SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

2021-2022 NHL Offseason Discussion Thread #9 - The Demise (Revival?) of Calgary

Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:04 a.m.
Farewell
Indulging in a bit of shameless self-promotion here, I made a second quiz recapping the 2021-22 season. If I do say so myself, it's pretty awesome, and ENORMOUSLY difficult. There's no chance you'll get all 25 questions correct (though somebody somehow got 23, amazingly).

Posting this here because a lot of people who gave positive feedback about the first one don't seem to have taken the second one, I think they just haven't seen the thread (or maybe they're just not interested, but hey, only one way to find out).

Click here to take the quiz (This link takes you to the thread discussing the quiz, once there just hit the link to actually take the quiz)
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:07 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: aadoyle
Wonder with Virtanen being proven innocent does an NHL team take a chance or is he just done and a KHL guy for life

Well, he wasn't proven innocent, just found not guilty. Not quite the same thing.

Still, I think a team will take a chance eventually.
csick liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:15 a.m.
Quoting: PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188
Well, he wasn't proven innocent, just found not guilty. Not quite the same thing.

Still, I think a team will take a chance eventually.

Innocence is presumed and guilt must be proved. He was not found guilty therefore he is innocent.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:21 a.m.
Farewell
Quoting: J2W
Innocence is presumed and guilt must be proved. He was not found guilty therefore he is innocent.

The first half of that statement is correct, the second half is bizzare. Of course guilt must be proven, that's why we have the legal system. But my point is that just because someone is found not guilty doesn't mean he is actually innocent. Maybe Virtanen is, maybe he isn't-and I agree that since the court found him not guilty, that's a major point in his favor. But it doesn't mean that we know with 100% certainty that he didn't commit the crime (by your logic, O.J. Simpson was proven innocent since he was found not guilty).

But I agree that Virtanen shouldn't continue to be blacklisted if a court of law found him not guilty.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:35 a.m.
The first half of that statement is correct, the second half is bizzare. Of course guilt must be proven, that's why we have the legal system. But my point is that just because someone is found not guilty doesn't mean he is actually innocent. Maybe Virtanen is, maybe he isn't-and I agree that since the court found him not guilty, that's a major point in his favor. But it doesn't mean that we know with 100% certainty that he didn't commit the crime (by your logic, O.J. Simpson was proven innocent since he was found not guilty).

But I agree that Virtanen shouldn't continue to be blacklisted if a court of law found him not guilty.

If innocence is presumed, then what is a person who has not been found guilty of a crime? Presumption of innocence doesn't disappear when a not guilty verdict is delivered. We almost never know with 100% certainty, but in a civilized society a person doesn't need to prove their innocence the accusers must prove guilt. You might not think he is innocent, but in the eyes of the law he is.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:37 a.m.
Speak of the Devil

"As a verdict, not guilty means the fact finder finds that the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof. A not guilty verdict does not mean that the defendant truly is innocent but rather that for legal purposes they will be found not guilty because the prosecution did not meet the burden."
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:40 a.m.
Quoting: Devil
"As a verdict, not guilty means the fact finder finds that the prosecution did not meet its burden of proof. A not guilty verdict does not mean that the defendant truly is innocent but rather that for legal purposes they will be found not guilty because the prosecution did not meet the burden."

If a person is innocent until proven guilty, and guilt can't be proven, then the person would be considered what?
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:41 a.m.
Farewell

Precisely. Doesn't mean that we should keep assuming that he's guilty (obviously), and we certainly shouldn't treat him as such, but he is not "proven" innocent.
Speak of the Devil
If a person is innocent until proven guilty, and guilt can't be proven, then the person would be considered what?

He is considered not guilty

I don't think this is an appropriate discussion for the NHL offseason thread. Let's stop it here
PointStamkosVasilevskiy219188, yikes, zk97 and 1 other person liked this.
Farewell

You're missing our point. We agree with you that he should be CONSIDERED innocent. Our point is that he was not PROVEN innocent.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:42 a.m.
Farewell

I don't think this is an appropriate discussion for the NHL offseason thread. Let's stop it here

Smart man. Agreed.

(Let's start a legal thread in "The Box" smile)
Devil, AndrewLadd, BuFfaLOFaN and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 12:47 a.m.
Edited Jul. 27, 2022 at 1:09 a.m.

And considering not guilty means that the presumption of innocence he is afforded has not been stripped from him, he should be viewed as innocent. Considering it directly impacts how a player on the open market should be viewed by teams I don't see why it wouldn't be appropriate, but since it basically boils down to semantics, sure let's stop.

You're missing our point. We agree with you that he should be CONSIDERED innocent. Our point is that he was not PROVEN innocent.

We agree then, since I never said he was proven innocent, I said he doesn't have to prove he is innocent, because that's his, and every other persons, natural state unless proven guilty.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 1:52 a.m.
v5 Minnesota GM
Bit late, but , the best part of the Huberdeau - Tkachuk trade, is that, we won't here that awful Panthers announcer do his
Hubby doooooo be doooooooo
BuFfaLOFaN and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 7:12 a.m.
Quoting: aadoyle
Wonder with Virtanen being proven innocent does an NHL team take a chance or is he just done and a KHL guy for life

He had issues besides that though, personality wise and he’s pretty much a top 6 or bust player, can’t play in the bottom 6
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 7:27 a.m.
Farewell
I watched the "Welcome to the NHL" draft documentary last night, and it's AWESOME. Follows the draft days of Slafkovsky, Cooley, Wright, Christian Kyrou, and (somewhat randomly) Jeremy Langlois. Available both on ESPN+ or right here on the NHL's YT channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Te0Xs2v7s4&t=18s). Definitely recommend watching all 46 minutes.

A couple of thoughts on it:
-Logan Cooley seems like a really sweet, mature guy. Comes across as a genuinely nice human being.
-Slafkovsky is the perfect balance of confidence and maturity without being arrogant. You feel genuinely happy for him when he goes #1.
-And you feel bad for Shane Wright. It's clear he never thought he'd slip that far. He might come off as a little cocky, but he handles it with grace. Also really cool to see his reaction as he gets calls/texts from Yanni Gourde, Mitch Marner, and some guy named Wayne Gretzky.
-The parents of Slafkovsky, Wright and Cooley all seem like great parents-to highlight one moment, when Cooley is taken at 3 by the Coyotes, (Shane) Wright's face absolutely falls. He says quietly to his father "It hurts. It hurts." His father puts a hand on his shoulder, and says strongly "It's not about when you go, it's about what you do once you're taken. Where you go and what you do." Also sweet to see all the mothers crying when their sons get drafted.
-Bill Armstrong (Coyotes GM) is a beast. Presence in the room is huge, very strong-willed, intelligent personality. Hope the Yotes have some success under him.

Again, highly recommended.
BuFfaLOFaN, Devil, AndrewLadd and 2 others liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 8:02 a.m.
I watched the "Welcome to the NHL" draft documentary last night, and it's AWESOME. Follows the draft days of Slafkovsky, Cooley, Wright, Christian Kyrou, and (somewhat randomly) Jeremy Langlois. Available both on ESPN+ or right here on the NHL's YT channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Te0Xs2v7s4&t=18s). Definitely recommend watching all 46 minutes.

A couple of thoughts on it:
-Logan Cooley seems like a really sweet, mature guy. Comes across as a genuinely nice human being.
-Slafkovsky is the perfect balance of confidence and maturity without being arrogant. You feel genuinely happy for him when he goes #1.
-And you feel bad for Shane Wright. It's clear he never thought he'd slip that far. He might come off as a little cocky, but he handles it with grace. Also really cool to see his reaction as he gets calls/texts from Yanni Gourde, Mitch Marner, and some guy named Wayne Gretzky.
-The parents of Slafkovsky, Wright and Cooley all seem like great parents-to highlight one moment, when Cooley is taken at 3 by the Coyotes, (Shane) Wright's face absolutely falls. He says quietly to his father "It hurts. It hurts." His father puts a hand on his shoulder, and says strongly "It's not about when you go, it's about what you do once you're taken. Where you go and what you do." Also sweet to see all the mothers crying when their sons get drafted.
-Bill Armstrong (Coyotes GM) is a beast. Presence in the room is huge, very strong-willed, intelligent personality. Hope the Yotes have some success under him.

Again, highly recommended.

I was actually slightly turned off on Wright after watching this, made me think he went in the right spot at 4. But I think Slafkovsky is going to be an absolute super star.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 8:35 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
question, what happened with josh ho sang.why didnt he have a full time spot
Jul. 27, 2022 at 8:43 a.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
question, what happened with josh ho sang.why didnt he have a full time spot

because he wasn’t good enough
Jul. 27, 2022 at 8:44 a.m.
Tintin over 1122
Quoting: Alfie11
because he wasn’t good enough

looking at his numbers he produced
Jul. 27, 2022 at 8:47 a.m.
Quoting: capsfan2121
looking at his numbers he produced

not in the NHL
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 9:19 a.m.
Anyone know what LA’s doing at forward? They have wayyyyy too many forwards, they’re going to have to move some of their younger guys because someone’s growth will be stunted. Kopitar, Fiala, Kempe, Moore, Danault, Arvidsson, Iafallo, Byfield, Kaliyev, Grundstrom, Lizotte, Lemieux, Vilardi, Andersson, Turcotte, Kupari, Anderson-Dolan, Fa*emo, Wagner, Madden and the list goes on
BuFfaLOFaN, capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 9:20 a.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Some team should sign Jonathan Dahlén
yikes, capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 9:28 a.m.
retired
Quoting: Alfie11
not in the NHL

24 points in 53 games is decent for a young player. i think he's probably just a headache off the ice.
capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 9:29 a.m.
Speak of the Devil
Quoting: SevenLeg

Some team should sign Nazem Kadri
zk97 and EsoYeezus69 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2022 at 9:31 a.m.
KFTW
Quoting: SevenLeg

There’s a lot of 3rd line guys on the market still available . Kinda funny . There are the guys that want 3 x 3 type deals but they’re not getting it
capsfan2121 and zk97 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll