SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Discussion Thread #18

Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:06 p.m.
Jinx god
Quoting: justaBoss
Come on, throw me a bone here. Who was it? I want to see someone thrown under the bus, could be a nice change of pace.

Fine here you go.
capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN, DucharmetheDOMinator and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:07 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: EsoYeezus69

Haha I knew it.

It's been almost two years now since I blocked him.
EsoYeezus69, capsfan2121, BuFfaLOFaN and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:08 p.m.
Quoting: hanson493
if the u.s. is going to go to the lengths of banning ALL imports that should also stick to hockey players. sports as a whole is an entertainment business and players are commodities.

Banning individual people from work (hockey is these guys' jobs), who have done nothing wrong, based solely on their ethnicity and/or decisions their governments have made is called racism

It is not the same as banning a country's banner from participating in events such as the olympics.
A_Habs_fan, capsfan2121, DucharmetheDOMinator and 2 others liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:08 p.m.
Haha I knew it.

It's been almost two years now since I blocked him.

that guy's banned too
EsoYeezus69, capsfan2121, justaBoss and 3 others liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: A_Habs_fan
Has international in the name so i'd assume they represent Russia in a way

I mean that could've been easily solved by them doing the exact same thing they did in the Olympics, not representing a country but their Olympic committee or ski association. But they denied even that idea. They just fundamentally decided to close them out, probably to make them an example.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:09 p.m.
theres a literal war going on. they are discriminating themselves by attacking ukraine. eye for an eye. oh well russian players...

Be careful with that comparison; it's a slippery slope. Just becuase the russian government is attacking ukraine, doesnt mean everyone that's russian supports it there. Thats the same as saying all canadians supported the convoy, or all afghans support the taliban, when the vast majority had no say in what happened.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.
Bernier is a question mark, he might be on LTIR for good. And both of those goalies are a bit injury prone, which has been proven this year.

Surely there's another teams as well. BUF and EDM comes to mind. BUF is still lacking an actual NHL goalie and it wouldn't surprise me too much if Holland was after his old goalie too.

Still think ARI is the most logical option. Rocking an all-czech tandem in Vejmelka-Mrazek sounds plausible to me.

Im hoping the sabres sign someone decent to a 2 year contract and play them and UPL in a tandem until the TDL where you trade the guy you signed and hopefully bring up Levi or Portillo to play at the NHL level and get some practice and then run UPL and Levi or Portillo for the 23-24 season. If neither looks ready you don't trade the guy you signed and you play the tandem again for another year and trade them at the 23-24 tdl.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:10 p.m.
Quoting: MitchMarner_16
Banning individual people from work (hockey is these guys' jobs), who have done nothing wrong, based solely on their ethnicity and/or decisions their governments have made is called racism

It is not the same as banning a country's banner from participating in events such as the olympics.

Exactly, you stop associating yourself with Russian companies, hit Russia's economy, stop Russia from participating in international events, etc, you pretty much punish anything that represents Russia or has an impact on Russia as a whole/Russia's decision making but athletes playing for a sports league doesn't change anything
capsfan2121, MitchMarner_16, DucharmetheDOMinator and 1 other person liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
I mean that could've been easily solved by them doing the exact same thing they did in the Olympics, not representing a country but their Olympic committee or ski association. But they denied even that idea. They just fundamentally decided to close them out, probably to make them an example.

I mean, giving them the opportunity to play but not under Russia doesn't change anything, the athletes still consider themselves as representing Russia and Russia sees it like that too, it's an empty gesture
capsfan2121 liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:11 p.m.
Tintin over 1122
Have you ever looked at some of the old discussions we had and say I’ve grow as a person and my mind has gotten smart from learn this stuff
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:12 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
Im hoping the sabres sign someone decent to a 2 year contract and play them and UPL in a tandem until the TDL where you trade the guy you signed and hopefully bring up Levi or Portillo to play at the NHL level and get some practice and then run UPL and Levi or Portillo for the 23-24 season. If neither looks ready you don't trade the guy you signed and you play the tandem again for another year and trade them at the 23-24 tdl.

Well with Mrazek the term works, it's for two years. The contract is little bit over the top but he'd still currently be 1G in Buffalo, and most importantly BUF could potentially gain assets by taking him in as well.

They could go for a UFA option, but I have to wonder who they'd go for. Their options are very limited.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:12 p.m.
What in tarnation
I mean, giving them the opportunity to play but not under Russia doesn't change anything, the athletes still consider themselves as representing Russia and Russia sees it like that too, it's an empty gesture

Indeed.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:14 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Edited Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
i dont think montreal will have any issues morally drafting some russians. hell they drafted mailloux.

There's nothing wrong with drafting Russians, they might not even support putin. On the other hand Mailloux....
BTW it was a different gm who drafted Mailloux, and I don't appreciate having team hating comments like that
MitchMarner_16 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:15 p.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
Have you ever looked at some of the old discussions we had and say I’ve grow as a person and my mind has gotten smart from learn this stuff

I do it all the time with myself. Interesting to look back
Go Habs Go
Quoting: aadoyle
If Matthews retaliated he would have been penalized for interference 100% lul

Refs called nothing this game. Like coyotes are one of the most penalized teams and somehow took no penalties. But it the kind of game where if we did anything penalty would happen

For sure. I don't mean retaliate though. If Chychrun was holding him, they were at least even positionally at one point. Even if he can't keep up to cover Chychrun at that point, if he skates hard he might be able to pressure them into a worse play or get a stick in on the puck.
Standing up with your hands in the air is something you just can't do in the playoffs when the game is on the line.
A_Habs_fan liked this.
v5 Minnesota GM
Sure there is if you're asking Hasek lol. He's not a fan.

I wonder if this goes on for over a year, what's going to happen with Michkov. He's probably the most talented prospect since McDavid and he could be bound to be a 5th round pick.

He's also signed with cska Moscow long term...

... so then why allow them in sports? the entire country has to pay for what the leaders are doing. that goes for basketball, hockey, all sports, vodka, oil producers, farmers, you name it. It doesnt matter if the players may or may not want the war. thats how war works guys. Does Stoli Vodka approve of the war? probably not, thats discrimination on letting their goods into the market... what happens when putin starts launching chemical attacks/nuclear/bio weapons? what happens when millions die and this becomes a 3rd full scale world war? you think hockey is going to exist? its a very slippery REAL slope. you hit russia hard with everything youve got before it gets to that point. did nobody learn anything from germany in world war 2?
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
Well with Mrazek the term works, it's for two years. The contract is little bit over the top but he'd still currently be 1G in Buffalo, and most importantly BUF could potentially gain assets by taking him in as well.

They could go for a UFA option, but I have to wonder who they'd go for. Their options are very limited.

True but I was more thinking someone like Husso.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:16 p.m.
... so then why allow them in sports? the entire country has to pay for what the leaders are doing. that goes for basketball, hockey, all sports, vodka, oil producers, farmers, you name it. It doesnt matter if the players may or may not want the war. thats how war works guys. Does Stoli Vodka approve of the war? probably not, thats discrimination on letting their goods into the market... what happens when putin starts launching chemical attacks/nuclear/bio weapons? what happens when millions die and this becomes a 3rd full scale world war? you think hockey is going to exist? its a very slippery REAL slope. you hit russia hard with everything youve got before it gets to that point. did nobody learn anything from germany in world war 2?

What i said applies to international sports and events, not your local sports leagues
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:18 p.m.
What i said applies to international sports and events, not your local sports leagues

nhl is international. everything about the NHL is international. they may physically play games in north america. but thats just job location.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM

Husso?
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:19 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: BuFfaLOFaN
True but I was more thinking someone like Husso.

I don't think STL can't afford losing him.

That being said the cap for them is super tight and he's having a great year.

Still should BUF go after a 27 year old goalie with one good year and only 40 games played through his career? And is Husso even interested to play in a rebuilding team, knowing he's most likely only a placeholder there. I have to doubt it.
capsfan2121 and BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:20 p.m.
I don't think STL can't afford losing him.

That being said the cap for them is super tight and he's having a great year.

Still should BUF go after a 27 year old goalie with one good year and only 40 games played through his career? And is Husso even interested to play in a rebuilding team, knowing he's most likely only a placeholder there. I have to doubt it.

goalies peak late to begin with, im surprised they werent in on NED when he was struggling to come to an agreement with carolina.
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: Db1899
Trade him please 🙏

I’d love to trade him but I don’t think we will
Mar. 11, 2022 at 3:22 p.m.
What in tarnation
goalies peak late to begin with, im surprised they werent in on NED when he was struggling to come to an agreement with carolina.

I don't think we can call this a peak. It could very well be a one year outburst that can deflate in a year.

Huh. Reminds me of Campbell a bit.
aadoyle liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll