Dec. 29, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
Man its good to be right about Philly lul

People were doubting them but I said you get healthy they can be scary
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
do not Devil my ass
Someone make a trade already.
Saskleaf, ricochetii and Leafsfan98 liked this.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 12:44 p.m.
Respect Mike Grier
Quoting: aadoyle
Man its good to be right about Philly lul

People were doubting them but I said you get healthy they can be scary

Too many people thought Couturier forgot how to play hockey because he was injured.

It's an overused way of thinking imo. We've seen it with Kane too, who had hip re-surfacing surgery and is now playing better than he has in years.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 3:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Dec. 29, 2023 at 4:38 p.m.
These refs wow thats a blown call

Should be 2mins at least

Guess NHL refs got competition now
Dec. 29, 2023 at 4:03 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Quoting: mv21227
A team with average goaltending (far below average without Woll), and an average defense that is also a combined 2-7 against Chicago, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Columbus is not better than a team that’s second in the league with an elite goalie, a better defense, and a deeper forward group. The Leafs have better top end forwards than the Canucks, that’s it

Yes, they are... Especially considering how long their starter's been out for... And playing in the toughest division in the NHL...

Toronto is better than Vancouver... So is Colorado... And so is every other team in that top category...

Vancouver can't beat any of the teams I've outlined... So I dock them points for it...
Dec. 29, 2023 at 4:47 p.m.
Quoting: Leafsfan98
Yes, they are... Especially considering how long their starter's been out for... And playing in the toughest division in the NHL...

Toronto is better than Vancouver... So is Colorado... And so is every other team in that top category...

Vancouver can't beat any of the teams I've outlined... So I dock them points for it...

The Leafs also have 1 win against the teams you mentioned. And the Canucks got robbed against the Rangers when they played

The Canucks have 8 wins against teams currently in a playoff spot (Dallas, Carolina, NY Islanders, Florida x2, Nashville x3), while the Leafs only have 6 (NY Rangers, Vancouver, Nashville, Washington, Florida, Dallas)

The Leafs only have 10 regulation wins, while the Canucks have 22

The Canucks have a deeper forward group, a better defense, and better goaltending than the Leafs. They are undoubtedly the better team right now
Dec. 29, 2023 at 5:52 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
The Leafs also have 1 win against the teams you mentioned. And the Canucks got robbed against the Rangers when they played

The Canucks have 8 wins against teams currently in a playoff spot (Dallas, Carolina, NY Islanders, Florida x2, Nashville x3), while the Leafs only have 6 (NY Rangers, Vancouver, Nashville, Washington, Florida, Dallas)

The Leafs only have 10 regulation wins, while the Canucks have 22

The Canucks have a deeper forward group, a better defense, and better goaltending than the Leafs. They are undoubtedly the better team right now

Toronto beat: NYR, Dallas, Vancouver... out of 6 games...

Got unlucky vs NYR and took Boston to a shootout and OT...while playing with 5 defence... Great Comp...

And? The Canucks have had one of the easiest schedules thus far with one of the highest PDOs of all time... But notice how the Canucks lost to the Leafs head to head and have generally beaten up on Florida and Nashville, two teams that have either dealt with significantly injuries to their defensive core when they were beat or are barely in the playoffs...

Leafs are way deeper than the Canucks... Leafs have 3 1/2 lines that can score and be nasty to deal with... Leafs have better defence... and I'll give Demko his flowers... Edge: Toronto...
Dec. 29, 2023 at 5:57 p.m.
Toronto beat: NYR, Dallas, Vancouver... out of 6 games...

Got unlucky vs NYR and took Boston to a shootout and OT...while playing with 5 defence... Great Comp...

And? The Canucks have had one of the easiest schedules thus far with one of the highest PDOs of all time... But notice how the Canucks lost to the Leafs head to head and have generally beaten up on Florida and Nashville, two teams that have either dealt with significantly injuries to their defensive core when they were beat or are barely in the playoffs...

Leafs are way deeper than the Canucks... Leafs have 3 1/2 lines that can score and be nasty to deal with... Leafs have better defence... and I'll give Demko his flowers... Edge: Toronto...

Forwards: Leafs have better high end (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares) but the Canucks depth is much better (Garland, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Hoglander, Blueger etc.)

Defense: Hughes is far and away the best dman on either team. Hronek is better than any Leafs dman. Cole, Soucy, Zadorov is at worst equal with the Leafs #3 through 5 dmen. Myers is okay as a 6th dman

Goaltending: we agree Demko is clearly the better goalie

Coach: I’d take Tocchet over Keefe
Dec. 29, 2023 at 7:38 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quick just made save of the year
Dec. 29, 2023 at 10:04 p.m.
Tre really screwed Sammy over giving him a 1 year deal i think most GMs would've signed him longterm after last season and playoff run. If his mediocre play continues hes gonna have to take a significant discount this offseason to prove he's NHL caliber.

.714 is a crazy save percentage today
Dec. 29, 2023 at 10:07 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: GarthBrooks
Tre really screwed Sammy over giving him a 1 year deal i think most GMs would've signed him longterm after last season and playoff run. If his mediocre play continues hes gonna have to take a significant discount this offseason to prove he's NHL caliber.

Bro what 💀

The 1 year deal was due to an arbitrator. Samsonov wanted 4.9m, the team wanted 2.9m. Thank god we didn't commit to him long term, he is far too inconsistent. He's literally the worst goalie in the league at the moment. Attributing this lack of success to contract length is laughable IMO, he was on a 1 year deal last year and was fantastic.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 10:10 p.m.
Amirov Forever

Watching Ilya Samsonov this season has been torture
Dec. 29, 2023 at 10:22 p.m.
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05
Bro what 💀

The 1 year deal was due to an arbitrator. Samsonov wanted 4.9m, the team wanted 2.9m. Thank god we didn't commit to him long term, he is far too inconsistent. He's literally the worst goalie in the league at the moment. Attributing this lack of success to contract length is laughable IMO, he was on a 1 year deal last year and was fantastic.

No I meant yea its on him its more i agree we woulda gotten screwed if we signed him longterm as a cele after how well he played and taking us to the 2nd round sorta on his back with Matthews. Cudos to Tre we dodged a disaster
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 10:35 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: GarthBrooks

GCC-2RRW4AA5W0X?format=jpg&name=medium

Hes been an issue but there's more in play here and its not good

This is not the environment rn for a struggling goalie as defense wont save him lul. Didnt save Woll either and now hes hurt cause he had to work his body to the limit
Dec. 29, 2023 at 10:44 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
The thing im concerned with for TOR

They are gonna trade for a goalie whose really good elsewhere hes gonna come but struggle and the reason the above stuff lul

And with the assets spent to get said goalie they wont have anything for defense
Dec. 29, 2023 at 11:21 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Quoting: aadoyle
The thing im concerned with for TOR

They are gonna trade for a goalie whose really good elsewhere hes gonna come but struggle and the reason the above stuff lul

And with the assets spent to get said goalie they wont have anything for defense

Yeah because that's definitely affected the other 2 Goalies we've used this season.

Treliving is set on addressing the blue line. We aren't spending assets on a goalie, especially given how aggressive the market will be, just roll with Hildebeast
Dec. 29, 2023 at 11:24 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Dec. 29, 2023 at 11:37 p.m.
Yeah because that's definitely affected the other 2 Goalies we've used this season.

Treliving is set on addressing the blue line. We aren't spending assets on a goalie, especially given how aggressive the market will be, just roll with Hildebeast

Idk if the right deal happens maybe

LA got Korpisalo + Gavrikov for a 1st + 3rd and Quick who was struggling 0.876sv

Now im not saying to do that as I feel if things improve defensively and we let Sammy get his confidence back look out but there are options

In general rn so many teams are not getting goaltending its basically hard to pinpoint anything
Dec. 29, 2023 at 11:45 p.m.
Fill in the blank:

In 2024-25, Sam Reinhart’s AAV will be ____% of William Nylander’s AAV.
Dec. 29, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:27 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Fill in the blank:

I think both are gonna make the same as to the amount or at least be to close to say by how much

Basically what happened with Svechnikov and Coutourier

But got to think minimum 9.5m to start but im gonna say if Rein walks to FA and outside FLA 9.75m VGK Nylander 9.85m somewhere
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:13 a.m.
Quoting: NHLfan10506
Fill in the blank:

I'm gonna say like 85ish. Little less history of producing like this, Nylander is still outpacing him in points, and whether Willy signs with the Leafs or elsewhere, there will still be a Toronto tax
NHLfan10506 liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 12:14 p.m.
Amirov Forever
The Jets honestly have a super underrated future in the NHL. Their prospect pool is one of my favourites in the league, and they look poised to be elite in the coming years

Brad Lambert
Elias Salomonsson
Chaz Lucius
Colby Barlow
Fabian Wagner
Ville Heinola

They've quietly done really well for themselves and I personally cannot wait to see Lambert in the show
Saskleaf liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:08 p.m.
The Jets honestly have a super underrated future in the NHL. Their prospect pool is one of my favourites in the league, and they look poised to be elite in the coming years

Brad Lambert
Elias Salomonsson
Chaz Lucius
Colby Barlow
Fabian Wagner
Ville Heinola

They've quietly done really well for themselves and I personally cannot wait to see Lambert in the show

*Eye starts twitching*
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:12 p.m.
Leafs going to Leafs
Forwards: Leafs have better high end (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares) but the Canucks depth is much better (Garland, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Hoglander, Blueger etc.)

Defense: Hughes is far and away the best dman on either team. Hronek is better than any Leafs dman. Cole, Soucy, Zadorov is at worst equal with the Leafs #3 through 5 dmen. Myers is okay as a 6th dman

Goaltending: we agree Demko is clearly the better goalie

Coach: I’d take Tocchet over Keefe

Just a run down on the Leafs vs Vancouver step by step on the forward group:
Matthews>>>>>Petey, don't even try to debate otherwise...
Marner>>>Miller, another one, don't even try
Nylander>>>>Boeser, again, see previous
JT>>>>>Kuzmenko, see previous...

Depth:
Bert>Garland, Just making this close bc I know how much you LOVE Garland... But Bert's better
Domi>>Mikheyev?... Is it him or Lafferty? Either way, Domi is better
Jarnkrok>>Lafferty... Laff is a slightly worse version of Jarny... So you know whom I'm giving the edge to...
Knies>>>>Hoglander... Just everything about Knies is built for the run and gun style of hockey, crash and bang, is fast, in front for tips and screens
Leafs others>>Rielly... Despite Rielly clearly producing more of a two way game and putting up more points while taking on 25 mins a night, Hughes is better
Hronek<
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:49 p.m.

Depth:
Bert>Garland, Just making this close bc I know how much you LOVE Garland... But Bert's better
Jarnkrok>>Lafferty... Laff is a slightly worse version of Jarny... So you know whom I'm giving the edge to...
Knies>>>>Hoglander... Just everything about Knies is built for the run and gun style of hockey, crash and bang, is fast, in front for tips and screens
Leafs others>>Rielly... Despite Rielly clearly producing more of a two way game and putting up more points while taking on 25 mins a night, Hughes is better
Hronek<

I agree with your assessment of the top 4 forwards, although I’d compare them based on their roles like this

Matthews > Pettersson (#1 centers)
Marner > Boeser (best winger)
Nylander > Kuzmenko (#2 winger)
Tavares < Miller (#2 center)

For the depth players
Garland > Bertuzzi (despite struggling points wise, playing 2 and a half less minutes per game, and having an awful SH%, Garland still has more points, is better defensively, and is an elite play driver)

Mikheyev > Domi (not that close imo, somewhat similar offensively but I’d give an edge to Mikheyev there, and Mikheyev is far better defensively)

Lafferty = Jarnkrok (can understand taking Jarnkrok but Lafferty has been so good this year)

Hoglander = Knies (for rn, future wise I’d take Knies)

Blueger > Kampf (not close)

Joshua > Gregor? Not sure who’d be next but I’d take Joshua
Dec. 30, 2023 at 2:51 p.m.

Depth:
Hronek<

If we go to dmen also

Hughes >>>> Rielly
Hronek >>>> Brodie
Cole > McCabe
Zadorov < Liljegren
Soucy > Giordano/Timmins

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll