Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

Nov. 23, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 23, 2023 at 5:37 p.m.
Quoting: GarthBrooks
Klingberg to robidas island opening up timmons return
Tomkins on waivers so Vasilevskiy is back

Dont see this being a Robidas thing for Klingberg. Its not like Muzzin or Murray

As hip injuries often are not as bad as Neck or Head injuries

Probs will see him Jan/Feb or near TDL like Muzzin 2 years ago

Cause everyone has said he wants to play and going on LTIR for a month or so could help as he can rest that hip get better than come back.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 6:25 p.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Dont see this being a Robidas thing for Klingberg. Its not like Muzzin or Murray

Cause everyone has said he wants to play and going on LTIR for a month or so could help as he can rest that hip get better than come back.

Yea true then we still need to make a move around that time
Nov. 23, 2023 at 6:50 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: IconicHawk
Nylander strikes me as someone who will fall off a cliff the instant he gets paid like say: MacKinnion or McDavid

Nathan MacKinnon before his extension: 111 pts in 71 gp - 128 pt pace over a full season
Nathan MacKinnon after his extension: 23 pts in 18 gp (so far) - 105 pt pace over a full season

Connor McDavid before his extension: 108 pts in 82 gp
Connor McDavid after his extension: 116 pts in 78 gp - 127 pt pace over a full season

MacKinnon fell off a bit, but he didn't fall off a cliff lmao. McDavid went up in production. Not sure your examples make sense. Better examples are probably Huberdeau and Gaudreau
Nov. 23, 2023 at 6:51 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Apparently this is something that's been plaguing Klingberg for a while. Whether or not he requires surgery will tell us everything we need to know. If it really is something he's been dealing with for his entire career as has been reported, then Im going to go out on a limb and say he's going to need surgery. Patrick Kane missed 5 months from hip surgery, so if Klingberg follows a similar trajectory, then hes out until April. I really doubt we see him again, Mike Johnston was saying you could tell by the way he walks that he's not well.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Nov. 23, 2023 at 7:24 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Apparently this is something that's been plaguing Klingberg for a while. Whether or not he requires surgery will tell us everything we need to know. If it really is something he's been dealing with for his entire career as has been reported, then Im going to go out on a limb and say he's going to need surgery. Patrick Kane missed 5 months from hip surgery, so if Klingberg follows a similar trajectory, then hes out until April. I really doubt we see him again, Mike Johnston was saying you could tell by the way he walks that he's not well.

To me I feel what happened to Muzzin 2 years ago is repeating itself. Basically they gonna rest the living **** out of this guy and dont have him travel with the team.

Cause idk if hes gonna agree to surgery as he wants to play unless its absolutely necessary to extend his playing career (like might do a Kane do it in June)

Maybe he does go out the year but I see it more so what happened with Muzzin. He hurt his neck and was on LTIR till a week after TDL then came back and looked good. To bad following year got KO'D and never came back

But yea would not surprise me if something similar happened or they do a Kucherov (back in playoffs)

Now if he gets surgery yea hes done or back just by the playoffs but idk if he wants to do that.

Will be interesting but yea if they go add a 5m Dman than yea hes done till at least playoffs. Cause despite what people say this team has defensive issues but also has no offensive production from that blue line besides Rielly

Really was hoping he would help with that lul

https://twitter.com/APetrielli/status/1727824446637965407
Nov. 23, 2023 at 7:01 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: GarthBrooks
Yea true then we still need to make a move around that time

Yep now the size of the move will probs be limited to how long hes out

If hes out till playoffs a 4-5m Dman or two guys combined in that range will come

If hes expected back by TDL probs a 1-2m Dman will come
Nov. 23, 2023 at 7:29 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Anyone else know whats going on with Corey Perry

Hes just ninja vanished lul

And all they say is organizational decision
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 7:33 p.m.
Dreger reported that Patrick Kane may join a team next week.

I think that has a lot of potential for whomever gets him. He seems to have had an injury that held him back quite a bit, but for a short while last year when he was pissed off he was amazing.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 8:12 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
Dreger reported that Patrick Kane may join a team next week.

I think that has a lot of potential for whomever gets him. He seems to have had an injury that held him back quite a bit, but for a short while last year when he was pissed off he was amazing.

I feel like he would just click in Florida. Seems like a good landing spot for him
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Nov. 23, 2023 at 8:14 p.m.
lottery team fan
They got 2 of the 5 best centers in the NHL rn and they are looking like they gonna miss the playoffs and both look like they are so close to demanding a trade

Like all that progression seen 2020-2023 gone they look like the 2015-2019 Oilers who missed the playoffs most of the time.

Now there is still a chance but as of now they need to win 66% of their games to do it. Something has to give

Coach and assistant coach already got fired when it was undeserved whose next

Holland's deals up this summer do you trust him making moves rn.

Something has to give as if McDavid demands a trade from the Oilers thats it they are done and this might burn the franchise to the ground. Best player in all hockey rn demanded out.

this was honestly a rhetorical question i'm just bitter that our team was also a SC favorite when we are barely above .500
Nov. 23, 2023 at 9:13 p.m.
Quoting: SnakeDelilah
this was honestly a rhetorical question i'm just bitter that our team was also a SC favorite when we are barely above .500

NJ would be incredibly better off if Vanecek and Schmid could stop a beachball
Nov. 23, 2023 at 10:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
NJ would be incredibly better off if Vanecek and Schmid could stop a beachball

Its funny how so many tandems who were good last year just cant stop beachballs or are struggling bad

Wonder what happened
Nov. 23, 2023 at 11:13 p.m.
Quoting: zk97
Nathan MacKinnon before his extension: 111 pts in 71 gp - 128 pt pace over a full season
Nathan MacKinnon after his extension: 23 pts in 18 gp (so far) - 105 pt pace over a full season

Connor McDavid before his extension: 108 pts in 82 gp
Connor McDavid after his extension: 116 pts in 78 gp - 127 pt pace over a full season

MacKinnon fell off a bit, but he didn't fall off a cliff lmao. McDavid went up in production. Not sure your examples make sense. Better examples are probably Huberdeau and Gaudreau

And MacKinnon "fell off" when Landeskog was out on LTIR
Eissportclub liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 10:07 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Here’s what I don’t get about EDM and some of their fans.

Let’s take the Pens, Crosby comes in, plays for a few years - they realize this is a winning team (Crosby Malkin aka Connor Leon).

2008 before their first cup they trade a first, and handful more to get Dupuis/ Hossa. During the years 2008-2023

2008 - traded first + assets (prospects / players)
2013 - traded first + assets (prospect / players)
2015 - traded first (Barzal) to EDM (who traded that pick for Griffin Reinhart lmfao)
2015 - traded another first + boatload
2017 - traded a first + assets
2018 - traded another first + more
2020 - traded a first + assets
2020 - traded another first + assets
2023 - traded another first + assets

9 firsts + boatloads more always going all in with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury etc. I get EDM doesn’t got a Letang/ Fleury (well they internally think they do with Nurse lol) but cmon..

EDM since 2015 (if we don’t count traded Barzal for Reinhart lol)/ McDavids arrival…

Have:
2021 SWAPPED FIRSTS; Wallstedt for Xavier lmfao
2022 SWAPPED FIRSTS
2023 traded first + 2022 pick (Reid) for Ekholm.

I’m sorry, and I know well studied fans like @BeterChiarelli may disagree with me. But I think watching a in 8 near 9 years with McDavid, RNH, Leon, Nurse just no goalie - not actually have the ability to buy in.. it’s astonishing. It’s some form of complacency that the team’s management has - that fans don’t want to see the team to try and be fixed now that it’s gotten to this situation. There’s also something rotten within the organization and their misdirection on scouting (pro and amateur) and coaching for their goalies.

I’m a Sharks fan; they were a pinnacle of success for nearly 2 decades and never quite got their cup, damn close though. And not for a second was I ever upset our GM did everything possible to try to win. The Sharks current situation is not result of going all in each year for years: it was the belief they didn’t need to rebuild sooner. But it was not the result of buying in when your team could win.
edeangel84, pinslack, zk97 and 4 others liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 10:45 a.m.
JimmyPaek
When talking to a Rangers fan you’ll learn not only is Braden Schneider an untouchable future Norris winner, but Chytil will lead them to a cup 🤣. They are the most delusional fans on CF.

Edit: and apparently Laffy is “breaking out” now! He’s on pace for that top end Alexandre Daigle season.
Hurricanes_WPG liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 10:47 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Quoting: yikes

Let’s take the Pens, Crosby comes in, plays for a few years - they realize this is a winning team (Crosby Malkin aka Connor Leon).

2008 before their first cup they trade a first, and handful more to get Dupuis/ Hossa. During the years 2008-2023

2008 - traded first + assets (prospects / players)
2013 - traded first + assets (prospect / players)
2015 - traded first (Barzal) to EDM (who traded that pick for Griffin Reinhart lmfao)
2015 - traded another first + boatload
2017 - traded a first + assets
2018 - traded another first + more
2020 - traded a first + assets
2020 - traded another first + assets
2023 - traded another first + assets

9 firsts + boatloads more always going all in with Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury etc. I get EDM doesn’t got a Letang/ Fleury (well they internally think they do with Nurse lol) but cmon..

EDM since 2015 (if we don’t count traded Barzal for Reinhart lol)/ McDavids arrival…

Have:
2021 SWAPPED FIRSTS; Wallstedt for Xavier lmfao
2022 SWAPPED FIRSTS
2023 traded first + 2022 pick (Reid) for Ekholm.

I’m sorry, and I know well studied fans like BeterChiarelli may disagree with me. But I think watching a in 8 near 9 years with McDavid, RNH, Leon, Nurse just no goalie - not actually have the ability to buy in.. it’s astonishing. It’s some form of complacency that the team’s management has - that fans don’t want to see the team to try and be fixed now that it’s gotten to this situation. There’s also something rotten within the organization and their misdirection on scouting (pro and amateur) and coaching for their goalies.

I’m a Sharks fan; they were a pinnacle of success for nearly 2 decades and never quite got their cup, damn close though. And not for a second was I ever upset our GM did everything possible to try to win. The Sharks current situation is not result of going all in each year for years: it was the belief they didn’t need to rebuild sooner. But it was not the result of buying in when your team could win.

It’s also some horrible contracts that were given out without having the picks to acquire young talent. The one good thing I feel about the Pens situation is we don’t have a Couture or Vlasic contract.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 10:49 a.m.
JimmyPaek
Its funny how so many tandems who were good last year just cant stop beachballs or are struggling bad

Wonder what happened

Goaltending is a complete crap shoot.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 11:45 a.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: edeangel84
It’s also some horrible contracts that were given out without having the picks to acquire young talent. The one good thing I feel about the Pens situation is we don’t have a Couture or Vlasic contract.

Vlasic contract term was tough but he was one of the world class Defensive D. No one saw the cliff coming. If he was even half the player he was the contract nor term would have been an issue. It was a free fall.

Couture isn’t a problem contractually. And as we’re seeing with SJS; Couture not being apart of the team since camp has had a drastic impact - and shows how valuable he still is. Hopefully he’s healthy and durable after his rehab/ healing.

The issues started from the refuse to rebuild until really last TDL/ this calendar year. the Vlasic contract is just the “rotten cherry” on top. The Sharks shouldn’t have let Pavelski walk - that was a bigger blow than Vlasics anchor in my honest opinion.

The Sharks can fit Vlasic + Campbell plus more dead contracts - money isn’t an issue if they choose to weaponize dead cap/ bad contracts. It’s just a matter of if they do this to fully increase their rebuild success this year.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 11:47 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: edeangel84
When talking to a Rangers fan you’ll learn not only is Braden Schneider an untouchable future Norris winner, but Chytil will lead them to a cup 🤣. They are the most delusional fans on CF.

Edit: and apparently Laffy is “breaking out” now! He’s on pace for that top end Alexandre Daigle season.

58 pt pace seems like breaking out to me considering he's totaled 91 points in seasons prior
Saskleaf and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:27 p.m.
Cap-Friendly challenge:

Scenario: The blowup in Edmonton reaches epic new heights and causes owner Darryl Katz to sell the team, meanwhile the new Flames arena deal falls through devaluing the franchise to the point that the current owners look to relocate. So the NHL decides to merge the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames into a single Alberta team and sell a new expansion franchise on the open market in a new city.

Build your best team from the two rosters, subject to the current salary cap, roster limits, and contract limits. You can either start with the Oilers or Flames and make trades between the two to accomplish your final result.

No trades outside of the two teams are allowed. Draft picks are immaterial for this exercise. No retained salary trades allowed either.

Yes you can hoard all of the prospects as the expansion team will only start with the NHL Roster player "leftovers".

Your lines and pairings have to be reasonable based on actual NHL positions (or prior positions played).

Mine: Alberta TireFires
Nov. 24, 2023 at 12:45 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: HockeyScotty
Cap-Friendly challenge:

Scenario: The blowup in Edmonton reaches epic new heights and causes owner Darryl Katz to sell the team, meanwhile the new Flames arena deal falls through devaluing the franchise to the point that the current owners look to relocate. So the NHL decides to merge the Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames into a single Alberta team and sell a new expansion franchise on the open market in a new city.

Build your best team from the two rosters, subject to the current salary cap, roster limits, and contract limits. You can either start with the Oilers or Flames and make trades between the two to accomplish your final result.

No trades outside of the two teams are allowed. Draft picks are immaterial for this exercise. No retained salary trades allowed either.

Yes you can hoard all of the prospects as the expansion team will only start with the NHL Roster player "leftovers".

Your lines and pairings have to be reasonable based on actual NHL positions (or prior positions played).

Mine: Alberta TireFires

My hypothetical Alberta team would look something like:

Zary - McDavid - Hyman
Draisaitl - Lindholm - Mangipane
Foegele - Dube - Coleman
Ryan - Macleod - Duehr

Weegar - Bouchard
Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Tanev

Wolf
Skinner
Nov. 24, 2023 at 1:01 p.m.
Amirov Forever
image0.jpg?ex=657359c7&is=6560e4c7&hm=9f40b22bef0792a9a0baa070479fe4142ca1b1232cca714436abe75004631472&

I love this website
Nov. 24, 2023 at 1:12 p.m.
Go Habs Go
image0.jpg?ex=657359c7&is=6560e4c7&hm=9f40b22bef0792a9a0baa070479fe4142ca1b1232cca714436abe75004631472&

I love this website

People get so irate. It's not like it's going to happen just because it gets posted a lot. We aren't willing trades into existence by proposing them. XD
edeangel84 liked this.
Nov. 24, 2023 at 1:16 p.m.
My hypothetical Alberta team would look something like:

Zary - McDavid - Hyman
Draisaitl - Lindholm - Mangipane
Foegele - Dube - Coleman
Ryan - Macleod - Duehr

Weegar - Bouchard
Hanifin - Andersson
Zadorov - Tanev

Wolf
Skinner

Was it cap compliant?
Nov. 24, 2023 at 1:25 p.m.
Quoting: yikes

I’m sorry, and I know well studied fans like BeterChiarelli may disagree with me. But I think watching a in 8 near 9 years with McDavid, RNH, Leon, Nurse just no goalie - not actually have the ability to buy in.. it’s astonishing.

The team (and somehow the fans are completely smitten with every prospect. I will never understand it.

I remember during the 19-20 season Kuemper had just signed a two yr extension at the beginning of the season. Oil were hot to trot with Tippett as the new coach, hopes were high, and they were looking for goaltending (evergreen). Rumours they were heavily interested in Kuemper, but then broke down over the first rounder at the deadline. Team gets upset by the Blackhawk in the weird COVID short season.

Fans that summer were elated that they turned down two and a half years of prime Darcy Kuemper (at 1.8, 4.5, 4.5 cap) for ... Dylan Holloway. No knock on Holloway, but you have to read the moment. McDrai aren't going to play forever, and they keep pissing away entire seasons. Give me a cup or even a serious run over Dylan Holloway (or the chance at a prospect in the last half of the first) anyday if I was the Oil GM back then.

The fans freaking love all these decisions when they are made, too, which is the most baffling part.
Saskleaf and yikes liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll