SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

Dec. 31, 2023 at 2:19 p.m.
I’m multitasking, hopefully not erroneously wrong:

It’s nuts to me that only 5 teams could claim samsonov without a roster move.

17 teams using ltir allowance against the ceiling.

Cap cannot raise fast enuff. It’s nuts that 30+ games into the season “nobody” could fit roughly 65 percent of 3.5x.

They really shoulda given teams some pressure relief, like a covid tag for 35+ contracts, 1 per org, or something where they ended up as half hits but were otherwise 35+ contracts.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 2:21 p.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: capsfan2121
I knew he would come back down to earth. He was like that in Washington. That’s why we let him go for nothing

0.912 to 0.862 is an insane decline though over a year. Something's going on with him mentally, I don't think he's this bad.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 2:42 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
0.912 to 0.862 is an insane decline though over a year. Something's going on with him mentally, I don't think he's this bad.

That 2015 draft it was like Samsonov 1st round but then in the lower rounds it was adin hill, Montembault, vejmelka. The draft was weird in general though so many late round gems
Dec. 31, 2023 at 3:18 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: CantStopWontStop
I’m multitasking, hopefully not erroneously wrong:

It’s nuts to me that only 5 teams could claim samsonov without a roster move.

17 teams using ltir allowance against the ceiling.

Cap cannot raise fast enuff. It’s nuts that 30+ games into the season “nobody” could fit roughly 65 percent of 3.5x.

They really shoulda given teams some pressure relief, like a covid tag for 35+ contracts, 1 per org, or something where they ended up as half hits but were otherwise 35+ contracts.

Kind of the risk associated with spending money before you have it and part of cap management.
There's also no guarantee the cap goes up by a certain amount every season.
Perhaps you can't predict the impact of Covid, but you can plan to allow flexibility each season.
It's a unique challenge which separates the good GMs from the bad ones.
A_Habs_fan and Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Kind of the risk associated with spending money before you have it and part of cap management.
There's also no guarantee the cap goes up by a certain amount every season.
Perhaps you can't predict the impact of Covid, but you can plan to allow flexibility each season.
It's a unique challenge which separates the good GMs from the bad ones.

Good point, but I do feel one feature that pumps value to being the most competitive league in the world is the ability to take risk. I think that’s why the nfl is king in the us: you can measure risk taken any given play even, let alone roster.

This situation has made everybody in the nhl so risk averse and bound that numerous gms are really on autopilot, each decision is mostly made for them since there aren’t many options, and risky options are highly devalued.

Hard to measure a gms quality when they can’t do anything.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 4:07 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Good point, but I do feel one feature that pumps value to being the most competitive league in the world is the ability to take risk. I think that’s why the nfl is king in the us: you can measure risk taken any given play even, let alone roster.

This situation has made everybody in the nhl so risk averse and bound that numerous gms are really on autopilot, each decision is mostly made for them since there aren’t many options, and risky options are highly devalued.

Hard to measure a gms quality when they can’t do anything.

While there were teams struggling with the cap, there were also teams with lots of space.
The cap is supposed to be a mechanism for parity. You aren't supposed to be able to keep every player you want and that talent is supposed to end up being more evenly distributed because of it.
Teams being able to pay their way out of bad contracts kind of goes against that, since they can keep all the good talent and unload the bad, but it at least costs them futures to do so which creates a balance over an extended period of time. Giving them "free outs" when things are tough, gives them more of an advantage than the teams who don't need that relief and/or have better managed their spending.
Capped teams typically already have a competitive advantage. Extra measures would only create more of an imbalance. They can get cap relief if they pay for it and that's enough.
A_Habs_fan, HockeyScotty, CantStopWontStop and 2 others liked this.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 4:51 p.m.
Bedard23
Samsonov's getting waived.

Entirely expected. He's been unplayable.

Bust label now confirmed true
Sharkie69 liked this.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 5:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
NHL refs have competition for worst refs now

As WJC refs this year be taking the title
Dec. 31, 2023 at 6:09 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: aadoyle
NHL refs have competition for worst refs now

As WJC refs this year be taking the title

If you're referencing the Geekie hit, the rules in the IIHF games are different than the NHL/CHL rules. Have to make a play for the puck always. Hit was clean, just against the international rules.
aadoyle and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 6:11 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
If you're referencing the Geekie hit, the rules in the IIHF games are different than the NHL/CHL rules. Have to make a play for the puck always. Hit was clean, just against the international rules.

Not that one more so the no call on Beck getting hit vs. Sweden and the only 2mins for boarding this game

Seems to be a growing theme even in other games

Just seems refs dont know whats what lul

Anyways hope Poitras is good
Dec. 31, 2023 at 6:59 p.m.
Edited Dec. 31, 2023 at 7:08 p.m.
For what it’s worth during the off season I was the loudest voice that samsonov should have gotten closer to the leafs ask during arb and my comparable was Husso (the one he signed with stl not det). Looks like even I aimed too high.

There’s prob lotsa goalies available making them kinda cheap. Binnington would do well in Toronto.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 7:18 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
For what it’s worth during the off season I was the loudest voice that samsonov should have gotten closer to the leafs ask during arb and my comparable was Husso (the one he signed with stl not det). Looks like even I aimed too high.

There’s prob lotsa goalies available making them kinda cheap. Binnington would do well in Toronto.

NTU want nothing to do with that contract

In general Toronto does not need to trade for a goalie

They voodo, inconsistent, etc.

Jones has a 0.915 here, We then have Woll coming back and who knows Sammy could rediscover himself with the Marlies and come back better. And then who knows what Hildeby or Petruzzeli could do.

Going and getting a 6m goalie whose been inconsistent would be a mine waiting to go off

Better to spend assets on fixing the defense rn
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Dec. 31, 2023 at 7:48 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Officials:
Try as they might to hand DET the 'DUB' - BOS won anyway!
Brutal work stripes - mandatory drug testing should go both ways.

HNY ALL
cheers
Dec. 31, 2023 at 9:08 p.m.
torontos finest
habs took advantage of the ref's first day at work

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/1741634478903071038
Dec. 31, 2023 at 9:19 p.m.
Amirov Forever

More team need to employ the tactic of playing the in arena music during the play
Dec. 31, 2023 at 10:11 p.m.
Go Habs Go

Nobody going to the net to force the cover, therefore no whistle. Ref wasn't at fault, Tampa had a brainfart.
That's why a player always goes to the net to make sure the puck is held until the whistle blows. This is what can happen when you don't.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jan. 1 at 2:15 a.m.
Amirov Forever
Happy New Years everyone!

Now that we are officially in 2024, who do you guys think is bringing home the Cup this year? My money is on the Avs
CantStopWontStop, Saskleaf, Sharkie69 and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 1 at 5:01 a.m.
Kansler
Quoting: NorthernLeafsFan05

Now that we are officially in 2024, who do you guys think is bringing home the Cup this year? My money is on the Avs

If Dallas just goes and gets one strong defender at deadline, so they dont need to play Suter that much, then my money is on Stars.
Oettinger when healthy being his normal self.
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Jan. 1 at 6:37 a.m.
Edited Jan. 1 at 8:30 a.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Nobody going to the net to force the cover, therefore no whistle. Ref wasn't at fault, Tampa had a brainfart.
That's why a player always goes to the net to make sure the puck is held until the whistle blows. This is what can happen when you don't.

I’m sticking with last years prediction:

Leafs oilers final.

Talent > all. No offense to the rest, but nobody has the talent they do. They’re at prime ages now. Theyre both facing real regular season setbacks. They’re hungry and tested. Impossible for me to pick a winner of the two. The games must be played. Somebody in 7 max chaos plz. Cheapest scalped ticket to that game = 10k usd.
Jan. 1 at 10:51 a.m.
Bedard23

Still haven’t changed my cup winner, I’m picking the stars
Steven_Stamkos liked this.
Jan. 1 at 11:50 a.m.

As of right now, I would go with the Kings. They have such a deep and talented roster, blend of experience, youth, talent/grit. I do think they need a 1B behind Talbot; but he is channeling "me against the world" power right now and has a TON to prove (as well as a contract/payday to earn).

While I love my Avs, we are back to the one-line squad from pre-Cup years and have no depth to ride any injuries during the playoffs. We need a 2C to matchup against playoff teams and that is a hard position to add mid-season without a major chemistry disruption. If we keep going at the rate we are now, we could be the top team in the regular season and have no gas left in the tank from Nate and Val who are playing way too much.

The West is just stacked though with a surging Oiler team the Pacific now has 4 powerhouse teams. The Jets are legit in the Central making the top three a dogfight. Whoever gets that #1 seed has a HUGE advantage so the playoff chase will be intense.

The East is such a muddle, but Florida/Boston seem to be the premiere teams with the Panthers getting healthy; but any team could go on a run and be a top team. The Rangers still seem like a regular season champ but maybe they can add at the TDL.
CantStopWontStop liked this.
Jan. 1 at 12:07 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork

Before I pick my favourite to win the Stanley cup, I think I need to say who makes the playoffs to narrow it down.

Eastern Conference: Atlantic Division
#1: Bruins: - Should still be a dominant force in the new year
#2: Panthers: - Definitely is the Bruins biggest threat. Anyone who has to play them should be scared.
#3: Leafs - Even with the questionable goaltending, they will still make the postseason
#4: Lightning - Can’t count them out just yet

Eastern Conference: Metropolitan Division
#1: Rangers - Amazing team, defiantly are cup favourites
#2: Hurricanes - Good but they won’T win the cup with that goaltending
#3: Devils - will have a bounce back in the new year, same problem as Carolina though
#4: Flyers - They Will cool down in the new year but will still make the playoffs

Western Conference: Central Division
#1: Stars - Easy Cup favourites, Oetinger needs to play better though
#2: - Avalanche good team but the goaltending is a little questionable
#3: Jets - Powerhouse team, will have a similar second half to the Flyers
#4: Predators - Solid team all around
#5: Coyotes - Shocker but if Ingram continues to play well, this team is an easy lock for the playoffs

Western Conference: Pacific Division
#1: Knights - Still are cup favourites
#2: Canucks - great team but the lack of expense will be their downfall
#3: Kings - Also cup favourites

Now with that out of the way let’s do the picks:

Bruins VS Lightning: Bruins win 4-0
Panthers VS Leafs: Panthers win 4-3
Rangers VS Flyers: Rangers win 4-2
Hurricanes VS Devils: Hurricanes win 4-3

Bruins VS Panthers: Panthers win 4-3
Rangers VS Hurricanes: Rangers win 4-2

Rangers VS Panthers: Rangers win 4-3
——————————————————
Knights VS Coyotes: Knight win 4-1
Canucks VS Kings: Canucks win 4-3
Stars VS Predators: Stars win 4-0
Avalanche VS Jets: Jets win 4-3

Knights VS Canucks: Knights win 4-3
Stars VS Jets: Stars win 4-3

Knights VS Stars: Stars Win 4-3

Rangers VS Stars: Stars win 4-2
———————————————
Why did I choose this team?

As an entirety, this Stars team is good. We saw the, take the Knights to six games and easily could have one game six. The team is definitely better than last year with the likes of Duchene. I expect Oetinger to have a better second half of the season but only time can tell. I’m no analyst so this prediction is going to be very, very wrong. But hey, what’s wrong with guessing?
Jan. 1 at 3:17 p.m.

If the avs add a 2C , I think they’ll win it. But as of right now I’d go with the stars.
Jan. 1 at 3:17 p.m.
Bedard23
These Vegas winter classic jerseys are clean
Jan. 1 at 3:55 p.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
These Vegas winter classic jerseys are clean

Saw an article that the Kraken are getting sued for theirs due to copyright infringement from the guy who owns the OG Seattle Metropolitan trademarks. Guess he pitched them ideas and they said no we'll go in a different direction then basically just copied his.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll