SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2023-2024 NHL Discussion Thread #2: Early Overreactions

Jan. 1 at 4:13 p.m.
NoQuitInNewYork
Now that the 2023 NHL Season is offically over, what was yall’s favourite moment, least favourite moment, saddest moment and most shocking moment?
NorthernLeafsFan05 liked this.
Jan. 1 at 4:23 p.m.
Amirov Forever
Edited Jan. 1 at 6:03 p.m.
Quoting: Scooter81
Now that the 2023 NHL Season is offically over, what was yall’s favourite moment, least favourite moment, saddest moment and most shocking moment?

Favourite moment: John Tavares wraparound goal to end the Leafs playoff drought

Least favourite moment: "We want Florida!"

Saddest moment: Adam Johnson's and Rodion Amirov's tragic passings

Most surprising moment: Bedard going 1st (In all seriousness, I was shocked when Chicago jumped up to first in the draft)
Scooter81 liked this.
Jan. 1 at 5:06 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Favourite moment: Bracco no longer a 1st Rounder trade option on TML ACGMs

Least favourite moment: Bracco no longer a 1st Rounder trade option on TML ACGMs

Saddest moment: Mike Babcock hiring

Most surprising moment: Mike Babcock firing (not really)...
Tintin and BeterChiarelli liked this.
Jan. 2 at 12:30 a.m.
Started a life advice/venting thread in The Box that I hope will help some people and let us get to know each other better beyond hockey.

I started it off with a situation I'm having. If anyone wants to read and comment or post some of their own problems/questions:

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/786758
Jan. 2 at 2:57 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
I know there are rules for this but the fact Hartman was caught saying he would deliberately high stick should have been an auto 1 game suspension

As he basically was caught with his pants down admitting to retaliation

Like now guys know hey I can do this and at most only take a 2min penalty and get fined 4k

NHL should have set an example and went we dont want that here. As it may just be me but that sounds like intent to injure
Jan. 2 at 3:29 p.m.
Special shout out to Edmonton for signing Kassian to that ridiculous contract then allowing us to trade up to get Maveric Lameroux, a third rounder this year, and another second next year to get rid of him.
Jan. 2 at 3:58 p.m.
Go Habs Go
Quoting: aadoyle
I know there are rules for this but the fact Hartman was caught saying he would deliberately high stick should have been an auto 1 game suspension

As he basically was caught with his pants down admitting to retaliation

Like now guys know hey I can do this and at most only take a 2min penalty and get fined 4k

NHL should have set an example and went we dont want that here. As it may just be me but that sounds like intent to injure

Part of the agreement with players wearing microphones is that captured audio is inadmissable for disciplinary measures.
Clear intent to injure and should have been slammed hard as a deterrent, but the league's hands are tied. They can only use the video and determine it was "reckless" in some form.
NHL is too soft on taking action so it wouldn't have been the lengthy suspension necessary to send the message anyway.
This was at just below Perron's crosscheck on Zub. A stick attack to the face against an unrelated party in an act of retaliation. Non-hockey plays should always be punished harshly. The only difference is that this happened during play.
Jan. 2 at 5:18 p.m.
Quoting: ricochetii
Part of the agreement with players wearing microphones is that captured audio is inadmissable for disciplinary measures.
Clear intent to injure and should have been slammed hard as a deterrent, but the league's hands are tied. They can only use the video and determine it was "reckless" in some form.
NHL is too soft on taking action so it wouldn't have been the lengthy suspension necessary to send the message anyway.
This was at just below Perron's crosscheck on Zub. A stick attack to the face against an unrelated party in an act of retaliation. Non-hockey plays should always be punished harshly. The only difference is that this happened during play.

I am a little surprised he got a fine at all. It was a bad play, but league has been a lot looser with that stuff this year. Especially with hits from behind and headshots. It’s the old goons vs goals debate and goons are winning in a landslide.

(Also, if it exists, Jets should release the audio)
Jan. 2 at 9:19 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Game Gospel:
"The 4-goal lead is the hardest to defend in all of hawkey..."
LOL
WASH 4 PITT 3, after-2.
Jan. 2 at 9:33 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Lohrei on BOS spittin' chicklets!

& not the 'podcast' type either!
Jan. 2 at 9:51 p.m.
I make typos
those Vegas winter classic jerseys are atrocious, very much not for my liking

also, saw that Pietrangelo is still using his patented two hand slash
Jan. 2 at 10:15 p.m.
I make typos
900 NHL points for McDavid on Hymans 22nd of the year, 602 games for McDavid
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:19 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: oilersguy
900 NHL points for McDavid on Hymans 22nd of the year, 602 games for McDavid

Was just looking, crazy to think he's already 124th in points in NHL History. Could legitimately end up top 5.
oilersguy liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:40 p.m.
I make typos
Quoting: KSIxSKULLS
Was just looking, crazy to think he's already 124th in points in NHL History. Could legitimately end up top 5.

for sure, I personally think that there is chance he could end up with 2000, especially is scorings keeps going up
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:42 p.m.
WentWughes
Quoting: oilersguy
for sure, I personally think that there is chance he could end up with 2000, especially is scorings keeps going up

I'd say 1500 is a lock barring any injuries. If Bouchard becomes an Elite #1 offensive defensemen, it's a possibility.
oilersguy and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 2 at 10:57 p.m.
WentWughes
McDavid's going on a point bender again
oilersguy liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:02 p.m.
WentWughes
McDavid has had more 2 point (or more) games than he's had 0 point games in his career. Insane stat.
oilersguy and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:17 p.m.
I make typos
McDavid's going on a point bender again

5 so far tonight
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:19 p.m.
I'd say 1500 is a lock barring any injuries. If Bouchard becomes an Elite #1 offensive defensemen, it's a possibility.

I wonder if he gets to 1000 this year. Would need to play at about a 2 PPG pace, which he could do. Think he probably falls just short though
KSIxSKULLS liked this.
Jan. 2 at 11:43 p.m.
Bedard23
Imagine telling someone in 2017 that the Jets and the Canucks would be vying for the title of Canada’s best team

You’d probably be laughed out the building
mv21227 liked this.
Jan. 3 at 12:31 a.m.
Quoting: IconicHawk
Imagine telling someone in 2017 that the Jets and the Canucks would be vying for the title of Canada’s best team

You’d probably be laughed out the building

It helps that they’re the only 2 Canadian teams with an elite goalie. I am very surprised about the Jets though, I thought they should’ve shaken things up rather than re-sign Scheifele and Hellebuyck but they’ve definitely proven me wrong this year

Western conference playoffs are gonna be wild, especially if Edmonton can continue their recent play
Jan. 3 at 1:04 a.m.
Hakuna Matata
U think LA ever regrets the PLD trade

Sure they got 4 strong C's

But look at how Vilardi's and Iafallo are doing in WPG and both combines cost bit more than 1m less then him
Jan. 3 at 1:12 a.m.
torontos finest
martin jones has two shutouts with this leafs team lmao
Jan. 3 at 1:45 a.m.
Go Habs Go

But look at how Vilardi's and Iafallo are doing in WPG and both combines cost bit more than 1m less then him

I think they felt Dubois had the higher ceiling and was closer to it, while they grew frustrated with Vilardi's back issues which cost him development time.
Iafallo was replaceable and they needed to move cap somehow. He's not performing any better or worse really, so not a factor.

Too early to know if Dubois or Vilardi end up providing more value in the long run. It doesn't look good right now, but it also hasn't been long.
Jan. 3 at 10:19 a.m.
Edited Jan. 3 at 11:45 a.m.

Maybe a win win as both teams are so solid after, and all the players involved are so young.

Cheveldayoff’s patience is on Sakic level. Honestly I think when looking at the Jets situation 2 years ago you had to think, “they’re screwed”. Yet here they are extremely solid, younger, and playing extremely good hockey with a fair shot at first in their conference this week.

And LA set the bar extremely high for retooling a roster and timeframes. 5, 2, 8 OA then right back up. You need players to age to do that, and they made that happen which is more than a dozen other teams can say. Consider STL: we need a PLd type exchange of ages to push up. We have 25, 23, 21 year olds in key roles (Kyrou Thomas neighbors alexandrov - who? Our 3C when all things are right. Would be a difference maker if alexandrov were 27 as an example). The kings fast forwarded 2-3 years. Is my complaint about Doug Armstrong as we also have the most points for any team at world juniors - way too much organizational firepower outside of key performing ages. If you transfer 25% of that to the active roster via PLD like trade you have a playoff team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll