2021-2022 NHL Discussion Thread #9 - Happy Holidays

Jan. 7, 2022 at 2:13 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: aadoyle
Well they did want to keep him so kind of expected

https://mobile.twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1479179793132359682

This was a Pridham move for cap benefits

???

It had nothing to do with the leafs whether or not he cleared though...
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 2:15 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Is e rod having a fluke season

As of now yes but the future will tell
Saskleaf and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 2:25 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137
Quoting: aadoyle
Well they did want to keep him so kind of expected

https://mobile.twitter.com/koshtorontosun/status/1479179793132359682

This was a Pridham move for cap benefits

I think they would have been very happy if another team claimed him, especially with the cap space it could have created now and in the future. I’ve seen nothing from Ritchie, riding shotgun to Matthews/Marner or Tavares/Nylander that a conditioning stint with the Marlies will improve his game.

He is just not a fit on the Lesfs. When healthy he is the 13th forward 🤷‍♂️
Saskleaf, capsfan2121 and yikes liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 3:44 p.m.
Daddy
Was researching the hockey hall of fame, and some of the people not inducted and was shocked to see Steve Larmer was as good as he was. Compared to some of the RW inducted I don't see why he wasn't. I'm too young to have ever watched him so maybe I'm missing something.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 3:47 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Zegras is my favorite non-Devils player
He's a beauty
capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan, zk97 and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Ignore it did it three times
Jan. 7, 2022 at 3:50 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Ignore it did it three times
Jan. 7, 2022 at 4:22 p.m.
Farewell
Edited Jan. 7, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
Current Trophy Tracker (both official and unofficial), IMO:

Hart: 1) McDavid 2) Draisaitl 3) Ovechkin
I think we can all agree on the nominees as of now. McDavid and Draisaitl are neck-and-neck in the stat sheet right now, but McDavid is the leader at this point in my mind simply because I think he's more valuable to his team than any other player in the league, even with Draisaitl. Ovechkin meanwhile is having what somehow might be the season of his HOF career at AGE 36 (!!), and is by no means a distant 3rd, he's right up there with the Oilers duo, and I could even hear a case for him being the leader right now (he has a +/- of 19-higher than both McDavid and Draisaitl (who are both +6), which is made even more impressive by the fact that Backstrom has been out for practically the entire year, and he somehow has just 6 penalty minutes).

Vezina: 1) Jack Campbell 2) Igor Shesterkin 3) Frederik Andersen (Also in the running: Tristan Jarry, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Jacob Markstrom)
Campbell has the best Sv% (.939) AND the best GAA (1.87) in the league. He's been a revelation for the Leafs, and is the clear front-runner right now in my mind (also has 4 shutouts). I could really hear arguments for almost any order after that-Shesterkin has been brilliant, Andersen has rediscovered the fountain of youth and then some, Jarry has been stunningly good after last year's first round exit, and Vasi is-well, having another phenomenal season as the greatest goaltender on earth. Also not to be ignored is Markstrom, who has been a tad shaky of late but still has a 2.15 GAA and a league-leading 5 shutouts.

Calder: 1) Lucas Raymond 2) Moritz Seider 3) Trevor Zegras
Raymond and Seider have been huge reasons why the Red Wings are not out of contention yet, Raymond having slightly more points (specifically, more goals, they each have 19 assists) is really the only reason why he's ahead in my mind. Zegras has been terrific, but is definitely 3rd for now.

Norris: 1) Adam Fox 2) Victor Hedman 3) Roman Josi (In the running: Cale Makar, Aaron Ekblad, John Carlson)
Makar missed some time earlier in the year after getting off to a very slow start, so he's got some ground to make up (though holy smokes he's been making it up in a hurry). In my mind, despite Hedman leading D-men in points, no blue-liner is more valuable to his team than Fox, who also leads D-men in assists. Roman Josi is also quietly having a terrific season for the Preds, as is Ekblad for the Panthers. Carlson is doing very well for the Caps as usual, but ultimately I think it'll come down to the aforementioned five.

Breakout player of the year: 1) Troy Terry 2) Ryan Hartman 3) Evan Rodrigues (In the running: Jesper Bratt)
I could hear arguments for Jordan Kyrou, Chandler Stephenson and Chris Kreider, but those two were already good before playing amazing. These 4 were practically UNHEARD OF before playing amazing. Terry has cooled off a touch since his red-hot start but is still playing far beyond what anybody else expected, Hartman and Rodrigues are having the seasons of their lives, and Bratt quietly is almost a point-per-game player (32 in 34 games).

I would currently bet on Ovi to win the Rocket, and McDavid to win the Art Ross.
Forgot about the Selke, but will save that for another time.
SevenLeg, A_Habs_fan, MatthewsFan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 4:24 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188

I think we can all agree on the nominees as of now. McDavid and Draisaitl are neck-and-neck in the stat sheet right now, but McDavid is the leader at this point in my mind simply because I think he's more valuable to his team than any other player in the league, even with Draisaitl. Ovechkin meanwhile is having what somehow might be the season of his HOF career at AGE 36 (!!), and is by no means a distant 3rd, he's right up there with the Oilers duo, and I could even hear a case for him being the leader right now (he has a +/- of 19-higher than both McDavid and Draisaitl (who are both +6), which is made even more impressive by the fact that Backstrom has been out for practically the entire year, and he somehow has just 6 penalty minutes).

Vezina: 1) Jack Campbell 2) Igor Shesterkin 3) Frederik Andersen (Also in the running: Tristan Jarry, Andrei Vasilevskiy, Jacob Markstrom)
Campbell has the best Sv% (.939) AND the best GAA (1.87) in the league. He's been a revelation for the Leafs, and is the clear front-runner right now in my mind (also has 4 shutouts). I could really hear arguments for almost any order after that-Shesterkin has been brilliant, Andersen has rediscovered the fountain of youth and then some, Jarry has been stunningly good after last year's first round exit, and Vasi is-well, having another phenomenal season as the greatest goaltender on earth. Also not to be ignored is Markstrom, who has been a tad shaky of late but still has a 2.15 GAA and a league-leading 5 shutouts.

Raymond and Seider have been huge reasons why the Red Wings are not out of contention yet, Raymond having slightly more points (specifically, more goals, they each have 19 assists) is really the only reason why he's ahead in my mind. Zegras has been terrific, but is definitely 3rd for now.

Norris: 1) Adam Fox 2) Victor Hedman 3) Roman Josi (In the running: Cale Makar, Aaron Ekblad, John Carlson)
Makar missed some time earlier in the year after getting off to a very slow start, so he's got some ground to make up (though holy smokes he's been making it up in a hurry). In my mind, despite Hedman leading D-men in points, no blue-liner is more valuable to his team than Fox, who also leads D-men in assists. Roman Josi is also quietly having a terrific season for the Preds, as is Ekblad for the Panthers. Carlson is doing very well for the Caps as usual, but ultimately I think it'll come down to the aforementioned five.

Breakout player of the year: 1) Troy Terry 2) Ryan Hartman 3) Evan Rodrigues (In the running: Jesper Bratt)
I could hear arguments for Jordan Kyrou, Chandler Stephenson and Chris Kreider, but those two were already good before playing amazing. These 4 were practically UNHEARD OF before playing amazing. Terry has cooled off a touch since his red-hot start but is still playing far beyond what anybody else expected, Hartman and Rodrigues are having the seasons of their lives, and Bratt quietly is almost a point-per-game player (32 in 34 games).

I would currently bet on Ovi to win the Rocket, and McDavid to win the Art Ross.

The NHL should have a breakout player of the year award
Just like the NBA who have the Most improve player of the year
zk97 and yikes liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 4:31 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: Devil1122
The NHL should have a breakout player of the year award
Just like the NBA who have the Most improve player of the year

They also need a defensive dman of the year award. As the Norris seems to be for more offensive Dman (points play a big part in winning it)

Maybe call it the Nicklas Lidstrom award
A_Habs_fan and Saskleaf liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 4:32 p.m.
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188

I think the breakout player of the year has to be Kadri. He has 42 points in only 27 games this year (6 less games than McDavid, 7 less games than the other 3 guys in front of him), which is good for 5th in points, 4th in points per game. He was known before as a good 2C with a career high of around 60 points, which he is still on pace to double, and hasn't slowed down even though MacKinnon is back (he has an active 10 game point streak where he has put up 5-12-17).
Jan. 7, 2022 at 4:59 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

Rangers fans cheering when the Devils took Hughes. This is hiliaroustears of joy
Rangers are a poverty franchise
capsfan2121, Db1899, EsoYeezus69 and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 5:01 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

capsfan2121, A_Habs_fan, MitchMarner_16 and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 5:13 p.m.
The isles really miss Ryan Pulock…was having a great start to the season despite having Chara as his D partner

capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 5:21 p.m.
Ovchinnikov 137

Zegras is my favorite non-Devils player
He's a beauty

Couldn't agree more, mine too!
capsfan2121 and Devil liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 5:59 p.m.
Speak of the Devil

@EsoYeezus69 @JustaBoss
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69, justaBoss and 3 others liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Db1899
Me when Chara and Greene retire after this season

😂😂😂 same man
EsoYeezus69, Db1899, A_Habs_fan and 2 others liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 6:01 p.m.
Ex Nucks fan

EsoYeezus69 JustaBoss

Ken Holland:

John Klingberg for Bouchard, Broberg, and two firsts
EsoYeezus69, Db1899, A_Habs_fan and 1 other person liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
What in tarnation

EsoYeezus69 JustaBoss

Interesting
capsfan2121, EsoYeezus69 and yikes liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 6:02 p.m.
Jinx god

EsoYeezus69 JustaBoss

Check your source, I’m not believing a word Pag has to say.

If it comes from someone reliable like Mike Heika, Matthew DeFranks or Saad Yousef then I’ll believe it, but this is the same guy that said Chychrun was available when the Yotes openly stated that what he said was false.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:06 p.m.
Tintin over 1122

zk97 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:53 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Blues Broadcast:
YTD - the Caps are 29th Ranked Team on PP in NHL this season!!

* Just checked NHL.com
- Blues #1 PP @ 30%
- Caps #29 PP @ 15% (#28-Philly / #30-NJ).
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 8:56 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: McGruff
Blues Broadcast:
YTD - the Caps are 29th Ranked Team on PP in NHL this season!!

* Just checked NHL.com
- Blues #1 PP 30%
- Caps #29 PP 15% (#28-Philly / #30-NJ).

Way to rub it in my face. It’s a waste of 2 minutes. I’d rather be 5 v 5
McGruff liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 9:09 p.m.
GM CRIME DAWG
Quoting: capsfan2121
Way to rub it in my face. It’s a waste of 2 minutes. I’d rather be 5 v 5

Not my intent CF.
I was super suprised that they were in that lower percentile tis all!
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jan. 7, 2022 at 9:11 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: McGruff
Not my intent CF.
I was super suprised that they were in that lower percentile tis all!

I know. I appreciate the apology. Thank you. It’s because we haven’t been 100 percent healthy and we don’t hit the net
McGruff liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll