SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-22 NHL Off-season Discussion Thread - #3

Jun. 20, 2022 at 5:41 p.m.
Quoting: Saskleaf
You guys can have pick 25 for CBrown.

I don't see it. Rental who will be too expensive to re-sign and lacks the positional versatility that this forward group could really use. If they trade their 1st it'll be in a deal of greater consequence, imo.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 5:49 p.m.
Quoting: justaBoss
Coleman's value came from the fact he had two years of term.

Kerfoot is that low on ATOI because Leafs is so top heavy team. Brown is one of Ottawa's top assets, but same can't be said about Kerfoot and Toronto. Both players would end up playing in depth roles in actual contenders.

I can see Brown half retained getting a similar to deal to what for instance Copp got (maybe little less than that given Copp can play C), but a straight first...nah. There's too many iffy explanations there, I don't see a GM being like yeah he's worth a ton he just got hindered by the fact that he had to play with f*cking Tierney. If anything that should be on OTT coaching staff, which is not exactly great in my opinion.

Coleman's value came from the fact that he provided 2-3mil in excess value when compared to his cap hit. Returning a 1st AND Foote (still seen as a good prospect at the time) was due to his term, I think it's fair to say that if he was only a rental for one playoff run rather than two, he'd have half the value (in this case, a 1st). And I think Brown can provide that as well. And he wasn't exactly hindered by playing with Tierney, he just showed that if sh*t hits the fan and he's one of like three NHL quality forwards on the team, he can handle big minutes and still score 20+ goals (which is what Coleman was doing the year he was traded), whereas this year he's shown that he can complement higher skilled players while remaining the best defensive presence on the forward corps and #1 PKer. If a team is up against the cap, desperate for depth scoring, and would like to improve their PK, Brown at 1.8mil checks all those boxes, so I think it's reasonable to believe he could fetch a pick in the 20s. Like I said though, I'd rather it be a targeted trade (i.e. on draft day, if a guy they like is there, trade Brown, don't just trade him ahead of the draft and hope a guy you like falls to that slot). I also don't think blaming Toronto being top heavy is justified for Kerfoot considering their LW depth isn't that great, and he didn't seize the opportunity to be a top 6 mainstay. It's not like he was competing with the big 4 for ice time, he just had to outduel Mikheyev (similar style as well, but came in to the year low on value to his absolutely atrocious shot last year, although it improved this year), Bunting (rookie), and Engvall (career 4th liner). He's also their #3 forward in SHTOI/GP. Presumably a team trading for Brown would be using him on their top PK unit, and that would be part of their interest in acquiring him. For example on the Capitals, 3 of their top 5 PKers by SHTOI/GP in the regular season are either injured (Wilson, Hagelin) or a UFA (Larsson), and I think Eller's been in trade rumours too, so they might be interested in picking up a good PKer that can provide some depth scoring.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 5:55 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: LeafsFanForSomeReason
I don't see it. Rental who will be too expensive to re-sign and lacks the positional versatility that this forward group could really use. If they trade their 1st it'll be in a deal of greater consequence, imo.

Oh he’s a rental now? I didn’t know that. In that case I’m not sure I would do it.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 6:07 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Alfie11
Coleman's value came from the fact that he provided 2-3mil in excess value when compared to his cap hit. Returning a 1st AND Foote (still seen as a good prospect at the time) was due to his term, I think it's fair to say that if he was only a rental for one playoff run rather than two, he'd have half the value (in this case, a 1st). And I think Brown can provide that as well. And he wasn't exactly hindered by playing with Tierney, he just showed that if sh*t hits the fan and he's one of like three NHL quality forwards on the team, he can handle big minutes and still score 20+ goals (which is what Coleman was doing the year he was traded), whereas this year he's shown that he can complement higher skilled players while remaining the best defensive presence on the forward corps and #1 PKer. If a team is up against the cap, desperate for depth scoring, and would like to improve their PK, Brown at 1.8mil checks all those boxes, so I think it's reasonable to believe he could fetch a pick in the 20s. Like I said though, I'd rather it be a targeted trade (i.e. on draft day, if a guy they like is there, trade Brown, don't just trade him ahead of the draft and hope a guy you like falls to that slot). I also don't think blaming Toronto being top heavy is justified for Kerfoot considering their LW depth isn't that great, and he didn't seize the opportunity to be a top 6 mainstay. It's not like he was competing with the big 4 for ice time, he just had to outduel Mikheyev (similar style as well, but came in to the year low on value to his absolutely atrocious shot last year, although it improved this year), Bunting (rookie), and Engvall (career 4th liner). He's also their #3 forward in SHTOI/GP. Presumably a team trading for Brown would be using him on their top PK unit, and that would be part of their interest in acquiring him. For example on the Capitals, 3 of their top 5 PKers by SHTOI/GP in the regular season are either injured (Wilson, Hagelin) or a UFA (Larsson), and I think Eller's been in trade rumours too, so they might be interested in picking up a good PKer that can provide some depth scoring.

Brown has some redeeming qualities but I still can't see him netting a first with one year left. There's so many examples of players of his level and or better guys just not doing that - teams worth their salt just don't spend this much for depth unless there's some major advantage behind it, such as a steal of a contract or multiple years of term.. While there's an obvious need for a guy like Brown for team like WSH, they're not exactly cap strapped with Bäckström and Hagelin on LTIR, they can find a player of Brown's caliber from free agency (Paul for instance). Guys like him just don't net first rounders when rentals - Lehkonen has been the latest mid-6 guy dealt for overpayment and even there wasn't a first rounder included, although Barron technically constitutes as one from couple of years ago. And he was a RFA.

Most I can see Brown net right now is like two seconds or so. But if we see Kerfoot being dumped like for 3rd round pick or so...Brown is not going to net even those two seconds.
Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 6:10 p.m.
Quoting: csick
Anyone got any insights on Kasper? Seems like there’s rumours Gauthier and Kasper are going above Kemell and Savoie .

He's Austrian and his stock has been rising due to a big world championships (he was also Austria's captain at the short-lived WJC and was great for the top men's team in a November tournament). He's got an NHL frame (6'1", could use a few pounds of strength but what 18yo couldn't), and is smart, fast, and skilled. He's got a hard shot, incredible compete level, elite athleticism, and a good 2-way game. He can also play centre or the wing, and has experience against men (was good in the SHL). He's also feisty, wins battles, and fights to the inside. He's basically the classic example of very good at literally everything, but not top at any one thing (except maybe his compete level, he's very driven). I think he's been rising due to his WC and his ability to play C in a draft with a weakness up the middle after the top 2 (also why Gauthier has been rising, and Kasper is the next best C with some size, Nazar is more skilled but smaller, Lambert has other issues, and then you get into the range of guys like Kulich, who has also been rising).
csick liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:06 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
Hearing that Kevin Weekes is hearing that Ryan Husk will be the next head coach of the Chicago Blackhawks
oilersguy liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:08 p.m.
Speak of the Devil
https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1539020890779922438

FVu0McWWIAA0Jlk?format=jpg&name=900x900
zk97 and Saskleaf liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:12 p.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Devil

who
(yes he's CGY's defensive coach but like who)
Saskleaf and Devil liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:13 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Devil

I love how 80% of the comments were just the word "who".

But I would have put the exact same thing lol.
zk97, Devil and A_Habs_fan liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:39 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: Db1899
I’m sure Burns will agree to waive his NTC to come to a team where he’d have to shave his beard and play a 3rd pair role

I can vividly imagine the world where Burns shaves it and it’s like

“New place, new face”
“Fresh start and a fresh look” type quote with Lou frowning off to the side at the trade presser with a beardless Burns.
DirtyDangle, Db1899, zk97 and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:43 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: yikes
I can vividly imagine the world where Burns shaves it and it’s like

“New place, new face”
“Fresh start and a fresh look” type quote with Lou frowning off to the side at the trade presser with a beardless Burns.

I, for one, cannot imagine a world with a beardless Brent Burns. That would be like a bald Jagr.
DirtyDangle and yikes liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:44 p.m.
😂

Isnt Isles RD full with Dobson, Pulock, Mayfield?
DirtyDangle, Db1899, yikes and 2 others liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:47 p.m.
Quoting: UpsideDownQue

Burns doesn’t play defense anyway so you might as well throw him on the left. Can’t be worse than Chara
yikes, EsoYeezus69, Devil and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 7:51 p.m.
retired
Burns doesn’t play defense anyway so you might as well throw him on the left. Can’t be worse than Chara

it would be pretty funny if they moved him back to forward
Jun. 20, 2022 at 8:19 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith

Quoting: UpsideDownQue

Quoting: DirtyDangle
it would be pretty funny if they moved him back to forward

Don’t tell me it’s Beau AND MAYFIELD for Burns🥲🤤🤤🤤😍
Jun. 20, 2022 at 9:20 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Edited Jun. 20, 2022 at 9:51 p.m.
San Jose Sharks
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥
🔥🕯Beau for Burns🕯🔥

Its probs gonna be Bailey for Burns if were being honest should this be legit of NYI wanting him
EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:20 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Quoting: aadoyle
Its probs gonna be Bailey for Burns if were being honest should this be legit of NYI wanting him

And that’s what I see behind the smoke and mirrors too of fun banter.

And it’s horrifying - because it’s both terrifyingly bad for San Jose yet incredibly smart.

3 outcomes

A) Burns excels and makes San Jose look like they got robbed
- yeah sure we’ve dealt with this with Karlsson, this is a pebble inna pond - it’s nothing. Good for him.
As a Sharks fan I’m “constitutionally” bound to having to drink pure “pain and suffering”.
(This is a joke I am Canadian)
B) Bailey performs or doesn’t it doesn’t matter.
- Bailey performs and regardless will look like a smart move with financial help for upcoming deals for the likes of Bordeleau, Meier, Ferraro etc etc etc it goes a long way saving a year of relief fully and 2.5m each year prior for a good player.
AND if Bailey doesn’t perform his buyout is clean and easy. Especially next year.
C) Burns falls hard.
- again regardless Baileys performance DOESNT MATTER. If Burns falls off a cliff there’s basically zero buyout benefit and he has more term and more cap hit. And he brings the dreaded TRADE list with him (lol hey Dadonov).

@AndrewLadd and @DB1899 have a right to be worried if some how the bad juju of two poor writers/ “aka insiders quote ON QUOTE” - Peng and Nichols - puts an incredibly risky idea into reality.

If they conjure up this demon of a deal - have mercy ladies.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:28 p.m.

And that’s what I see behind the smoke and mirrors too of fun banter.

And it’s horrifying - because it’s both terrifyingly bad for San Jose yet incredibly smart.

3 outcomes

A) Burns excels and makes San Jose look like they got robbed
- yeah sure we’ve dealt with this with Karlsson, this is a pebble inna pond - it’s nothing. Good for him.
As a Sharks fan I’m “constitutionally” deserving to drink “pain”.
B) Bailey performs or doesn’t it doesn’t matter.
- Bailey performs and regardless will look like a smart move with financial help for upcoming deals for the likes of Bordeleau, Meier, Ferraro etc etc etc it goes a long way saving a year of relief fully and 2.5m each year prior for a good player.
AND if Bailey doesn’t perform his buyout is clean and easy. Especially next year.
C) Burns falls hard.
- again regardless Baileys performance DOESNT MATTER. If Burns falls off a cliff there’s basically zero buyout benefit and he has more term and more cap hit. And he brings the dreaded TRADE list with him (lol hey Dadonov).

AndrewLadd and DB1899 have a right to be worried if some how the bad juju of two poor writers/ “aka insiders quote ON QUOTE” - Peng and Nichols - puts an incredibly risky idea into reality.

If they conjure up this demon of a deal - have mercy ladies.

Shoutout to burns being Obsessed with his beard , nothing to worry about huff

I just wish these writers came up with more realistic trades , the isles might have the best right defense core in the league, even dinosaur Lou wouldn’t do something this crazy
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:35 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
Edited Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:48 p.m.
Shoutout to burns being Obsessed with his beard , nothing to worry about huff

I just wish these writers came up with more realistic trades , the isles might have the best right defense core in the league, even dinosaur Lou wouldn’t do something this crazy

See Sheng knows the rumours insane with Seravelli tweeting Beau out - obviously fans know EVENTUALLY it wouldn’t be Beau (Shengs actually playing 800IQ 6D chess and making this insane trade happen). No really… That’s a dumb trade…. (So Lou please do it).

But, Bailey makes sense - for all the reasons I pointed out. It’s a real gamble for both teams. I see it as a SJS win but if you’re Lou expecting to see zero sign of Burns regression and want some ability (for what Burns is he is almost worth the AAV) and he would give the Isles a probably 60 point weapon from the back end. Then I can see the idea coming to fruition and a trade call.

But again. It’s such a weird rumour to start and no one else has commented on it yet - it just sounds like for now it’s made up by two dudes. Half of Shengs updates/ scoops are click bait (you clicked this to learn nothing and visit my site).
Db1899 liked this.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:49 p.m.
EklundCelebriniSmith
See Sheng knows the rumours insane with Seravelli tweeting Beau out - obviously fans know EVENTUALLY it wouldn’t be Beau (Shengs actually playing 800IQ 6D chess and making this insane trade happen). No really… That’s a dumb trade…. (So Lou please do it).

But, Bailey makes sense - for all the reasons I pointed out. It’s a real gamble for both teams. I see it as a SJS win but if you’re Lou expecting to see zero sign of Burns regression and want some ability (for what Burns is he is almost worth the AAV) and he would give the Isles a probably 60 point weapon from the back end. Then I can see the idea coming to fruition and a trade call.

But again. It’s such a weird rumour to start and no one else has commented on it yet - it just sounds like for now it’s made up by two dudes. Half of Shengs updates/ scoops are click bait (you clicked this to learn nothing and visit my site).

Felt like defending Burns:
Burns is a weapon. Don’t get it twisted. His shot from the backend can cause havoc and he really puts an awesome tempo up when the games buzzing. Constant offensive zone “events” happening all over the Ozone with puck movement and chances.

A good Burns game can tip the game and he could easily impact 40+ games in a notable way (postively).
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:50 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Felt like defending Burns:
Burns is a weapon. Don’t get it twisted. His shot from the backend can cause havoc and he really puts an awesome tempo up when the games buzzing. Constant offensive zone “events” happening all over the Ozone with puck movement and chances.

Burns to me should go to Buffalo as if you really think about it he helps them

As he can mentor Power and get them to the cap floor without the need to take on more LTIR deals.
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:51 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Burns to me should go to Buffalo as if you really think about it he helps them

As he can mentor Power and get them to the cap floor without the need to take on more LTIR deals.

*Petry
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:53 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
*Petry

Petry I feel is either gonna end up in Dallas or Pittsburgh
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:54 p.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Petry I feel is either gonna end up in Dallas or Pittsburgh

Detroit too is a possibility imo

Pittsburgh, really doesn't have the assets we'd like for Petry, so I don't think it works out there
Jun. 20, 2022 at 11:55 p.m.
Hakuna Matata
Quoting: DucharmetheDOMinator
Detroit too is a possibility imo

Pittsburgh, really doesn't have the assets we'd like for Petry, so I don't think it works out there

Petry is gonna want to go to a competitor

I dont think hes gonna want to be in Detroit as his stats are gonna tank when they allow 10 goals a game again

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll