.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 9:01 a.m.
Go leafs go
Genuine question: is it time to consider a McDavid or Draisitl trade? It’s not working. And we know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result
Nov. 10, 2023 at 9:29 a.m.
Kansler
Quoting: Saskleaf
Genuine question: is it time to consider a McDavid or Draisitl trade? It’s not working. And we know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting a different result

Dont see Mcdavid being traded. With all the old Gretzky-trade traumas still in memory.
Draisaitl on the other hand...
Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.
Ban Price trades

I genuinely think it's time to let both go.

Ken Holland has failed in his mission to repair the Chiarelli Oilers and there isnt anough of anything to provide any long-term solutions.

1. Inappropriate contracts have been awarded not by merit but via loyalty and inept scouting. Kassian was an egregious overpay. Nurse persists as an egregious overpay. Hyman and Kane will likely regress into egregious overpays. For all we've been sold on players wanting to come play with McDavid, it appears that cash remains king when considering a relocation to Edmonton. As an ex-resident, I very much understand this mentality. A scouting decision led to Campbell being signed over Kuemper, not cash. This is a capped-out team that is likely only competitive for at most four more years, at which point a retool or rebuild is inevitable as the core pieces age out.

2. The residue of what used to be Edmonton's prospect system is lacking. Akey may be quality but everything else is middling at best. In four consecutive drafts, Holland and his team has whiffed on their selections. How different do today's Oilers look if instead of Broberg, Holloway, Bourgault, and Schaefer, they had Zegras, Guhle, Wallstedt, and Beck? This is no revisionist history, these are the names that went directly after the Oilers made draft their selections (in Wallstedt's case, I've just voided the trade with Minnesota. The next player selected was Wyatt Johnson, only reinforcing my point). There is no wisdom at play here, no logic worth following. The franchise has been stripped down to stud in the most feeble attempt at giving this team the illusion of competitiveness. Since the 2017 elimination to the Ducks, the Oilers have had depth issues up front, a weak blueline, and inconsistent goaltending. It is always the same song and dance, no matter the GM, coach, or personnel. Our picks are worth little and our prospects are worth less. The futures needed to buy talent at the deadline aren't here.

Moving Connor and Leon today does so while their value is at their highest: despite Edmonton's horrid start, the reputations of these two players alone demands a king's ransom. The Oilers have failed as an organization and wasted the best chance at eternal glory I have ever seen on NHL ice. It's over.

The only path forward that exists for a team with as many holes as this roster maintains is to start over entirely. No other move matters, as the Oilers will not find a way to solve all of their problems. Every AGM I've tried to run can at most solve 2 of the 4 issues plaguing this team at any time. There just isn't anything left and my bank of good will has run dry.

There's a growing part of me that regrets the Oilers not being forced to relocate to Houston in the early 2000s.
gm_jeanguy, yikes, Saskleaf and 2 others liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 10:06 a.m.

I think the Oilers (like the Leafs) will double down on their core when they should shake it up, we'll see if it pays off
Hurricanes_WPG and Saskleaf liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 11:21 a.m.
WentWughes
Didn't McDavid completely ghost out last time he wanted the Oilers coach fired? Seems like he's doing that again. He's invisible on the ice.
capsfan2121 and Otto_Kirov liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 12:48 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan
Quoting: Otto_Kirov
Switch the Oilers and the Condors. Like, put the Condors in the NHL and the Oilers in the AHL. Lets see what happens.

Baby Oilers got kicked in the nuts by the baby Canucks. I’m afraid they can’t escape failure
Otto_Kirov liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 1:02 p.m.
torontos finest
klingberg is """"injured""""
Nov. 10, 2023 at 1:05 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: mondo

I heard he broke "his game in a million pieces", ouch!
Nov. 10, 2023 at 1:08 p.m.
Hakuna Matata

Is this a blessing

A chance to reset for him and the team

Or could this explain some of his issues as apparently its a carryover from preseason

Either way wont need to see him for a bit
Nov. 10, 2023 at 1:27 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Honestly gonna be interesting to see what happens with Frost and Philly

Torts clearly dislikes him and has 0 plans to use him

Just degrading his value as he has done with past players

If im Philly trade him before its to late. Get the value before its gone
HockeyScotty liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
WentWughes

I mean it doesn't really surprise me, It's a monthly occurrence with him.
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 3:06 p.m.
Edited Nov. 10, 2023 at 3:13 p.m.
Flames have B2B games on the road tonight and tomorrow against:
Toronto
Ottawa

They are starting Vladar tonight and most likely Dustin Wolf tomorrow. Seems like a very telling decision. Better player probably stays in Calgary and I think if Vladar drops the ball and Wolf plays well; we'll see Vladar get traded or waived. Starting Monday the Flames then have 8 games in 12 nights with 5 of them on the road so whoever wins should get a few games soon.

Leafs are going with Woll tonight and then Samsonov tomorrow against Vancouver.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 6:10 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Flames have B2B games on the road tonight and tomorrow against:
Toronto
Ottawa

They are starting Vladar tonight and most likely Dustin Wolf tomorrow. Seems like a very telling decision. Better player probably stays in Calgary and I think if Vladar drops the ball and Wolf plays well; we'll see Vladar get traded or waived. Starting Monday the Flames then have 8 games in 12 nights with 5 of them on the road so whoever wins should get a few games soon.

Leafs are going with Woll tonight and then Samsonov tomorrow against Vancouver.

Darth Vladar has returned and he has met a great big Woll
Nov. 10, 2023 at 7:45 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Unless they show us a different cam feed I swear that looks like it went in lul

https://twitter.com/TicTacTOmar/status/1723139371400896551
Nov. 10, 2023 at 8:09 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

Ken Holland has failed in his mission to repair the Chiarelli Oilers and there isnt anough of anything to provide any long-term solutions.

1. Inappropriate contracts have been awarded not by merit but via loyalty and inept scouting. Kassian was an egregious overpay. Nurse persists as an egregious overpay. Hyman and Kane will likely regress into egregious overpays. For all we've been sold on players wanting to come play with McDavid, it appears that cash remains king when considering a relocation to Edmonton. As an ex-resident, I very much understand this mentality. A scouting decision led to Campbell being signed over Kuemper, not cash. This is a capped-out team that is likely only competitive for at most four more years, at which point a retool or rebuild is inevitable as the core pieces age out.

2. The residue of what used to be Edmonton's prospect system is lacking. Akey may be quality but everything else is middling at best. In four consecutive drafts, Holland and his team has whiffed on their selections. How different do today's Oilers look if instead of Broberg, Holloway, Bourgault, and Schaefer, they had Zegras, Guhle, Wallstedt, and Beck? This is no revisionist history, these are the names that went directly after the Oilers made draft their selections (in Wallstedt's case, I've just voided the trade with Minnesota. The next player selected was Wyatt Johnson, only reinforcing my point). There is no wisdom at play here, no logic worth following. The franchise has been stripped down to stud in the most feeble attempt at giving this team the illusion of competitiveness. Since the 2017 elimination to the Ducks, the Oilers have had depth issues up front, a weak blueline, and inconsistent goaltending. It is always the same song and dance, no matter the GM, coach, or personnel. Our picks are worth little and our prospects are worth less. The futures needed to buy talent at the deadline aren't here.

Moving Connor and Leon today does so while their value is at their highest: despite Edmonton's horrid start, the reputations of these two players alone demands a king's ransom. The Oilers have failed as an organization and wasted the best chance at eternal glory I have ever seen on NHL ice. It's over.

The only path forward that exists for a team with as many holes as this roster maintains is to start over entirely. No other move matters, as the Oilers will not find a way to solve all of their problems. Every AGM I've tried to run can at most solve 2 of the 4 issues plaguing this team at any time. There just isn't anything left and my bank of good will has run dry.

There's a growing part of me that regrets the Oilers not being forced to relocate to Houston in the early 2000s.

I completely agree, it’s like the old saying “reshuffling deck chairs on the titanic”. To many things have gone wrong that a complete overhaul seems like the best way forward to me. Firing Woodcroft isnt going to do anything. It needs to be something bigger.

A similar thing can probably be said about the leafs too, though it’s not quite as bad as in Edmonton right now.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BeterChiarelli

Agreed Holland and Wood should go the one issue is who comes in to replace

As a new President/GM gonna take time

Coach will probs be Gallant but as for new GM/President thats where you go hmmm

Maybe they should hire a GM and have Holland just be the president. Stay out of the trades and ****. There's a guy in Carolina who could be very interesting.

Who knows.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 8:28 p.m.
torontos finest
flames got a dude named popsicle
Nov. 10, 2023 at 8:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
flames got a dude named popsicle

Flames should release T-Shirts with flaming popsicles for charity with his name on it
Nov. 10, 2023 at 8:43 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: aadoyle
Agreed Holland and Wood should go the one issue is who comes in to replace

As a new President/GM gonna take time

Coach will probs be Gallant but as for new GM/President thats where you go hmmm

Maybe they should hire a GM and have Holland just be the president. Stay out of the trades and ****. There's a guy in Carolina who could be very interesting.

Who knows.

My god hiring Tulsky would almost be worth it
Nov. 10, 2023 at 9:06 p.m.
Master of Bloodsport
"Caps defenseman Martin Fehervary sustained a lower body injury and will not return to tonight’s game."

Every time, man. Even when they're winning, it's just suffering.
Nov. 10, 2023 at 9:47 p.m.
Craig Laughlin Fan
Quoting: Otto_Kirov
"Caps defenseman Martin Fehervary sustained a lower body injury and will not return to tonight’s game."

Every time, man. Even when they're winning, it's just suffering.

Investigate the training staff for betting against the Capitals
Otto_Kirov liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll